Frozen Brake Pedal - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Frozen Brake Pedal

 
Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 PM
  #41  
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT
 
iCrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: MD
Posts: 4,577
Thanked 855 Times in 642 Posts
^ yeah what the actual fuck is going on? If it's happening to a bunch of us it's probably some defect in the system.
iCrap is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 PM
  #42  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 66
Posts: 1,466
Thanked 225 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by rickp703 View Post
TSX Club let me upload the invoices... Click on this link to take you to my posting on TSXclub.com

Thanks,

Rickp703

Brake Failure in Cold Weather - No Joke - Page 3 - Acura TSX Forum
I"m too lazy to join the tsx forum to see your invoices. However, I'm curious. Did they charge you for all the unnecessary work before they stumbled upon the check valve?
TLer trash is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 PM
  #43  
Registered Member
 
iSeeYouTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: City of Champs, MA
Age: 27
Posts: 2,973
Thanked 655 Times in 477 Posts
Originally Posted by TLer trash View Post
I"m too lazy to join the tsx forum to see your invoices. However, I'm curious. Did they charge you for all the unnecessary work before they stumbled upon the check valve?
Nope his invoice says N/C = No Charge
iSeeYouTwo is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM
  #44  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 66
Posts: 1,466
Thanked 225 Times in 190 Posts
Good! Woulda been b.s. if they had charged him. In my opinion.
TLer trash is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 12:32 AM
  #45  
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
 
xtcnrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto, ON
Age: 28
Posts: 4,357
Thanked 1,104 Times in 872 Posts
Yeah be careful out there. I had this happen to me on my 2G TL a couple of years back. Luckily I realized before I got out of my girlfriend's apparently complex and was able to engine brake and mash the pedal as hard as I could. Even though I wasn't on the road, it was scary.

You should pump the pedal a few times while rolling in D before you really get the car going IMO.

How many miles on the car since the last brake flush? It might be time for new fluid. I'd be more concerned if this still happened after flushing the brakes.
xtcnrice is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 12:43 AM
  #46  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 35
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My guess is that there must be something wrong with the brake fluid.

I have never had problems with the brakes on my 2012 TSX. It's been warmer than usual this year in the Canadian Prairies, but the last 2 winters had plenty of -30C days (ambient temperature). I have never experienced even a stiff brake pedal feel.

As noted above, wind chill does not affect inanimate objects other than to provide enhanced convective dissipation of heat.

For any of the US folks, cold could never explain any of the problems you are experiencing. Honda does make anything different between the US and Canadian variants (other than a larger windshield washer fluid tank, higher strength coolant and daylight running lights).
computerwizard56 is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 01:04 AM
  #47  
VTEC just kicked in, yo!
 
xtcnrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto, ON
Age: 28
Posts: 4,357
Thanked 1,104 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by computerwizard56 View Post
My guess is that there must be something wrong with the brake fluid.

I have never had problems with the brakes on my 2012 TSX. It's been warmer than usual this year in the Canadian Prairies, but the last 2 winters had plenty of -30C days (ambient temperature). I have never experienced even a stiff brake pedal feel.

As noted above, wind chill does not affect inanimate objects other than to provide enhanced convective dissipation of heat.

For any of the US folks, cold could never explain any of the problems you are experiencing. Honda does make anything different between the US and Canadian variants (other than a larger windshield washer fluid tank, higher strength coolant and daylight running lights).
I'm guessing you meant Honda does not make anything different.
xtcnrice is offline  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:16 PM
  #48  
I Spit On You.
Thread Starter
 
Mercedes>BMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 918
Thanked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Anyone still experiencing this? Car has been sold to my cousin for a year now, 170k on it. Still has this issue.
Mercedes>BMW is offline  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:21 PM
  #49  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,341
Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
brake fluid freezing is my guess too
thoiboi is offline  
Old 02-07-2018, 02:35 PM
  #50  
2010 TSX 5AT PWP
 
tsx-pwp-nj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Howell NJ
Posts: 50
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also had the frozen brake pedal when cold out. 2010 Acura TSX Base.
I fixed it by replacing the check valve and tubing which is the following part.46402-TL2-A11
Tube Assembly, Master Power
$49.95
tsx-pwp-nj is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tsx-pwp-nj For This Useful Post:
stewxQQ (02-15-2018)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:12 PM
  #51  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 31
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsx-pwp-nj View Post
I also had the frozen brake pedal when cold out. 2010 Acura TSX Base.
I fixed it by replacing the check valve and tubing which is the following part.46402-TL2-A11
Tube Assembly, Master Power
$49.95
have you experienced this problem after this fix? May I ask which dealer did you go?
wlian822 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 PM
  #52  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 31
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickp703 View Post
Hi everyone,

I too have experienced the "Frozen Brakes" at temperatures below 10 degrees or so - living in Chicago, this has happened many times. Since I have an Acura Extended Warranty, I brought the car to Ed Napleton Acura in Elmhurst, Illinois... and they took this situation very seriously.

Here is the events as they happened - sorry for the long post, but I hope it will assist others deal with this VERY unsafe situation.

