Cadillac STS AWD vs RL AWD on another forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cadillac STS AWD vs RL AWD on another forum

This may get locked by Bob or even moved but I had to post this. I was on the Cadillac forum (was looking at a STS at one time...don't ask) and there is a thread comparing the two. A few of the posts were bashing the RL. Even though I am not an owner, I had to say a few things on behalf of the RL.

Here is the link in case you were interested.

I kind of took the comments a little too personal I think. Like a Cadillac is the greatest car ever built...Please! Sorry, I'm ok now.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RL is not awd, it is SH-AWD , only car on the market at this time to have this great system. Totally different from AWD, give them the video from Honda.

BMW may have it soon.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nah, I won't lock this one up as it actually deals with the RL. I personally like the look of the recent model STS as I'm a fan of Caddy's Edge styling. I saw nothing in that thread that was terribly offensive. In fact, they seemed rather balanced except for the guy who said "best of all....it's a Cadillac".

The fact is, both cars are slow sellers with potentially poor resale value. The RL happens to have great handling due to SH-AWD. I will admit I've not driven an STS with or without AWD, so I don' t know its dynamics.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Cruisin'

I'm the OP that posted on the Cadillac board.

I really like the styling of the STS, but there are certain things I can't get past.

I haven't driven a RL yet, but my brother has one and I am a long time Honda owner. I'm looking at the base RL, although I may upgrade to the tech package. I'm hoping to replace an ES350 that is being lemoned. The base is comparably equiped to my Lexus.

Any thoughts on these three cars? I'm not crazy about the RL styling, but it really seems like a great car for the money, and probably my best bet.

Depreciation isn't a huge issue, since I plan on keeping the car at least 7 years, but even so, the Cadillac will probably be worth 60% of the RL over time.

And for the record, I thought the comments about RL styling were uncalled for - obviously I knew what both cars looked like when I asked for opinions.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Welcome to AZ!

There are many who think the RL's styling is grandfatherly. With a wheel swap to even Acura's 18" A-Spec wheels, the styling is dramatically changed. A little tint is also helpful, and the rear spoiler tidies up the rear end. I read about your RL deal on the other site and it's a pretty good one for a base model, you can use the money you save for even these simple mods.

The RL is a step up from your ES350 in terms of luxury. It also rides more firmly, allowing you better control of the car. The SH-AWD makes this heavy car handle very sportily, especially with appropriate rubber.

Are you sure you don't want a navi? Make sure you know the answer to this question before you buy. I ask this only to avoid the inevitable threads that I often see on the 3G TL site....."I should've bought the navi! How do I install the factory navi?" In most parts of the country, you can secure a tech model (base +navi, rearview camera), etc. for around $42k or less.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
If you decide on a Base RL, let us know where you found it. They seem to be rare to find, as are the CMBS/PAX models. Most anything I find is a TECH model (which comes with Navi).

Two other features to consider are the Adaptive Front Lighting and backup camera are not offered in the Base model. Also plood on the Base...not that the real wood smells better.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
why is god's name would anyone wana buy a BASE RL??
Old 05-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Just opinion but their designs don't age well. It looks like the new ones won't, either. But to each their own I guess.

Also, despite the recent improvements, I think the interior still looks cheap compared to other cars in its class.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Doesn't the STS outsell the RL?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:09 AM
Cruisin'

I really don't drive my car much (we have two kids and an Odyssey Touring MiniVan, which we love!), so not getting the Nav was more of a personal limit than anything else.

Given what I've been going through with the Lexus, I may treat myself!. And I'm pretty sure I can make a deal for under $42k for the Tech.

There were at least two dealers who had Base RLs near me - one came back at $38k, and one was $38,500.

I've been more concerned with quality issues on the Caddy, although their forum's pretty quiet about big things. Yours' is too, and I have driven 5 or 6 Hondas over the past 20 years, so I know what I'm getting.

Thanks for all of the feedback
Old 05-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
LOL they keep saying, "best of all, its a Cadillac" like that's a reason in itself to buy a car, simply because of a name. Maybe back in the 60's it meant something.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:59 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gpension
I really don't drive my car much (we have two kids and an Odyssey Touring MiniVan, which we love!), so not getting the Nav was more of a personal limit than anything else.

Given what I've been going through with the Lexus, I may treat myself!. And I'm pretty sure I can make a deal for under $42k for the Tech.

