Finally got my 6MT on the road

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got my 6MT on the road

I finally put my CL-6MT on the road, but I noticed a problem on cold startup. At low revs the engine stutters and seems to have trouble taking gas. It throws a P0131 DTC. When the engine warms up or revs high it seems to work fine. The manual syas to check the PMC and the Bank 1 O2 sensor. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I have a used 02 sensor from a Honda Civic; will that work as a test?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Hey, give me some love back. I need the help.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the car has not been run in a while I would first start with Seafoam in the gas and run a bunch through the intake. Disassemble the throttle body and clean the shit out of the IAC valve and all other passages and butterfly with throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush. Search for DIY’s on how to do this. It will eliminate the possibility of a clogged IAC or plain dirty Throttle body plus it will clean up the sensors and motor.

That code you got is for the Primary Oxygen sensor as you figured out already. Check all the connections to make sure none are loose and then replace the O2 sensor with a new unit. I would try to steer away from the used part. The Acura primary O2 sensor at Autozone that will plug right up is only $50+. Same sensor. The secondary is the expensive one. Eliminate the problem now and you will know it is not the sensor if it continues. Since you got that code it is more than likely the Primary O2 sensor that has failed but this is how you need to get started figuring out what the problem is. If the car has been sitting for a long long time or has never had the plugs changed, I would do that also. Its also possible the gas has gone bad. That will happen if the gas has been sitting for to long or was contaminated from moisture etc. It is common on cars that have been sitting for a while. It is recomended that fuel stabalizer be added to the tank when the car will be sitting for long periods of time. All of these things can cause strange codes that are not what they seem. Good luck

Last edited by jproy; 05-05-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AcuraGman
I finally put my CL-6MT on the road, but I noticed a problem on cold startup. At low revs the engine stutters and seems to have trouble taking gas. It throws a P0131 DTC. When the engine warms up or revs high it seems to work fine. The manual syas to check the PMC and the Bank 1 O2 sensor. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I have a used 02 sensor from a Honda Civic; will that work as a test?
just wondering how long did it sit for and why?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Finally on the road

Originally Posted by jproy
Since the car has not been run in a while I would first start with Seafoam in the gas and run a bunch through the intake. Disassemble the throttle body and clean the shit out of the IAC valve and all other passages and butterfly with throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush. Search for DIY’s on how to do this. It will eliminate the possibility of a clogged IAC or plain dirty Throttle body plus it will clean up the sensors and motor.

That code you got is for the Primary Oxygen sensor as you figured out already. Check all the connections to make sure none are loose and then replace the O2 sensor with a new unit. I would try to steer away from the used part. The Acura primary O2 sensor at Autozone that will plug right up is only $50+. Same sensor. The secondary is the expensive one. Eliminate the problem now and you will know it is not the sensor if it continues. Since you got that code it is more than likely the Primary O2 sensor that has failed but this is how you need to get started figuring out what the problem is. If the car has been sitting for a long long time or has never had the plugs changed, I would do that also. Its also possible the gas has gone bad. That will happen if the gas has been sitting for to long or was contaminated from moisture etc. It is common on cars that have been sitting for a while. It is recomended that fuel stabalizer be added to the tank when the car will be sitting for long periods of time. All of these things can cause strange codes that are not what they seem. Good luck

Thanks Jproy, I'll get to it this week end.
I brought the car off an auction site and had some body repairs to do. I was driving my 02 CL (Automatic) while I took my time to repair the 6MT. Now it's on the road and I have some minor things that I notice only when you really drive it.
I'll post some pics real soon.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Advanced

TLC needed

Originally Posted by davepaul033
just wondering how long did it sit for and why?
It was probably sitting for 12 to 16 months. I brought it with only 75500 miles on it. Whoever had it before did the switcheroo on a lot of parts. I put it back together, changed the clutch and flywheel. She runs good but just needs a little more TLC.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Advanced

Finally on the road

Originally Posted by jproy

Jproy, when I remove the 2 bolts and 2 nuts from the TB, should it be real tight or is that the gasket holding it like that?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The gasket will hold it on like glue. You will need to pop it off with a sharp flat head screw driver. You will have to use gasket remover or brake parts cleaner to get the old gasket off and you will need a new one. Go to acuraoemparts.com to get it