Low, grinding transmission noise on 2009 SH-AWD help:

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low, grinding transmission noise on 2009 SH-AWD help:

I just bot this car a few weeks ago. One owner lease, only 22k miles. The one problem is that when I am going 20-30 miles an hour in traffic, and slowly accelerate it makes this low, grinding, rattling noise. Any other speed or acceleration feels smooth. I had a 2004 TL that had the tranny go at about 100k from those notorious problems with that generation, so I am kinda worried. Good news is full warranty is stillin effect for another year.

So, anyone else have this problem?? I guess I need to her it checked out.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 PM
2021 TLX SH-AWD Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it more of a vibration or rattle than a grinding noise? Like the car is in too low of a gear? If so chances are it's the torque converter.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Intermediate

Yes it sounds like the car is in too low of gear. And this happens in stop and go traffic on
The highway mainly. I also just read up about using the S mode for this situation. If that fixes it, then I guess I don't need to take it in, but I still think it is unusual even for D mode. What do you think?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:10 PM
2021 TLX SH-AWD Tech

It's definitely unusual and a problem Acura is aware of. Mine did the same thing. The dealership replaced my torque converter under warranty and problem is solved. I def wouldn't settle for using S mode. It does help but isn't a permanent fix.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

Ok thank Jay. I am taking it in regardless and will mention the torque converter.

City driving, normal acceleration highway driving is fine and smooth. Just that slow acceleration from 20-30mph range causes it.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I experienced same prob. Went to 2 dealers. Told
Me use S mode. Not happy. Let us knw if they replace the TC. Drivin me nuts.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Will do. Gonna try to get it in Friday. Also will use S mode tomorrow and will report back.

Is there any write up about this problem somewhere? I want some ammo if the dealers don't help. I'm surprised they told u to use S mode...I would be pissed.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 PM
2021 TLX SH-AWD Tech

A lot of people have had problems with dealerships and this issue. My advise is to schedule a test drive with a tech. Tell him you believe it is the torque converter then duplicate the noise on the drive. That's what I did and they replaced it without any hassle whatsoever.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
I had the same issue with my 09. Took it in and had the torque converter replaced, but it seems to be doing it again after several months. Anyone have to have it done twice?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Intermediate

I was wondering that, if the problem is the TC and even thou they replace it, is it the same type TC that will have the same problems?? This sounds like ur should have been recalled.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have not experienced this problem with my 09 TL .I tried to duplicate the shutter by slowing down as much as I could while it top gear, and not issue. I guess not everyone is having this issue.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Intermediate

After more research online this seems to be an issue with the SH-AWD. While not widespread, it does seem to be more common that not.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallasboy
After more research online this seems to be an issue with the SH-AWD. While not widespread, it does seem to be more common that not.
There are a couple of threads on this forum about this issue. SH-AWD version has a vibration at about 1400-1600 rpm that feels like the car is in too low a gear and is lugging. Several people have had the TC replaced with good results.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIneuron
There are a couple of threads on this forum about this issue. SH-AWD version has a vibration at about 1400-1600 rpm that feels like the car is in too low a gear and is lugging. Several people have had the TC replaced with good results.
Yea, I found a bunch more threads last night. I posted this one right when I signed up. Looks like mine is the exact same thing (TC), and calling this afternoon to get it in.

I did use S mode today on the way into work, and the vibrations are less.

When in D, at about 25mph, and then slowly accelerate...it makes an awful low grinding noise and rattle, so should be easy to recreate with a Tech.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Hanger Bearing
Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Hanger Bearing
You think it is the hanger bearing?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Torque converter all the way!!!ine was replaced a month ago, problem solved!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sdelia
Torque converter all the way!!!ine was replaced a month ago, problem solved!
Mine was replaced about 4 months ago. Problem solved then problem returned.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Got it scheduled for Friday morning. Lady was nice, but just a CSR, but she inputted into the system about the TC and wanting a Tech to drive with me...so hopefully this will go OK.