There were at least two dealers who had Base RLs near me - one came back at $38k, and one was $38,500.
I think you should factor in resale as well. I can't say this with certainty but I'd suspect it will be harder to sell a base RL in 5 years then one with Navi. Even the trade in value may not keep pace. 5 years from now Navi will almost be a standard piece of equipment. It might be like trying to sell a car without A/C
Old 05-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
The RL is not awd, it is SH-AWD , only car on the market at this time to have this great system. Totally different from AWD, give them the video from Honda.

BMW may have it soon.
That's like saying Quattro isn't AWD, it's Quattro, or 4Matic isn't AWD, it's 4Matic. SH-AWD works differently than other AWD systems currently on the market, but Quattro also works differently than 4Matic, which also works differently than RealtimeAWD, which does things differently than etc. etc. Just because it does things different and better doesn't mean it's not a type of AWD.

SH-AWD is AWD (hence the name SH-AWD)
Old 05-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Doesn't the STS outsell the RL?
april 2007:

sts - 1815
RL - 658
A6 - 898
M - 1872
GS - 1887
5 - 3592
E - 4011
Old 05-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I think just posting up these sales figures, I'm sure the "fans" are thinking i'm "downing" the RL.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 AM
office monkey

I'm not a fan of Caddys. I find them to be the white trash of luxury brands and they only sell well because you have American fanboys who need to "buy American" because they're idiots.

Interesting about how it outsells the RL by so much but I don't know if one is supposed to care. Britney Spears most likley has sold more albums than Frank Sinatra...am I to then conclude she is somehow better? All sales figures in EVERY industry show is how dumb/tasteless most of the population is.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

The STS of all flavors clearly outsells the RL, but does The General break out separate numbers for the AWD variant? That would provide a more direct comparison for us. Just curious.

I disagree that Cadillac has that bad a reputation. They have made a huge comeback in style and reliability, and therefore in sales over the last few years, and for more than just the Escalade. I certainly consider them a luxury brand.

C'mon, would you turn down an STS-V?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
april 2007:

sts - 1815
RL - 658
A6 - 898
M - 1872
GS - 1887
5 - 3592
E - 4011
So the RL gives you "exclusivity" as well. I like the fact that I drive a car that is not like everybody elses. There are E Class's and 5 series all over the place in So Cal.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Race Director

Cadillac isnt to bad at all. My mom gets company cars and every two years if her sales are high enough she gets a caddy. Her last car the Deville was diffenently old and dated. The interior also didnt hold up well and on top of it all that car SCREAMED old ladys car. Well the company gave her the option of keeping her Deville a little longer and getting the 06 DTS and I have to say its a HUGE improvement. VERY nice interior and no longer that old ladys styling.

Another thing that both cars had was the ride. You could drive though the grand cayon and not even know it in either car. That Northstar V8 also has some VERY good power to go it. While on the highway you can get in the mid 20s for gas mileage. The stereo diffenenlty is great in the new car with Ipod hook up standard. As far as cadillac making the STS better I have no idea but they diffenenlty did a good job redoing the DTS.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rob L
I'm not a fan of Caddys. I find them to be the white trash of luxury brands and they only sell well because you have American fanboys who need to "buy American" because they're idiots.

Interesting about how it outsells the RL by so much but I don't know if one is supposed to care. Britney Spears most likley has sold more albums than Frank Sinatra...am I to then conclude she is somehow better? All sales figures in EVERY industry show is how dumb/tasteless most of the population is.

bad analogy...

Britney Spears and Frank Sinatra are in totally different classes and therefore don't chase the same buyers, so sales comparisons don't make sense. The STS and RL are in the same class and chase the same buyers in price range and segment., so sales comparisons make more sense. Your analogy would make more sense comparing RL sales to Honda Civic sales.

Comparing sales of like models is not an absolute indicator of which car is better (in all aspects, parts/assembly/quantitative stuff AND image/marketing/all the subjective stuff...the RL may be a better car when comparing numbers and nuts and bolts and value, but the STS is marketed better and has subjectives that are more appealing to more buyers than the RL), but it's a much better indicator than the opinions of a bunch of people on an internet forum.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Go Big Blue!

I agree Bob. Looking at Caddy's lately I found them to be much improved over those from even 5 years ago. The problem STILL is theirs not enough value. If you theoretically equiped an STS with everything an RL offers you'll find it more expensive. Add to that the statistically increased chances of more trips to the service dept, and it quickly gets crossed off the list.

Right now you still need to buy American from your heart NOT your brains. For that matter, I think most European cars require that same thing to justify purchase nowadays . If you go by raw, cold, heartless data and facts, asian is the winner every time.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I agree Bob. Looking at Caddy's lately I found them to be much improved over those from even 5 years ago. The problem STILL is theirs not enough value. If you theoretically equiped an STS with everything an RL offers you'll find it more expensive. Add to that the statistically increased chances of more trips to the service dept, and it quickly gets crossed off the list.

