2017 RDX fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 RDX fog lights

Anyone with a base or tech package add fog lights? I HATE not having them. Have never owned a car without fogs. Don't want to spend $700+ at dealer. Haven't found any options by searching myself.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
You could buy online and install yourself. That will save a couple of hundred. The OEM fogs on the Advance are not LED - very sad the accessory version is better than the one they put in OEM on the "top of the line" version.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
that's why I got the Advance package, as the fog lights alone would cost close to $1000 to add to one with the base or tech package.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
You could buy online and install yourself. That will save a couple of hundred. The OEM fogs on the Advance are not LED - very sad the accessory version is better than the one they put in OEM on the "top of the line" version.
I know...you'd think they'd include them on the top of the line model. I'd also think they'd include regular fog lights at least on the Tech like they used to. They really should be included on all trim levels, like nearly every other car company.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by matman1215
I know...you'd think they'd include them on the top of the line model. I'd also think they'd include regular fog lights at least on the Tech like they used to. They really should be included on all trim levels, like nearly every other car company.
I agree. Rmoving the fogs seems like a really stupid place to cut corners. I used to never ever use fogs and didn't care for them. Then I started liking them only for looks. Now I love them and won't buy a car without them. They do wonders for visibility in rain, fog, and especially snow.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I agree. Rmoving the fogs seems like a really stupid place to cut corners. I used to never ever use fogs and didn't care for them. Then I started liking them only for looks. Now I love them and won't buy a car without them. They do wonders for visibility in rain, fog, and especially snow.
Really? I found most OEM ones barely make a difference in any weather :/ Seemed to be more of a cosmetic thing than anything else...
Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by CTNYC
Really? I found most OEM ones barely make a difference in any weather :/ Seemed to be more of a cosmetic thing than anything else...
BINGO - and this is why manufacturers tend to drop them as standard features in those countries where they are not mandated. A properly designed fog light will only help at times of extremely low visibility and at low speeds. Germany only allows their use at speeds up to 30mph and when visibility is under 50 meters - so pea soup.

Most people don't understand that fog lights aren't intended to increase their range of vision - just to illuminate the dark area between your car and your headlights as well as the side of the road. Once that area is lit up, your distance vision has deteriorated - hence the prohibition against using them at higher speeds.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:35 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
If the fogs aren't offered as original equipment, then would they come with all the necessary wiring/ switches/ SAM programming (in case there is one)?
The other option for the OP is to go for aftermarket LED fogs (Morimoto offers one for less than $200 a pair (Type S) which is virtually plug and play) and as far as I know it is identical to the OEM fogs in looks and performance; but again it will work only for those cars which already have fog lights.

Last edited by Comfy; 07-27-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,712 Likes on 6,719 Posts
HATE not having them. Have never owned a car without fogs.
Why'd you buy this car then?
Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Why'd you buy this car then?
Very appropriate question, given that there is a model which includes them.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dirleton
Very appropriate question, given that there is a model which includes them.
I get paid to ask the right questions
Old 07-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Can't you just add them on as an accessory? Dafuq is this even a thread?

dont want to pay $700 for fogs? You also didnt want to pay more for a trim that came with them. Nothing is free. Pay up, sucka!

and maybe it's just, but I have a sneaking suspicion I can get OEM fog lights done for MUCH cheaper than $700. I ain't spoon feeding here, though.

Last edited by TacoBello; 07-27-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Can't you just add them on as an accessory? Dafuq is this even a thread?
Wants them, but doesn't want to pay moneys for them
Old 07-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Cheap alternative provided
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (08-16-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Well I have had good fogs on my vehicles, so they worked for me. The ones on my 1G RDX were HUGE with good light spread just in front and to the sides, but the rdx's normal headlights are ridiculous (good).

Originally Posted by ceb
BINGO - and this is why manufacturers tend to drop them as standard features in those countries where they are not mandated. A properly designed fog light will only help at times of extremely low visibility and at low speeds. Germany only allows their use at speeds up to 30mph and when visibility is under 50 meters - so pea soup.

