Wobble from front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:12 AM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Wobble from front end

Since day one my car felt like I had an oval front left tire. The dealer rebalanced and it never fixed the problem. The dealer then told me ALL TLXs have some degree of the wobble I attacking about which is felt at all speeds, but very heavy to where the visors shake above 70 mph.

The problem is getting worse. I have gotten aftermarket wheels and tires thinking that if I did have an unbalanced tire then the new tires and wheels would be the solution since they would be freshly balanced. Well it did not fix the problem and now it seems to get worse and worse everytime I drive.

What could it be if not a tire or wheel? I also just had it aligned as well so I have all the easy stuff checked off.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Wobble in what sense? Do you feel it with the steering wheel or the whole cabin?

I don't feel any wobble at any speeds.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by sincitytsx
The dealer then told me ALL TLXs have some degree of the wobble I attacking about which is felt at all speeds, but very heavy to where the visors shake above 70 mph.
Seriously? I can't even imagine being told something like that about my brand new car, and wouldn't trust any diagnosing that they did.

If this occurs only while braking, and you feel it in the steering wheel, I'd get the front brakes checked. If it's all the time, and independent of braking, I'd suspect a bent wheel, or unbalanced setup. Did you get the wheels roadforce balanced by a reliable place?

Wouldn't affect your stock wheels, but since you are now running aftermarket wheels, are you running hub centric rings?

Swapping the wheels front to back will help isolate the wheels if the vibration moves from the steering wheel to under your butt, or vice versa.

If you do that and still have the issue, it's time to visit a different dealer

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 10-04-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Pro

Yes hub rings are being run. Yes it was road forced on a hunter machine. They can't be rotated front to back as they are staggered.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Since day one my car felt like I had an oval front left tire. The dealer rebalanced and it never fixed the problem. The dealer then told me ALL TLXs have some degree of the wobble I attacking about which is felt at all speeds, but very heavy to where the visors shake above 70 mph.

The problem is getting worse. I have gotten aftermarket wheels and tires thinking that if I did have an unbalanced tire then the new tires and wheels would be the solution since they would be freshly balanced. Well it did not fix the problem and now it seems to get worse and worse everytime I drive.

What could it be if not a tire or wheel? I also just had it aligned as well so I have all the easy stuff checked off.
You must have been talking to joeflewbyu2 The wobble is your fault for being ignorant.

My car has no wobble... until the LKAS kicks in. Did you look at your front rotors? Did they look at the wheel bearings?
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Pro

It's a new car, rotors are fine as it doesn't wobble when braking. It's a common TLX problem. And has not been narrowed down yet.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
You must have been talking to joeflewbyu2 The wobble is your fault for being ignorant.

My car has no wobble... until the LKAS kicks in. Did you look at your front rotors? Did they look at the wheel bearings?
no...the wobble is a design feature. Some cars you have to pay extra for this.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by quantum7
no...the wobble is a design feature. Some cars you have to pay extra for this.
I understand that, I am not stupid, not to mention a gear head. My car does not even have LKAS. That and I have owned 3 previous a iras with LKAS and know quite well how it works.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
It's a common TLX problem. And has not been narrowed down yet.
Interesting - I've been reading this forum since before I got my TLX in Feb and I'm sure every negative thing about the automobile has been posted here, many times over.

But I've not heard of this wobble being a common TLX problem. Just amazing .
Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by wlkeel
Interesting - I've been reading this forum since before I got my TLX in Feb and I'm sure every negative thing about the automobile has been posted here, many times over.

But I've not heard of this wobble being a common TLX problem. Just amazing .

I don't know if you're being sarcastic...... But here is a link with several pages of people with the same or similar complaint. Actually it's one bread above this one:

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...lating-930607/
Old 10-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Summer is Coming

I don't know if you're being sarcastic...... But here is a link with several pages of people with the same or similar complaint. Actually it's one bread above this one:

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...lating-930607/
That is a different issue. They are talking about a vibration in the rear. Yours is from the front wheel.
The following users liked this post:
wlkeel (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 07:07 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
^^^
Exactly! Different problem.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Pro

That is a different issue. They are talking about a vibration in the rear. Yours is from the front wheel.
Well I read every post, unlike a couple here must not have done apparently. There certainly are people complaining about feeling it in the steering wheel as well as the seat. So this is indicative of what I am experiencing. Do you want to chastise me over some granular BS or contribute to a large community by assisting with an inherent problem.

