Almost 1yr GS/RL Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost 1yr GS/RL Comparison

Hey guys! Remember me? Well I haven't forgotten you.. I still come by to read the forum on a regular basis (just don't say much).

WARNING this is long!

Anyway, for those who don't remember, last Oct I traded my 06 RL with 18k on the ODO for an 06 GS300 after a frustrating 'oil consumption' issue, and what I precieved as a bad customer service experience with Acura Customer Service. Way back I posted a 1 month comparison. I thought I'd give a little longer-term review. What made me decide to do this now was that I recently asked a friend who has an 06 RL to take it for a quick spin to listen to a CD I had made off itunes and "compare the stereos" ...which was code for 'I want a run down memory lane with the RL!' I'm definitely not an RL hater.. more of an "Acura Service Hater"

Anyhow.. here goes. Sorry if it's not well organized.

Nods to Acura:
1) First and foremost... the NAV and Voice commands! By far the most accurate voice recognition I've ever tested in a car. I also liked the ability to change the colors of the Nav and other screens. Input while driving is a huge plus... (I can do it on the GS, but only after a little work around hidden hack screen that takes about 5 steps to get to) Having said all that, I prefer the 'touch screen interface' on the GS. I also liked the feature on the RL that when you touch the voice command button, your HVAC lowers for a few seconds.

2) Handling... I don't think it's any surprise that the RL handles better than the GS. Fortunately I don't do a lot of spirited driving, but when I did... it was more fun in the RL. The RL had a planted feel around corners that no other car I've driven has had. (I haven't driven a lot of BMWs)

3) Engine Note... I really like the way Acura tuned the exhaust on the RL. It has a nice low rumble.

4) Active Noise Cancellation.. that was a cool feature. And when I learned how to turn it off, (yes there is a hidden 'back door' way to do it...for those who have never tried, you should...directions were found somewhere in this forum) you can really appreciate how well it works for tire and engine noise.

5) Bose Stereo...still one of the finest sound systems that I've had in a car. And better than my friends A6, 5-Series and E350. NOT better than my other friends BMW 750. Better than my GS Mark Levinson when it comes to 'surround on DVD-A...and some 'highs'. The ML blows it away when the volume button goes UP and in the LOWS. (But that's mostly the 10" sub in the Lexus...as opposed to the 8" in the RL) The sound stage in the RL is more mid chest... where the GS's seems to sit higher. I think that's because of the A-Pillar tweeters on the RL... a feature I liked)

6) Interior Nod goes to the RL. It's a sublime execution of wood...and by far the most attractive door panels I've seen... (although the new 5 series has improved them greatly) I did notice on my friends RL it's showing some plastic fade on the steering wheel buttons (that white chalky film is developing on the black buttons)

7) Seat Comfort ... it's close, but the RL has better furniture. I will say that I am liking the ventilated seats on the GS. I didn't appreciate them until summer hit.

8) Trunk room... don't use it much, but the RL has a lot easier access and room. My GS has cargo nets and a trunk pad which adds a lot of utility. (I'm sure those can be added to the RL)

9) MID display... lots of cool extra's like a TPMS that shows the pressure in each tire, not one that says, "pressure low". The SHAWD display was always fun to watch.

10) Tires. The Mich's rock on the RL. Quiet and smooth with hardly any wear at 18k when I turned it in. The GS came with Yoko summer tires which are crap...wearing fast and noisy. Can't wait to change to some touring all season tires.

11) Acura Zine... soooo much better than Club Lexus. The level of discussion here is definitely a step up. Much less talk of "How much should I lower my ride?" ..or "Check out my new Sic Rims!" Why do you think I still come here? I love cars, and I enjoy the company of others who do!

GS Nods:

1) Looks. Subjective I know... but I'm sorry, the GS with 18" sports wheels in black is just a better looking car from just about every angle. Although I still like the aggressive look of the RL from head on! I've lost track of the number of times someone has commented on my cars looks.

2) Gas Milage!!! I am averaging 26.5-28 in 50/50 mixed hwy/city driving. Took a Fwy trip over the weekend and averaged 34! I contribute that to the 6spd tranny and Direct Injection. Keep in mind I'm driving VERY conservative.

3) The transmission.. the 6 speed is flawless....quiet and smooth! One of my biggest dislikes about the RL was what I called it's 'dead spot' in the tranny. At about 1500-1800 RPM which is where the tach usually sat during 'around town' driving of 35-45mph.. the engine would 'bog down' to the point that I could feel a low freq vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel. My friends car does it too...so I know it wasn't just mine.

