U-Haul Hitch Install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U-Haul Hitch Install?

Anyone have a hitch and wiring harness installed at U-Haul? They seem to be the lower out the door price and in my area. Dealer price is outrageous. Just wondering what it looks like, pictures anyone? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my local Uhaul install a Curt class III hitch and the wiring harness. He ordered it thru etrailer since I said I was going to order it from there and have them install it. He didn't mark it up, it was still about $160 plus $40 to install. He ordered the wiring also and just basically plugged it in on the left side of the trunk. Whenever I want to to tow something, I open up the wire access and pull the wiring out and clamp it shut with the tail gate. Total labor was under $80 and you could probably do it yourself if you have a helper.

I think the Curt is much easier to install than the hidden hitch. I happily paid $80 because now I have someone to blame if my trailer hitch ever falls off and cause an accident .

But yes, I recommend the overkill class III hitch. I've installed bike rack and towed a small boat with no problem. You probably need a 4 inch rise hitch receiver. I made a mistake and ordered a 6 inch rise and that was a bit too high.

The hitch is pretty well hidden and does not show much at all if I don't install the receiver ball portion.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:44 PM
8th Gear

Installed a class III hitch from Uhaul to carry 4 bikes. $160 for the hitch and $30 for the install. Barely visible when complete. Much better choice than the $519 from Acura dealer.
If you order on-line from Uhaul the install is only $20 and the hitch is delivered to your Uhaul dealer of choice.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Ordered and installed a Drawtite hitch from E-trailer along with the wiring kit. There are only four bolts and you bend two brackets behind the bumper. E-trailer actually has installation videos on line by make and model. My old Lexus RX350 hitch stuck out about 3 inches. The Acura hitch ends right under the bumper. The bar that slides into the hitch was 8.5" (hole to hole), and my bike rack was pretty close to the back of the car. I ordered a 12" (hole to hole) bar, and the bike rack sits far enough away from the bumper I don't have to worry about the tires or pedals hitting the back. Keep in mind, the towing capacity of the car is only 1,700 pounds.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

Did the same rosen39, worked like a charm.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
would love to see a picture of the install. It looks like the UHaul version can haul 4000 lbs vs 1500 from the Acura version. Curious if it sticks out more and affects the styling vs the factory version.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
uhaul hitches are re badged valley/hidden hitch/draw tite/curt hitches (the instructions will say which one you have). just peel the uhaul sticker off and no one will know where you bought it from.

the hitch on my MDX is from uhaul, but it's actually a draw tite hitch (same as the hidden hitch and valley hitch, all one in the same).

i helped another member on here install his hitch (i believe it was a hidden hitch from etrailer) on his RDX. It's a fairly easy install and the hitch doesn't really stick out away from the bumper. it looks well integrated. the tough part was trying to pry the brackets back in place for the rear bumper.

for those with the 2" receiver hitch (the aftermarket hitches) beware that the RDX is not rated to tow 4000lbs as someone else has already mentioned.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I called Etrailer a week or so ago and this was the work up they made for my 2014 Acura RDX AWD Tech. Click on the links below for more detail:

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"

Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector

Hitch Ball with 2" Diameter and Medium Shank, 7,500 lbs GTW - Chrome

Ball Mount 3/4" Rise or 2" Drop, 7,500 lbs

I don't know if I want to order all the trailer pulling stuff just yet. For now, I just want the hitch to use with my Yakima FlipSide 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (w/ 1.25 and 2-Inch Receiver) bike rack.

for my '07 Accord, When I bought a hitch to install on that, I tried on my own but had a hard time. I called uhaul and they said they could only install it if they had ordered it themselves.

But the etrailer person said that the install on this would be easy. I just have to lower some covering. I think I'll just try on my own.

Last edited by Shahryar; 04-24-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Racer

definitely remove the UHaul sticker. With a premium car you don't want to show that you got a bargain priced hitch.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Racer

I also wish the SUVs in the RDX size would create bumpers that look good with a hitch. most of the time for the RDX, Escape, Santa Fe Sport, etc... you have to install it below the bumper. The bigger SUVs are designed for this.

The Grand Cherokee, 4 Runner, Pilot, and others have bumpers designed to take off a piece in the middle for the hitch.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wildeklave
I also wish the SUVs in the RDX size would create bumpers that look good with a hitch. most of the time for the RDX, Escape, Santa Fe Sport, etc... you have to install it below the bumper. The bigger SUVs are designed for this.

The Grand Cherokee, 4 Runner, Pilot, and others have bumpers designed to take off a piece in the middle for the hitch.
Just buy the factory mounted one. The Honda Odyssey if you buy Honda's it look s much better than the after market hitches, because the Honda one they have to actually take the bumper off and drill thru part of the bottom of it. You have much more ground clearance with the Honda Dealer hitch then aftermarket and it looks better
Old 08-10-2014, 01:20 AM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by danmangto
Just buy the factory mounted one. The Honda Odyssey if you buy Honda's it look s much better than the after market hitches, because the Honda one they have to actually take the bumper off and drill thru part of the bottom of it. You have much more ground clearance with the Honda Dealer hitch then aftermarket and it looks better

Old post, but....

Way too many shekels for the dealer/factory mounted one. Only 1%' ers can afford those.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Master Tasker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone out there know how many more inches clearance you get with the OEM install?Looks like it could make a difference between bottoming out and not when going into and out of steep driveways/parking areas.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shahryar
I called Etrailer a week or so ago and this was the work up they made for my 2014 Acura RDX AWD Tech. Click on the links below for more detail:

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"

Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector

Hitch Ball with 2" Diameter and Medium Shank, 7,500 lbs GTW - Chrome

Ball Mount 3/4" Rise or 2" Drop, 7,500 lbs

I don't know if I want to order all the trailer pulling stuff just yet. For now, I just want the hitch to use with my Yakima FlipSide 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack (w/ 1.25 and 2-Inch Receiver) bike rack.

for my '07 Accord, When I bought a hitch to install on that, I tried on my own but had a hard time. I called uhaul and they said they could only install it if they had ordered it themselves.

But the etrailer person said that the install on this would be easy. I just have to lower some covering. I think I'll just try on my own.
To confirm your comments - I ordered the same receiver and wiring harness. I installed the receiver by myself although a second set of hands would have been nice.

Here's a suggestion or two for those who are contemplating installing your own.

1. Dead easy. Don't sweat it. You'll need a 19-mm socket but a 3/4" will do in a pinch. 3/4 is something like 0.001969" larger so unless you're exceeding the recommended torque, you should be fine.

2. You can't simply lift the receiver into place. You have point the horizontal edges straight up and then rotate it into the right position as you lift.

3. A standard paint can and a short 2x4 on edge is close enough to the correct height to hold it in place.... more or less...from the middle of the receiver. You can then move from side-to-side to install the four bolts. Two of the bolts have 'tangs' - easy to bend, easy to get in the right position.

Time required: 30 minutes if you're old and slow like me. If you have everything at hand, it's literally a 10-minute job unless you enjoy lying on your back admiring how clean your new RDX might be.
The following users liked this post:
CAM2013 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 06:28 PM
5th Gear

I just installed a U-Haul hitch. You can't see the bar. Only the receiver is visible. Im very happy with the results.