Fully stock CL-P - AEM V2 Intake? - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fully stock CL-P - AEM V2 Intake? - Yes or No?

I need some advice and I'm sure you guys can help. I don't know too much about cars, but have been trying to learn a few things here and there. Just some background info about my car.

I drive an '01 CL-P with 94K and I still owe $10,800. Bought it at carmax almost 3 years ago at 72K miles and about $18,500 out the door (prob won't be doing that again) I typically pay about $350/month but plan to have it paid off in 2 yrs of less. I plan to do the majority of mods to the car once it is payed off, but I was looking to do just one or two minor things to keep it fresh. I also plan to keep it kinda a sleeper car so I'm not interested in adding kits and pipes etc. As close to stock looking as possible. Just lower and some engine advancements.

Plan to lower it, put stiffer struts (I think that's what they're called lol - the bar that runs across the engine bay) to improve responsiveness and handling, intake, type S oem spoiler, new wheels & tires (thinking the '04 TL-S or A-spec rims) and lastly headers (not even sure what they are, but I see everyone doing it and it adds power)

SO here's where you can help....

Looking to put on the AEM V2 intake. Where is the cheapest place to buy it?
Also what kind of difference will it make? What is your experience with it? If you could only put the intake on would you do it?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Is a chargin mah lazar in

You paid 18.5 for a CL?!

Why?

Anywhoo, welcome to the forums!
You can find the V2 at numerous online sites, but I would recommend taking a look at some of our trusty vendors...Excelerate or Heeltoe

It won't make a HUGE difference, but to be fair, cold air intake systems are nice for providing quicker throttle response and a nice growl to your car, one of the easiest bang for buck mods and typically the first people do when they get them.

Oh and..

Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Well Keep 2 things in mind......

1- It's a CLP, not an S so power will not be at that level.
2 -It's an auto. So expect the trans to die. Maybe you got a good 1? No one knows.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Onese1f
You paid 18.5 for a CL?!

Why?

Anywhoo, welcome to the forums!
Paid 18.5 for a CL 3 years ago. Also been a member since 2007. Unlike you who' joined in 08 n00b
Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
u've already paid about 12 grand on that car and still have 10 grand left to go. I think u should pay more every month, as much as you can instead of modding the car right now. Even after you're done paying it off, it will only be worth about 6-7k, may be less.

ur stuck in a bad situation and the only other way to get out of it is by defaulting on it and messing up your credit.

I know a lot of people here in the same situation, one of my friend owes 17g on Z3, but its only worth 10-11k right now.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
Paid 18.5 for a CL 3 years ago. Also been a member since 2007. Unlike you who' joined in 08 n00b
he didnt pay 18.5, that how much the drive out price was.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man...what a shitty situation. its probably worth about 4-5 right now as is...

Anyways, to answer your question, you can try ebay, or any of the vendors on this site, or you can go with another brand intake like injen for example. Or you can buy a cheap ebay intake and use the piping and buy a nicer filter from any auto parts store and put it on the end of it.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Cruisin'

All 3 of us are FL folks huh...cool.

Yeah I know I paid too much. This was my first car so I didn't know too much about where/how to buy a car then. My next car will def be more researched and most likely NOT bought from a dealership.

Actually this car was an IMPULSE buy. lol - More on that below.

I'll check out those vendors. Thanks.

Pointless without pics? True - here's some for you.

What I failed to say when I made this thread is that once this one is paid off I plan to sell it and find an '03 CL-S. So pretty much all the mods will be done to that car. Just want to put the intake and maybe new wheels on this one in the mean time as they can both be easily placed on the new one.

I'm not sure if the transmission has been replaced or not, but it hasn't given me any problems yet so hopefully it stays that way.

And here's how I ended up with my car...

I went to a car sale through my parents credit union. The nicest car they had in my budget of $10K was a Mazda 626 with a smashed in drivers side armrest. I wisely opted out of that. Feeling down I decided to go check out what Carmax had to offer. We told the attendant we were just looking for something in my budget. He said to check the last two rows but not bother with anything closer. lol - Well I found some Ford Focus and really base model Civics. I don't care for any of those cars. So my older sister who was with me said lets just check out the other cars just for fun. I came to this one row and I spotted something that caught my eye. An RSX. Well I got inside and was really dissappointed how much the interior of the car was lacking in substance not to mention the $18K sticker price and way outta my spending capabilities. Parked right next to the RSX was a car I'd never really heard of before....the CL. I got inside and really like that the car had an actual interior unlike the RSX. Well the price was $14.5K. A bit outta my range but I got talked into taking it for a test drive. I fell in love with the way it handled and the power it had compared to other cars. We put the car on hold and left the dealership to eat and think it over a bit more. My credit wasn't good enough to buy on my own so after talking with my parents who were out of town we had is co-signed under my sisters name which would then be transferred a few days later to my dads name. Financed it through Carmax at like 18% but had that changed a few days later as well down to 6.5 through the credit union who had the car sale that had the 626 mazda. I ended up driving home the car that day with the biggest grin on my face for like the whole entire next week. lol

So after the 3 year warranty add on, tax, tag, and title it came to like $18,500 and now you know the story.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh...ok

goodluck with everything!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,024 Posts
AEM V2 is a waste of money, they are nothing special, save your money, get an ebay intake with a k&n filter on it