considering TSX sport wagon or RDX 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
considering TSX sport wagon or RDX 2nd gen

We have two sedans in our household (06 TL and 07 TSX) and even though we were doing just fine with them space wise (two kids, child car seats, strollers etc.) I am considering upgrading my wife's 07 TSX to something that has some extra trunk room. We are looking at either TSX sport wagon Tech or RDX AWD Tech (2nd gen) - trying to find used CPO.

We have not driven those cars yet, but I did 1st gen RDX and I didn't like it. I am assuming that TSX sport wagon is going to drive just like a regular TSX, perhaps slower which might a bit of a turn off since our TSX is not that fast to begin - we will yet have to see.

Is it wise at this point to consider the first model year for each car - 2011 for TSX sport wagon or 2013 for RDX ? Were there any major issues or problem with those cars that we should stay away from the 1st model year for those models?

I appreciate any insights on the matter. I will also post this in the respective RDX section of the forums.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
IMO the wagon was never marketed correctly nor equipped correctly for the US market. The v6 and all wheel drive is what the US market wanted but never got. there is a reason less than 10K were sold over 4 years.

I would choose the RDX for nothing more than it will hold it value and ease of resale.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by robpp
IMO the wagon was never marketed correctly nor equipped correctly for the US market. The v6 and all wheel drive is what the US market wanted but never got. there is a reason less than 10K were sold over 4 years.

I would choose the RDX for nothing more than it will hold it value and ease of resale.
Wagons have gone from being THE family hauler in the 60's, 70's and 80's to being the red headed stepchild since then. Today, wagons are a nice market and no manufacturer expects to sell many. The Acura wagon competes with the 328 wagon, the Jetta and the Outback. Each has dismal sales compared to the sedan or the small SUV/crossover equivalent - but - each also has a very loyal following.

I agree that the wagon was badly marketed but I don't think that a V6 and AWD would have improved sales. Gas mileage is the buzzword and that could only be achieved with the 4 banger or a diesel. Had they done a diesel, then sales would have probably been far worse, with me and robpp being the only buyers.

The wagon is not slower than the sedan and actually has better handling. Since 1998 I've owned (only one at a time) two Yukons, an A6 wagon, an S6 wagon, a GTI, a R32, a BMW 335 and two Acura wagons. When I got rearended in my first Acura wagon I could have bought anything else but I went back and got another one. For the OP, it has all the attributes of the sedan plus the extra cargo space.

The 2011's aren't an issue. The wagon had been sold for years in Europe and has a good track record. The 11 also has a spare tire - something that was deleted and replaced by a pump and a can of slime in newer years.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 AM
fbt
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
As a recent Sport Wagon buyer I know I'm an odd ball. The main question I get is "why didn't you buy an SUV?" The answer is I don't like driving a car with a high center of gravity. On the issue of resale, if you keep your cars a long time then resale isn't a big deal. Who knows maybe in 10 years wagons will be popular again. Also you should be able to get a good deal on a wagon, as most dealers what them off the lot. If you want a new one, better hurry, last I looked there were less than 100 left in the US.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:12 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove both and ended up with the Sport Wagon. While I felt like the RDX had more space, especially in the butt, the Sport Wagon is a lot more fun to drive.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by latechew
I test drove both and ended up with the Sport Wagon. While I felt like the RDX had more space, especially in the butt, the Sport Wagon is a lot more fun to drive.
Great buy. FWIW, you definitely have a very unique car. MDXs and RDXs are everywhere (Acura's current best selling vehicles).
Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Good choice - but then I'm a bit prejudiced towards the wagon.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM
fbt
Racer

I ride in a co-workers RDX and the rear seat does seem roomier. Maybe it's that you tend to sit more upright. It also has a tan interior which is brighter than my all black TSX wagon, again enhancing at least the feeling of roominess. In the back I think we are pretty much equal.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Thank you for all the input.

Over the last couple days we had a chance to compare both RDX 2ng gen and TSX sport wagon.
Coming from 1st gen TSX, we were impressed by the quality of the TSX sport wagon and the roominess of the trunk which is in fact bigger than in the RDX. The rear room was plenty for our kids. the ride was also very good and acceleration felt like it was stronger than in our TSX, but overall very similar to the TSX.

We were hoping to be as impressed with RDX as we were with the TSX sport wagon, but we kind of felt a bit disappointed. From the quality perspective the RDX feels like it is a level below TSX. The technology is marginally better compared to TSX (if any), it lacks HIDs in a base trim, all the pillars are hard and ugly plastic (like in civic), dashboard and door materials are not as soft as on the TSX. The rear lacks the air vents. This might be a great lease car for 2 years, but not something I would want to own and keep for 5-8 years as it seems underwhelmed from the get go. We did not bother to test drive it as we got turned off by the lackluster interior and the fact that cargo space is actually smaller and less useful than in the TSX (TSX creates flat surface with seats down, RDX not).

