Anyone want to know how MaXPeedingRods coilovers are?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Anyone want to know how MaXPeedingRods coilovers are?

I shop online for a lot of car parts. I am always searching for things that are a good deal or maybe hard to find for cars like mine (03 Cl type s 6mt). Recently, I did a brand new engine in my cls6. It also got a new flywheel, clutch kit, control arms, and other new parts I know I’m forgetting. I try to use genuine parts when replacing things because I have up to this point and I am pretty invested in the car. One thing that just wasn’t a real option was new strut assemblies that were genuine. New strut assemblies, if buying Genuine Parts, are ~$375 each online if buying the full assemblies with the springs. Struts or coilovers, I had decided, were next on my list.

I had done a little shopping around online and had decided to either go with some aftermarket quick strut assemblies which came to around $400/set for a quality replacement brand or to take a chance on some budget coilovers. I didn’t want to spend $1000 on suspension. After looking online and doing some research, I could go with MaXpeedingRods coilovers for under $350 shipped. They looked good in photos and YouTube reviews of people who had tried them made them look solid. Could something at such a low price really be worth anything or were they just cheap inferior replacements? On the other hand, maybe the product is a great deal at a low price? I didn’t know anyone else who had tried them first hand and decided I would test them out.

I received my coilovers pretty quickly after the order was put in. They shipped from a US based warehouse and arrived in 5 calendar days. The packaging was very sturdy and they were protected well. The packaging was actually better than I expected when looking at it from the outside. You don’t get a brown box. The design and the brand name along with the color of the packaging isn’t what I expected from a set of sub $400 coilovers and can be compared to the packaging of higher dollar items. The first impression of the coilovers was that they appeared to be made well and nothing stood out that looked bad or low quality that I noticed. Actually it was the opposite. Everything looked quality. The coilovers that I got were the 98-02 Accord v6 / 99-03 TL / 01-03 CL fully adjustable coilovers which have the ability to adjust height and spring preload, and have 24 way damper adjustability.

The tools needed for the front are: 12mm, 14mm, 17mm and 19mm sockets to go with my ½”portable impact, a 17mm crescent wrench, needle nose pliers, and a pick or long flat screwdriver. You also need a 13mm and 15mm socket if using the supplied nuts for the top of the coilovers since the socket head size is different for the supplied hardware on the old parts.

To install the front coilovers you can start by loosening all of the nuts on the top hat holding the coilovers up to the strut tower and then undo the 17mm strut fork bolt and nut. Remove the outer tie rod nut and separate it from the knuckle. Remove the lower ball joint nut and separate the knuckle from the lower control arm. This should make enough room for the strut fork to be able to separate from the shock body. Remove the 14mm bolt holding the strut fork to the shock. Tap the side with a hammer and flathead if it is stuck. Once the fork is separated from the shock then remove the shock and insert the coilover into place by guiding the studs on the top hat through the holes on the strut tower. Get a couple of the nuts started on the top of the strut tower so that you don’t have to hold the coilover up. The knuckle can then be lifted up and set back into place with the ball joint stud going through the lower control arm. Once the ball joint is inserted through the lower control arm, the nut can be tightened. The outer tie rod can also be reattached to the knuckle and the nut can be tightened. The final steps are to lift the knuckle and lower control arm up either by hand or with a jack. While holding it into place lined up with the holes on the strut fork, the strut fork bolt can be re-inserted and the nut can be tightened back up. You can tighten the 14mm strut fork bolt back into place as the last step. Adjustments to height, spring preload and dampening can be made after the installation is complete and plenty of YouTube videos are online telling how to do this so I won’t get into that.

Going into this, I expected this would be a quick and easy installation. I would do a review on them that I felt could benefit others since I have heard a lot of questions about budget coilovers in general. The review would be done shortly. I just needed to install them and then drive on them for a little while.

The install could have went a little better for me in reality. It was no fault of the MaXpeedingRods coilovers. It was the old parts coming off and some human error that caused the issues. I had a cv axle pop out of the joint when removing the oem strut assembly which ended up turning into a greasy mess. After getting it back together and going to insert it back into the transmission, I noticed that the axle seal was destroyed. This was no good at 8:30 PM on a Saturday night.