Most people don't understand that fog lights aren't intended to increase their range of vision - just to illuminate the dark area between your car and your headlights as well as the side of the road. Once that area is lit up, your distance vision has deteriorated - hence the prohibition against using them at higher speeds.
Well granted in the situations where I found them useful, I would be going slower. They would help when it was blizzard like conditions (which are not uncommon for where I live 9 months of the year). Or heavy showers.

I use them exactly for that purpose, to illuminate the area just in front of my vehicle. Which is why I don't understand people who put HID's in their fogs and cause excessive glare.

I am aware that fogs are not some miracle feature that will change the laws of physics. I just feel that when they are used in the appropriate circumstances, they make a very noticeable difference.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by thoiboi

Cheap alternative provided
Old 07-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Team Owner

Let's be honest... They're for cosmetic purposes only, 99.999999999% of the time.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Let's be honest... They're for cosmetic purposes only, 99.999999999% of the time.
If you use them for that purpose, then yes.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Don't. Don't even. I've had fog lights on everyone of my cars over the last decade, save for my current TL, and I can count on one hand how many times I've actually needed them. And even that was a stretch, because I would've got by just fine without them.

this also includes having a work truck for two years and driving to every butt hole nook and cranny of this province, along some fucked up roads, and still... Not exactly needed.

they light the road directly in front of the vehicle, and to the sides. On the highway, they're useless because by the time they illuminate whatever it is, you're already driving over it. Same with the Side illumination... Due to DOT standards, they can't spread light too far out because you'd be blinding on coming traffic, so again, pretty useless.

if you're driving around the outback and have rally style fogs, then sure... But these little dipshit bulbs placed into bumpers do fuck all besides look good.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:47 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Well I have had good fogs on my vehicles, so they worked for me. The ones on my 1G RDX were HUGE with good light spread just in front and to the sides, but the rdx's normal headlights are ridiculous (good).

Well granted in the situations where I found them useful, I would be going slower. They would help when it was blizzard like conditions (which are not uncommon for where I live 9 months of the year). Or heavy showers.

I use them exactly for that purpose, to illuminate the area just in front of my vehicle. Which is why I don't understand people who put HID's in their fogs and cause excessive glare.

I am aware that fogs are not some miracle feature that will change the laws of physics. I just feel that when they are used in the appropriate circumstances, they make a very noticeable difference.
That's for setting me up to get on my soap box.

>>ceb climbs on his soapbox<<

At times, I feel like I'm the only person that understands lighting (except for the guy who stuck that flashlight in his broken headlighting unit - projector beam and all.)

The eye is always drawn to the brightest light. We can't help but look at that oncoming headlight - especially in the rain. Accordingly, manufacturers design lights to provide a dark area directly in front of the car. That draws your attention farther forward so you'll look into the distance and hopefully don't out drive your headlights. While whiter light looks brighter, reality is that 4300k - 5000k color temps work best for the brain - the reason why many cars have HId low beams but halogen highs - and the reason why most LEDs do poorly in tests.

When driving slower in inclement weather, you'll want to light up that area right in front of your car, hence the design of fogs.

Here is an easy test. The next time you drive on a clear night for some distance (call it an hour or so) on an unlit highway, do the first half with your fogs on. Turn your fogs and stop for a cup of coffee, sandwich, soda or whatever, but take a break of more than 5 minutes or so. Now drive the rest of the way with your fogs off. Notice how your headlights seem to give you more distance and your eyes don't feel so tired? The headlights didn't get more range while you were stopped, but your brain doesn't have to battle the bright spots in front of your car so the drive is more relaxed.

<<ceb gets off his soapbox, trips and bloodies his nose>>

Old 07-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ceb
At times, I feel like I'm the only person that understands lighting (except for the guy who stuck that flashlight in his broken headlighting unit - projector beam and all.)