Right now you still need to buy American from your heart NOT your brains. For that matter, I think most European cars require that same thing to justify purchase nowadays . If you go by raw, cold, heartless data and facts, asian is the winner every time.
In this price range, I think MOST buyers are buying more with their hearts than their minds...and this is the part that Honda/Acura underestimated. The RL is trying to sell more to minds than hearts and buyers who shop Acura more with mind than heart end up buying TLs (think about it...except for the AWD system, most things better about the RL over the TL is a "heart" thing).

Besides, if you go by raw, cold heartless data and facts, Hyundai would be the winner every time.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

I agree with you here, Mike, to some extent. I think the RL is probably a better value as (and of course, this is Acura's current modus operandi) they offer everything for less money. However, I just priced a V6 STS with AWD on Cadillac's website. Of course, our OP got a much lower price with a different set of options. This one happens to be comparable to our RL. The MSRP is only about $3k higher than the RL's MSRP. Of course, you can get both at a considerable discount, so all bets are off on final pricing.

Note the V6 engine is not as powerful. The Caddy DOES comes with rain-sensing wipers and ventilated seats. Waaaaaah!

Vehicle total: $52,645.00

Included Equipment

V6 Luxury MSRP $46,825.00*
Features shown below are in addition to, or in place of, 1SA features:
Memory Package: includes two-position presets for drivers such as power driver seat; power tilt and telescoping steering wheel with easy-exit feature and radio and climate control settings; and outside mirror positions
Seats: front, bucket; include eight-way power adjusters and four-way power-adjustable lumbar support
Seats: front, bucket; include heated and ventilated feature
Seats: rear outboard, heated
Wipers: Rainsense automatic wiper system
Wood Trim Package: includes eucalyptus wood on steering wheel, shifter knob, center stack and console, instrument panel molding and door pulls
Colors

Exterior:
Light Platinum

Interior:
Ebony Nuance Leather Seating Surfaces
Additional Options
$5,640.00

Antilock brake system, 4 wheel performance disc brakes

Audio system with navigation, , AM/FM stereo with Bose 5.1 Studio Surround sound system, 6-disc in-dash CD/DVD changer and DVD-based advanced navigation, (including 2 free map updates), Bluetooth phone interface, includes seek-and-scan, digital clock, Radio Data System (RDS), TheftLock, AudioPilot automatic volume control, weather band, digital signal processing, rear passenger A/V jacks and 15 speakers

Engine, , 3.6L Variable Valve Timing V6 SFI, (255 hp [190.2 kW] @ 6500 rpm, 252 lb-ft of torque [340.2 N-m] @ 3200 rpm)

Premium paint

Sunroof, , power, tilt-sliding with express-open and sunshade
Transmission, , 5-speed automatic for AWD, electronically-controlled PTU overdrive, Hydra-Matic, 5L40-E

No accessories selected
The problem STILL is theirs not enough value. If you theoretically equiped an STS with everything an RL offers you'll find it more expensive. Add to that the statistically increased chances of more trips to the service dept, and it quickly gets crossed off the list.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Go Big Blue!

In this price range, I think MOST buyers are buying more with their hearts than their minds...and this is the part that Honda/Acura underestimated. The RL is trying to sell more to minds than hearts and buyers who shop Acura more with mind than heart end up buying TLs (think about it...except for the AWD system, most things better about the RL over the TL is a "heart" thing).

Besides, if you go by raw, cold heartless data and facts, Hyundai would be the winner every time.
This is all true. Watch out for those Koreans
Old 05-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Cruisin'

There's a good chance you can knock as much as $12k off of the price of a 2007 once the 2008 STSs come out. Once that happens, the STS w/AWD, NAV, etc...would run around $41k.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The STS of all flavors clearly outsells the RL, but does The General break out separate numbers for the AWD variant? That would provide a more direct comparison for us. Just curious.

I disagree that Cadillac has that bad a reputation. They have made a huge comeback in style and reliability, and therefore in sales over the last few years, and for more than just the Escalade. I certainly consider them a luxury brand.

C'mon, would you turn down an STS-V?
One my urology colleagues has an STS-V. Although a rocket in a straight line
he cant keep up in the twisties with the my RL, not by a long shot. The RL's handling is far superior while it doesn't it doesn't give up a lot in accelration. The RL could probably beat the STSV in a twisty track specially if it had better brakes.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That's like saying Quattro isn't AWD, it's Quattro, or 4Matic isn't AWD, it's 4Matic. SH-AWD works differently than other AWD systems currently on the market, but Quattro also works differently than 4Matic, which also works differently than RealtimeAWD, which does things differently than etc. etc. Just because it does things different and better doesn't mean it's not a type of AWD.

