Navigation works but clock not working - Page 11 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Navigation works but clock not working

Old 04-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Love when things goo smoothly. Entered once this tread in August and forget about it. Entered again before 10 days and right above me was phone nr to call. Call for 5 minutes, get CD for free, sit in car for 10 minutes till it fix itself. Done.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

The blank screen issue can be fixed with an update to the newest firmware update and the latest maps. The problem is you will need to force the firmware update the nav will not do it on its own. I was at Acura yesterday courtesy of Acura customer care. The tech and I tried everything I had already tried and nothing worked until the tech offered to do a ram wipe. He had to connect the diagnostic tool to do this. After the wipe he was able to update the firmware to the latest and install the 2.A0
maps.
Now the nav works as it should. If i turn the car on and them off and back on the nav boots up like it should , no more blank screen , and the clock works as well.

Hopefully this helps some one.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

^^^ Well as I celebrated smooth install and jump in car everything was ok till I went somewhere. Jump in car again and I get black screen. However after a few start offs etc it come back and work again. Will let you know if something will happen again. Update is obviously not stable and act like updates for windows 95 back than. Honestly do not care much if it will not mess with auto climate control. Maybe that "firmware update" is already in my CD as I get it at 4/9/17.

Last edited by bbsitum; 04-10-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TheWeez View Post
Nope. Went by the instructions and had no issues at all updating. Took maybe 10 minutes total.
One more quick question if I may. Which disk version did you upgrade from when you successfully installed the fix and v2.A0 disk?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by allyn View Post
Looks like I spoke too soon. Now more than half the time when I start the car I get the "completely dead navi screen" problem. Other times it works perfectly normally with working clock. No rhyme or reason. Tonight when I got home (with navi screen working), I turned the car off and back on and navi was dead.

Anybody else seeing this with 2.50 disc?
Exactly same problem exactly same disc 2.50 . Exactly same I spoke to soon. Half of time working is better than none. "No reason" is boot time mistake. Probably related to RAM clock. Tm it is software mistake and we can not do anything about it. Mirin join date 2001.

Last edited by bbsitum; 04-12-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Just received my update disc. They also included the 2013 V2.A0 maps update disc. Followed the instructions and updated without issue. Got the most updated maps out of the deal too.
I tried to get the same fix from Acura but they say I have the wrong version on my car for this method. ?? Which version did you have before your fix? Seems I could upgrade to that version and go from there. Unless I am missing something...
Old 04-18-2018, 05:36 PM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by fasTLane View Post
I tried to get the same fix from Acura but they say I have the wrong version on my car for this method. ?? Which version did you have before your fix? Seems I could upgrade to that version and go from there. Unless I am missing something...
My original disc was 2.05B. They sent me 2.40 to upgrade to first (it runs a software upgrade in addition to having the newest maps) and then I installed the clock fix disc. After I was done, I kept the new maps disc they sent me in there and it works fine.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

My original disc was 2.05B. They sent me 2.40 to upgrade to first (it runs a software upgrade in addition to having the newest maps) and then I installed the clock fix disc. After I was done, I kept the new maps disc they sent me in there and it works fine.
Thank you so much for that information but I am still confused. You wrote that you had received 2 discs. Is 2.40 the same disc as the 2013 V2.A0?

btw, I also used the 2.05 disc until I upgraded several years ago to 2.20. The only new disc I received was a fix disc that only partially worked. Wish I had your luck.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 PM
I Wanna Beer

Thank you so much for that information but I am still confused. You wrote that you had received 2 discs. Is 2.40 the same disc as the 2013 V2.A0?

btw, I also used the 2.05 disc until I upgraded several years ago to 2.20. The only new disc I received was a fix disc that only partially worked. Wish I had your luck.
They sent me 2 discs. Maps 2.20 and the fix disc.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

They sent me 2 discs. Maps 2.20 and the fix disc.
2.20? You meant 2.40?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 PM
I Wanna Beer

2.20? You meant 2.40?
Whatever the very latest is, released in 2013.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Whatever the very latest is, released in 2013.
Thank you! Could you tell me what version your fix disc shows on the printed surface? I dont mean to annoy you but this could be important.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:59 PM
I Wanna Beer

Thank you! Could you tell me what version your fix disc shows on the printed surface? I dont mean to annoy you but this could be important.

