Frozen Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
^ yeah what the actual fuck is going on? If it's happening to a bunch of us it's probably some defect in the system.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by rickp703
TSX Club let me upload the invoices... Click on this link to take you to my posting on TSXclub.com

Thanks,

Rickp703

Brake Failure in Cold Weather - No Joke - Page 3 - Acura TSX Forum
I"m too lazy to join the tsx forum to see your invoices. However, I'm curious. Did they charge you for all the unnecessary work before they stumbled upon the check valve?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by TLer trash
I"m too lazy to join the tsx forum to see your invoices. However, I'm curious. Did they charge you for all the unnecessary work before they stumbled upon the check valve?
Nope his invoice says N/C = No Charge
Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Good! Woulda been b.s. if they had charged him. In my opinion.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:32 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Yeah be careful out there. I had this happen to me on my 2G TL a couple of years back. Luckily I realized before I got out of my girlfriend's apparently complex and was able to engine brake and mash the pedal as hard as I could. Even though I wasn't on the road, it was scary.

You should pump the pedal a few times while rolling in D before you really get the car going IMO.

How many miles on the car since the last brake flush? It might be time for new fluid. I'd be more concerned if this still happened after flushing the brakes.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess is that there must be something wrong with the brake fluid.

I have never had problems with the brakes on my 2012 TSX. It's been warmer than usual this year in the Canadian Prairies, but the last 2 winters had plenty of -30°C days (ambient temperature). I have never experienced even a stiff brake pedal feel.

As noted above, wind chill does not affect inanimate objects other than to provide enhanced convective dissipation of heat.

For any of the US folks, cold could never explain any of the problems you are experiencing. Honda does make anything different between the US and Canadian variants (other than a larger windshield washer fluid tank, higher strength coolant and daylight running lights).
Old 02-25-2015, 01:04 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by computerwizard56
My guess is that there must be something wrong with the brake fluid.

I have never had problems with the brakes on my 2012 TSX. It's been warmer than usual this year in the Canadian Prairies, but the last 2 winters had plenty of -30°C days (ambient temperature). I have never experienced even a stiff brake pedal feel.

As noted above, wind chill does not affect inanimate objects other than to provide enhanced convective dissipation of heat.

For any of the US folks, cold could never explain any of the problems you are experiencing. Honda does make anything different between the US and Canadian variants (other than a larger windshield washer fluid tank, higher strength coolant and daylight running lights).
I'm guessing you meant Honda does not make anything different.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:16 PM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Anyone still experiencing this? Car has been sold to my cousin for a year now, 170k on it. Still has this issue.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,612 Likes on 6,651 Posts
brake fluid freezing is my guess too
Old 02-07-2018, 02:35 PM
2010 TSX 5AT PWP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also had the frozen brake pedal when cold out. 2010 Acura TSX Base.
I fixed it by replacing the check valve and tubing which is the following part.46402-TL2-A11
Tube Assembly, Master Power
$49.95
The following users liked this post:
stewxQQ (02-15-2018)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:12 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsx-pwp-nj
I fixed it by replacing the check valve and tubing which is the following part.46402-TL2-A11
$49.95
have you experienced this problem after this fix? May I ask which dealer did you go?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by rickp703
Hi everyone,

I too have experienced the "Frozen Brakes" at temperatures below 10 degrees or so - living in Chicago, this has happened many times. Since I have an Acura Extended Warranty, I brought the car to Ed Napleton Acura in Elmhurst, Illinois... and they took this situation very seriously.

Here is the events as they happened - sorry for the long post, but I hope it will assist others deal with this VERY unsafe situation.

First off, I dropped the car off in the late afternoon & I demanded the car sit outside overnight without being touched and that the first person who started it be a Tech or a Service Adviser (I didn't want a porter saying he could not replicate the problem). They allowed me to drive a loaded 2015 MDX while my car was being looked at (pretty nice ride, I must say - got to drive it for 2 weeks )

The next morning, they called & stated ... "We definately understand your concern as we had the same frozen brake pedal, unable to firmly stop the car type situation happen to us, until the car reached operating temperature".

