Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Membistered Regember

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
DIY electronic exhaust cutout cool ideas, a little suggestions t00

I was thinking about getting one of these

MAGNAFLOW® 10783

And welding on, jury rigging one of these bad boys on

Drive by wire throttle body (electronic throttle body)

Here's some in action, the switchover is pretty instantaneous!

I couldn't find it, but there was a video where it was rigged up to a toggle/on off switch, and the person did it while the car was on/driving and the exhaust note change was instantaneous. It went as the button was pressed, seemed much faster than the usual cutouts you can buy.

However I have a few questions when I do this mod.
Here is my plan to wire it

exhaustcutout>on/offswitch>12v power (probably cigarette lighter, anything that turns off when car is off).

Ground will go to nearest good ground.

Is this safe to run this without any fuses or relays? Or should I go about adding some?

Please show me your flowcharts if you have a better idea

ex: cutout>fuse>switch>fuse>powersource?

or

cutout>relay>switch>powersource

thaNks! Happy moddin!
I'm using a drive by wire throttle body from an 06 chevy impala if that helps.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Im not sure how well a TB will stand up to the elements under the car and the exhaust pressure and temps, especially that close to the engine.

And YES you should use at minimum a fuse, you should ALWAYS use a fuse when hooking up something electrical.

This is how i would do
Power source/fuse/relay/cutout
Switched power to Switch, Switch to relay
The following users liked this post:
jaeravenal (02-21-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,024 Posts
please don't
Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 AM
Membistered Regember

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Im not sure how well a TB will stand up to the elements under the car and the exhaust pressure and temps, especially that close to the engine.

And YES you should use at minimum a fuse, you should ALWAYS use a fuse when hooking up something electrical.

This is how i would do
Power source/fuse/relay/cutout
Switched power to Switch, Switch to relay

Yeah I figured about the longevity of an electronic TB for this purpose, and thanks for the flowchart :0)
One person didn't last as long, but a person on youtube claimed his lasted 3 years.

I've been thinking about rigging a cable operated throttle body hooked up to the imrc somehow or the throttle pedal so it only opens during mid or high RPMS and is closed during low rpms for low end.

Also thinking about (if i go tthe drive by wire route) wiring the throttle body to open during vtec, similar how people wire in vtec lights? so its only opened during those high rpms.

so much thinking not enough time to apply!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Membistered Regember

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
please don't
DOlan plz stahp
Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by jaeravenal
DOlan plz stahp
Gooby pls
Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah I figured about the longevity of an electronic TB for this purpose, and thanks for the flowchart :0)
One person didn't last as long, but a person on youtube claimed his lasted 3 years.

I've been thinking about rigging a cable operated throttle body hooked up to the imrc somehow or the throttle pedal so it only opens during mid or high RPMS and is closed during low rpms for low end.

Also thinking about (if i go tthe drive by wire route) wiring the throttle body to open during vtec, similar how people wire in vtec lights? so its only opened during those high rpms.

so much thinking not enough time to apply!
TBs dont seal well enough for an exhaust purpose. If you were to do it, get an actual exhaust cutout. They are designed for the heat and seal tight so there arent exhaust leaks
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
97BlackAckCL (02-21-2013), civicdrivr (02-23-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh and for anyone running a stock CL/TL muffler, if you drill a 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hole next to your current exhaust pipe (exhaust tip side) and have a piece of exhaust pipe welded in to the hole, mount the cut out there then put a tip on, you will basically bypass the chambers of the muffler and make it more of a straight thru design that can open (under wot, rpm, etc) like the C6 corvette dual stage muffler. You will have to run 2 tips but you will get more flow and sound without the drone (when closed)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

TBs dont seal well enough for an exhaust purpose. If you were to do it, get an actual exhaust cutout. They are designed for the heat and seal tight so there arent exhaust leaks
this
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
i had two electric cut outs (not tb's) and destroyed both by being low. the teeth on the motor and gears also chipped off. im gonna get another cut out but with a cable that i pull. less hassle and more durable.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (02-26-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Membistered Regember

Originally Posted by Rajca
i had two electric cut outs (not tb's) and destroyed both by being low. the teeth on the motor and gears also chipped off. im gonna get another cut out but with a cable that i pull. less hassle and more durable.
Ah I see, that worries me :[ I'm looking into throttle body cable pull styles, I think it would be more durable too compared to electric. I alreayd spent 30 bucks on a drive by wire though
Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 AM
Membistered Regember