Applies to 2.80, 2.90, 2.A0
Old 04-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Applies to 2.80, 2.90, 2.A0
It is so cool that this method worked for you.
In my case the clock fix worked but when my unit is off for less than 20 seconds and powered up I get no boot up with a blank screen. If it is off more than 20 seconds it boots up like it should.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:08 PM

I think i have figured out a work around for the folks who updated their NAVI and got the clock working again but now reported the screen is blank. Someone posted the screen comes on if you turn the key on but then goes out when you start the engine. This got me thinking and I was able to figure out that if i turn off the engine and wait 18 seconds then start the car everything works fine. Here is the key to making it work - First after waiting 18 seconds with the key in the OFF position then simply start the car but do NOT Pause when the key is in the on position...just turn the key hard and fast from OFF to start and the screen should work as normal. If you pause when the key is in the on position but before the starter kicks in the what is happening is the NAVI is trying to boot up and loses power while the starter is grabbing all the voltage from the battery but since you are required to wait 18 seconds after powering off before trying to power on again this is causing the situation. I assume that Acura could fix the problem with another update disk where they fix the problem they introduced by fixing our clocks but i feel like this is a good enough work around for me! Hope this helps! Basically the fix is to turn the key quickly when you start the car and the navi will boot up after the starter releases the 12 volts it uses to turn the engine over. Voila! I love both my Acura vehicles and if this is the only thing i had to worry about after 16 years and 140,000 miles I can live with it. Mine is an Acura tl type -S 2002.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim O'Hare For This Useful Post:
bbsitum (06-19-2018), HisHeirness23 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jim O'Hare View Post
I think i have figured out a work around for the folks who updated their NAVI and got the clock working again but now reported the screen is blank. Someone posted the screen comes on if you turn the key on but then goes out when you start the engine. This got me thinking and I was able to figure out that if i turn off the engine and wait 18 seconds then start the car everything works fine. Here is the key to making it work - First after waiting 18 seconds with the key in the OFF position then simply start the car but do NOT Pause when the key is in the on position...just turn the key hard and fast from OFF to start and the screen should work as normal. If you pause when the key is in the on position but before the starter kicks in the what is happening is the NAVI is trying to boot up and loses power while the starter is grabbing all the voltage from the battery but since you are required to wait 18 seconds after powering off before trying to power on again this is causing the situation. I assume that Acura could fix the problem with another update disk where they fix the problem they introduced by fixing our clocks but i feel like this is a good enough work around for me! Hope this helps! Basically the fix is to turn the key quickly when you start the car and the navi will boot up after the starter releases the 12 volts it uses to turn the engine over. Voila! I love both my Acura vehicles and if this is the only thing i had to worry about after 16 years and 140,000 miles I can live with it. Mine is an Acura tl type -S 2002.
Just performed the update on my 2001 CL and noticed this exact same behavior. Attempted to turn on the car without pausing in ACC and the screen came right up! Appreciate the info!
Old 09-29-2018, 02:10 AM
DJF
Registered Member

One better. After calling the Acura customer service number, I was sent to my Acura dealer who pulled my Nav drive (DVD unit) and they sent it to Alpine who revamped the clock and memory...and now it works perfectly. I got tired of putting the key in, turning it one click, throwing salt over my left shoulder, waiting 30 seconds and starting my car. Acura was fantastic in repairing my GPS on a 2002 CL-S...something I donít think any other car mfg would do.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJF For This Useful Post:
HisHeirness23 (10-27-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DJF View Post
One better. After calling the Acura customer service number, I was sent to my Acura dealer who pulled my Nav drive (DVD unit) and they sent it to Alpine who revamped the clock and memory...and now it works perfectly. I got tired of putting the key in, turning it one click, throwing salt over my left shoulder, waiting 30 seconds and starting my car. Acura was fantastic in repairing my GPS on a 2002 CL-S...something I donít think any other car mfg would do.
Took your advice and called Acura to follow-up on the correction disc and how it introduced that issue. I now have an appointment tomorrow at the Acura dealership to have them remove the GPS and send out to the OEM manufacturer to fix. Will keep this thread posted, but wanted to thank everyone with all of the great advice!
Old 12-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Final Update:

The dealer installed the Navi unit back in my CL and found that the issues were not corrected. They sent the unit back to Alpine and I waited a few more weeks before hearing back. Recently, they reinstalled the Navi unit and now it works! No need to turn the key in the ignition super fast or to wait 30 seconds in between shutting off the vehicle, before restarting. Thank you, everyone, for your advice!