Installing TV's in CL-I know its should be in Elec forum, but no replies

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing TV's in CL-I know its should be in Elec forum, but no replies

Hey, I am only 16 and do not have a lot of cash. Is there anyway I can set up some type of TV's in my car for about $300. I was thinking maybe one 5 inch LCD for my Visor from partsexpress.com which was $127, and then the Wireless FM Modulator from that site, $29.99, and then a cheap DVD player that I can put under my seat or the passenger seat. The only problem is, I do not know how to wire everything and how to insert the LCD into a Visor, so I was wondering how much a local shop would probably charge to install all of it. Thank you for the help! Also please suggest any alternative setups.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
FM modulator = the shittiest noise ever created.

don't get the modulator
Old 10-19-2002, 03:10 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Ok, thank you for the suggestion. Do you know any alternatives to the Modulator?
Old 10-19-2002, 04:03 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=82933
Old 10-19-2002, 06:28 PM
Race Director

The FM Modulator is not all that bad. It is decent for people who don't intend to blast their radio, who are short on cash, minimal electrical skills, etc. They work ok and are reliable, not perfect sound though but very easy to install. They are sold and used by hundreds of businesses around the country and have been around for decades. You sound as though the FM modulator might work out for you, I use it and I have had dozens if not one-hundred people hear it and not a single person has said the sound was awful. There was one gentleman like Shawn who has an entire home entertainment system who had "doubts" about my setup when he heard about it but as soon as he sat in the passenger's seat, he was mildly impressed. YMMV.

If you are going cheap on all the other components, it doesn't make sense to set out a lot of cash on the audio part.
Old 10-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

i have my PS2 plugged into my FM modulator for sound, and when i'm on the freeway , i can't ever understand anything while playing a DVD. the noise is just horrible. there is so much static, (there is less static when i put it on mono vs. stereo) , i have to crank the volume up to maximum just to be able to "barely" hear the movie.

IMO, with my experience, it sucks very bad

i'm very interested in this thing that Ron is producing that hooks up to the cd player
Old 10-19-2002, 07:41 PM
Got BOOST????

i'm selling my 7" tv in the visor. The tv is already mounted in it. If ur interested.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:19 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

bnvarro, I would be very interested, how much are you charging though. Also, I do not know if my setup would work. My main question was would a wireless Fm Modulator, Dvd under the passenger seat and the Visor Lcd screen work. I also, do not know how to install any of these things, so I was wondering how much it would probably be at some local shop. If they are going to charge too much, I will have to wait and save some more cash.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:05 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon
i have my PS2 plugged into my FM modulator for sound, and when i'm on the freeway , i can't ever understand anything while playing a DVD. the noise is just horrible. there is so much static, (there is less static when i put it on mono vs. stereo) , i have to crank the volume up to maximum just to be able to "barely" hear the movie.

IMO, with my experience, it sucks very bad

i'm very interested in this thing that Ron is producing that hooks up to the cd player
I believe you but I think that's your PS2. My Panasonic DVD portable player is awesome. FM Modulators vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, I bought mine from a car shop in San Diego out near Mirimar NAS, where all the car places are. It is pretty good, I can't turn up the volume all the way, it's too loud and the music actually becomes a bit distorted. And that's with my own burned VCDs (music videos); DVDs are very clean. 89.1FM and there is NEVER any radio static on the line when the rf modulator is on. Now that I have been burning SVCDs (super video CDs), I'm getting pretty good sound; really good sound; almost like DVD. The only thing I don't like is that sometimes I have to adjust the bass and treble for each video due to the different qualities video to video. BUT I am interested in Ron's new deal, also.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:35 AM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by Renegade
bnvarro, I would be very interested, how much are you charging though. Also, I do not know if my setup would work. My main question was would a wireless Fm Modulator, Dvd under the passenger seat and the Visor Lcd screen work. I also, do not know how to install any of these things, so I was wondering how much it would probably be at some local shop. If they are going to charge too much, I will have to wait and save some more cash.
I want 300 plus shipping and the swap of you stock visor. I started running out of funds before my project was done. The tv is mounted in the visor with the wires coming out by where you screw the visor to the roof of you car. NO WIRES can be seen. All you have to do is run the wires in the A Pillar. The visor has a quick connect for quick connect and security reason. The frame is grey so it matches your interior.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:38 AM
Got BOOST????

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=75329

Here's some pics!
Old 10-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Got BOOST????

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=75329

This should work.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:58 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Sorry, but I have no clue what the A Pillar is and how I would install it. However, my dad is extemely handy with these type of things, so can someone maybe send some pics of the A pillar and how to get to it? Sorry for the trouble. Bnvarro, I'm interested, just need to talk it over with the parents and see If my dad could install it.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by Renegade
Sorry, but I have no clue what the A Pillar is and how I would install it. However, my dad is extemely handy with these type of things, so can someone maybe send some pics of the A pillar and how to get to it? Sorry for the trouble. Bnvarro, I'm interested, just need to talk it over with the parents and see If my dad could install it.
The A pillar is where everyone puts the gauge pods. Its where you blind spot in the front of your car. your windsheld and drivers window are butted up next to it.