I ended up leaving it on the lift until I was able to get my hands on an axle seal. Once I got back to working on it things went pretty well. Everything went back together nicely. My friend needed his lift for a customer at his shop so I set the coilover height pretty high not knowing what to expect and knowing I had to drive home with the oem stuff on the rear and coilovers up front. I didn’t want it to be completely uneven. The car actually ended up having the front end lifted higher than the rear which still had the OEM struts. It drove home and felt kind of bouncy but I hadn’t even attempted any type of adjustment so wasn’t concerned with how it felt yet.

For the rears the tools needed outside the car are: 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm sockets. I also needed a 14mm crescent wrench, a punch or long screwdriver,

And a 3” extension for the ½” impact gun.

Inside the car for the rears I needed a 10mm, 14mm, and 15mm (optional) socket along with a socket wrench and a Phillips screwdriver. The supplied hardware that came with the coilovers are 13mm and 15mm socket heads for the fronts and 15mm heads for the rears. I went ahead and used the included hardware since the quality looked good. The choice is there to reuse the old flange nuts from the oem struts if you prefer the 12mm or 14mm socket sizes. The included hardware looked better to me than the old so I used it.

The backseat had to come out in order to do the rears. To get the back seats out the manual says to remove the rear panels and rear deck however I found this to not be necessary. Remove the Seats. After they’re out, the old struts can be freed up by loosening two 14mm flange nuts on the top hats that have to be removed. Once the through bolt is removed from the lower suspension and strut eyelet, everything will be free. I had to remove a couple other nuts and bolts for the brake line stays to give the line more slack so that the old strut assembly would have enough room to be removed. The strut assembly barely fits through the control arms and knuckle. It took some finagling to get it free but wasn’t anything too difficult. I needed 10mm,, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm sockets. I also needed a punch or long screwdriver along with a 3” extension for the ½” impact gun.

Somehow I managed to thread the bolt in crooked that goes through the eyelet on the bottom of the rear drivers side coilover. I started it while it wasn’t quite lined up with the threads which resulted in badly damaged threads on the bolt and the nut which is welded onto a bracket on the other side of the knuckle. Luckily, I have a parts car that I removed the bracket and bolt from which saved me some time in the end.

I didn’t run into any more issues. I left all four coilovers set pretty high and had to play around a little to get the height right. I ended up lowering it just a little bit from stock. I have never liked the slammed look but I am sure these coilovers could get you pretty low if that is your goal. There’s enough adjustability left to set it on the ground if you wanted to. Don’t put the rear seat back in like I did at first. You will need to be able to reach the knobs in the center of the strut rods to set the dampening to your preference.

Out of the box, the coilovers are on the softest setting and the nuts on the tops of the strut rods Aren’t torqued. Before driving, I recommend tightening the strut rod nuts using an 8mm crescent wrench to hold the area under the dampening adjustment knobs still and an 18mm crescent wrench to turn the strut rod nuts until they’re as tight as you can get them.

I went on the first drive which was about a 2hr round trip the day after finishing up. The car was smooth but the ride was too bouncy for me. It reminded me of riding in an 80s Buick or something. The adjusting knobs are 24 way adjustable where you can turn them clockwise to stiffen up and counterclockwise to soften the ride. I found the ride that I wanted, which was pretty stiff, to be with the damper adjusters set on 21/24 in the front and 17/24 for the rear. After you find the stiffness desired then the rear seat can be reinstalled. Minor adjustments can be made, if needed, by lifting the rear seat back up and reaching an arm around the side of the cushion - without having to remove the rear seats

After driving the car for 3 weeks in various different scenarios, I can only say good things about these. And for the money you just can’t do any better. I have new wheels coming soon that are 18” and I am glad I have the adjustability there to adjust for the different size. One reason I ran the oem struts for so long is because they ride good and I also never have been big on going low like a lot of people I see. I was concerned it would lower the car too much and I really didn’t care to lower it more than an inch or so. These have such a large range they can be adjusted to to fit anyone’s liking. Another concern was that the coilovers would be too soft for my CL type-s which uses stiffer suspension than the base models and 6th gen accords. I like them to ride pretty stiff and found that with the adjustment knobs set at 21/24 front and 17/24 rear, the car rides and handles how I want it. I don’t see a need to make them stiffer or softer and expect to keep them where they are now. On a base model cl or tl some people might prefer them a little softer than how I have them. On an accord I imagine setting them around the middle setting of 12/24 would be just right to be comparable to OEM.