4) Sun roof - Small point, but the RL's wind breaker thingie would vibrate at about 60mph ..and make my rear view mirror would shake. No issues with the GS's. So more of a hit on the RL than a nod to the GS.

5) Touch screen - Even though you have better Nav, and the FOB was easy for me to work on the RL.. I still like the touch screen better.

6) Back up Cam and Parking Assist - I know you can add them, but I didn't have them on my RL...and I'm loving them on the GS.

7) Mark Levinson - I know we talked about this above...but for the music I listen to, it sounds fantastic. The RL definitely needs a 10" sub to boost the lows. And the ML's 14 speakers make you appreciate the sound from every seat. I have sat in the backseat to listen to music, and it sounds as good as it does in the front.

8) Push button start - Small point, but I prefer it to the twistie nob on the RL.

9) AFS Lighting - The GS has auto-leveling and horizontal motion. It's also speed sensitive on the GS. So at driveway speed they don't move...and at faster speeds they seem to be move quicker in response to steering wheel input than my RL did.

10) Creaks and Rattles - I've had problems with BOTH cars... but I will say that Lexus service did a better job of resolving the issues. My car is quiet now. The RL had a 'weak weld point' in the B-Pillar next to my ear that drove me insane. I could quiet it but only temporarily. I remember driving it down to Atlanta to trade it on the GS...and hearing it creaking in my left ear and thinking, "God I'm not going to miss that!!!"

11) Lexus Service - Although my Acura dealer wasn't bad.. and it varies from place to place. Lexus of Knoxville has been great.

12) The Badge... I'll take the hit for vanity. I just enjoy seeing the big L staring at me when I walk out to her in the parking lot. I hasn't gotten me laid or anything... but who know's I've only had it 1yr! (I hope my wife doens't read this forum)

13) NO OIL CONSUMPTION! Just did my second oil change...and not using a drop. ARE YOU LISTENING ACURA! Lexus can build an engine that gets better gas milage and doesn't burn oi!!! Sorry guys... had to vent just one last time!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Nice to see you again, NDoc. Always enjoy a good comparision. I am a car fanatic and I love to talk cars. Accurazine is the second best forum from my experience, having to deal with 3 of them. Miatia.net is the best there is bar none. Its a cult family over there. Most of what you said is what I experienced with the Lexus. The Rl raises the bar very high and makes it hard to switch brands. The RL is not perfect but close. It does everything well, whereas other makes do one or two things well. You will not find a better handling car then the BMW(exception is my Modified Miata) I thought the RL has better sound system then the ML in the Lexus but I must admit, I never turned it up very loud. I always thought the RL had one of the best sound system, until I head the Lexicon in the new Hyundai Genesis. That is now the new kind in OEM sound systems. I have never heard better to this point. Sorry about your oil burning problem, I would have been just as upset as you. Our RL is rock solid in that department. I don't even bother checking the oil anymore. The level just never changes. I Like the Lexus brand, and if they ever getting around to making something with a nice AWD sporty suspension, I might have another look. I checked out the AWD 250 but just not enough ponies under the hood for me.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Instructor

dwest1023... funny you should reply to my post, I JUST finished reading your post about the Genesis. Looks like it got shut down because of people arguing. I guess I'm like TxMike in that I've switched to Lexus, but still enjoy y'alls company. Good write up on the Genesis. I definitely want to go check one out on the lot one of these days. I hope they don't suffer the fate of the VW Phaeton. I think the competition is good from a young upstart.,, it'll keep the Japanese and Germans from getting complacent. I'm rooting for Hyundai... Lets see if they can do what Infinity and Lexus have done. The only suggestion I would have made to them, was to make Genesis the brand... not the name... like Honda did with Acura. They would probably have more success if they didn't have to fight the 'old' reputation of Hyundai. It's built into the public's psyche that Hyundai = Crap.... kind of like K-Mart = Crap. No matter what changes they make, it's hard to overcome that perception.

