Considering a 07 ES 350 or a 06 Acura RL would like opinons

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Considering a 07 ES 350 or a 06 Acura RL would like opinons

I am about to buy either a 07 ES with 30K miles or 06 RL with 10K miles the RL is $1K or more cheaper. I was wondering if there is anything on the ES I am missing out on that the RL doesn't have? The ES I want is BLUE and the RL is white (hate the color) the only bad thing on the RL part is that the gas mileage seems to be only like 20mpg compared to like 32mpg on the ES? which is a considerable difference in my opinon (I drive 40K miles a year). any response will be appreciated
Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
the gas mileage is that big a difference?
Old 04-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
ES will have better gas mileage but not that much. I'd expect 32 mpg at BEST rather than average.

My experience in a 2nd generation RL has been 27 mpg on the freeway.

As for the two cars.. the RL is far far more of a driver's vehicle. The ES is this generation's Buick.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You’re kidding right?

Intro level ES 350 FWD (270hp) vs. Acura RL (290hp) AWD flagship of Acura???

Plus with the spec your giving, a 07 ES 350 with 30k miles vs. 06 RL with only 10K miles for the same price (1k less)??? I'm no expert, but the mpg is more like 21-30 for the ES vs. 18-26 with the RL. And comparing the two is like apple vs. orange due to the FWD vs. AWD. I have had my 05 RL for about 3 weeks, and hands down this is the best car I have ever driven (test drove the BMW 530xi, BMW 330xi, Infiniti M35x, Lexus GS 350 awd) so comparing it with a ES 350 is a travesty.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I really tried to be objective in thinking through your question so as to not sound like a "fanboy" as a former visitor on this site used to call many of us.

I'd still consider the RL for the following reasons, many already stated.

* Lower miles on the RL
* AWD vs. FWD, also keep in mind that the SH-AWD isn't any old AWD system
* RL more of a drivers car

Furthermore you didn't list out the features on the ES. Given that the RL is the flagship, it would have more standard features. I did look up the '07 ES. The "base" model doesn't come close to the content of the RL. You have to start adding option packages for Bluetooth, Navigation, Adaptive headlights, Mark Levinson, etc. to begin even coming close to what the RL offers. Until you can provide a bit more information, it is very difficult to provide an objective opinion.

Another thing that may be overlooked (I did) that is real, and that is the voice recognition. Our '04 Land Cruiser has the same Nav/VR set up as Lexus at the time. THe VR was and still is worthless. I stopped trying to use it within weeks of owning the car. As a result, when I bought my RL, I never really took the "voice recognition" feature seriously as I had written off the technology. I was extremely and pleasantly surprised after I bought the car as to how accurate and usable the technology is. I truly do believe that this is an overlooked feature that Acura salesman should highlight if they know people are cross shopping with Lexus.

Now I know that Lexus has made some improvements, but last I checked over at ClubLexus, people still are less than enthused.

I still personally feel that Acura makes some fo the best Navigation/Handsfree setups on the market. Although I do think that Ford's new Sync system does begin to narrow the gap, but that's another topic.

Either way you won't go wrong. It depends on your preference. Both are handsome cars. Both will prove to be above average in reliability. One is more of a driver's car, the other focuses more on coddling.

It's comes up to what you want out of the car.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Instructor

I'm no expert on either car but here is a link with a bit more info on average gas milage for both cars side-by-side.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008s...Acura&model=RL
Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
ES will have better gas mileage but not that much. I'd expect 32 mpg at BEST rather than average.

My experience in a 2nd generation RL has been 27 mpg on the freeway.

As for the two cars.. the RL is far far more of a driver's vehicle. The ES is this generation's Buick.

I've driven the ES. Looks good, driving experience is indeed a yawner. The RL is MUCH a more engaging, yet comfortable and smooth driver. It's quieter, too. After I took all my mods off, my RL was just eerily quiet other than tire noise. My best gas mileage was 26 mpg, was 24-5 if I pushed the cruising speed on long trips to 80-85.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Racer

Which one of the RL's would you go with here?

http://www.goodsonacura.com/vehicled...avigation&Extc=

that one has the aspec package not sure about the suspension

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...=&cardist=6442

the 06 with low miles
Old 04-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Racer

I bought a 98 acura NSX super charged widebody in 2000 the one from John Eagle acura back in 2001 and also bought a 03 TL-s new (only drove for a few months) long story there I used to have a 92 es300 which was like a normal car to me no acceleration or anything. My best car was a 02 GS 430 which I really miss. right now driving a 99 volkswagon passat with 181K miles on it. it is the I4 version and that thing stinks. I have been hit on all 3 sides. I had an std elcipse car leave their emergency brake off and it rolled into mine causing $1,800 worth of damage, then pep boys dropped a big sign on it another $1,800 and then i got hit in the back $800 and never fixed any of it. The ABS computer module is gone, the air bag light is on, the glove box opening door is broke, the arm rest is broke, the door handel drive side is broke, have to pull at the top where the window is to get in. passenger seat broke, can't adjust the tilt on it. and spent around $4k in the past 2 years fixing this and that and that is what I am upgrading from. it has 181K miles on it. It is time for a new timing belt, water pump, shocks are kind of bad etc but that is what I use to drive to dallas (200 miles) once a week in and I was thinking about keeping it another 2 years but not sure if it will last and will probably keep the passat to drive around town in (a beater) and this to travel out.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Racer

Asked the same question in lexus and so far no response

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es35...e-opinons.html

that is the link there so far nothing

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...5&cardist=6442

is the link for the es350
Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmmm....tough choice.

