Help! Acura Totaled, need a (used) replacement! :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Help! Acura Totaled, need a (used) replacement! :(

My precious TL was hit head on ...and now its a goner! And I had just finished paying it off last month!
(https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...re-she-882546/)

Anyway, I need to get a car soon and as much as I loved the TL, my persistent lower back pain would appreciate an RDX more. Just a lot easier to get in and out.

I was looking locally (St Louis) and did not find many options for a used RDX without many miles. No surprises, its a small market. Came across this one in Chicago and while its not certified, the price and CarFax looked good (link).

So my question is, is it worth the saving to not go with CPO?
One more question - is it worth waiting to see what kind of lease returns may come into inventory around Christmas or just go with something like this (that meets my requirements)?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:05 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Should have posted this in the RDX section, not the RLX section.

:ibthemove:

You can get a brand new out-going 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L w/AWD for the same price or less
Old 11-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Advanced

I am so sorry, I meant to post this under the RDX section! Is there some way I can move this?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Thread moved.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:00 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i got a lease returned but it wasnt a CPO. i could have bartered for a better deal but its still a good vehicle with a carfax showing records of oil changes and necessary maintenance
Old 11-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 212 Posts
The RDX you listed was a near-equivalent of the one I turned in - 2015 AWD Tech with around 25K miles. Dealer paid off the lease of about $26K (value of car) and sold the car as a CPO for around $30K. So the price they're asking is very good, even without the CPO. The CARFAX looks clean, although it doesn't list the airbag recall being done, and it would concern me that it's been available since July for sale (asking why it's been there so long). If you enjoy a trip across the length of IL to check it out, go for it. But I'd definitely go thru it and do a thorough test drive before I signed anything. You can buy an aftermarket warranty - or even an Acura extended warranty (since it's still under the new car warranty) and still get it cheaper than the CPO they sold here in NH....
Old 11-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by andysinnh
The RDX you listed was a near-equivalent of the one I turned in - 2015 AWD Tech with around 25K miles. Dealer paid off the lease of about $26K (value of car) and sold the car as a CPO for around $30K. So the price they're asking is very good, even without the CPO. The CARFAX looks clean, although it doesn't list the airbag recall being done, and it would concern me that it's been available since July for sale (asking why it's been there so long). If you enjoy a trip across the length of IL to check it out, go for it. But I'd definitely go thru it and do a thorough test drive before I signed anything. You can buy an aftermarket warranty - or even an Acura extended warranty (since it's still under the new car warranty) and still get it cheaper than the CPO they sold here in NH....
Thanks. I appreciate the input, I was thinking the same that I would go and be convinced 100% thru a test drive before I pull the plug.

And I asked about the number of days this has been sitting on the lot and the agent told me that it was because it was priced higher until 2 weeks ago and they just lowered it, its not a CPO, they are a Honda dealership so if this would not sell before the end of month, they would move it to their Acura dealership and certify it before offering it for sale.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
That's a pretty boring drive if I recall. Windmills, windmills and more windmills. At least traffic won't be a problem for most of the journey. I would ask them to email better photos before you make the trip. People tend to "park-by-feel" there, so door dings, curbed wheels and bumper scuffs are as common as cockroaches in Chicago. If that's where it's lived its life, it could look far worse than you think possible. You can't see much on the exterior except dirt, but it looks like the interior is a little beyond "gently used". Maybe they've already cleaned it up, but I'm baffled why they didn't do that before they took the photos. And it seems to me if it would qualify as a CPO, they would have already done it. It could be a good value, but proceed with caution. Sorry about your TL btw.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HotRodW
That's a pretty boring drive if I recall. Windmills, windmills and more windmills. At least traffic won't be a problem for most of the journey. I would ask them to email better photos before you make the trip. People tend to "park-by-feel" there, so door dings, curbed wheels and bumper scuffs are as common as cockroaches in Chicago. If that's where it's lived its life, it could look far worse than you think possible. You can't see much on the exterior except dirt, but it looks like the interior is a little beyond "gently used". Maybe they've already cleaned it up, but I'm baffled why they didn't do that before they took the photos. And it seems to me if it would qualify as a CPO, they would have already done it. It could be a good value, but proceed with caution. Sorry about your TL btw.

the dealer did say there were few "minor dings" if I were to look closely! There must be a reason this is priced the way it is. The dealer also has a notorious reputation despite being among the largest in Chicago...I am wondering now if I should make the trek up there now
Old 11-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bugsnest
The dealer also has a notorious reputation despite being among the largest in Chicago...I am wondering now if I should make the trek up there now
I think you answered your own question. I don't know anything about this dealer but if their rep isn't good why take a chance? What are you going to do if you find some major problem after you get home? That's a long drive back and forth. Also, keep in mind that any car based in Chicago takes a lot of wear and tear beating regardless of low miles.