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Nice to see you again, NDoc. Always enjoy a good comparision. I am a car fanatic and I love to talk cars. Accurazine is the second best forum from my experience, having to deal with 3 of them. Miatia.net is the best there is bar none. Its a cult family over there. Most of what you said is what I experienced with the Lexus. The Rl raises the bar very high and makes it hard to switch brands. The RL is not perfect but close. It does everything well, whereas other makes do one or two things well. You will not find a better handling car then the BMW(exception is my Modified Miata) I thought the RL has better sound system then the ML in the Lexus but I must admit, I never turned it up very loud. I always thought the RL had one of the best sound system, until I head the Lexicon in the new Hyundai Genesis. That is now the new kind in OEM sound systems. I have never heard better to this point. Sorry about your oil burning problem, I would have been just as upset as you. Our RL is rock solid in that department. I don't even bother checking the oil anymore. The level just never changes. I Like the Lexus brand, and if they ever getting around to making something with a nice AWD sporty suspension, I might have another look. I checked out the AWD 250 but just not enough ponies under the hood for me.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the review Navy. Glad to see you're still lurking. You should come out of the shadows more often. We still love you eventhough you abandoned us

Actually, I'm toying with getting my baby a new car soon before she goes to College next year. Wasn't too happy with the 09 TSX and was thinking about the IS250 because of the extra features it offered. But now the new 09 TL has my attention. Bigger and safer (I suppose) with SHAWD and keyless start. Price will be the deciding factor. Anyway, good chance I might become a split family again soon. If I do, it will be a Lexus like you. Still shake my head when I walk into a BMW dealership and look at those prices for what you get.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Thanks for the review Navy. Glad to see you're still lurking. You should come out of the shadows more often. We still love you eventhough you abandoned us

Actually, I'm toying with getting my baby a new car soon before she goes to College next year. Wasn't too happy with the 09 TSX and was thinking about the IS250 because of the extra features it offered. But now the new 09 TL has my attention. Bigger and safer (I suppose) with SHAWD and keyless start. Price will be the deciding factor. Anyway, good chance I might become a split family again soon. If I do, it will be a Lexus like you. Still shake my head when I walk into a BMW dealership and look at those prices for what you get.

I agree. "For what you get" is the key to that statement. I have noticed a couple of "high end" used car lots around here have a lot of BMW 3's for sale. You can usually pick them up at quite a discount, but usually no Nav..etc. They are pretty though!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys......being a previous Gs300 owner(traded it in). I was also recently in the market in buying an RL, but i abruptly got a call from a Mercedes dealer, on an E-class lease that i COULDNT pass up on. I have to say, after having driven the Gs300 for 40k miles....the Rl on a few test drives...and currently about 500 miles on the mercedes. They are all different cars...that cater to different tastes. I absolutely loveddd the plush ride on my GS300, very smooth. But im 25yrs old, and I felt i needed a lil zip to my car. But somehow i seem to have taste for cars with an "older men market". I absolutely loved the RL, I STILL think its the best bargain in this segment, so many features on it. On the other hand, my mercedes benz is rock solid....i love how it drives. I felt its interior is designed so precisely and neatly. Tho mercedes really nikle/dimes you for every damn option, but I guess they earned that right? tho i think those days are numbered. The problem I had with my lexus gs300 is...i know this sounds terrible...but I felt like i was paying toyota a ridic amount of money for a souped up camry. I know they are nothing the same, but i guess that "snob appeal" is there for the mercedes. They do build the on its own chassy, and i dunno...like i said felt like I was in an elite car. Dont take it the wrong way guys, I can't knock the lexus or Acura anyday, id take them anyday. In the end i could say...Lexus/Acura are for car guys not looking for snob appeal per se...
Old 07-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by vinodc
Hey guys......being a previous Gs300 owner(traded it in). I was also recently in the market in buying an RL, but i abruptly got a call from a Mercedes dealer, on an E-class lease that i COULDNT pass up on. I have to say, after having driven the Gs300 for 40k miles....the Rl on a few test drives...and currently about 500 miles on the mercedes. They are all different cars...that cater to different tastes. I absolutely loveddd the plush ride on my GS300, very smooth. But im 25yrs old, and I felt i needed a lil zip to my car. But somehow i seem to have taste for cars with an "older men market". I absolutely loved the RL, I STILL think its the best bargain in this segment, so many features on it. On the other hand, my mercedes benz is rock solid....i love how it drives. I felt its interior is designed so precisely and neatly. Tho mercedes really nikle/dimes you for every damn option, but I guess they earned that right? tho i think those days are numbered. The problem I had with my lexus gs300 is...i know this sounds terrible...but I felt like i was paying toyota a ridic amount of money for a souped up camry. I know they are nothing the same, but i guess that "snob appeal" is there for the mercedes. They do build the on its own chassy, and i dunno...like i said felt like I was in an elite car. Dont take it the wrong way guys, I can't knock the lexus or Acura anyday, id take them anyday. In the end i could say...Lexus/Acura are for car guys not looking for snob appeal per se...
Thanks. I was a little down today, but I feel much better now.

