No More OnStar????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
My RL has Onstar?!?

Seriously, I've had my car for just about a year, and didn't even activiate it.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Looks like another vote against me.

I've tried researching this on the internet, but haven't come up with anything that suggests digital signals somehow travel shorter distances than analog signals. Can you explain why that is? Both digital and analog phones appear to use the same signal strength, so it would seem that their range would, if anything, be equal.

Hey Mike, I not an engineer in this field either but I used to work for AT&T back in the 80's /90's and had some good friends who were actually working on the technology in it's infancy in the 70's. I just remember being told (in the 90's when digital was rolling out) the "new" digital signals don't carry as far. Again, this was years ago. I don't remember the reasons, but, if I had to guess I would suspect it's due to the frequency range digital travels on. (not some inherent shortcoming with digital).

Analog Cell technlogy was the first introduced, it stands to reason it was certainly assigned the best available frequency range by the FCC. When digital was introduced, it had to be assigned a different (probably less desirable) frequency for operating. All things being equal, the higher the frequency, the "weaker" the signal and more easily interupted. Think of it like sound waves. The low frequency base coming from a subwoofer can penetrate through walls more easily then the high frequency tweeter sounds. As a result, when you're in another room (or another car) all you hear and feel are the lower frequency sounds. Similarly, low frequency light travels farther then high frequency. That's why if you go scuba diving everything starts taking on a blue tint the further down you go. The low frequency blue penetrates further into the water then the high frequency reds.

Given health and safety reasons, it was probably not an option to simply increase the power output of the phone. As a result, the towers needed to just be closer.

Is this still an RL topic?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:33 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Digital signals either work or not. You can't have the fading in and out that analog have. If you've ever tried HDTV you either get a signal or you don't... no in-between. Perhaps this is why it's said that analog travels further.

Digital uses less power, allows for more density inside the stream, has bigger bandwidth, etc. It's better for some things, worse for others.

But OnStar is ending analog service so it's a moot point.

The Europeans only use GSM because their governments told them that's what they have to use. We have a hodge podge of systems but I think you'd be hard pressed to find analog still around. Too bad because one of these puts out enough power to send a signal damn near anywhere:

Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I heard a while ago that if your car is OnStar equiped and even if you aren't subscribed, they will react to an airbag deployment as if you were subscribed. I can't find anything on this. Anyone else hear anything like this?

LL
Old 08-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Not to let this cell network discussion get out of hand, but.....Verizon (which is OnStar's primary provider) and Sprint are not GSM, they are CDMA. I desperately wanted VZW to be GSM when the iPhone came out, but alas.....

So should I take this further and say that I have both GSM and CDMA phones. In the DC area, I get far more busy signals and dropouts and such with GSM vs CDMA, both digital, both used during rush hour.

I think architecturally, because I live in a very densely populated area, CDMA has the edge here because of the inherent CDMA ability to handle more calls per cell than TDMA GSM. I think many times I am running at the ragged edge of the GSM cell capabilities, which is why I get the dropouts during busy times.

However, I do get much better building penetration with GSM because my 850 MHZ GSM is a lot better than the 1900 MHZ CDMA (lower frequency equals better building penetration).

I guess the best thing would be to get the 900 MHZ Verizon CDMA service, but I am a sucker for the 20% discount I get from Sprint.

What does this have to do with OnStar, nothing except that if we are digital, then we would be using the Verizon 900 MHz CDMA network with OnStar (which I have yet to use. I guess I should burn up those 100 minutes before they expire).
Old 12-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6
So for $199 per year, if your child or wife was driving and hit by a drunk driver and their car ran off the road and wrecked and they were knocked unconsious OnStar would send somebody to help them and maybe save their life? All for less than the price of two matinee tickets at the movie theater per month? Seems worth it to me.
Onstar just called me and offered me a renewal for $149 because I kept putting them off. This is 10 days before my subscription goes belly up. So I guess I will sign up...still not sure what I would use it for excpet for the scenario above...
Old 12-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Onstar just called me and offered me a renewal for $149 because I kept putting them off. This is 10 days before my subscription goes belly up. So I guess I will sign up...still not sure what I would use it for excpet for the scenario above...
They didn't offer me anything like that. I renewed the day my subscription was supposed to complete back in September.