Good God do we not have better things to do than criticize over some unimportant technicality.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
One of the common reasons for vibration is the VCM (not LKAS). On the V6 TLXs, VCM will drop 3 cylinders when running under low-load, like highway driving. You can see if this is your issue by putting the car into Sport+ mode on the highway. VCM apparently doesn't kick in when in this mode. If the vibration goes away, that's it. If not, it's likely something else.

The bad news is that if it is VCM, there's nothing that can be done. I have occasionally noticed a very slight vibration, but only on some road surfaces, and it's consistent on the same stretches of highway. This is my first car with VCM, and honestly I rarely even notice it.

Hopefully this helps. No one here means to get under your skin. However, it seems there's a few folks here that either harp on any issue and say the TLX is crap (including those that don't even own one) or there's others that say those having issues are full of crap. Everyone has different experiences with their cars. Some are having more challenging issues than others - your vibration may be very bad. I'm simply saying mine isn't really noticeable.

That said, if a dealer told me this sort of issue was common on all TLXs, I'd be looking for a new dealer. That's a cop-out and they obviously aren't interested in your ownership experience after the sale.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:19 AM
Summer is Coming

Well I read every post, unlike a couple here must not have done apparently. There certainly are people complaining about feeling it in the steering wheel as well as the seat. So this is indicative of what I am experiencing. Do you want to chastise me over some granular BS or contribute to a large community by assisting with an inherent problem.

Good God do we not have better things to do than criticize over some unimportant technicality.
Boy you have thin skin don't you. Who was 'chastising' you? Only in your imagination. A vibration coming from the front of the car vice the rear is not some 'unimportant technicality' as you pointed out yourself. Your insistence on conflating the two issues is not 'contributing to a large community.' The best way to identify and resolve issues like this is to be technically accurate.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Boy you have thin skin don't you. Who was 'chastising' you? Only in your imagination. A vibration coming from the front of the car vice the rear is not some 'unimportant technicality' as you pointed out yourself. Your insistence on conflating the two issues is not 'contributing to a large community.' The best way to identify and resolve issues like this is to be technically accurate.
My personal belief is that he is correct. The TLX V6 I drove on the highway felt as if there were aero-buffeting from the rear, yet the steering wheel shook. Having driven for over 5 decades and being a mechanical engineer, I felt sure it was a resonance problem of some kind - and quite unlike any other vehicle of my experience.

It obviously was not tires, that feels quite different. So I attributed it to poor mitigation of structural resonances from whatever cause. It's like an electronic CAD design that never went through prototype R&D, but directly to production, which is happening more and more to save costs. They think they have it all scienced out, but my experience, and many others here on AZ who have had up to a half-dozen sets of tires but no resolution of the shakes, seems to suggest otherwise.

So now, the common cause most cited on AZ seems to revolve around VCM roughness in 3 cylinder mode. At least, that is the concensus of guesses, since Acura deems poor shifting and the shakes as normal operation. Sure there are TSBs for this and that, maybe it'll fix your problem, maybe not, but the general lack of interest from the manufacturer is off-putting.

It may now be a corporate trademark behavior, unfortunately. Google Edmunds and 2015 CR-V for outraged customers going on about the shakes at low rpm. The usual apologists pop out of the woodwork to deny the experiences of actual owners, as if they were all dopes or something. However, it's like reading TripAdvisor reviews - half of them are shills paid to have an extraordinary electronic experience separate from reality and to always award five stars.

I've been quite clear that the faults I found on mere test drives of all the versions of the TLX prevented me buying one. So I have no skin in the game. But, and it's a big BUT, I've never experienced such an underdeveloped car before, which is why I joined AZ. I wanted to see if Acura knew what was going on, because the situation is very intriguing to me.

Now, a full year later, it is apparent that nothing has really been resolved. Buying a TLX is a crap-shoot as to whether you get the shakes or not. Even then, one commenter said he had no problems until tire rotation at first service. That is evidence of structural resonance that is only just being suppressed until one little thing is changed enough to tune the system into misbehavior. The tires themselves do not go out of balance from mere rotation to another axle.

So I do not see that disagreement on whether the shakes seem to emanate from the front or the rear of the car is of much utility. People's perceptions vary wildly to the same stimulus, that is well-known. That there is a shake, you agree on. Move forward from that rather than dissing each other on unimportant points of perception, or Acura will divide and conquer and never solve the problem.

My two cents which you can take as you will.