At this point, we are still evaluating if we need the extra cargo that the sport wagon offers vs. a normal sedan. Once we agree on that, the TSX sport wagon is definitely a more appealing and a better buy for us vs. RDX. If we go against the additional cargo, we might end up with the TLX as we both like the car.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 AM
fbt
Racer

I found sedan trunk size to be pretty good, but you are limited as to what you can fit thru the opening.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:01 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fbt
I found sedan trunk size to be pretty good, but you are limited as to what you can fit thru the opening.
The sedan has an impressive amount of room and has the advantage of the fold down rear seat but the wagon swallows a lot of stuff with the seats up.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:08 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
Thank you for all the input.

Over the last couple days we had a chance to compare both RDX 2ng gen and TSX sport wagon.
Coming from 1st gen TSX, we were impressed by the quality of the TSX sport wagon and the roominess of the trunk which is in fact bigger than in the RDX. The rear room was plenty for our kids. the ride was also very good and acceleration felt like it was stronger than in our TSX, but overall very similar to the TSX.

We were hoping to be as impressed with RDX as we were with the TSX sport wagon, but we kind of felt a bit disappointed. From the quality perspective the RDX feels like it is a level below TSX. The technology is marginally better compared to TSX (if any), it lacks HIDs in a base trim, all the pillars are hard and ugly plastic (like in civic), dashboard and door materials are not as soft as on the TSX. The rear lacks the air vents. This might be a great lease car for 2 years, but not something I would want to own and keep for 5-8 years as it seems underwhelmed from the get go. We did not bother to test drive it as we got turned off by the lackluster interior and the fact that cargo space is actually smaller and less useful than in the TSX (TSX creates flat surface with seats down, RDX not).

At this point, we are still evaluating if we need the extra cargo that the sport wagon offers vs. a normal sedan.
Once we agree on that, the TSX sport wagon is definitely a more appealing and a better buy for us vs. RDX. If we go against the additional cargo, we might end up with the TLX as we both like the car.
Might make sense to cross shop the tsx sportwagon with a subaru outback comparably equipped.
Mazda cx-5 maybe.
Jetta tdi wagen
Maybe the volvo v60
And isn't mazda putting out the 6 wagon here again soon? That might be another possibility.
Small things about the wagon that seem minor annoyances
-glove box design-small, things fall out
-center storage between seats is small
-pillars in boot take up seemingly lots of usable space

Still...very good car especially if you can swing a fantastic deal. I still like mine after 50k
Old 09-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
2012 TSX Wagon here. With 32,000 miles no serious issues.

Minor stuff: A real spare would be nice and I may look to adding one in the future. OEM Michelin Pilots HX MXM4 are good for 40k miles, and wear looks to be on schedule. External windshield trim popped off but was repaired at no charge by dealer. Battery couldn't hold charge and was replaced at no charge by dealer. Bluetooth a little absent minded, even after TSB fix, but has been stable since we removed apostrophe from iPhone name; that is, WheelMcCoy's iPhone was changed to WheelMcCoy iPhone. Go figure.

With the wagon, we were able to bring back a desk (unassembled of course) from IKEA -- needed to fold one of the split seats down though. Also, a wagon is low enough for a roof rack bike mount. I would never attempt that with a CUV/SUV.

Overall we are quite happy. The wagon has nice amenities, great visibility (almost in the classic 90s sense), is very practical, and still fun to drive.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:42 PM
wagon owner

Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
2012 TSX Wagon here. With 32,000 miles no serious issues.

Minor stuff: A real spare would be nice and I may look to adding one in the future. OEM Michelin Pilots HX MXM4 are good for 40k miles, and wear looks to be on schedule. External windshield trim popped off but was repaired at no charge by dealer. Battery couldn't hold charge and was replaced at no charge by dealer. Bluetooth a little absent minded, even after TSB fix, but has been stable since we removed apostrophe from iPhone name; that is, WheelMcCoy's iPhone was changed to WheelMcCoy iPhone. Go figure.

With the wagon, we were able to bring back a desk (unassembled of course) from IKEA -- needed to fold one of the split seats down though. Also, a wagon is low enough for a roof rack bike mount. I would never attempt that with a CUV/SUV.

Overall we are quite happy. The wagon has nice amenities, great visibility (almost in the classic 90s sense), is very practical, and still fun to drive.
At 50k mine look good for another 5-10k...really happy w wear...but i've consistently inflated them to 35-36psi instead of the 33 recommended
i'm 90% sure i'm replacing with Michelin A/S Premier.
Biggest concern...only 8.5 32nds of tread to start on them

Last edited by kball; 09-06-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by kball
At 50k mine look good for another 5-10k...really happy w wear...but i've consistently inflated them to 35-36psi instead of the 33 recommended
i'm 90% sure i'm replacing with Michelin A/S Premier.
Biggest concern...only 8.5 32nds of tread to start on them
I also like to keep them around 35 psi. I also plan to change them out when they get to 4/32nds. For me, that's the minimum for winter safety, although NYS inspection won't fail you until you get to 2/32nds.