That reminds me, I forgot to take my Centrum Silver this morning
Old 07-12-2008, 05:37 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

mikey...at the touch of Lexus performance driving academy I got several chances to drive the if-250 & 350. These are real fun to drive cars. nimble and pull through turns. You may want to give your daughter the RL and treat yourself to an IS-F....one hot car.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
mikey...at the touch of Lexus performance driving academy I got several chances to drive the if-250 & 350. These are real fun to drive cars. nimble and pull through turns. You may want to give your daughter the RL and treat yourself to an IS-F....one hot car.
Hmm, there's a thought

Actually I've got my eye on the upcoming NSX in '10. I'll be closing in on 50 and think I can claim "mid life crisis" to my wife. That's the plan anyway. We'll see if that one flies.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey

Sounds like you're enjoying the GS. Rock on! Excellent review.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:40 PM
office monkey

I am a big Lexus fan and have had numerous posts here stating how pro Lexus I am when Acura/honda fans trash them and I got to spend two days driving a GS300AWD last year. It was nice but I have got to say it is my least favourite Lexus model. For me, aside from the 6 speed auto it basically had nothing that appealed to me more than the RL and that includes looks. As stated, they are subjective and to me the GS exterior is fugly and the interior is mediocre looking as well. I love the IS, LS and ES exterior but the GS just seems out of place and IMO is clear they took the GS design and tweaked it (again for the better) on those 3 models.

It is a nice car but there is no way I'd take it over the RL and if the RL didn't exist and I was looking to get a Lexus (which I would) I'd either grab an IS or find a way to get the LS.

As for MBs, I'll take an "upgraded honda/toyota" any day over those things. I see zero appeal with MB other than some lame brand prestige thing that I do not need since I'm confident enough in myself not to need my car to say something about me/my job and financial standing/my lifestyle to people. I have a friend who has either a 99 or 2000 C class and the thing is a POS.

But hey, to each their own. This is why all these cars exist.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rob L
... I do not need since I'm confident enough in myself not to need my car to say something about me/my job and financial standing/my lifestyle to people.
heh, talk about been snoby and stereotypes

Just FYI
when I did shopping base/non-navi RL 36month lease was more then $100 more per month then well equipped E350 lease for 24 month!
It is just personal choice.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 AM
unofficial HONDA rep

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
Hey guys! Remember me? Well I haven't forgotten you.. I still come by to read the forum on a regular basis (just don't say much).

WARNING this is long!

Anyway, for those who don't remember, last Oct I traded my 06 RL with 18k on the ODO for an 06 GS300 after a frustrating 'oil consumption' issue, and what I precieved as a bad customer service experience with Acura Customer Service. Way back I posted a 1 month comparison. I thought I'd give a little longer-term review. What made me decide to do this now was that I recently asked a friend who has an 06 RL to take it for a quick spin to listen to a CD I had made off itunes and "compare the stereos" ...which was code for 'I want a run down memory lane with the RL!' I'm definitely not an RL hater.. more of an "Acura Service Hater"

Anyhow.. here goes. Sorry if it's not well organized.

Nods to Acura:
1) First and foremost... the NAV and Voice commands! By far the most accurate voice recognition I've ever tested in a car. I also liked the ability to change the colors of the Nav and other screens. Input while driving is a huge plus... (I can do it on the GS, but only after a little work around hidden hack screen that takes about 5 steps to get to) Having said all that, I prefer the 'touch screen interface' on the GS. I also liked the feature on the RL that when you touch the voice command button, your HVAC lowers for a few seconds.

2) Handling... I don't think it's any surprise that the RL handles better than the GS. Fortunately I don't do a lot of spirited driving, but when I did... it was more fun in the RL. The RL had a planted feel around corners that no other car I've driven has had. (I haven't driven a lot of BMWs)

3) Engine Note... I really like the way Acura tuned the exhaust on the RL. It has a nice low rumble.

4) Active Noise Cancellation.. that was a cool feature. And when I learned how to turn it off, (yes there is a hidden 'back door' way to do it...for those who have never tried, you should...directions were found somewhere in this forum) you can really appreciate how well it works for tire and engine noise.