The materials used to make the coilovers seems to be of good quality. The manufacturing appears to have been done properly with good welds. A nice, corrosion resistant paint finish was used. You don’t have to be worried about the salt eating away at them any time soon. The boot on the strut rod seemed to be of good quality as well and fit snug and properly so it wont stretch when the strut moves. The rubber used for the strut rod bushing and the top hat insulating rubber seems to be of good quality and feels firm but still prevents the shocks of bumps in the road from being felt while driving. I’ve seen some suspension parts from other brands that have a softer rubber that allows too much play in the suspension.

The feel is better than the OEM strut assemblies that I took off the car. The OEM struts weren’t bad yet but the coil spring insulators were starting to wear out to the point where I could feel bumps in the road more than I should at times. I will get a set of these for my 1999 Tl also if I end up keeping that car. I like the look better even though it’s just a minor drop and the ride is better than I expected. I recommend these to anyone looking for adjustability whether it is someone looking to slam the car or someone who just wants to lower it a tiny bit. I also think these are a smart buy for many 6th gen accord, 2nd gen TL and 2nd gen CL owners who have cars that are getting up there in age and simply need a replacement that will fit and feel like the oem did. These could be set at the stock ride height and dialed in so that the dampening feels the same as the original equipment. I feel like if someone is considering coilovers, the adjustable dampening is a must. There isn’t any other way to dial things in to the desired stiffness and everyone has different tastes and setups. The coilovers also fit three different models of which there is a base model and a type s that uses different suspension settings from the factory. Full adjustability is really the only way that a set of coilovers can fit these different cars.

It’s definitely worth checking out MaXpeedingRods for anyone who hasn’t ever heard of them. As some of you who know me are aware, I recently opened a small business selling different things related to J series engines and models that used a j series engine. I have had my eyes out for products that I could sell and might could get the opportunity to sell on my website Jswapshop.com. I have been impressed with the MaXPeedingRods brand enough that I will be looking into becoming a dealer of their products. It isn’t only coilovers they stock. They have all sorts of parts for different makes and models. I will update the review if anything unforeseen happens or if anything worth noting takes place with the coilovers but they do seem like a solid choice for the daily drivers and light performance drivers out there that may be in the market for something decent that won’t break the bank. Here is a link to the coilovers that were installed on my car and mentioned in my write up:

LINK TO THE COILOVERS USED IN THIS REVIEW - Click to View

Screenshot of the coilovers on their website

Coilovers are delivered

Nice looking box

I hope the coilovers look as good as the packaging

Engraved Top hat

A+ packaging

Looking good

Rear coilover

Just removed wheels to get started

The old

Strut fork disconnected from lower arm

Out with the old

Strut is almost free

Side by side

That wasn’t part of the plan. Why was that axle removed anyways? That’s not part of the job!

In with the new

Finishing up the fronts

Strut tower

Damper adjustment knob close up

Engine bay

The old rear

This bracket gets unbolted and pivots out of the way

Out with the old - rear

Rear side by side

It’s too hot out to be working on interior removal

Finally!

In with the new - rear

Prior to height adjustment

Running out of daylight

Looking better

Who’s cls6 is that?

Last edited by Jonathan Hill; 05-18-2021 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:27 PM
I am dumb

