E-008: DIY: Rear View Mirror Rattle fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
E-008: DIY: Rear View Mirror Rattle fix

Hey guys, not sure if this is already here or not but I thought I would do a write up for it.

The other day I noticed my mirror was bouncing around slightly and then today it was a little worse, so I pulled it apart and fixed it after work today. Super simple to do and it's another rattle of the list.

Tools you will need:
-Pliers of any sort (I used needle nose)
-Panel tool

E-008: DIY: Rear View Mirror Rattle fix-ylwbbyt.jpg

There's 3 pieces that come off one closest to the windshield, one on the opposite end of the mirror arm, and one on the headliner.

E-008: DIY: Rear View Mirror Rattle fix-h7uvl5r.jpg

Pop all three off and unplug the mirror wire from the connector in the headliner. Then slide the mirror down the window off the 'hook', if your mirror was rattling it will likely easily slide off.

** Be careful when popping the mirror arm trim off, it's only held on by tiny plastic barbs and they can be easily damaged. If they are they won't clip back in properly or very tight. This happened to me on the trim piece facing the back of the car, and now I will need to buy a new trim piece. I'm hoping to god it comes separate of the mirror assembly! Otherwise, glue it is

E-008: DIY: Rear View Mirror Rattle fix-0mdzmjq.jpg

E-008: DIY: Rear View Mirror Rattle fix-pfakswj.jpg

The reason for the rattling comes from this metal clip here. Over time and bass and bumps the clip gets stretched, hence rattle.
Squeeze both clips together till they are slightly*** bent closer than before. If you bend it too far the mirror may not slide back onto the mount on the windshield.

If you want to go the extra mile and be careful, you can remove the bracket by taking out the torx screw holding it on and bend it back while it's not attached to the mirror. Then re-attach it.

E-008: DIY: Rear View Mirror Rattle fix-f6f68eh.jpg

E-008: DIY: Rear View Mirror Rattle fix-efaoycg.jpg

Then reattach and clip the panels back into place and you're good to go, rattle free!
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (01-29-2017)