Trunk Bangs Open/Alarm Sensor Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Go Brewers!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Trunk Bangs Open/Alarm Sensor Problem?

About a week ago, I was opening my trunk to put groceries in. I heard something snap on the right side, but I couldn't find what it was or see what was missing. Now whenever I open the trunk, I have to open it and let it gently reach fully open; if I just let it lift itself it slams and sounds awful. I'm guessing there is a rubber stopper that broke off, but I can’t find where.

I don't know if this is related or not, but the alarm goes off after about a minute or two if the trunk is opened and the doors are still locked. I don't remember this happening before are these related or is this in my head?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Go Brewers!

Anyone ever have this happen? I'm at a loss here.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
I think the trunk lid torsion bar is snapped. The bar is under tension to spring open the trunk lid. It is located at the back near the hinges of the trunk lid.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Go Brewers!

After further review and cleaning out my trunk a bit to get a good look, it does not seem to be the tension bar. The trunk opens fine and when I press the "trunk open" button, it open the usual 5 or so inches. It is when it is all the way up that it bangs.

As I said I was cleaning out my trunk and found what looked to be a rubber stopper. It was broken and split down the side, but after practically throwing myself in the trunk I saw what looked to be where it may have gone. I do not have any pictures, but when I get home tonight I will further investigate the issue and take a few pics.

I think the one on the left side has been missing for a while, thus putting more stress on the right one and now that one broke.
If I am way off base let me know, but if someone could maybe see if they do have stoppers in their trunk, that may solidify my analysis.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Go Brewers!

So as it turns out there are stoppers in there. I ordered two of them for twenty bucks. I should get them in a couple days. They go up and under the top of the trunk; you have to kinda get in there to see it. If you look at the path of the support bar, the stopper goes in between the arm and the trunk. I havent gotten any pictures, but I can take some when I put them in. So now I just wait until they come in...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Go Brewers!

Got 'em!

On a side note, I was surprised that there weren't many people responding to this thread.
I don't know if it is because people don't know that there are stoppers to prevent banging or if it is just a problem none of you have had; but this is what I did.

After cleaning out the trunk to get a closer look the first time, this is what I found.

I pulled the white plastic snap out with vise grip, pliers would have worked, but it was easier to snap the vise grip on and just pull.
It is a very awkward angle in there; plus you have to hold the trunk down against your body to get the arm out of the way.

These are the new inserts to snap right in.
The part number is: 74822-S0K-A01

They literally snap right in with almost no force, but they hold tight!

As you can see the trunk no longer bangs against metal, it hits this stopper.
I lost both of them and that's when I noticed it; I went a long time with just one and never noticed it.

I didn't get a picture of the new stoppers before I put them in, but essentially this is what they looked like.
The following users liked this post:
victus1 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks!

It is posts like these that make this site invaluable.

I was having the exact same problem and also thought it might be the tension bar. Not only does the OP explain the problem, they put up detailed photos and included the part number to order. Turns out that both cushions in my trunk had snapped off so am headed to the dealer to buy new ones.

Thanks a bunch to the OP as well as this site which has saved me a ton of time and money on troubleshooting TL issues!