New 2016 RDX Owner Adv PKG Fathom Blue with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2016 RDX Owner Adv PKG Fathom Blue with Pics

Hey Guys,

A little bit by myself. I live near Boston, and owner of a 2016 RDX AWD Advance. My first love of Acura was my 2003 RSX Type-S (Arctic Blue pearl) and in 2007 I purchased a Honda Civic Si in Red.

My pregnant wife and I were involved in a very serious accident in July. Hit by a stupid kid with no insurance or DL - hit us head on. We are extremely lucky that the baby and us were able to walk away from the accident. We are very fortunate that the Honda saved our lives, and this is why I felt in my heart that I can always feel confident that this is the brand that I meant to be with.

After the accident, I was seriously considering the 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited. It had great safety reviews, dependable AWD, and living in the Northeast, it was highly recommended by everyone. The vehicle has a huge demand, and can only order it, and will be available in November. Being this was too close to the due date of the baby, I wanted to take a look at the RDX as I wasn't really sold on the CR-V or even the new Honda Pilot. So finally, I wanted to try this car out. Both my wife and loved it. I have to admit there is somethings that I wish would carry over to the RDX. I'm a little worried about people's concerns that the AWD on the RDX is so so. I'm hoping that it will be sufficient to light to medium snow. I also think Eye sight is a superior system than the Acura Watch system IMO.

Overall, I feel a little bit more confident in my choice in getting this car. I like the fit and finish, and the materials are superior to me than the Subaru. I don't doubt the Subaru is won't be a great vehicle, I think after the accident, it really made me think about how i view vehicles. Looking at the pics of my SI, i truly went with my gut feeling to get this car.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:52 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
It is good to hear your family was OK after the accident. You will find out the added features of the RDX Adv will win you over with time compared to the almost as expensive non-luxury brands like the top of line Subie.

Best cure for RDX awd concerns are dedicated snow tires. If you didn't have a lot problem with the Honda; you are already way ahead with the RDX. I would also go with OEM or weather tech all weather mats just to get ready for winter. I leave my mats in all year because I like the look and it keeps stains, water, tar, sand, and smells out the carpet area. Clean-up is nothing more than a shake most of the time or rinse/wipe every once in a while.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
It is good to hear your family was OK after the accident. You will find out the added features of the RDX Adv will win you over with time compared to the almost as expensive non-luxury brands like the top of line Subie.

Best cure for RDX awd concerns are dedicated snow tires. If you didn't have a lot problem with the Honda; you are already way ahead with the RDX. I would also go with OEM or weather tech all weather mats just to get ready for winter. I leave my mats in all year because I like the look and it keeps stains, water, tar, sand, and smells out the carpet area. Clean-up is nothing more than a shake most of the time or rinse/wipe at most.
Thanks MR, that was first thing I bought wsa weathertech's. I love those mats quite a bit. First time owning them!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Awesome pics! You made the right choice in the RDX. It's way better than the Subaru. This thing will drive through the snow with little problem due to high ground clearance, great handling and power. This engine has POWER!

If you felt safe in the Honda Civic, you will feel indestructible in this beast.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Glad to hear you and the family are safe.

on the new RDX.
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (09-27-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rockyboy
Awesome pics! You made the right choice in the RDX. It's way better than the Subaru. This thing will drive through the snow with little problem due to high ground clearance, great handling and power. This engine has POWER!

If you felt safe in the Honda Civic, you will feel indestructible in this beast.
Yeah the engine is great. My wife has a 2013 Avalon Touring, and the engine in that feels a tad bit faster and smoother to me. Maybe once the engine breaks in more, I will notice it a bit more pep from it. Overall, I'm very pleased with the car.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Glad the family is OK. Love the color.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Glad that you and your family escaped relatively unscathed. The RDX is great choice as it achieved the highest crash ratings.
Love the color; it is close to the Kona blue on my Mustang.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Glad that you and your family escaped relatively unscathed. The RDX is great choice as it achieved the highest crash ratings.
Love the color; it is close to the Kona blue on my Mustang.
Thank you. I love the Kona blue on the Mustang. Very nice choice. GT?
Old 09-21-2015, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponsey_Scheme
Thank you. I love the Kona blue on the Mustang. Very nice choice. GT?
Thanks. Factory ordered, fully loaded Brembo package GT with Roush TVS supercharger added for extra amusement purposes.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
hello there.

coincidently we also were planning to purchase a fully loaded subaru outback 3.6r.

placed an order and everything, but because of a manufacturing defect, we decided to walk away and go for our second choice.

i do agree that in terms of safety, the outback is ahead of the rdx. the subaru eyesight system is superior to acura/honda's system. but the rdx safety ratings are also very high.

just waiting for iihs to finally perform the small overlap test on the rdx.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jason330i
hello there.

coincidently we also were planning to purchase a fully loaded subaru outback 3.6r.

placed an order and everything, but because of a manufacturing defect, we decided to walk away and go for our second choice.

i do agree that in terms of safety, the outback is ahead of the rdx. the subaru eyesight system is superior to acura/honda's system. but the rdx safety ratings are also very high.