I like the looks of the one with A-Spec wheels better. *biased--I had the A-Spec suspension and wheels*...and it looks like a fair (not great) deal given the miles on it. You'd have to talk them down a bit, I'd guess.

The second one has fewer miles and is a good price for a 2006. I'd go for the second if I weren't interested in modding, and for the first if I were interested in at least handling mods (e.g. A-Spec).

LOL at the lack of interest over at CL....
Old 04-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Racer

price

i can't talk them down on the price maybe if I was there. I have talked to the Sales rep and the Supposely used car manager and the price $21,111 is the lowest they will accept for it even if I pay cash for it. It has been there since Jan 2 or so.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Racer

a-spec

I can't find any info (didn't look good) but how much is the a-spec package? or can you just buy the wheels. They don't tell you at the dealer that the sliver one has the a-spec on it so I don't know if it came as a package or they just added the wheels, if it came as a package how much did it cost and like what is the difference in the suspension? ride alot rougher or what?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Racer

a-spec

How much is the aspec package on the car? or did the car come just with the wheels? the dealer doesn't say anything about the wheels at all so I don't know if it came as a package or someone just put on the wheels. Also the suspension a lot different with the a-spec like rougher ride or what?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Racer

One More

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

that one has like 88K miles on it and only $16,500 or so is that a "good" deal or better then the rest? Hard to find good deals anywhere on this
Old 04-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by krava
I can't find any info (didn't look good) but how much is the a-spec package? or can you just buy the wheels. They don't tell you at the dealer that the sliver one has the a-spec on it so I don't know if it came as a package or they just added the wheels, if it came as a package how much did it cost and like what is the difference in the suspension? ride alot rougher or what?
The wheels are around $1400 new not including tires. The A-Spec suspension is around $600. Your mileage may vary depending on which dealers are offering which parts on eBay.

The A-Spec suspension/wheel/decent tire mod improves handling significantly without a substantial loss of ride quality. Less body roll in the turns, acceleration squat, braking dip...sharper steering. better road feel were my experience.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Racer

suspension

how can you tell if it has the a-spec suspension?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2007 ES350 19/27 22mpg combined
2006 Acura RL 16/24 19mpg combined

A difference which could be significant or negligible to you.

I am a huge Lexus fan and still own 2 of them and have driven several ES's while having the SUV serviced. The ES is a nice car.
Both the RL and ES have had their issues posted several times here and on CL.

Beyond that, it really depends on what your looking for. The RL being a few steps higher up the food chain vs the ES.
The ES is pure a pure yawn-mobile and at that it does it well. It is quiet (minus the window hiss), and floats nicely down the road. As someone above nicely put-coddle factor. Plus you see them everywhere.
Transmission flares, window hiss, etc are known issues. RL has plenty of them as well though the 06 is improved.

What are you really looking for? A lot of good advice posted by others.

Put another way, I chose this over getting another GS as the new style does little for me. The ES was never on my list of consideration. Base model, Camry underpinnings (not that the Camry is bad), and FWD really kills it for me. I can say I much prefer the bluetooth in the ES vs the RL in case that matters.
Both built well.

IMO:

MPG: ES
Fun factor: RL, more engaging. Not even close. I would not buy another FWD car. My last being a crappy Fusion.
Features: RL
Acceleration: Tie
Safety: RL hands down. The front structure under the RL is beefy and crash tests prove it. RL>ES. AWD also helps avoid an accident.
Inclement driving: RL- Cannot touch RWD with FWD.
Coddle factor: RL with it's active noise canceling.
Sound system: ES with ML audio system. Nothing touches it. RL is pretty decent though.
Food chain factor: RL is top of the line, ES is at the bottom.

Best of luck.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're losing AWD and the ability to use the Nav while driving. Also, the ES is a Camry with wood and not built to the same quality as the RL.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Racer

carfax

anyone use carfax when buying a car? I looked up the white LOW mile RL and it says it has 12 records on it. if it has 12 Records and only 10K miles seems like something happend to it?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow that Troy Seller dealership has a lot of nice cars!!!

I would check out that 05/07 Infinity G35's and even the 08 TL type S for around the same price.

If i had to choice between the two RL, i think the white one with 10k miles would be the best choice. It is about 1k more then the A-spec one with higher miles but you can always add the wheels and susp as Bob said for around 2.5Kish? GL
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Racer

08 type S

What do you like about the 08 tls over the RL? I was going to get a 04 TL awhile back but then all the transmisson problems
Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree Krava..Around here in Colorado 06 RL with 10k miles is running around 29k-26k.