First off, I dropped the car off in the late afternoon & I demanded the car sit outside overnight without being touched and that the first person who started it be a Tech or a Service Adviser (I didn't want a porter saying he could not replicate the problem). They allowed me to drive a loaded 2015 MDX while my car was being looked at (pretty nice ride, I must say - got to drive it for 2 weeks )

The next morning, they called & stated ... "We definately understand your concern as we had the same frozen brake pedal, unable to firmly stop the car type situation happen to us, until the car reached operating temperature".

They had indicated they had not seen this happen before, so they were going to work with Acura "Tech-line" to troubleshoot the situation.

First thing they did was flush the Brake fluid, thinking that there could be condensation in the fluid or lines which could freeze. I had the fluid changed by them only 6 months ago, but even still they told me it would not be chargable if found not to be the problem... so I said OK (this would have cost $150.00 if it was the problem). It was not the problem - the fluid was clean & fine. After replacing the fluid the problem remained.

A few warm days slowed progress, but they let me drive the MDX as they were working with Acura to resolve & document the problem.

A few more days transpired & they ordered a ""Master Cylinder, a "Brake Assist" and a "Check Valve" receiving guidance from Acura to replace these parts 1 by 1 to determine the failure.

To make a long story short, about another week went by & it has been resolved that the Master Power Check Valve for Brake system was the failed part.

It has been replaced & things are perfect now!!

When I mentioned the amount of posts to my dealer they stated that documenting issues like this is one of the important pieces of info that can lead to TSBs and / or Recalls, but at this time they are still accumulating data.

I wish you all very safe cars & hope my story will allow you to share this experience with your dealers or repair shops in case you have the exact same situation.

If you wish to see a copy of the invoices from the dealer, please email me & I can forward.

Stay warm everyone - not too much longer to spring!

have you experienced this problem again after you did this fix back in 2015?
wlian822 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 AM
  #53  
2010 TSX 5AT PWP
 
tsx-pwp-nj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Howell NJ
Posts: 50
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No other issues after the fix in 2018. I did the repair myself. Easy fix.

Originally Posted by wlian822 View Post


have you experienced this problem after this fix? May I ask which dealer did you go?
tsx-pwp-nj is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 AM
  #54  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 31
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsx-pwp-nj View Post
No other issues after the fix in 2018. I did the repair myself. Easy fix.
sounds great! Thanks so much for your reply.
wlian822 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM
  #55  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Age: 31
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsx-pwp-nj View Post
I also had the frozen brake pedal when cold out. 2010 Acura TSX Base.
I fixed it by replacing the check valve and tubing which is the following part.46402-TL2-A11
Tube Assembly, Master Power
$49.95

this part includes the tubing and the check valve, right? I asked the service advisor, he looked a picture of this part online and said to me it looked like just a tube. So the check valve was included in the part as well?
how long did it take you to replace? 30 mins? An hour? Do you remember?
Thanks in advance!
wlian822 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 07:37 PM
  #56  
Moderator
 
thoiboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 37,341
Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
thoiboi is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 PM
  #57  
2010 TSX 5AT PWP
 
tsx-pwp-nj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Howell NJ
Posts: 50
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wlian822 View Post



this part includes the tubing and the check valve, right? I asked the service advisor, he looked a picture of this part online and said to me it looked like just a tube. So the check valve was included in the part as well?
how long did it take you to replace? 30 mins? An hour? Do you remember?
Thanks in advance!
Hi, As I remember, the check valve was included in the tubing. It took maybe 10 minutes to do. It's an easily accessible part on the top of the engine and you only have to compress one spring clip on each end of the tube. Remove, replace, put spring clip in place.
tsx-pwp-nj is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM
  #58  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 387
Thanked 54 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by tsx-pwp-nj View Post
Hi, As I remember, the check valve was included in the tubing. It took maybe 10 minutes to do. It's an easily accessible part on the top of the engine and you only have to compress one spring clip on each end of the tube. Remove, replace, put spring clip in place.
I have this issue too... no bleeding necessary? As in, I can do this in the parking lot?
t3hhcaptain is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM
  #59  
2010 TSX 5AT PWP
 
tsx-pwp-nj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Howell NJ
Posts: 50
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain View Post
I have this issue too... no bleeding necessary? As in, I can do this in the parking lot?
No bleeding necessary. The tube only has air in it. It can be done in a driveway or parking lot.
tsx-pwp-nj is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tsx-pwp-nj For This Useful Post:
t3hhcaptain (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:35 PM
  #60  
Registered Member
 
julius071's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 813
Thanked 139 Times in 124 Posts
That is one expensive ho

*hose
julius071 is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 03:20 PM
  #61  
Registered Member
 
julius071's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 813
Thanked 139 Times in 124 Posts
I noticed that the MDX share the similar diagram and part number and also $20 cheaper?
julius071 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SidhuSaaB
3G TL Problems & Fixes
14
01-31-2019 08:08 AM
rp_guy
Member Cars for Sale
9
07-16-2017 07:33 AM
xsilverhawkx
2G TL Problems & Fixes
4
10-05-2015 11:00 AM
27trains
4G TL Problems & Fixes
2
09-30-2015 09:44 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frozen Brake Pedal


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.