He's talking about me

Foreground light is the term that is used for fog lights

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Last edited by thoiboi; 07-27-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Most cars won't even allow you to have your fogs and low beams on at the same time. It's either one or the other, unless you play around in the fuse box (generally, very easily done)
Old 07-27-2016, 02:55 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Most cars won't even allow you to have your fogs and low beams on at the same time. It's either one or the other, unless you play around in the fuse box (generally, very easily done)
Nope. It is perfectly legal to have fogs and lows. I know of no car where you can have fogs on without the lows.

You CANNOT have high beams on with fogs.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Team Owner

no you're right, I fucked that up. My bad.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:06 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

no you're right, I fucked that up. My bad.
One of the guys in the office wired the switch to have his highbeams and fogs work at the same time. During the next downpour he complainted bitterly about what crap his fogs were as all they did was produce immense amounts of glare - not realizing that it was the highs that caused the issue.

One reason that fogs are so low down is because fog usually forms a bit above ground level, so the fogs will have better range lower. Highs, OTOH, will just reflect right back into your eyes - one reason that FMVSS 108 prohibits any other light (other than parking or sidemarker) from being on with high beams.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Guys, I am not saying I am 100% correct and you are all wrong. I am saying perception wise, I feel that the fogs help. This could all just be a trick of the eye, sort of like when people put 6000k HID's and say they let you see better than 4300k when lumens drop significantly after about 4300k and really your vision is best at 4300k. Whiter light does not equal better vision distance wise.

I can admit that fogs offer a lot of visual appeal, and that I could get by without them. I still feel that they are useful, however I am fully aware that I can get by without them.

Just by personal preference, I prefer to have them. I have never used fogs on the highway, I have never been in a situation that warranted them. So yes I admit that I am wrong for the vast majority of cases where fogs are used, and that it could all be perception.

Now I shall walk out of the villiage square and try to salvage what dignity I still posses, if any. Oh and sidenote, I think LED headlights are complete bullshit and made only for marketing purposes.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:21 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Guys, I am not saying I am 100% correct and you are all wrong. I am saying perception wise, I feel that the fogs help. This could all just be a trick of the eye, sort of like when people put 6000k HID's and say they let you see better than 4300k when lumens drop significantly after about 4300k and really your vision is best at 4300k. Whiter light does not equal better vision distance wise.

I can admit that fogs offer a lot of visual appeal, and that I could get by without them. I still feel that they are useful, however I am fully aware that I can get by without them.

Just by personal preference, I prefer to have them. I have never used fogs on the highway, I have never been in a situation that warranted them. So yes I admit that I am wrong for the vast majority of cases where fogs are used, and that it could all be perception.

Now I shall walk out of the villiage square and try to salvage what dignity I still posses, if any. Oh and sidenote, I think LED headlights are complete bullshit and made only for marketing purposes.
RDX, we aren't disagreeing with you.

But yes, it is a trick your eyes are playing on you because we think that more light is always better. When I get a new car I try out the fogs and it always seems "better" - until I turn them off and drive for awhile.

While not light specific, NatGeo (and on Netflix) has a series called Brain Games that talks about how our brains are constantly tricked. Interesting show
Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
RDX, we aren't disagreeing with you.

But yes, it is a trick your eyes are playing on you because we think that more light is always better. When I get a new car I try out the fogs and it always seems "better" - until I turn them off and drive for awhile.

While not light specific, NatGeo (and on Netflix) has a series called Brain Games that talks about how our brains are constantly tricked. Interesting show
Hey I am not too proud to admit when I may be wrong. I joined a forum so that I can learn more about cars. I learn new things daily here. When I first got into cars 2 years ago, I had ZERO clue what a differential was, was a transmissiom was, how a fwd vs awd vs rwd car worked...etc. I learned so much from forums.

