Curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Curiosity

My random curious thought and somewhat of a rant, so I apologize in advance.

Please logically explain to me why a person would purchase an RDX (or any other vehicle) and then do nothing but complain about it? I don't understand why someone would buy a large ticket item and not do the research beforehand? It reminds me of someone purchasing a home without a home inspection; only later to find all of the issues and then cry wolf. Not only does it not reflect well on the person complaining; it doesn't reflect well on the Acura/Honda brand.

If you think you have a lemon - take it back.
If you'd rather drive an Audi... then have at it (go get your Audi-on!).
If you think the RDX is a CRV with a different badge... Well, buy a CRV?!
If you want blind spot monitoring... buy a Crosstour.
If you want park assist... buy a Ford Edge.
If you can afford it... buy an M6!

You get my point.

And don't get me wrong; I certainly appreciate everyone's individuality and preferences.... but it does baffle me. So my question is this: Why did you buy the RDX in the first place, if you're so dissatisfied? I purchased the RDX because my TL was nine years old, had almost 100,000 miles on it, and we wanted something roomier. I knew I wanted the '14 MDX but didn't want the fully-loaded price tag or third row seating, so I settled for the RDX. Having said that, the RDX has everything I need. No complaints here, believe it or not!

Life is way too short to whine and complain. If you don't like something... there is always a solution (like going across the street to the Hyundai dealer...). ;-)

Stepping off the soap box now... thank you!

Best,
K
The following 2 users liked this post by KJW73:
5 Acuras (02-25-2014), stuhFAN (02-26-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
K,

you'll find that forums are a place to vent and complain. more so, than for praises.
Also, you will find that forums attract a special breed of people. the kind of breed that lacks a little common sense.

while to some, it would be common sense to inspect and drive the car before you plop down $40-50k, to others, sense isnt so common.

this special breed has hit the 3rd generation TL especially hard.
you can pick up a 3G TL for less than $10k now.
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
KJW73 (02-25-2014), markAZ (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KJW73
My random curious thought and somewhat of a rant, so I apologize in advance.

Please logically explain to me why a person would purchase an RDX (or any other vehicle) and then do nothing but complain about it? I don't understand why someone would buy a large ticket item and not do the research beforehand? It reminds me of someone purchasing a home without a home inspection; only later to find all of the issues and then cry wolf. Not only does it not reflect well on the person complaining; it doesn't reflect well on the Acura/Honda brand.

If you think you have a lemon - take it back.
If you'd rather drive an Audi... then have at it (go get your Audi-on!).
If you think the RDX is a CRV with a different badge... Well, buy a CRV?!
If you want blind spot monitoring... buy a Crosstour.
If you want park assist... buy a Ford Edge.
If you can afford it... buy an M6!

You get my point.

And don't get me wrong; I certainly appreciate everyone's individuality and preferences.... but it does baffle me. So my question is this: Why did you buy the RDX in the first place, if you're so dissatisfied? I purchased the RDX because my TL was nine years old, had almost 100,000 miles on it, and we wanted something roomier. I knew I wanted the '14 MDX but didn't want the fully-loaded price tag or third row seating, so I settled for the RDX. Having said that, the RDX has everything I need. No complaints here, believe it or not!

Life is way too short to whine and complain. If you don't like something... there is always a solution (like going across the street to the Hyundai dealer...). ;-)

Stepping off the soap box now... thank you!

Best,
K
well said.. it seams a lot want to whine & cry but no one wants to work on a fix. we also wanted a loaded mdx but didn't want to spend the $55k soooo. we got the rdx & put cooled seats , a new sub woofer & got the dash parts custom covered in wood grain. now we have what we want for a lot less.
The following users liked this post:
KJW73 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wanted an Infiniti fx for the wife, she didn't like the useless trunk and how wide it was. She liked the size of the rdx so we bought it... She's happy, I'm happy. I don't have to drive it, my esky is my daily....
KJW73 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 06:41 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

This pretty much confirms why I have had very few complaints since 1994 when I began driving Honda's. Always somewhere at the top.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/consumer...174500329.html

And another reason...

