Immobilizer Reprogram for 6 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Immobilizer Reprogram for 6 speed swap

Ok, after searching a bit, I'm still a little confused. I have a working and driveable 03 CL-S6. I have a driveable 02 TL-P. I have keys for both. Going to finish most of the swap this weekend.

After I finish swapping the ECUs: the CL key will work with the immobilizer, but it doesn't fit into the key slots. The TL key fits into the key slots, but the immobilizer won't accept it.

So people say a reprogram is needed.
Does the dealership just (1) take my TL key and reprogram it to work with the CL ECU? Or do they (2) take the CL ECU, and reprogram it to work with my TL key?

If it is (2), they do they just download the codes from my TL ECU and upload them into the CL ECU?

Just want to get as much info before calling around.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Unregistered Member

Anyone have an idea?
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
I am pretty sure that they program the key to ecu.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
did you swap ignitions
Old 08-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by Stephen00TL
Oh darn, so I'll have to bring both of my keys and remotes? I thought they would just swap the code from the TL ECU to the CL ECU.
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
did you swap ignitions
No, cuz then I'd half to swap the door key cylinders too. What did they do with your car?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen00TL

That correct.
You 1st must get blank key an get it program to ECU then get key cut to fit your car.

Last edited by AznWay; 08-04-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have personal experience with this. I have been doing keys for about a year and a half. For all hondas when you program a spare key or master key or anything. You must first delete all stored keys. Then reprogram the master key and any other keys you will use. As for the remote no idea on that, never done one.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Oh darn, so I'll have to bring both of my keys and remotes? I thought they would just swap the code from the TL ECU to the CL ECU.

No, cuz then I'd half to swap the door key cylinders too. What did they do with your car?
You cant swap over ecu and expect the cl key to work in your car. You would have to change the ignition so that the key would work. Swapping the door locks over is a 10 min a door job. You have the parts, take the time to do it and save yourself 75-100 bucks.

IF you dont do that you will have to have a Honda or acura dealer reprogram the ECU/Key to sync together. That is what i had done. And YES, you will have to bring BOTH keys if you want them to work.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Unregistered Member

You cant swap over ecu and expect the cl key to work in your car.
I can. And it did.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by blue02S
I have personal experience with this. I have been doing keys for about a year and a half. For all hondas when you program a spare key or master key or anything. You must first delete all stored keys. Then reprogram the master key and any other keys you will use. As for the remote no idea on that, never done one.

Not true, thats only when you have an "all keys lost" situation. The ecm can old up to six keys at any given time. When programming a new key it adds them to the list. they come programmed with 3 from the factory. 2 masters and a valet. Each PCM has a immobi four digit code for the system. only problem here is that you are using the CL ecm and the TL immobi and ignition. in this case you will need the pcm code for the CL's ecm to accept the immobilizer from the TL. so here is what I would suggest;

1. You'll need to get the PCM code for the CL. you'll need to call an Acura dealer and give them the vin for the CL. remember its a four digit code.(Make sure you explain your situation to them. Dealers are very tight with immobi info due to theft. you might have to show proof of ownership for both cars.)

2. Next you'll need to have the TL towed to a dealer. An HDS is needed to program. because now your car will be seen as a CL when any type of diagnostic equipment is hooked up.

3. At this point they will be able to program the exsisting TL keys to the CL's PCM.

I hope this helps..When immobilizers came into play it made simple ECU swapping very difficult.

*the only other thing i see you possibly having to do is to swap the immobi unit from the CL ignition switch to the TL..This is a longshot because they should be the same. (it's the circular black ring and box around the ignition.)
Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Well you say that's not true. However i use the tko system. Any time i try to add new keys it forces me to delete the old master keys then add a master key and any new keys afterward. The tl and cl key are the same keys when it comes to the chips inside. So why couldn't he just delete the keys from the cl ecu and use the tl ignition and key and program them into the cl ecu. I don't see why you would have to change or do anything else. With the tko system i could have it done if just a few minutes. Assuming i am correct.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

I can. And it did.
So you are telling me that you can put the CL key in the TL ignition and it turns the car? According to your post you are using the TL key with the CL key next to it. So NO you cant and NO you didnt.

I do have a green flashing key. I am using the old TL key, with the new CL key next to it. Hoping the ECU will catch the CL key's chip, even though the TL key is inserted into the car.

Also, how hard is it to swap the ignition key cylinder?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Unregistered Member

So you are telling me that you can put the CL key in the TL ignition and it turns the car? According to your post you are using the TL key with the CL key next to it. So NO you cant and NO you didnt.
No, I CAN and I DID. I was trying to use the TL key with the CL key next to it, but it was a no go. The CL key works perfectly just by itself, with the TL key across the garage.

I guess my ignition is the easy girl in town? The TL key doesn't fit into the CL, so I guess I just got lucky.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by blue02S
Well you say that's not true. However i use the tko system. Any time i try to add new keys it forces me to delete the old master keys then add a master key and any new keys afterward. The tl and cl key are the same keys when it comes to the chips inside. So why couldn't he just delete the keys from the cl ecu and use the tl ignition and key and program them into the cl ecu. I don't see why you would have to change or do anything else. With the tko system i could have it done if just a few minutes. Assuming i am correct.
There is nothing to change. if he were to go the dealer route he would need the pcm code for the CL ECM, to program the existing TL keys in his car now to the CL ECM. thats how it is done with honda Equipment.

Either way will work. some prefer to have the dealer do it rather than a mobile key/locksmith. was just offering my advice as i do this everyday....
Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

I see where your coming from now fabricatior. I was just trying to offer up my advice as well. I work for car-mart as a purchasing agent. We can cut and program most keys for $35. Just offering that up as well that there are cheaper routes than the dealer, but we all know that.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

No, I CAN and I DID. I was trying to use the TL key with the CL key next to it, but it was a no go. The CL key works perfectly just by itself, with the TL key across the garage.

I guess my ignition is the easy girl in town? The TL key doesn't fit into the CL, so I guess I just got lucky.
So you are saying your TL ignition with the CL key inserted turns and starts the car?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Unregistered Member

So you are saying your TL ignition with the CL key inserted turns and starts the car?
Yes I am. The CL key inserts, turns, and starts the car. However, it does not work on the door locks. Also, the TL key does not work on the CL.

The keys are cut pretty close, I think I just got lucky.