On a second note, I am already addicted to this site ;-)
Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Not happy for you SH-AWD guys, but one of the reasons I did not want or need AWD was problems. the RL I drove had bearing issues with whining noises. I hope acura gets this sorted out and not just do a bandaid fix.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone have to PAY to have their torque converter replaced? Guesstimate of that expense? I'm still under warranty, just curious though in case...??
Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 PM
2021 TLX SH-AWD Tech

The torque converter is over $400. It's a days labor plus an alignment. I would be willing to bet the grand total is somewhere around $1,000-$1,200.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
Very interesting. my 09 awd with tech has the same problem. I got this car last week Wednesday. Just out of curiosity for the past 3 or so days i tested to see if my car would encounter the same problem, and sure enough it does. At around 30-35mph at low acceleration, i hear a rattling/grinding noise that almost sounds like a rattling heat shield. Calling the dealership tomorrow morning to set up an appointment. I will also tell them that i suspect its the TC.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

Took the car in Friday, drove with the service manager and recreated the problem...he noticed it. Got a call Monday, saying he and the tech and shop manager drove it and could not recreate it, so I had to go back up yesterday and drive with the actual tech. I was able to recreate it, but only about 50% of how bad it can get. He noticed it and I have mentioned over and over about the TC. He said he wasn't familiar with the TL's having this problem but the MDX's do?? Anyways, he has to know exactly what the problem is with a computer readout or something in order for Acura to approve the fix. So I am waiting to hear back now. Didn't think it would be such an ordeal, but they have been nice. In fact when I was talking with the service manager on Friday he pulled up a screen that described the exact problem, so I thought this should be a no brainer. If they balk, I am taking it to another dealer in town.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM
2021 TLX SH-AWD Tech

Took the car in Friday, drove with the service manager and recreated the problem...he noticed it. Got a call Monday, saying he and the tech and shop manager drove it and could not recreate it, so I had to go back up yesterday and drive with the actual tech. I was able to recreate it, but only about 50% of how bad it can get. He noticed it and I have mentioned over and over about the TC. He said he wasn't familiar with the TL's having this problem but the MDX's do?? Anyways, he has to know exactly what the problem is with a computer readout or something in order for Acura to approve the fix. So I am waiting to hear back now. Didn't think it would be such an ordeal, but they have been nice. In fact when I was talking with the service manager on Friday he pulled up a screen that described the exact problem, so I thought this should be a no brainer. If they balk, I am taking it to another dealer in town.
If they give you any more hassle over it I'd definitely take it to another dealership. It's obviously an issue with SHAWD models given the numerous threads/posts about it on here. My shop was familiar with the issue on the TL and there was no hassle or issues getting it diagnosed and replaced. I drove it with the tech and told him I believed the issue to be the TC, tech took the car back into the shop and 30 minutes later I was told they were ordering a TC and would call me when it arrived. That easy.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Pro

Have them call their tech line, or whatever they call it. My dealer said they were able to get confirmation on the issue by calling in to validate. Print out a few of the threads, too.

If they give you even the slightest bit of issue on this, move on. It is an indication on how they'll work with you on everything.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hogan9166
Have them call their tech line, or whatever they call it. My dealer said they were able to get confirmation on the issue by calling in to validate. Print out a few of the threads, too.