just waiting for iihs to finally perform the small overlap test on the rdx.
We were very serious, and we put a deposit down. I'm hard pressed to call the Subaru safer. I'm sure you seen on Outback.org the amount of complaints about Windshield crack issues. I think for sure ES and the AWD is impressive, but everything else was just OK. Even the paint people have complained about being too thin was an issue. I'm not knocking the car, and in fact know that is not meant to be compared with RDX. End of the day, I stuck with something that is familiar with me.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
LED fogs would look nice.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Great color, they offered blue in the mix and tsx in '13, wanted blue badly but went with red. As a fellow Boston area driver, AWD is fine, I do run dedicated snows. Did a Boston to Montreal to Toronto to Boston trip a year back, 8 hours in a storm on one leg, RDX was perfect throughout. Same last year with the record snow - you won't be disappointed!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Congratulations. That blue looks good on the RDX. I used to live in the Boston area and always had winter tires. They're worth the extra money, especially if you have another winter like last year.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
How do you like the grey interior? I really like the exterior color - Grey seems almost white. Wondering how hard it'd be to keep clean.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Love the Blue. Unfortunately I like the black interior. Since there is grey interior, I may look at it when my lease is up next year. It's tempting.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The grey interior being too light is what kept me away from the blue.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:01 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cudfoo
How do you like the grey interior? I really like the exterior color - Grey seems almost white. Wondering how hard it'd be to keep clean.
The Grey is not my first choice to be honest, I was hoping I had the color combo of my RSX of the blue and black interior. I will say it has grown on me quite a bit. The black weathertech's do a help a little also.

I think Acura needs to get it together if it wants to compete with other luxury brands that offer more color combos. I think it's ridiculous not to offer black with the blue.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SlowLane
Congratulations. That blue looks good on the RDX. I used to live in the Boston area and always had winter tires. They're worth the extra money, especially if you have another winter like last year.
Thank you, yeah I'm going to see what the tires are like this season and then next year asses what will be a good tire / winter rim combo.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:15 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
LED fogs would look nice.
+1 here. May be OP should consider that whenever he wants to upgrade.
The blue color looks awesome. It would have been perfect if it came with black interior.
Congratulations dude. You got an amazing car.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also have the Blue 2016 RDX with Grey interior. I actually love the lighter color. My 2010 RDX is white with Black interior so I was looking for something different in the new car.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:17 AM
5th Gear

I think you made the right choice. I ordered/purchased a new 15 Subaru Outback in Sept last year with all the bells and whistles. The car was nothing but a disappointment from the beginning. I had many quality control and manufacturing issues. The ES system was good, but I felt like it was going to fail a few times. Also, the dealer service department was completely incompetent with their repairs. While the car may be structurally sound, the wind noise issues from the windows was just too much to bear and I sold it.

In May, I bought a new 2016 RDX Tech in Blue and I'm so much happier with this vehicle. The quality of materials and workmanship is no comparison. I think you will be much happier with the RDX. I know I am.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Welcome!
That RDX is fukn fantastic, man!

Congrats...and MAN, glad you and the wife/baby are okay. I can't even begin to imagine.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Glad you're happy with the new Acura. I feel the same way.

One thing that makes me completely bewildered is the people who compare the luxurious Acura RDX to non-luxury vehicles like the Subaru Outback, CRV, Kia/Hyundai, Nissan SUVs etc. They must be smoking something because there is no comparison. The RDX is in a different class.

Originally Posted by tcs55
I think you made the right choice. I ordered/purchased a new 15 Subaru Outback in Sept last year with all the bells and whistles. The car was nothing but a disappointment from the beginning. I had many quality control and manufacturing issues. The ES system was good, but I felt like it was going to fail a few times. Also, the dealer service department was completely incompetent with their repairs. While the car may be structurally sound, the wind noise issues from the windows was just too much to bear and I sold it.

In May, I bought a new 2016 RDX Tech in Blue and I'm so much happier with this vehicle. The quality of materials and workmanship is no comparison. I think you will be much happier with the RDX. I know I am.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
I love that blue. They had one on the showroom floor when I was looking for my 2016. I would have probably purchased it except I wanted a dark interior and it was only available with the lighter color. I wish Acura would allow more flexibility in exterior/interior combo's.

The Outback was also high on my shopping list but the wind noise issue along with several other factors quickly convinced me that while it may be a good vehicle, it just wasn't for me. After 2 months and 2000+ miles I absolutely love my RDX and am very glad I picked it over everything else I was looking at.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jim7707
I love that blue. They had one on the showroom floor when I was looking for my 2016. I would have probably purchased it except I wanted a dark interior and it was only available with the lighter color. I wish Acura would allow more flexibility in exterior/interior combo's.

The Outback was also high on my shopping list but the wind noise issue along with several other factors quickly convinced me that while it may be a good vehicle, it just wasn't for me. After 2 months and 2000+ miles I absolutely love my RDX and am very glad I picked it over everything else I was looking at.
Thank you!. yeah, another big turn off was the complaint about the high oil consumption on the Outbacks. For a company that is braggs how green it is, it consumes a lot of oil.

That's how I feel too - It's a good vehicle, but not sure what I think long term will be.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:05 AM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I prefer black as well especially with FBP...
Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I like the mixture of light and dark interior.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Welcome!
That RDX is fukn fantastic, man!

Congrats...and MAN, glad you and the wife/baby are okay. I can't even begin to imagine.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Yeah, still nervous and hoping our son will be Ok when he comes next month.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:13 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
He will be......keep the faith, brother, and soldier on....

BTW, love your RDX
Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife
He will be......keep the faith, brother, and soldier on....

BTW, love your RDX
Thanks man, I appreciate it. We have 7 Weeks to go. Time is flying!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi - Thinking of going with this combo: Blue/Grey. Checked out one today and I kind of like the grey. Coming from a tax wagon w/black seats think the lighter color seats may be a nice change of pace. I keep my cars clean so I don't think it'll be to much trouble to keep clean. How are you making out with these seats. I really like the blue exterior.