Dual shift sylanoid A broke twice

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual shift sylanoid A broke twice

I need help please for Acura 2007 RL 3.5 VTEC.

Situation: dual solenoid on side of transmission top of the two I believe
Is A has been replaced twice. First time A was cracked so I
Replaced. Second time drove fine for about 10 minutes then wouldn't shift so I forced it to drive cuz I was in manual trying to get it through shift and exploded the plunger out of solenoid A and dumped all the fluid on the ground I had to have a tow back it's been there since .
Problems it might have been severely overflowed with atf. I didn't know how to read the dipstick at that time and it was like halfway to 3/4 up the stick.

I think it just might have been overflowed but the fact that it blew out the same solenoid each time leads me to believe it might be something else I currently have my car on jack stands with transmission accessible I don't know if it is the computer that I need to reset or if there's some sort of sensor or something that governs that solenoid I have the fluid to do the three times three flush but before I do that and put this third attempt on I want to make sure that it doesn't blow again cuz it's getting expensive and I need some advice on what to check before I do that flush.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:59 AM
8th Gear

Im not sure there is much that you can check without opening up the transmission.

Where are you getting the selonoids from? I got a used one from a local wrecking yard for very cheap, they are pretty common.

I would say you need to make sure you have the correct amount of fluid before you try anything else, so you can at least eliminate that as the cause.

The correct way to check is to run the engine untill the cooling fans turn on, turn the engine off and then check the level.

Was the Engine light on?

Last edited by Ottomobille; 01-03-2024 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ottomobille
Im not sure there is much that you can check without opening up the transmission.

Where are you getting the selonoids from? I got a used one from a local wrecking yard for very cheap, they are pretty common.

I would say you need to make sure you have the correct amount of fluid before you try anything else, so you can at least eliminate that as the cause.

The correct way to check is to run the engine untill the cooling fans turn on, turn the engine off and then check the level.

Was the Engine light on?
Thank you for all that information I appreciate it and I will do that I also need to check the pan on the transmission but I don't know where that is at I can't figure it out if someone could show me a picture of where the pan is at that would be great I just need check for metal shavings
Old 02-02-2024, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
there's no "pan" you'll just need to pop off the drain bolt at the bottom of the transmission case (3/8" socket) and there is a magnet on the bolt that will catch all the metal shavings.