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm

Last edited by KJW73; 02-26-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Some interesting reading: http://www.customerservicemanager.co...vice-facts.htm
KJW73 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad I didn't discover this forum before acquiring my RDX. Otherwise I would have thought the RDX was a re-badged CRV designed for geezers with shoddy shocks, a rumbling drivetrain, and a hopeless NAV system.
The following 4 users liked this post by stuhFAN:
justnspace (02-26-2014), KJW73 (02-26-2014), markAZ (02-26-2014), Yukstin (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:23 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by stuhFAN
I'm glad I didn't discover this forum before acquiring my RDX. Otherwise I would have thought the RDX was a re-badged CRV designed for geezers with shoddy shocks, a rumbling drivetrain, and a hopeless NAV system.
It isn't??????????????????????????
Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
Not quite true. The number of "a dissatisfied customer tells xx others" was from the pre internet age.

Few satisfied customers will bombard the 'net with gushing success stories (unless the company has a niche following - TomBihn bags for example) so the "will tell 4 to 6 others" may be right even today, but a disgruntled customer can now reach out to thousands of others worldwide. It is also obvious that an upset customer is more likely to post than a happy customer.

How seriously they are taken depends on the writer's 'net reputation, the relative perceived importance of the issue and the quality of the description.

Why this disparity? We expect to be happy and when we make a purchase that meets our expectation then we are satisfied and see no need to tell others because it met our expectations. It is only when a product or service fails to meet our expectations that we talk about it.

You might come back from lunch and say "I just went to the new place down the street for lunch and it was crowded, the service was lousy and the burger was cold" but you'll wait for someone to say "how is the new burger joint down the street?" before you tell them "it was great. The service was fast, the burger tasty and it was priced right" - because that was your expectation before going there.
KJW73 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
LOL! I love how this thread is turning into a mock-fest.

KJW73, you know that many people here share the same sentiment as you - including myself. However, justnspace is right, people will more likely to share negative opinions than positive.

To put things in a different perspective: I owned a 2007 RL Tech prior to my 2014 RDX tech AWD. Although there are certain luxury amenities and technology that I miss in the RL, the RDX is hands down a better car thus far. At $10K higher price point, the RL was problematic and in an under-performer. Yes, I complained about the RL all the time on the RL forum, but they were valid complaints. Even though I do experience the rumble and shakes; dismay about the Nav operation limitations; and other "defects"; at $10K less; better gas mileage; better power and handling; and additional passenger and cargo space; smaller insurance premium; I have nothing to complaint about. ;-)
KJW73 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

KJW73, you know that many people here share the same sentiment as you - including myself. However, justnspace is right, people will more likely to share negative opinions than positive.

To put things in a different perspective: I owned a 2007 RL Tech prior to my 2014 RDX tech AWD. Although there are certain luxury amenities and technology that I miss in the RL, the RDX is hands down a better car thus far. At $10K higher price point, the RL was problematic and in an under-performer. Yes, I complained about the RL all the time on the RL forum, but they were valid complaints. Even though I do experience the rumble and shakes; dismay about the Nav operation limitations; and other "defects"; at $10K less; better gas mileage; better power and handling; and additional passenger and cargo space; smaller insurance premium; I have nothing to complaint about.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:54 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
Thanks! It was an interesting read and very true.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:22 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by thephantom

To put things in a different perspective: I owned a 2007 RL Tech prior to my 2014 RDX tech AWD. Although there are certain luxury amenities and technology that I miss in the RL, the RDX is hands down a better car thus far. At $10K higher price point, the RL was problematic and in an under-performer. Yes, I complained about the RL all the time on the RL forum, but they were valid complaints. Even though I do experience the rumble and shakes; dismay about the Nav operation limitations; and other "defects"; at $10K less; better gas mileage; better power and handling; and additional passenger and cargo space; smaller insurance premium; I have nothing to complaint about. ;-)
Thanks! I guess that I've been fortunate enough not to have any major issues with my cars; so complaining about their faults has not really been something that I've had to experience. My 05 TL was a beast; it never needed any repairs, just the preventative maintenance required and neither did any of my other Honda's. I do apologize for not being sensitive to those folks that do have legit issues; and I realize that car issues are a reality. And, by all means - if someone has a legit complaint or something is wrong... they should call it out like it is.