Better watch out for salvage title or a Reconstructed Title as another memeber here posted about a 06 RL on ebay auction.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Pro

anyone use carfax when buying a car? I looked up the white LOW mile RL and it says it has 12 records on it. if it has 12 Records and only 10K miles seems like something happend to it?
Pull it up to see. Several records for first sale, # of registrations, etc. add up and each is considered a record if memory serves.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Michigan Wolverines Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Opinion - not sure if it counts

My wife has an ES 300 and I have an 05 RL. Her car is extremely nice but not a "driver's" car. It is built for the interior comfort and looks just like a Camry going down the road!

the RL, while being a glorified Honda as I have been told, at least does not look like anything but an Acura RL going down the road. Since I have purchased mine in December, I have seen approx. 5 of these in South Carolina throughout the state! There just aren't a lot of these cars on the road, so you will get a lot of looks from folks.

If you don't care about the driving factor, then the ES has a nicer comfortable ride although it is a little smaller on the interior. If you like driving, then get the RL, you won't be sorry!

My wife said she takes my car when she feels like going fast...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

how can you tell if it has the a-spec suspension?
You can't for sure unless you ask the previous owner, not always possible. The wheel gap is noticeably lower than a stock RL, but you'd have to put a stock RL next to the A-Spec one to see it.

As far as Carfax, they now take reports from dealers on dealer service, recalls, etc. For example, a Carfax on my prior RL yields many of my service visits as well as the standard licensing/new owner items. So a large number of items is not necessarily a bad thing. it's more to make you curious enough to get you to pay for a full report.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Pro

One further thing to add, it may or may not be relevant to you is the dealership experience. Acura in my experience is on par with Ford, Gm, etc. To say not good would be an understatement. Lexus on the other hand is in a league by itself even if your in a ES or IS.
The difference is night and day. I'm sure there are good Acura dealers out there somewhere, I have yet to find one .
Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
ES<RL... but the guys on CL have a good suggestion to you... if you are in that price range, you can pick up an LS430 1 or 2 yrs older...

i have the 4.3L V8 in my GS and the MPG isn't that bad.. prob on par with the RL...
Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
ES<RL... but the guys on CL have a good suggestion to you... if you are in that price range, you can pick up an LS430 1 or 2 yrs older...

i have the 4.3L V8 in my GS and the MPG isn't that bad.. prob on par with the RL...
Similar driving the 4.3 gets about 2 mpg less than the RL.
When my SC had headers, 3.76 gears, tc, exhaust, intake, etc I was getting around 17mpg with my driving style. I get around 22 mpg with my aggressive driving style on the RL. Headers , intake, gears removed I am getting around 19mpg in the SC. The SC weighing in around 80lbs more than a GS.
Of course I don't think the RL can stand a candle next to my SC in the straight line, but I plan on dragging the both of them one of these days to find out.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Racer

If the cars both have clean carfax's, confirmed accident free, and are in the same condition, RL hands down.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Racer

time to kill thread

both cars are out of the question as both came from a company that sells TOTAL LOSS cars
Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

Krava ?

How did you find out that both dealers sell total loss vehicles. Do you know if they sell total loss cars exclusively??
Old 04-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Racer

Carfax

I did a car fax on atleast 5 of the cars, 3/5 where total loss cars and the others where Flooded/fire messed up cars. Even when I called them they said that is all they sell but they said they do have a 6 month warrenty (but through them). This is kind of a major investment on my behalf as I don't make the money I used to. I can afford to pay $15K or whatever on a car and then pay another $10K in repairs in the next 2 years. I bought a car for $5k and then spent $4K in 2 years in repairs.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are 2 totally diff cars i drove both.

The es seems like it floats down the road kinday has a big caddy feel to it, very comfy but handling is crappy.
The RL handling feels tight more road feel.
So its what YOU like better some people like floating down the road I on the other hand like to take turns double the posted speed therfore would take the RL.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Rl>es
Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
RL, easy.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a partial report from AutoCheck, which should be enough for anyone considering it:

04/04/2007 VIRGINIA BEACH, VA 10,342
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
SALVAGE
INSURANCE LOSS
POSSIBLE TOTAL LOSS - VEHICLE TITLED/REGISTERED TO AN INSURANCE COMPANY 01/20/2009 COTTONDALE, AL

01/20/2009 COTTONDALE, AL
Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:39979899)
REBUILT/REBUILDABLE
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by media_mogul
Since I have purchased mine in December, I have seen approx. 5 of these in South Carolina throughout the state!

I've seen only about 5 or so in the past four years. Of course I have one of the higher VINS world-wide at 17K, so there are not alot in SC.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
What's this Autocheck stuff? Seven records on my car (I didn't pay for the detail), and I bought the car new with no accidents (bought new wheels for rash) with regular service intervals.

WTF?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Pro

There are waving a carrot stick in front of you to entice you into purchasing the report. That report will also include items such as first sale, registrations change,etc. My cleancar fax report had several records already on it.