I think I seen that show, they also discussed how a lot of magic tricks worked iirc.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Pro

Big pet peeve of mine is folks who drive with fogs on at all times. As already said, they don't help on clear days. That is why they are called "fog lights".
Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
In the 2007-12 RDX, fog lights were standard in all trim levels. Damn Acura...
Old 07-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have them on my 2 vehicles and have had them on many Acura's. They are useless as far as I am concerned and when you have to safety the car when selling they are sometimes broken by stones and it is about $300 a pop. What a PIA.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Hey I am not too proud to admit when I may be wrong. I joined a forum so that I can learn more about cars. I learn new things daily here. When I first got into cars 2 years ago, I had ZERO clue what a differential was, was a transmissiom was, how a fwd vs awd vs rwd car worked...etc. I learned so much from forums.

I think I seen that show, they also discussed how a lot of magic tricks worked iirc.
Right. The first one showed the illusion with the two cards - one gray, the other white - when in fact they were both gray.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:35 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I switched the standard fogs for Morimotos soon after we got the vehicle. It is true that we seldom use them. But, at least they match the headlights and look good when they're on. I hear that Morimoto has changed their design. Doesn't sound good, but don't really know the details. The version I bought in December was a pretty easy plug & play. Some have posted that it's a 20 to 30 minute job. It was a lot longer for me. But, I took my time so I didn't screw anything up. I would be hard pressed to pay the $450+ that Acura wants for the LED fogs. But, for $170 it was an easy decision.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Interesting discussion. I was peeved that I bought a '16 RDX Advance with all the nice LED front lighting...and then found it had incandescent fog lights...and that Honda would handily charge you $675 for LEDs if you wanted to spring for that. Granted, the kit includes the steering column switch, wiring and all, but you don't need that. They don't seem to understand that "Acura" is supposed to be a cut above "Honda", apparently, and cheaped out on this one. Anyway, I replaced the stock lights with Morimotos a couple of weeks ago. They're not plug and play anymore, but close to it. They bolt right in, a connector needs to be pinned (correctly, or they don't work), and you're done. The Morimotos throw a more controlled beam that doesn't appear to be as bright at first - until you realize they're not spraying light all over the place. They do a good job filling in the near field area and cornering area in a nice color that matches the headlights.

Fog lights work with the low beams. In the RDX, they only illuminate with headlights on and in the low beam position. If you're in conditions to use high beams, visibility is good enough you don't need fog lights. Actually, in some cases it would be best if you could turn the fog lights on and the headlights off. The fogs are placed low with a flat-topped beam to minimize backscatter. Headlights are closer to being on-axis, reflected more light off of the water vapor and aren't as effective. High beams are even worse.

And then there are those guys and gals who drive around with 'em on all the time, either because they don't know what they're doing or because they think they look cool, generally annoying oncoming traffic because they're too bright. I don't know about the RDX, but some pickups have fogs that are a lot brighter than the low beam headlights are.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:47 PM
Pro

And then there are the rest of the dim interior incandescent lights. Why couldn't Acura spent the extra $20 to give the entire car the LED treatment? It sucks to spend over 40K on a "premium" SUV and have to turn around and replace parts that should have been included from the factory.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

And then there are the rest of the dim interior incandescent lights. Why couldn't Acura spent the extra $20 to give the entire car the LED treatment? It sucks to spend over 40K on a "premium" SUV and have to turn around and replace parts that should have been included from the factory.
Manufacturers look for savings - any savings. If they can save a dime per car then that will add up to large amounts for the amount of cars built.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:51 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by ceb
Manufacturers look for savings - any savings. If they can save a dime per car then that will add up to large amounts for the amount of cars built.
But it's an Acura...not a Honda.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Touring

That, along with the incandescent tail lights, escapes me, too. I replaced all of the interior lights with LEDs except for the reading/map lights. I couldn't figure out how to get those out. There's some wonky diffuser lens over them that doesn't seem to be easily removable. Those may very well be LEDs already, although they don't look like it through the yellowish plastic cover.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jcross1231
But it's an Acura...not a Honda.
Exactly. They spent a lot of $$$ redesigning the headlights and tail lights, but then skimp on parts that can just be swapped on the cheap like the interior lights? Illogical.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Touring

Still love the vehicle. There are just a lot of little things like this that are issues. They're usually better at attention to detail.