I think what has bothered me has been reading posts on this forum where all they do is bitch about their RDX not being like "this car or that car" or "not having this or that" - - and I feel like smacking myself on the forehead like I need a dang V8! LOL. The buyer/complainer obviously has legit issues that need resolved with their current vehicle; or they are bitter because they couldn't afford the Audi or BMW and WISH the RDX had some of those features (but then it would be called an MDX, likely). SMH.

Seriously, I just appreciate being able to have this discussion. I love my RDX and I LOVED my TL. It's good to know I'm not the only one... ;-)

Best,
K
Old 02-26-2014, 03:40 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

You get what you pay for is certainly true in new cars. Yes, the xyz has more bells and whistles than the RDX but there will be a trade off somewhere. It'll be in build quality, materials used, ergonomics, handling, price or some other area.

Manufacturers aren't stupid and they generally figure out where their price point is and what advantages they have over the competition. They also figure out what the majority of their prospective customer base wants - and it ain't us they are looking at.

Mercedes quite happily sells 90% (literally) of anything but the S class with vinyl instead of leather and that doesn't stop the US consumer from buying them. Up until last year, only about 20% of those cars has the P2 package (significant items were xenon lights and keyless start - now LEDs are standard and snazzy LEds are options) and people spent upwards of $60k on the cars - without leather or HID lights.

The average buyer doesn't know a LED from halogen or leather from MB-Tex. The majority of MB buyers will tell you they have this special leather made for Mercedes.

I knew what features my Acura had when I bought it and I was OK with that. I could have bought a different Acura if a particular feature was missing that was a dealbreaker.
KJW73 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't necessarily agree with the OP's view. If that was the case, there would be no divorces
There is only so much you can research before purchasing a vehicle. You find out certain problems/idiosyncrasies when you drive it daily. The way I see it is when you post these issues, you receive a number of replies which might help mitigate or work around them. More importantly, many a recalls have been initiated because a number of people came together on forums and common issues got identified.
The following 4 users liked this post by nihar15:
ARascal (07-06-2014), KJW73 (02-27-2014), Murrow (02-27-2014), ottoman101 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 01:40 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by nihar15
I don't necessarily agree with the OP's view. If that was the case, there would be no divorces
There is only so much you can research before purchasing a vehicle. You find out certain problems/idiosyncrasies when you drive it daily. The way I see it is when you post these issues, you receive a number of replies which might help mitigate or work around them. More importantly, many a recalls have been initiated because a number of people came together on forums and common issues got identified.
I have to agree with you and appreciate your feedback/opinion.

What I am truly referring to are the folks that bitch, whine, and complain about their vehicles on here, but do nothing to remedy their situation. That is a pet peeve of mine about people in general, in life. Referencing your quote above - to me, that is similar to a marriage. If you're in a marriage and all you do is complain about your partner not being like this or that - well, then I'd say it's time you find a new mate. Life's too short to be unhappy, whether it's with your ride or your wife/hubby.

If you say, "Hey - my RDX is piece of crap and I hate it because it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that the X3 or Audi has..." - that's what I am referring to. To me that says you didn't do your homework before the purchase. Otherwise, why would someone in a position to buy a new car purchase one that they don't like or doesn't meet their needs? That would seem wasteful and frustrating.

If you say, "Hey - my RDX has a vibration in the back and I'm looking for feedback or a fix" - that's a legit comment, which I wouldn't even consider a complaint. That's all I meant. No disrespect meant to anyone that has legit issues.

I'm really jumping off of the soap box now. Thanks for listening... ;-)