SH-AWD is AWD (hence the name SH-AWD)
What I got from his post is that he knows all the AWD systems work differently, but SH-AWD is even more different because it has the torque vectoring thing going on, which the others do not. At least that's what I think he meant in his post, he didn't mean that all the systems are not a type of AWD.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Go Big Blue!

Yes, I took that to be his point as well. This "4 way" torque distribution system is superior to other "2 way" systems. You could start a debate about whether it adds tangible handling improvements, but it certainly deserves to be distinguished from all other systems on the market.

Regarding the discount talks; I suppose you could get a mac daddy STS in the price range with the RL using all the heavy incentives GM is throwing at us and the dealer, but it's still only about the same in price (with that good deal). We still need to factor in the value of our time. I know someone who got an STS this year. He's been in the shop 3 times already.

That's one of the reasons I'm also taking a wait and see attitude about the Korean cars. They may have proven themselves to many but I'm still not ready to walk into one of their showrooms yet. Pound for pound they are the winner when you do the math. Maybe next time around I'll seriously give them a look.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Cruisin'

Point taken -

However, I have been in the shop four times with my Lexus since last July (20+ days). I have had a valve body replacement, a transmission replacement, and I still have the same transmission problem.

I bought the Lexus for "quality" and "customer service", but I could have bought almost any brand and been treated the same way - they are no different than most other manufacturers. I won't buy another Lexus/Toyota (ever) since they happen to be the one that not only sold me a lemon, but also treated me poorly throughout the experience.

Hondas/Acuras have problems too - I had a prior Odyssey that had two transmission replacements, but they handled it well (automatically extending the warranty), so I'm a repeat customer and seriously considering the RL.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Go Big Blue!

That's too bad about your experience with lexus. And, your right, it can happen with any car. That's why all we can really do is look at the aggregated statistics as reported by CR and others when betting on our next cars reliability.

Your experience with that Lexus dealer was bad, but, seems your odds are still the best going with Toyota (with Honda a close second). Of course, reliability varies by model also so we have to look closer at the numbers. I do remember reading recently that some Lexus models were getting poor grades on service -- might have been CR.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I my situation, the reverse is true.

I bought the TL out of passion (right brain), excitement, hype, flashy / trend setting style, and heart thumping reviews. It wore off in 18 months.

THEN I bought the RL with my mind (left brain). Better build quality, better materials, understated / conservative style (longer wearing to my tastes), flagship appeal with realistic performance, economy and value. I see an RL in my future much longer than the TL was.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
I my situation, the reverse is true.

I bought the TL out of passion (right brain), excitement, hype, flashy / trend setting style, and heart thumping reviews. It wore off in 18 months.

THEN I bought the RL with my mind (left brain). Better build quality, better materials, understated / conservative style (longer wearing to my tastes), flagship appeal with realistic performance, economy and value. I see an RL in my future much longer than the TL was.
I loved my TL just as much as my RL, there is no doubt the RL is "more" car but the reason I replaced my TL was AWD for winter and the fact that I have come to an age where I'd rather not have to row gears day in and day out (old). Otherwise the TL was more than "luxurios" enough for me. However the relative loss in "sport" has me strongly considering an S2000 for those days I'm feeling frisky!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The S2000, now there is an underappreciated and overlooked car.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by lumpulus
The S2000, now there is an underappreciated and overlooked car.
yes, talk about being incorrectly positioned in the market! I'd love to see Honda move that under the Acura brand and trim it out a bit more. It would certainly sell better with an Acura badge on it --plus-- it would help expand Acura's anemic product line. A win/win for both Honda and Acura.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by RL06tech
has me strongly considering an S2000 for those days I'm feeling frisky!
Yikes! I hope you buy the car dinner first!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

yes, talk about being incorrectly positioned in the market! I'd love to see Honda move that under the Acura brand and trim it out a bit more. It would certainly sell better with an Acura badge on it --plus-- it would help expand Acura's anemic product line. A win/win for both Honda and Acura.
I'm sure Honda's marketing department, which gets millions to do their job, would know better than you or me on how to position, market, and manage the image of the brand to be successful much better than you or me...just look how well they're doing with the RL.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Go Big Blue!

I'm sure Honda's marketing department, which gets millions to do their job, would know better than you or me on how to position, market, and manage the image of the brand to be successful much better than you or me...just look how well they're doing with the RL.
Your right. How silly of me.