Received 206 Likes on 166 Posts
They've tried shilling their product to me and others on this site, saying that if we type out a review for them that they would send out a product for free. I personally don't trust them for the price they are, but it's nice to see some one who has them installed and using them.
I'd like to here how well they stand up long term.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Has anyone on here had a bad experience from any of their products? I don’t post on here that often but to me that sounds like they are just trying to get someone to try their stuff so that maybe they can sell some more things to owners of Acura’s. I was skeptical of the price at first as well only because of the low price. So far I have had no issues and actually like the way the coilovers handle. They are able to be set firm enough for the cls6. Time will tell how the quality is I guess but they advertise them with a two year warranty. Either they are confident that they make something that isn’t going to fail or they don’t mind sending out replacements when they do. I will find out soon enough I guess but so far feel like I got a bargain.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:14 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by Jonathan Hill
Has anyone on here had a bad experience from any of their products? I don’t post on here that often but to me that sounds like they are just trying to get someone to try their stuff so that maybe they can sell some more things to owners of Acura’s. I was skeptical of the price at first as well only because of the low price. So far I have had no issues and actually like the way the coilovers handle. They are able to be set firm enough for the cls6. Time will tell how the quality is I guess but they advertise them with a two year warranty. Either they are confident that they make something that isn’t going to fail or they don’t mind sending out replacements when they do. I will find out soon enough I guess but so far feel like I got a bargain.
It's more than likely a start up company trying to weasel their way into the market. I'd imagine if they really are good and start gaining popularity, the prices will rise. I've never heard of them, but I also don't go looking for a bunch of different obscure companies who make parts for our cars.
You're pretty much the guinea pig here on how well they'll hold up. So update the thread with info in the future if something, or nothing, happens. I still haven't lowered my car, so if they really are as good as you say they are, I might think about grabbing some.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
They contacted me to do a review. I was kinda leaning towards saying no because i didnt want to intall and align the car to a cheapo setup that no one knew about.
I gave in and agreed after emailing back and forth wasting so much of my time anwering theyre same questions over and over only for them to reply to my last email saying they have no warehouse in Canada.
Obviously they contacted many people and just took the first review they could get.
Wasting peoples time is not a good way to get your name out.
So for my Maxpeedingrods review i give 0 stars and wouldnt buy theyre sh*et even if it was decent because i could just imagine the stupid excuses they would have when they fail.

But with that out of the way i do hope they serve you well and they dont waste your time as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by 613CLS:
Thefireball (05-22-2021), thoiboi (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,692 Likes on 6,706 Posts
Originally Posted by 613CLS
They contacted me to do a review. I was kinda leaning towards saying no because i didnt want to intall and align the car to a cheapo setup that no one knew about.
I gave in and agreed after emailing back and forth wasting so much of my time anwering theyre same questions over and over only for them to reply to my last email saying they have no warehouse in Canada.
Obviously they contacted many people and just took the first review they could get.
So for my Maxpeedingrods review i give 0 stars and wouldnt buy theyre sh*et even if it was decent because i could just imagine the stupid excuses they would have when they fail.

But with that out of the way i do hope they serve you well and they dont waste your time as well.

ouch is this true @MaXpeedingRods @Yustina@MaXpeedingRods
Old 05-22-2021, 03:17 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
Oooooo
Old 05-27-2021, 04:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 613CLS

@613CLS Maybe any words may not change your mind. As we explain in the email, there are indeed some misunderstand in the conversation. because the staff is a newer who just joined the company one week. In fact, she attach great importance to cooperating with you, you know that, she replyed to you with her private time in weekend. And it is true that she didn't know that we just establised the CA warehouse this month. That's why you get the reply "we have no warehouse in Canada". If she give some explanation in the conversation, you may more easier to accept. Personally, things would go better if we give some time for a person to grow also a brand to grow.

I hope you good!
Old 05-27-2021, 04:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thefireball
It's more than likely a start up company trying to weasel their way into the market. I'd imagine if they really are good and start gaining popularity, the prices will rise. I've never heard of them, but I also don't go looking for a bunch of different obscure companies who make parts for our cars.
You're pretty much the guinea pig here on how well they'll hold up. So update the thread with info in the future if something, or nothing, happens. I still haven't lowered my car, so if they really are as good as you say they are, I might think about grabbing some.
To ensure that someone may want to know MaXpeedingRods brand, I'd like to give some introductions here.

Established in 2006, MaXpeedingRods is an aftermarket auto parts manufacturer that specializes in conrods, turbos, coilovers and other accessories. We've accumulated over 4 million customers in the world during these years. As you can see, we started to cooperate with platforms like Acurazine Forum to build this brand. It has grown up in a positive direction.