This must be a new program.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was kind of hoping we'd hear something by now about a replacement service for Onstar. When they dumped Onstar in 07 I was sure they had their own service in the wings ready to go. Anyone hear anything about 09MY
Old 12-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

Nothing beyond that Reuters article in another thread that 09 will be a MMC
Old 12-16-2007, 03:00 AM
JDM FREAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I renwed m on star subscription in November and just before i did that, i asked the rep whether i'll need to change anything in my cay to digital, so they check my VIN and informed me that 05 Rl's have digital set up and the change wont affect them.
Two days ago, i unsuccessfully attempted to make a phone call and een tried the emergency service, but without any answer. i noticed the status light which was always green, is now flashing red. I called on star by phone and they told me to take my car to the dealer and have my software updated.
When i got to the dealer, i was informed that there are at least 59 RL owners who complained about the same issue in a metter of two days.
I left my car there and it'll be checked on Monday, so please check your status light which is between the call and emergency buttons.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Qatar,
I'm interested in knowing how the visit to the dealership turns out. Please keep us informed. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

It would be nice if we could just activate the cell phone and not have to deal with onstar. I would love to use the Verizon equipment that is installed for onstar use as a cellphone only service.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

GM would love to hear that from you. They purposely didn't include Bluetooth connectivity in the new CTS precisely so that people can use the OnStar equipment for their handsfree phone calls. Thankfully, Acura gave us the choice not to have to pay $120 (in my case--I've been a Verizon customer for 13 years) a year for yet another line.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jhummer
It would be nice if we could just activate the cell phone and not have to deal with onstar. I would love to use the Verizon equipment that is installed for onstar use as a cellphone only service.

Even though I don't have Verizon service, I was willing to buy a block of minutes for those times where I can't get a signal with AT&T or those rare occasions where I forget my phone.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Ah, just checked my credit card statement and OnStar charged me $199.

I called them and they said they acknowledge $149 and will credit the difference.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM
JDM FREAK

I got my car back
The On star was reset, and thats all it needed. When Onstar switched from analog to digital towers, some older vehicles (purchased between 2004- 2005) were affected and required a system reset.
Mine is working fine now.
checked your status light, if its red. make sure you take it to the dealer.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Safety Car

good data. I never look at the OnStar, much less notice what color it is.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Ah, just checked my credit card statement and OnStar charged me $199.

I called them and they said they acknowledge $149 and will credit the difference.
They just called me the other day and I said no. If they lower it to $149, I'll probably bite. I know it's only $50 but considering I'd never used it beyond setting it up, I see no need to go for the full $199. I'd love to be able to pay by the use rather than monthly (or annually). I'd be willing to pay a higher single use fee since I'd only use it when really needed.

LL
Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear

Hack the OnStar in my RL

Can some really bright mind out there comes with an idea how to use the obsolete analog OnStar in our vehicules for other things like HandFree connections, AUX in, etc... Anybody have a wirering diagram for the connection to the stereo? Or maybe use the connection to extend my navigation voice to all 4 speakers.

Calling on all geniuses and geeks out there.

Oh, by the way concentrate all efforts on the 02 RL w/ nav.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by osokona
Can some really bright mind out there comes with an idea how to use the obsolete analog OnStar in our vehicules for other things like HandFree connections, AUX in, etc... Anybody have a wirering diagram for the connection to the stereo? Or maybe use the connection to extend my navigation voice to all 4 speakers.

Calling on all geniuses and geeks out there.

Oh, by the way concentrate all efforts on the 02 RL w/ nav.
Try posting in the 1st gen RL forum.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Welcome to AZ!

I copied your post to the 1G RL forum, which is what you have. You will find more appropriate answers there. The link is https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/hack-onstar-my-rl-698495/ . To my knowledge, there is no hack for the analog system of the 1G RL yet.