5) Bose Stereo...still one of the finest sound systems that I've had in a car. And better than my friends A6, 5-Series and E350. NOT better than my other friends BMW 750. Better than my GS Mark Levinson when it comes to 'surround on DVD-A...and some 'highs'. The ML blows it away when the volume button goes UP and in the LOWS. (But that's mostly the 10" sub in the Lexus...as opposed to the 8" in the RL) The sound stage in the RL is more mid chest... where the GS's seems to sit higher. I think that's because of the A-Pillar tweeters on the RL... a feature I liked)

6) Interior Nod goes to the RL. It's a sublime execution of wood...and by far the most attractive door panels I've seen... (although the new 5 series has improved them greatly) I did notice on my friends RL it's showing some plastic fade on the steering wheel buttons (that white chalky film is developing on the black buttons)

7) Seat Comfort ... it's close, but the RL has better furniture. I will say that I am liking the ventilated seats on the GS. I didn't appreciate them until summer hit.

8) Trunk room... don't use it much, but the RL has a lot easier access and room. My GS has cargo nets and a trunk pad which adds a lot of utility. (I'm sure those can be added to the RL)

9) MID display... lots of cool extra's like a TPMS that shows the pressure in each tire, not one that says, "pressure low". The SHAWD display was always fun to watch.

10) Tires. The Mich's rock on the RL. Quiet and smooth with hardly any wear at 18k when I turned it in. The GS came with Yoko summer tires which are crap...wearing fast and noisy. Can't wait to change to some touring all season tires.

11) Acura Zine... soooo much better than Club Lexus. The level of discussion here is definitely a step up. Much less talk of "How much should I lower my ride?" ..or "Check out my new Sic Rims!" Why do you think I still come here? I love cars, and I enjoy the company of others who do!

GS Nods:

1) Looks. Subjective I know... but I'm sorry, the GS with 18" sports wheels in black is just a better looking car from just about every angle. Although I still like the aggressive look of the RL from head on! I've lost track of the number of times someone has commented on my cars looks.

2) Gas Milage!!! I am averaging 26.5-28 in 50/50 mixed hwy/city driving. Took a Fwy trip over the weekend and averaged 34! I contribute that to the 6spd tranny and Direct Injection. Keep in mind I'm driving VERY conservative.

3) The transmission.. the 6 speed is flawless....quiet and smooth! One of my biggest dislikes about the RL was what I called it's 'dead spot' in the tranny. At about 1500-1800 RPM which is where the tach usually sat during 'around town' driving of 35-45mph.. the engine would 'bog down' to the point that I could feel a low freq vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel. My friends car does it too...so I know it wasn't just mine.

4) Sun roof - Small point, but the RL's wind breaker thingie would vibrate at about 60mph ..and make my rear view mirror would shake. No issues with the GS's. So more of a hit on the RL than a nod to the GS.

5) Touch screen - Even though you have better Nav, and the FOB was easy for me to work on the RL.. I still like the touch screen better.

6) Back up Cam and Parking Assist - I know you can add them, but I didn't have them on my RL...and I'm loving them on the GS.

7) Mark Levinson - I know we talked about this above...but for the music I listen to, it sounds fantastic. The RL definitely needs a 10" sub to boost the lows. And the ML's 14 speakers make you appreciate the sound from every seat. I have sat in the backseat to listen to music, and it sounds as good as it does in the front.

8) Push button start - Small point, but I prefer it to the twistie nob on the RL.

9) AFS Lighting - The GS has auto-leveling and horizontal motion. It's also speed sensitive on the GS. So at driveway speed they don't move...and at faster speeds they seem to be move quicker in response to steering wheel input than my RL did.

10) Creaks and Rattles - I've had problems with BOTH cars... but I will say that Lexus service did a better job of resolving the issues. My car is quiet now. The RL had a 'weak weld point' in the B-Pillar next to my ear that drove me insane. I could quiet it but only temporarily. I remember driving it down to Atlanta to trade it on the GS...and hearing it creaking in my left ear and thinking, "God I'm not going to miss that!!!"

11) Lexus Service - Although my Acura dealer wasn't bad.. and it varies from place to place. Lexus of Knoxville has been great.

12) The Badge... I'll take the hit for vanity. I just enjoy seeing the big L staring at me when I walk out to her in the parking lot. I hasn't gotten me laid or anything... but who know's I've only had it 1yr! (I hope my wife doens't read this forum)

13) NO OIL CONSUMPTION! Just did my second oil change...and not using a drop. ARE YOU LISTENING ACURA! Lexus can build an engine that gets better gas milage and doesn't burn oi!!! Sorry guys... had to vent just one last time!

just a minor update the rl, has a 9'' sub not 8'' not that it makes a big difference