There are voices on the Internet saying that we only sell cheap products, but the reason is that all our products are produced in our own factories, and sold directly bypassing distributors. That's why our products are comparatively lower than other brands.

MaXpeedingRods started its business with a set of conrods 15 years ago. In the future, we will still aim to manufacture higher quality products both for daily replacement or track use. But on the other hand, to make sure that those modification lovers with a tight budget have access to our parts, the price will still be relatively appropriate. It is our initial intention.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
It's hard to persuade about what everybody think about, because it is too self driven most of the time.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:40 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by Yustina@MaXpeedingRods
It's hard to persuade about what everybody think about, because it is too self driven most of the time.
I've got a little more respect for your brand after coming in here and defending for yourself. But you could have had a better start had you started a thread in the 'new members introduction', or even a thread on here I feel.
The shameless shilling in PMs left a bad taste in my mouth is all.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Thefireball
I've got a little more respect for your brand after coming in here and defending for yourself. But you could have had a better start had you started a thread in the 'new members introduction', or even a thread on here I feel.
The shameless shilling in PMs left a bad taste in my mouth is all.
Have you seen any of their 'vendor' threads?

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community - Search Results
Old 05-27-2021, 06:56 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by zeta
Have you seen any of their 'vendor' threads?

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community - Search Results
Now I have. I've got some reading to do.
What's weird is that I just checked their profile at all threads they've started and replied to, and it only came up with a few. I just checked it again, and they have a lot of of posts and threads nows. Don't know what that was about, but that's why I mentioned the other section.

Last edited by Thefireball; 05-27-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:03 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Yustina@MaXpeedingRods
@613CLS Maybe any words may not change your mind. As we explain in the email, there are indeed some misunderstand in the conversation. because the staff is a newer who just joined the company one week. In fact, she attach great importance to cooperating with you, you know that, she replyed to you with her private time in weekend. And it is true that she didn't know that we just establised the CA warehouse this month. That's why you get the reply "we have no warehouse in Canada". If she give some explanation in the conversation, you may more easier to accept. Personally, things would go better if we give some time for a person to grow also a brand to grow.

I hope you good!
ITs all good people make mistakes.
HOpefully we can get some updates on the longevity of your product from this thread.
Im sure like most people if im gonna do it i want to do it once because just as the parts are expensive so is our time.
The following users liked this post:
Thefireball (05-27-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 03:58 AM
Instructor

Update!!

I have nothing new to report. I haven’t had to touch the coilovers. Still holding up for me. Got some new wheels though... probably the most expensive wheels I could have gotten to go with the least expensive coilovers lol. I got a deal I couldn’t pass on from a vendor on a new set.

Mugen xJ 18” wheels with 235 40 18 Ohtsu tires

Thefireball (06-04-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 01:25 AM
Instructor

Update:

Still working as they should without issues…
Thefireball (07-06-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 12:22 PM
CL-S 6Speed is rarely in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Different Car but....

I own a CL-S since 07,I didn't buy these for my car. However, I did purchase a set of Maxpeedingrods coilovers for my 1993 3000gt. What a nightmare. On stock ride high setting, the thread adjustment was so was out that I didn't feel comfortable they wouldn't snap hitting a bump. The two sections of the coilovers had about three threads holding them together. In order to have any real stability the amount of threads required put the car 4 inches lower that stock. This was obviously not acceptable. I contacted them for a return and this is where the fun begins....

First they said "we can offer you 50$ and you keep them." NO
Second they said "we can offer you 75$ and you keep them." again...NO
Third offer was for 100$.

After explaining 4 times how they don't fit properly and are not safe to use, they gave me an address to return them too. The address is in New Jersey about 30 minutes from me. Shipping to the address was 85$!!! So I drove them to the address. The guy there told me they are not affiliated with Maxpeedingrods at all. He told me once they receive the items (from apparently multiple companies), they inform them seller and either sell off the items in large bulk auctions or throw them away!!! THEN.... They would not take the item from me! I gave them the original bill of sale, the original shipping information and all my info. So, here I am, stuck with garbage and no money back. BUYER BEWARE
The following 2 users liked this post by Beavisboots:
613CLS (07-10-2021), Thefireball (07-10-2021)