I'm considering the A/S Premiers too. They are new, and are made to have wider grooves as your tread wears down. An interesting design, but I'll wait for the reviews first.

I also like the Michelin MXV4s. They've been around a long time, their behavior is well known, and they are highly regarded. Unfortunately, the MXV4s will be discontinued soon, and will be replaced by the A/S Premiers. I just got a set of MXV4s for my Mazda3 and the tread starts at 11/32nds.

One more... I am considering the Primacy MXM4. I think they are the improved versions of the OEM Pilot HX MXM4. They are supposed to have stiffer sidewalls for better cornering and handling.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't compare them, totally different type of cars, like some said the TSX wagon is more fun to drive and unique, I might get one in the future, no kids yet. One thing I don't like is the front grille.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
if it weren't for the technology, I'd still go for the TSX but if tech is important to you, get the RDX...
Old 09-14-2014, 07:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dwk331
if it weren't for the technology, I'd still go for the TSX but if tech is important to you, get the RDX...
what technology? The nav you can't use while driving? The cylinder deactivation that people complain about? The non-SH AWD?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LOVE LOVE LOVE my Sportwagon

I wish they made the TLX in a long roof, it would be so mine!

Also on resale value, watch KBB, NADA or Edmunds the price of used Sportwagons is actually going up. Mine is worth more than I paid for it off the showroom floor over a year ago. $10k depreciation on my TL Advance though in 2 yrs.

Last edited by Strippers4Me; 09-15-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: just cause
Old 09-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced

I am in a similar boat. I have a 2005 TSX and am looking at the Wagon. They are so rare and IMO expensive. I assume it is because demand is mroe than the supply.

My complaints about my current TSX are:
It is not a 2006 -> I am down 10HP, no bluetooth
Also I believe bicycles should travel inside the vehicle, so my back seat has a bicycle in it 2-3 times per week. Every once in a while I cram two in there.

I, like an earlier poster, like the low CG over an SUV. I also know that wagons have more cargo space than most SUVs.

Does anyone know of alternatives? I want around 30MPG, and don't want to deal with a diesel. Nothing against the technology or reliability, I just don't want to have to think about if I can use a gas station or not. I want leather, moonroof and heated seats. Cooled seats would be fantastic but I am not buying a 2014. (half jokingly, could I put 2012 RDX seats in and rig up the cooling?)

Can anyone think of some alternatives that I might be missing. I guess a highly equipped Subie or Mazda might be just as hard to find, but cheaper.

Lastly I run RSX 16" wheels on my current TSX for the winter. Will they fit the secodn gen? The gap around the front rotor is pretty tight already.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by fujiteam
I am in a similar boat. I have a 2005 TSX and am looking at the Wagon. They are so rare and IMO expensive. I assume it is because demand is mroe than the supply.

My complaints about my current TSX are:
Also I believe bicycles should travel inside the vehicle, so my back seat has a bicycle in it 2-3 times per week. Every once in a while I cram two in there.

I, like an earlier poster, like the low CG over an SUV. I also know that wagons have more cargo space than most SUVs.

Does anyone know of alternatives? I want around 30MPG, and don't want to deal with a diesel. Nothing against the technology or reliability, I just don't want to have to think about if I can use a gas station or not. I want leather, moonroof and heated seats. Cooled seats would be fantastic but I am not buying a 2014. (half jokingly, could I put 2012 RDX seats in and rig up the cooling?)

Can anyone think of some alternatives that I might be missing. I guess a highly equipped Subie or Mazda might be just as hard to find, but cheaper.

Lastly I run RSX 16" wheels on my current TSX for the winter. Will they fit the secodn gen? The gap around the front rotor is pretty tight already.
They'll likely fit. However, the wheel well is bigger in the 2G TSX compared to the 1G, so if appearance concerns you at all, a 16" wheel on our 2G will look extremely tiny. The TSX comes stock with 17" wheels. Google photos of the car stock, and imagine the wheels an inch smaller in diameter for a better idea.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
They'll likely fit. However, the wheel well is bigger in the 2G TSX compared to the 1G, so if appearance concerns you at all, a 16" wheel on our 2G will look extremely tiny. The TSX comes stock with 17" wheels. Google photos of the car stock, and imagine the wheels an inch smaller in diameter for a better idea.
I'll be channeling the greatest Acura of all time, the NSX, with tiny wheels.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:18 AM
fbt
Racer

I am in a similar boat. I have a 2005 TSX and am looking at the Wagon. They are so rare and IMO expensive. I assume it is because demand is mroe than the supply. My complaints about my current TSX are:
Also I believe bicycles should travel inside the vehicle, so my back seat has a bicycle in it 2-3 times per week. Every once in a while I cram two in there...
Here is another thread about fitting bikes into wagons, https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-wagon-910630/ He ended up with the Volvo V60
The following users liked this post:
fujiteam (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 11:36 AM
wagon owner

Best bet might be very low mileage Audi A4 Avant in the last year or 2 of model.
I still think its the best looking wagon BY FAR ever produced...w the tsx wagon coming in a distant 2nd.