plz, plz, plz, let me know what to look 4!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 01:41 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
plz, plz, plz, let me know what to look 4!!!

Hey everyone, tomorrow I get my tl-s and I can't wait (left $500 deposit, waiting for truck to bring it) but when I test drive it what should I look for??? everyone complains bout rattles, not to clean interior clanks etc etc. should I look or listen for something??? How do I know (If at all) If I have a good one? drive with the radio off the whole time, listen for rattles on the passenger side Also I heard that a new body style comes out for 2003 which is good but that would piss me off to have a 4yr lease and the new one that comes out is dope as hell. Any help would be so appreciated plz.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

You seemed to cover everything... when you leave the lot, drive with the radio off for rattles. On the lot, do a walk around and check the fitment of the doors, hood, trunk, etc. Make sure everything is aligned properly. The car should be spotless when you get it, and the dealer should walk you through all of the features, so you can pretty much check everything right on the lot. Don't worry though... the rattles don't start until around 1000 miles when everything loosens up!! :p ........ The only rattle I have is from the driver seat, and it's more of a squeek....only seems to happen when the car is cold, and it's low when it happens, so I haven't worried about it yet. As for the new TL, not due out until 2003 as a 2004, so yes, a new model will be out during your lease, but that's the deal with cars..... at least you have something to look forward to when your lease is up!!
Old 11-13-2001, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can do 1 of 2 things:

1. do what juniorbean says.

or..

2. drive the car, be happy and dont look for things that arent there.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by NBP TL
you can do 1 of 2 things:

1. do what juniorbean says.

or..

2. drive the car, be happy and dont look for things that arent there.
NBP -

Honestly... I did #2, but people on here are so paranoid that I figured I'd type out the typical replies.....
Old 11-13-2001, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by juniorbean
but people on here are so paranoid...
Yeah i know. There are some really good guys (and girls) here but i never seen so many people complain about the smallest things. Pls no offense to anyone BUT every friggin car has rattles! lol D
Old 11-13-2001, 02:54 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

there are the basics too...make sure it's scratch free (exterior & interior), no dents.
they should give you a full tank of gas, and probably floor mats.
also check for body alignment... many of us found the door/s to be mis-aligned.
rattles also maybe coming from the moonroof.
there are reports of finding fingerprints on the paint as well (on the door handle area)
most importantly, it should have the smell of a new car

the list of problems above might scare you, but remember that they're only minor one and are easy to fix. The only problem I had when I pick up my car is the rattling.

and see if you could get a better deal...say something like '...ah... the new model is about to come out..."

last but not least, introduce yourself again to the forum with your car's sig.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Make sure to tell the dealer NOT to put the screws for the front plate in. They drill into the bumper and if you ever plan to roll without a front plate/plate holder, you will have two holes in the bumper.

The screws are optional but most dealerships use them.
Old 11-13-2001, 03:01 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

I guess that depends on what type of license bracket your dealer provide...the one I have is actually screwed in a hidden area, so they are not visible is you take it off. :p
Old 11-13-2001, 06:10 PM
Jens

Including all of the above mentioned things here are some other things.Do NOT pick up the car at night wait for a nice daytime situation so you can have a good look at the car.Be suspicious if you see the car parked up against something so that a good look at the car is not possible.Be wary if the car is wet and the salesman tells you it was dusty and he wanted to clean it for you he might be pulling a fast one to cover a scratch or dent.If there is damage don't freak out just get it in writing that the damage exists and get it taken care of as soon as possible.Bring a CD so you can check the player in the car,a tape is not a bad idea either.Don't rush the delivery allow for plenty of time at the dealer and have the salesman show you all the features not just one of these "sign here and here and here now here is the key there is the car good luck" type scenarios.And by all means do not assume that the figures on the contracts you sign are correct look it over carefully and do a little math to make sure the business manager is not making a mistake that will cost you a few bucks.Jens
Old 11-13-2001, 10:35 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!!!

Thank you all. Everyone here is just wonderful! That helps a lot. I'm not trying to be anal but all the posts I read are pretty scary I have a digital camera ready to go, and a list of mods to go with it. So again thank you but I will still miss my 94 Legend cpe but after I feel that 260hp VTEC I will soon forget all about it
Old 11-13-2001, 10:41 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congradulations on your lease. I say what the hell. Enjoy the damn thing. I have a friend with a brand new c230 k and he has little rattles and squeeks here and there. Every car has them. Its just when you are in someone elses car you really dont notice them because he car is yours. Dont be obsessed with the rattles and/or squeeks. If you look for them they will be there, but if you dont, most of the time you wont notice they exist. Enjoy.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:30 PM
Advanced

My $16K Accord didn't after 6 years.
My $20K Camry only did after Smacked in accident after 5 yrs.
Wife's 6yr Accord = nothing
Sis' Altima, BMW & Benz = never

The only thing I can accept rattles and squecks on are them Econoline Vans. I got all 3 common rattles after 3K miles.

Originally posted by NBP TL

Yeah i know. There are some really good guys (and girls) here but i never seen so many people complain about the smallest things. Pls no offense to anyone BUT every friggin car has rattles! lol D