They had indicated they had not seen this happen before, so they were going to work with Acura "Tech-line" to troubleshoot the situation.

First thing they did was flush the Brake fluid, thinking that there could be condensation in the fluid or lines which could freeze. I had the fluid changed by them only 6 months ago, but even still they told me it would not be chargable if found not to be the problem... so I said OK (this would have cost $150.00 if it was the problem). It was not the problem - the fluid was clean & fine. After replacing the fluid the problem remained.

A few warm days slowed progress, but they let me drive the MDX as they were working with Acura to resolve & document the problem.

A few more days transpired & they ordered a ""Master Cylinder, a "Brake Assist" and a "Check Valve" receiving guidance from Acura to replace these parts 1 by 1 to determine the failure.

To make a long story short, about another week went by & it has been resolved that the Master Power Check Valve for Brake system was the failed part.

It has been replaced & things are perfect now!!

When I mentioned the amount of posts to my dealer they stated that documenting issues like this is one of the important pieces of info that can lead to TSBs and / or Recalls, but at this time they are still accumulating data.

I wish you all very safe cars & hope my story will allow you to share this experience with your dealers or repair shops in case you have the exact same situation.

If you wish to see a copy of the invoices from the dealer, please email me & I can forward.

Stay warm everyone - not too much longer to spring!

have you experienced this problem again after you did this fix back in 2015?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM
2010 TSX 5AT PWP

No other issues after the fix in 2018. I did the repair myself. Easy fix.

Originally Posted by wlian822

have you experienced this problem after this fix? May I ask which dealer did you go?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 AM
4th Gear

No other issues after the fix in 2018. I did the repair myself. Easy fix.
sounds great! Thanks so much for your reply.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM
4th Gear

$49.95

this part includes the tubing and the check valve, right? I asked the service advisor, he looked a picture of this part online and said to me it looked like just a tube. So the check valve was included in the part as well?
how long did it take you to replace? 30 mins? An hour? Do you remember?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,612 Likes on 6,651 Posts
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...er-46402tl2a11

Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 PM
2010 TSX 5AT PWP

Originally Posted by wlian822

this part includes the tubing and the check valve, right? I asked the service advisor, he looked a picture of this part online and said to me it looked like just a tube. So the check valve was included in the part as well?
how long did it take you to replace? 30 mins? An hour? Do you remember?
Thanks in advance!
Hi, As I remember, the check valve was included in the tubing. It took maybe 10 minutes to do. It's an easily accessible part on the top of the engine and you only have to compress one spring clip on each end of the tube. Remove, replace, put spring clip in place.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi, As I remember, the check valve was included in the tubing. It took maybe 10 minutes to do. It's an easily accessible part on the top of the engine and you only have to compress one spring clip on each end of the tube. Remove, replace, put spring clip in place.
I have this issue too... no bleeding necessary? As in, I can do this in the parking lot?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM
2010 TSX 5AT PWP

Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
I have this issue too... no bleeding necessary? As in, I can do this in the parking lot?
No bleeding necessary. The tube only has air in it. It can be done in a driveway or parking lot.
t3hhcaptain (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
That is one expensive ho

*hose
Old 03-05-2019, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
I noticed that the MDX share the similar diagram and part number and also $20 cheaper?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:17 AM
7th Gear

No bleeding necessary. The tube only has air in it. It can be done in a driveway or parking lot.
can you please explain why changing that hose fix the problem? thank you
Old 04-09-2019, 02:28 PM
2010 TSX 5AT PWP

It's not the hose but the check valve that really needs changing to fix the problem.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:50 PM
7th Gear

It's not the hose but the check valve that really needs changing to fix the problem.
so the check valve is inside the hose or it's a separate part? so if i order that part number u listed n change it. it should fix the problem? sorry ahead if i ask stupid question. i just want to fix this problem been looking for answer for awhile now n finally found this thread
Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 AM
2010 TSX 5AT PWP

