Unusual clicking noise in front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Unusual clicking noise in front brakes

If I am stopped and I push the brake pedal down further I can hear a click coming from the front brakes. If I continue pushing harder it will click a few more times. I can actually feel it in the pedal but you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it.

I took the pins that hold the pads in place out and cleaned them up using a wire wheel. They weren't that rusty but I figured I would start there. I used molylube on the pins when I put them back in. Unfortunately that didn't fix it nor did I think it would but that was the easiest first step.

​​​​​​I assume the clicking is the pistons sticking in the caliper. I imagine removing the caliper and pads and inspecting the movement of the pistons is my next step.

Has anyone here experienced this? I've never felt or heard brakes do this before.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Not the first time I've heard this reported about this car.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Not the first time I've heard this reported about this car.
Any idea what might be the cause?

I am going to remove the pads to see if anything seems odd. Then I'll clean and relube them if everything seems ok. Maybe that will fix it???
Old 11-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Worth a look. You might find some road junk got in there. I found a small rock inside the cup of the piston during my last brake service. How that got in there, I have no idea!
Potentially some involvement from the Master Cylinder too. You've got more than one seal inside the MC that controls fluid to the lines. When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed and replaced? MC is a fairly straight forward swap out with a new one, if it came to it.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Soon after I purchased my 06 RL, one of the front brakes started to have the clicking noise when I press the brake pedal and/or start releasing it. Since I got the warranty I took it to the dealer and had both front calipers replaced (only one was found to be the bad one, but replaced them in pair).

There are two things that may be wrong:
1. Calipers are bad (rather pistons which are too dry) - perhaps rebuilding them or getting replacements is the solution, either or.
2. Potentially, it could be your brake pads, especially if they are about half-through or close to end of life. What some of these pads tend to develop is a separation of the backplate on the brake pads. This produces a very similar noise of clicking but only during very hot weather and after longer driving where braking is engaged often. If you wash your car and it goes away at least temporarily - you will know it is the pads.

#2 I experienced once with Duralast Gold C-Max pads... since, I got Akebono's and this is no longer the case... also, I do live in Chicagoland so temperatures are not that high anyway...
The following users liked this post:
Josi589 (04-06-2022)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by rl015
Soon after I purchased my 06 RL, one of the front brakes started to have the clicking noise when I press the brake pedal and/or start releasing it. Since I got the warranty I took it to the dealer and had both front calipers replaced (only one was found to be the bad one, but replaced them in pair).

There are two things that may be wrong:
1. Calipers are bad (rather pistons which are too dry) - perhaps rebuilding them or getting replacements is the solution, either or.
2. Potentially, it could be your brake pads, especially if they are about half-through or close to end of life. What some of these pads tend to develop is a separation of the backplate on the brake pads. This produces a very similar noise of clicking but only during very hot weather and after longer driving where braking is engaged often. If you wash your car and it goes away at least temporarily - you will know it is the pads.

#2 I experienced once with Duralast Gold C-Max pads... since, I got Akebono's and this is no longer the case... also, I do live in Chicagoland so temperatures are not that high anyway...
The pads are Akebono and they are not that old. The brake fluid was flushed about three years ago.

I haven't had time to remove and inspect the pads. I will do that next week. I am assuming the issue is with the pistons in the calipers. The brakes are still working well and this is only noticeable when I am stopped. If the pads are good I might just leave it alone. I will consider replacing both calipers or rebuilding them if the problem gets worse.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by beekermartin
The pads are Akebono and they are not that old. The brake fluid was flushed about three years ago.

I haven't had time to remove and inspect the pads. I will do that next week. I am assuming the issue is with the pistons in the calipers. The brakes are still working well and this is only noticeable when I am stopped. If the pads are good I might just leave it alone. I will consider replacing both calipers or rebuilding them if the problem gets worse.
So you can rule out it is the pads, considering they are Akebono's and not that old, plus fluid was flushed... I would now aim at the calipers, because again mine were replaced and that issue was no longer there...
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beekermartin
If I am stopped and I push the brake pedal down further I can hear a click coming from the front brakes. If I continue pushing harder it will click a few more times. I can actually feel it in the pedal but you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it.

I took the pins that hold the pads in place out and cleaned them up using a wire wheel. They weren't that rusty but I figured I would start there. I used molylube on the pins when I put them back in. Unfortunately that didn't fix it nor did I think it would but that was the easiest first step.

​​​​​​I assume the clicking is the pistons sticking in the caliper. I imagine removing the caliper and pads and inspecting the movement of the pistons is my next step.

Has anyone here experienced this? I've never felt or heard brakes do this before.
I started having this issue today and found a video where someone with an “06 RL said that it was a piston that was stuck. Supposedly he cleaned it up and the problem went away, did you try this?