If they give you even the slightest bit of issue on this, move on. It is an indication on how they'll work with you on everything.
He said he had to call it in so maybe that is what he is doing. Like I said, after my drive with the service manager on Friday, he read verbatim on his computer screen my exact problem....so it's in the damn Acura system, at least the one he uses. He kept saying it was out of his hands and the tech has to approve...which I think I proved it to him yesterday anyways.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Pro

He said he had to call it in so maybe that is what he is doing. Like I said, after my drive with the service manager on Friday, he read verbatim on his computer screen my exact problem....so it's in the damn Acura system, at least the one he uses. He kept saying it was out of his hands and the tech has to approve...which I think I proved it to him yesterday anyways.
He used an interesting choice of words. If the ultimate plan isn't that they'll cover it under warranty, i would be very skeptical.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

So Acura agreed it was that TC (surprise surprise). I found out the tech had to take electronic snaps shots of the car when this was happening, and had to send those to Acura in order for them to make the decision. Anyways, been a mini-hassle but glad they agreed. TC being put in today, should be ready tomorrow and I'll report back on how it is driving then.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
Thats great Dallsboy. I took mine in on Wednesday, dealership said the tech couldn't recreate the problem, and said i wont have any problems driving it. I told them i could recreate it, they said to bring it in on my next oil change and ask to drive with a tech. Guess i'll have to do that.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Illuminati
Thats great Dallsboy. I took mine in on Wednesday, dealership said the tech couldn't recreate the problem, and said i wont have any problems driving it. I told them i could recreate it, they said to bring it in on my next oil change and ask to drive with a tech. Guess i'll have to do that.
Yup, I drove it first with the service manager and he definitely noticed it, then got the run around a bit, but in the end the tech has to be the one in the car...so get the tech in the car first and should be no problem.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

Well turn of events. Manager called and says they replaced the TC and now the vibration happens in the 30mph range. It was in the 25mph range before. So he said they will run more tests Monday and promises it will be resolved. I almost think this is just part of a bad design. Even if the replace the TC, it may just come back. I'll update next week. Ugh.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2009 TL-Tech. About 5 mos ago mine started making a slight grinding noise only when I started acceleration in first gear. Took it in they told me it was the transmission linkage. They fixed it and it was good for about 4 mos. Then it started again and I also noticed a small "oil" leak in the driveway one morning but when I came home the leak was gone. checked under the car, didnt see a leak. Took the car in last week to have them change the oil and check the tranny noise again. They ended up having my car for 9 days: Total transmission and drive shaft replacement. Having a warranty was a great thing!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 PM
4th Gear

Btw, was told by one of 2 techs that worked it the leak was caused by a bad shaft seal but the shaft had issues. When I asked him what the noise was in the tranny he said and 2 other techs couldnt tell what it was, but it wasn't the linkage.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:37 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by exonomix
Anyone have to PAY to have their torque converter replaced? Guesstimate of that expense? I'm still under warranty, just curious though in case...??

Just got my 09 TL (still under warranty) back after taking it in with a slight "grinding" noise. They replaced tranny, drive shaft and torque converter. Drives like a dream, no more noise either.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lakersfan32
Just got my 09 TL (still under warranty) back after taking it in with a slight "grinding" noise. They replaced tranny, drive shaft and torque converter. Drives like a dream, no more noise either.
Did you get a new warranty with the new tranny?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Update. Manager called this morning and said it is running like a "dream". So I asked what else they did and they did more electronic tests, sent those to Acura, and they said everything looks fine and to tighten up the TC and mounts. So I pick it up tomorrow morning....I am still a little weary about it, but hopefully it is truly fixed and they aren't trying to get rid of me ;-)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Happy to report that the car is running great and no issues now. I get very little vibration at the 20-25mph, but if I wasn't so paranoid about it I wouldn't even notice and nothing like it was before. Thanks for all the help! And this is an issue Acura knows about, so for those with same problems you need to hound these guys and drive it with a Tech.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Just got back from the dealer and there is a recall on this issue. They are going to be updating the software for my car.
The following users liked this post:
computecker (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 03:06 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bobby39
Just got back from the dealer and there is a recall on this issue. They are going to be updating the software for my car.
It is true! There is a new (1 week) TSB (# B12-029) about this problem. We will receive a recall letter and the torque converter will receive an extended warrantly of 8 years 105K miles.

Quick Reply: Low, grinding transmission noise on 2009 SH-AWD help: