Purchasing calipers by Spring - any other OE options besides Legend/NSX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Purchasing calipers by Spring - any other OE options besides Legend/NSX?

I've heard that the '08 or '09 MDX calipers potentially bolt up directly to the '01-'03 CL-S.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm probably going to purchase the Legend calipers between now and the Spring for an April/May install but want to find out if any other OE calipers have been tested lately on the CL-S.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
U can get WILWOOD 4 pistons up front with rotors and pads for under $1000..
If I where to do it again I would have went with wilwood instead of the NSX calipers after all said and done it was only w couple hundred more for 4 piston bigbrakes instead of 2 piston NSX brakes.. The kit comes with front calipers, front rotors, pads and ss lines for like $800-$900..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Big-B...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
i was HIGHLY contemplating this upgrade, but then I decided to get EBC RR..... DBA FR... and some PREEMOOO pads and all that was still under the price of the front BBK. and unless u track the car.. shit my brakes will throw u outta the seat if ur trying to hold urself in. I don't need any more. just what i did made a big diff
Old 12-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL
If I where to do it again I would have went with wilwood instead of the NSX calipers after all said and done it was only w couple hundred more for 4 piston bigbrakes instead of 2 piston NSX brakes.. The kit comes with front calipers, front rotors, pads and ss lines for like $800-$900..

Yeah with that though you will probably have to spend 2 or more hours under the car and thats just the front

200 bucks for nsx calipers using the pads you already have saves time and money....but thats just me
Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Racer

Yea I'm not entertaining Willwood but thanks for the info .

No experiences with the dual piston MDX calipers? I ask only because they are probably more readily available but I suppose the Legend calipers are just as available.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Well NSX calipers are $220 shipped..
GOOD rotors are $250 shipped
Good pads are $60
SS lines are $100
SO you are spending $630 for all the parts, Then you have to paint the calipers or they will rust orange like mine did..And thats if rockauto has anymore calipers left last I checked they only had passenger side rebuilds..
Less then $200 more you get 4 piston big brakes instead of 2 piston OEM NSX calipers.. If you are going to go with the WHOLE steup the wilwood is the way to go , If u are only switching calipes and keeping same rotors and lines then it not the way to go!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks for the link. i think i might buy these in the spring. i want the Rotora BBK, but they're too much $$$
Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Racer

Yuck! Guess I'll go with the Legend calipers . I need to do rear rotors/pads too (I suppose I don't NEED to change the rear rotors..)
Old 12-04-2009, 02:07 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 01RedCLS
Yuck! Guess I'll go with the Legend calipers . I need to do rear rotors/pads too (I suppose I don't NEED to change the rear rotors..)
If u get the legend calipers they will also rust like my NSX calipers..When they rebuild them the strip all the paint and clearcoat off them so after u get them you have to paint them or at least clear coat them or they will turn Orange like mine did... Go with the WillWood if u are gonna go the whole 9 yards and get rotors and pads also!!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

lol what is wrong with ur brakes guys???

My car brakes SOOO hard it's uncomfortable... really.

I was testing the stopping power when I did the fronts and then the rears.. (at different times) and my friend(s) would TELL ME to warn them b4 i hit the brakes cause it's SOOO intense.

I see no reason why anyone would want and moreover NEED new calipers... unless their's are DONEZO and they are looking to replace/upgrade... then it makes sense IMHO

ABS kicks instantaneously...

i had a guy almost run me off the side of the highway and b4 I ran out of room i slammed the brakes and was a MILE behind this mad man in the blink of an eye.

lol then i FLOOORED it got beside him made SURE he knew wtf he just did, flipped him off, then slowly cut him off to piss him off. and that's the end of my story

Last edited by CL-S progression 01; 12-04-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,144 Likes on 4,811 Posts
The stock brakes are horrible. They are not the correct size rotors for the weight of the car. How many miles do you have on your brakes?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:33 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CL-S progression 01
lol what is wrong with ur brakes guys???

My car brakes SOOO hard it's uncomfortable... really.

I was testing the stopping power when I did the fronts and then the rears.. (at different times) and my friend(s) would TELL ME to warn them b4 i hit the brakes cause it's SOOO intense.

I see no reason why anyone would want and moreover NEED new calipers... unless their's are DONEZO and they are looking to replace/upgrade... then it makes sense IMHO

ABS kicks instantaneously...

i had a guy almost run me off the side of the highway and b4 I ran out of room i slammed the brakes and was a MILE behind this mad man in the blink of an eye.

lol then i FLOOORED it got beside him made SURE he knew wtf he just did, flipped him off, then slowly cut him off to piss him off. and that's the end of my story
even smaller brakes will stop the car at the same rate (just need more pressure) (geneally limited by the tire's grip [as you say the abs kicked in]), but it is more of how long will they last with those hard stops, and/or how soon will they overheat and warp with repetitive stops like that cause the hotter the brakes run the shorter the life of them (it also helps that you are in so the ambient temp never gets very high (compared to people in texas and florida and such)
Old 12-04-2009, 06:30 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

yea you got a very good point I never thought about it like that.

But i don't do a bunch of hard stopping till u feel the rotors melt LOL

I just do the odd crazy brake here and there and they are more than I need.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is good advice. I bought bf goodrich SS lines, Legend Calipers, New pads and rotors for basically the same price. Then I painted the calipers which was a pain in the ass too. Looking back I definitely would have went the Wilwood route as this would have given me much better braking for about the same price.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Good pads are $60
SS lines are $100
SO you are spending $630 for all the parts, Then you have to paint the calipers or they will rust orange like mine did..And thats if rockauto has anymore calipers left last I checked they only had passenger side rebuilds..
Less then $200 more you get 4 piston big brakes instead of 2 piston OEM NSX calipers.. If you are going to go with the WHOLE steup the wilwood is the way to go , If u are only switching calipes and keeping same rotors and lines then it not the way to go!

some brake cleaner, a little bit of oil will take that right off. Thats mostly brake dust because mine do the same but its not as bad as that, and I usually clean mine once every two weeks but I have nothing else to do in my freetime.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:51 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
some brake cleaner, a little bit of oil will take that right off. Thats mostly brake dust because mine do the same but its not as bad as that, and I usually clean mine once every two weeks but I have nothing else to do in my freetime.
Yeah And after I clean them, unless I paint them it will rust again in the next rain storm... My car is Sold so I dont care anymore.. Just saying if I where to do it again I would have gone with the wilwood 4 pot instead of the rusty NSX 2 pot.. If u r changing everything out it is WELL worth it!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Chamorro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I've heard that the '08 or '09 MDX calipers potentially bolt up directly to the '01-'03 CL-S.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm probably going to purchase the Legend calipers between now and the Spring for an April/May install but want to find out if any other OE calipers have been tested lately on the CL-S.
It would be something interesting to look into. After I did my Legend upgrade I was wondering why I didn't do it sooner. Its a great upgrade for the money.

It would def be worth the extra money to go all out on the Wilwood kit. Only problem is you can't put the OEM wheels on with those bigger rotors right? I opted for the Legend upgrade because I needed to be able to put my oem wheels with winter tires for the snow. For you lucky people on the west coast those Wilwoods would be money!

Good pads are $60
SS lines are $100

I'm not sure what happened to your calipers there. I don't have the NSX ones but i would think the correct prep work would prevent any kind of 'rusting' or discoloring like what you have. I'd def try cleaning 'em!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:10 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by dave586270
I'm not sure what happened to your calipers there. I don't have the NSX ones but i would think the correct prep work would prevent any kind of 'rusting' or discoloring like what you have. I'd def try cleaning 'em!
like he said he sold the car, so not his problem anymore

like i got flaking red painted calipers on my car from the previous owner, but they still work perfectly fine and one day i want to go to a BBK kit or something anyways
Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Chamorro

Originally Posted by friesm2000
like he said he sold the car, so not his problem anymore

like i got flaking red painted calipers on my car from the previous owner, but they still work perfectly fine and one day i want to go to a BBK kit or something anyways
Good point. If i didn't live in winter wonderland I'd go BBK as well. Ditch the oem winter wheels.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:41 PM
B A N N E D

Good point. If i didn't live in winter wonderland I'd go BBK as well. Ditch the oem winter wheels.
or you might be able to just get spacers too for the stockies, but yeah next winter i will proably be turning my stockies into my winter wheels too (just got myself some A-specs for summer )
Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Racer

So the Wilwoods don't fit the OEM 17" wheels? Then they are def out since I just bought new tires earlier this year and I'm not getting new wheels!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Chamorro

or you might be able to just get spacers too for the stockies, but yeah next winter i will proably be turning my stockies into my winter wheels too (just got myself some A-specs for summer )
Nice, did you take advantage of that crazy sale Ron had goin on? I saw that post too late. I would have snatched up my Inspires if I knew about it sooner.

So the Wilwoods don't fit the OEM 17" wheels? Then they are def out since I just bought new tires earlier this year and I'm not getting new wheels!
It won't fit. The BBK comes with larger rotors and thus pushes the mounting of the calipers our further. I believe you have to run 18's minimum for the BBK.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, you need to run spacers.

I'm running a 15mm to clear with extra room on stockies. A 12 or 13mm would be ideal.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
You could run spacers, I think it's 2.5 or 5 mm to run the Wilwood BBK.

I'm not a fan of spacers no matter the quality.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Chamorro

Oh yeah I forgot about spacers. I agree with pits200 though. I'm not a fan of the idea. There is always a way around it if you know what you want. Since you want to keep the stockies, then the Legend upgrade would be the right choice for you!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
B A N N E D

Nice, did you take advantage of that crazy sale Ron had goin on? I saw that post too late. I would have snatched up my Inspires if I knew about it sooner.

It won't fit. The BBK comes with larger rotors and thus pushes the mounting of the calipers our further. I believe you have to run 18's minimum for the BBK.
i dont' really like inspires (i like the devotions) but each there own, and he also did not have the sale on the devotions either, and i bought all 4 of my wheels for basically the price of one of the devotions, so can't really complain

and depends on how much the larger the rotor is (i think they are only 13" plus 4" for the caliper so 17", so they should fit

Originally Posted by pits200
You could run spacers, I think it's 2.5 or 5 mm to run the Wilwood BBK.

I'm not a fan of spacers no matter the quality.
not eitheir , but as long as the spacers extend out the hub too, i am kinda alright with them, but yeah the best way to clear a bbk would be new wheel design to clear them
Old 12-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Chamorro

Yeah, I mean i give it to Ron, all his wheels are sick. Can't go wrong with a set of 'em. Especially if you managed to snag a set on sale!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:42 PM
B A N N E D

Yeah, I mean i give it to Ron, all his wheels are sick. Can't go wrong with a set of 'em. Especially if you managed to snag a set on sale!
got a set of factory 18" a-specs which are in perfect condition instead, but yeah i like how all his wheels are custom fitted for our cars (especially hubcentric, not just some shitty plastic spacers)
Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Chamorro

got a set of factory 18" a-specs which are in perfect condition instead, but yeah i like how all his wheels are custom fitted for our cars (especially hubcentric, not just some shitty plastic spacers)
Thats awesome! But yeah its nice having someone out there representing the aftermarket for our cars!