Car was Dying last night :run:

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Unhappy Car was Dying last night :run:

Hey guys!
Been a while, but necessity calls.

My car was involved in a hit and run a few weeks ago (just the trunk and bumper need repair) and it had been fine since.

But I drove home from school a this weekend (220Mi trip) and the TL was great, got home and went to run some errands and the check engine light came on, I looked under the bay and found no visual clues about anything wrong and thought it was just due to the EXTREME cold we have been having.

Well I drove back last night and It was fine with the 'Engine light' on only.
And then I started it up to go to a friends house and in the Snow I turn the TCS off usually, but at start up it was already on and pressing the button made no change to the light. All I had to do was get home and thought I would check it out when I made it back.

But on the drive back the car just died at several points, no knocking, no bouncing, nothing. I held the gears also in MM and gates but it wouldn't rev past about 3500 RPM either. Even gave it a bit of gas as I thought it was stalling out from the cold .

No good, It proceeded to die several times again. What I did was put it in neutral and coast to a stop put in park and take the key out and re start it and it would work for a bit and drive but It happened a total of 5 time on the 3 Mi drive back.

I have no idea what could cause this , perhaps its the bitter cold messing with the electronics?

The battery is fine as it started up fine each time I put it in park and took the key out (wouldn't start in neutral)

Could it be the Alternator?
I was literally going to get my timing belt done this week too as I have saved for that now as well.

TL;DR Kar was fine on 400 Mi round trips, but got the engine light on, the upon return TCS light came on aswell. After parking for ~4 Hours and 3 Mi drive back home car died 5 times, prompting restart by taking keys out in park.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 23 Posts
Yo brother, gotta get those codes!

Got a scanner?
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Pro

Hey man!
No, not yet I'm gonna try and get it to a Oreilleys or something.
Its kinda hard cuz I have to possibly get the car to them or something, IDK if some are open on Sunday's.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Az, O'Riley's, and advance are all open today, pick the one closest to you and take it there.

Hit me up when you get the codes!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Any recent issues or previous symptoms other than the present situation ?

If ya can make it to get the codes checked at an auto parts store......have them perform a load test on the electrical system. Could be a wiring or ground problem ? Hopefully it's not the tranny !!! If the CEL flashes, the car is in limp mode.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Pro

Ok so I was able to take the car to Autozone only stalling twice.
When I got there I got the codes read and there were 5 of them!

The Codes were as follows (also can mods ad tags so others are able to find this thread if other people have codes like mine? I was able to look it up but wasnt all that clear on the threads that showed on Google):

P0300 - Random Cylinder misfire (Possible cause: Fuel system / Ignition system / Mass Air Flow sensor faulty / Oxygen ratio sensor fault / blocked intake or exhaust)

P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire (Possible cause: vacuum leak / ignition system fault / faulty ignition system)

P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire (Possible cause: vacuum leak / ignition system fault / faulty ignition system)

P0305 - Cylinder 5 misfire (Possible cause: vacuum leak / ignition system fault / faulty ignition system)

P1361 - TDC sensor intermittent interruption (Possible cause: Poor electrical connection / Mechanical condition / Failed TDC sensor)

It seems to be that the TDC sensor has failed, does anybody know if they can be repaired? Or do I have to replace the unit entirely
Old 03-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Instructor

http://m.honda-tech.com/showthread.p...920&styleid=18

http://engine-codes.com/p1361_acura.html

Check these wires and the sensor, either our Michigan corrosion got to a wire, or the sensor is grenading
Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
The timing belt has to come off for that sensor to be replaced, But I suspect a bad connection somewhere, The connector for that sensor is located right by the power steering pump, Look for damaged wires or corrosion.
Lastly check the main ecu ground on the thermostat, it should be tight and no corrosion.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Pro

Ok I will check it all tomorrow.
Where specifically is the Main ECU ground?

And if it is bad then its fine to me as I was going to get the Timing belt done too!
Thats a big relief.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Follow the lower coolant hose that comes from the radiator to the engine then on the thermostat housing, its under the hose bolted to the thermostat.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Pro

I will also be moving my coil packs around to see if it is the coil packs that might have gone bad and the sensor is detecting that.

If the problem follows then its simply the coil packs!

Also doing my timing belt and gonna replace the Power steering belt and Cam seals along with everything in the AISIN kit, anything else?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Did you check for check the wires of both cam sensors ?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

TDC sensor......P1361 code

Originally Posted by Gabru678

P0300 - Random Cylinder misfire (Possible cause: Fuel system / Ignition system / Mass Air Flow sensor faulty / Oxygen ratio sensor fault / blocked intake or exhaust)
P1361 - TDC sensor intermittent interruption (Possible cause: Poor electrical connection / Mechanical condition / Failed TDC sensor)

It seems to be that the TDC sensor has failed, does anybody know if they can be repaired? Or do I have to replace the unit entirely
Hey Gabru678......The TDC sensor most likely is causing your problems.
Check the sensor's wiring and connector.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM
Pro

So I fixed it you guys! !

I was looking at the wiring and found the main ECU ground (the one that seems to be wrapped up several times?) and couldn't find anything wrong.

So I got some help from the Senior Master tech and he looked around for a bit but couldn't find anything wrong either (to be fair he works on Subaru's and isn't too familiar with teh J32) and so he called his other friend who works on Honda's and he said the sensors rarely go wrong and its likely something else in the wiring end that went wrong.

So we looked at the TDC and looked at the connector and we found......some water in there!

It seemed to be that the connector got some water residue in there and was causing the error. We got an airgun and cleared both ends out and read the codes and none came !

I have been driving it around for a few days and no issues to report! A free fix tho !

It seems like a pretty stupid thing and is kinda embarrassing lol
So if we could never mention it......That would be cool.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gabru678
So I fixed it you guys! !

So we looked at the TDC and looked at the connector and we found......some water in there! It seemed to be that the connector got some water residue in there and was causing the error. We got an airgun and cleared both ends out and read the codes and none came !
I have been driving it around for a few days and no issues to report! A free fix tho !
So if we could never mention it......That would be cool.

Great news on the simple fix !!!

By following up.....things like this help others to realize checking the basics first. thanks ......