The check valve is part of the tubing assembly purchased using the part number listed above (46402-TL2-A11Tube Assembly, Master Power). I don't know if the check valve is able to be purchased separately. Should fix the frozen brake issue if that's what you're experiencing. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:08 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Quang_7535
can you please explain why changing that hose fix the problem? thank you
Moisture gets in the valve causing it to freeze on cold days.
jdmjustin (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This is good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Looks like I'll be ordering that valve/hose before next winter. Was pretty scary hitting a corner, without any brakes. Luckily I was able to mash them enough to get slowed down.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

Had the same issue on 2014 TSX - breaks freezing when starting the car in cold (very cold). Took to dealership, asked them to keep it overnight to replicate and sent them one of the discussion threads. After that they found the issue and replaced valve and parts. Luckily it was under warranty. It took couple of weeks to get parts, which is np as they provided loaner.

One would think Acura would acknowledge something serious like that.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same problem during an ultra-cold Chicago winter. It was one of the scariest experiences I've ever had. Brakes worked fine the first few stop signs. Then, when I approached the next stop sign (heavy traffic), I lost the brakes. Fortunately, no crashes and no damage...just lots of angry drivers honking at me for not waiting my turn. This was almost 5 years ago, and I still remember how scary it was. I moved into the South after that year, so I haven't experienced such a crazy cold or the freezing brakes again (and I never did anything about it). After that first experience, I would push the brakes 20-30 times in full before I'd even take my car out of the driveway. I remember that they would be fine the first few pushes and then would progressively get super hard...hard as a rock. Then, they'd soften up as I continued pushing them to reach my 20-30 pushes. The fact that the "hardness" operated like a bell curve led me to believe that it had to be fluid or air and/or something freezing temporarily.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:50 PM
7th Gear

i just put the new tube assembly master power in. i guess i will find out this winter. i hope it works .
Old 03-18-2020, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Hey would you be willing to send me the invoice?? I’m from Canada and this has been a major issue for me all winter! Every dealership here is making me sound like I’m crazy for reporting a problem like this telling me it’s not possible.
[QUOTE=rickp703;15343098]Hi everyone,

I too have experienced the "Frozen Brakes" at temperatures below 10 degrees or so - living in Chicago, this has happened many times. Since I have an Acura Extended Warranty, I brought the car to Ed Napleton Acura in Elmhurst, Illinois... and they took this situation very seriously.

Here is the events as they happened - sorry for the long post, but I hope it will assist others deal with this VERY unsafe situation.

First off, I dropped the car off in the late afternoon & I demanded the car sit outside overnight without being touched and that the first person who started it be a Tech or a Service Adviser (I didn't want a porter saying he could not replicate the problem). They allowed me to drive a loaded 2015 MDX while my car was being looked at (pretty nice ride, I must say - got to drive it for 2 weeks )

The next morning, they called & stated ... "We definately understand your concern as we had the same frozen brake pedal, unable to firmly stop the car type situation happen to us, until the car reached operating temperature".

They had indicated they had not seen this happen before, so they were going to work with Acura "Tech-line" to troubleshoot the situation.

First thing they did was flush the Brake fluid, thinking that there could be condensation in the fluid or lines which could freeze. I had the fluid changed by them only 6 months ago, but even still they told me it would not be chargable if found not to be the problem... so I said OK (this would have cost $150.00 if it was the problem). It was not the problem - the fluid was clean & fine. After replacing the fluid the problem remained.

A few warm days slowed progress, but they let me drive the MDX as they were working with Acura to resolve & document the problem.

A few more days transpired & they ordered a ""Master Cylinder, a "Brake Assist" and a "Check Valve" receiving guidance from Acura to replace these parts 1 by 1 to determine the failure.

To make a long story short, about another week went by & it has been resolved that the Master Power Check Valve for Brake system was the failed part.

It has been replaced & things are perfect now!!

When I mentioned the amount of posts to my dealer they stated that documenting issues like this is one of the important pieces of info that can lead to TSBs and / or Recalls, but at this time they are still accumulating data.

I wish you all very safe cars & hope my story will allow you to share this experience with your dealers or repair shops in case you have the exact same situation.

If you wish to see a copy of the invoices from the dealer, please email me & I can forward.

Stay warm everyone - not too much longer to spring![/QUOTE