Oh and for anyone running a stock CL/TL muffler, if you drill a 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hole next to your current exhaust pipe (exhaust tip side) and have a piece of exhaust pipe welded in to the hole, mount the cut out there then put a tip on, you will basically bypass the chambers of the muffler and make it more of a straight thru design that can open (under wot, rpm, etc) like the C6 corvette dual stage muffler. You will have to run 2 tips but you will get more flow and sound without the drone (when closed)
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how this looks

the pipe before it turns into a Y to the dual mufflers? but after the mid muffler
(i'm stock exhaust)
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,144 Likes on 4,811 Posts
No, he means looking at the back of the car, look at the exhaust tip. Drill into the same "wall" that the tip comes out of and weld a new pipe + tip on that. That new tip bypasses the chambers, as he said. You'll also have quad tips for maximum vtechs.

Also, exhaust cutouts arent that expensive. Why bother ghetto rigging it just to do it all over again when the TB inevitably fails?

Last edited by civicdrivr; 02-23-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Membistered Regember

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
No, he means looking at the back of the car, look at the exhaust tip. Drill into the same "wall" that the tip comes out of and weld a new pipe + tip on that. That new tip bypasses the chambers, as he said. You'll also have quad tips for maximum vtechs.

Also, exhaust cutouts arent that expensive. Why bother ghetto rigging it just to do it all over again when the TB inevitably fails?

AH I see what you did thar now. Interesting. It's like de-mufflering without having to take off the mufflers. Butttttt
I want my car quiet when I want it, and loud when I want to go fast =[

I've heard many a story that e-exhaust cutouts don't last long and the motors turn too slow for my liking.

I've ghetto wired the drive by wire throttle body i ordered off of egay and it opens and closes instantaneously

I want to somehow rig it to Vtec the similar way that people make vtec light mods

the electrical current will only give power to open exhaust cutout when vtak kix in! yo!

Plus if the TB fails, I can always put a cable operated TB when it does, or rig the springs alread in the drive by wire TB

I alreayd opened up the DBW TB and its very similar to a regular cable TB,
the concept is very basic, you have a motor and a gear that spins this middle gear, in which in turns spins a 3rd gear that opens and closes the throtle body by flexing the spring or IDK how to explain

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
just don't do it. You're not making crazy power anyways. Save your money for something like headers.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Below is what the stock muffler looks like . Normal flow is the grey, with the cutout closed. With it open the exhaust (greenish color) is going to go the path of least resistance and go out the other tip. If its partially open it should go thru both and be somewhat baffled/reduced

Last edited by fsttyms1; 02-25-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Membistered Regember

Below is what the stock muffler looks like . Normal flow is the grey, with the cutout closed. With it open the exhaust (greenish color) is going to go the path of least resistance and go out the other tip. If its partially open it should go thru both and be somewhat baffled/reduced

Wow thanks Now I understand completely,
I would feel weird with the cutout installed on the muffler itself because it would look weird but

that is a genius idea for those who just have the cutout and not the motor so you just could pull over and plug it in whenever you want. I'm thinking to place the cutout after teh cats for an extreme sound
Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

the electrical current will only give power to open exhaust cutout when vtak kix in! yo!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Membistered Regember

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL

Lol i was hoping for a way
to open the exhaust cutout only during vtec by splicing the vtec wire power to the exhaust cutout

similar to those vtec light mods that turn on an LED or light during vtec
Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

[IMG]
Wow thanks Now I understand completely,
I would feel weird with the cutout installed on the muffler itself because it would look weird but

where it would be located not much of it should be visible, the bumper an exhaust tip would hide the majority of it
Lol i was hoping for a way
to open the exhaust cutout only during vtec by splicing the vtec wire power to the exhaust cutout

similar to those vtec light mods that turn on an LED or light during vtec
It could be wired very easily to activate with vtec. Personally i would have it hooked to the throttle position sensor to open at wot.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 AM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
You have chance to have best of both world check links below
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/comptech-header-rare-discontinued-cl-881920/

Try again this time be reasonable https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/custom-header-cutout-877719/