Low, grinding transmission noise on 2009 SH-AWD help:

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, new warranty on entire transmission.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
So let me try to understand this. There is a service bulletin to update the software. Some have done that. For some it didn't work out. So, they replaced also the TC. Then for some that didn't work out either.

I am experiencing the same issue. Now, before I head out to the Acura dealership, anyone knows if Canadian VINs are included or did they leave us out?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM
9th Gear

Judder

This was a question i posted a couple of years ago and the response was the transmission could use another gear. I never thought that to be accurate because why would a new car shudder and vibrate when driving.
I received my notice about this issue yesterday and made the appointment to get it fixed.
I wonder what it will be like to drive this car without what they called in the notice, a "judder".
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Update to my previous post in this thread: The Canadian models are also covered and Honda/Acura Canada is aware of the issue. So, go get your software updated at a dealer. If that doesn't work out well, and a tech verifies that the issue still persists (my guess the TC can't be saved and has gone beyond the point of no return - lol), then they'll install a new TC. The same TSB that applies to the US applies also to Canada. It is so nice for Honda/Acura to be helpful with this issue.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
^^^^ That's good news for us,two weeks ago i called my dealership and they said that they are not aware of this issue,after calling Acura Client Relations i was told that they are aware of the problem but the dealerships does not have the update yet and owners will be notified at a later date.

Was your updated? and how does it feel now?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

^^ will get updated on Tuesday. I'll report back.
The following users liked this post:
KarKraze (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Thank you,looking forward to hearing an update.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Subsonic

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
KK, did you notice any noise in ur TL?
mine does it once in a blue moon, but it wasnt grinding, it was just a low rumble. but this update should explain/fix it.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Teddybear
KK, did you notice any noise in ur TL?
mine does it once in a blue moon, but it wasnt grinding, it was just a low rumble. but this update should explain/fix it.

Low rumble best describes it,check your pm.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Subsonic

^thanks bud.

yeah. low rumble, but if you give it gas at the wrong time, it'll kick/buck because it'll try to shift, but it wont shift in time.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I experienced the same issue. Thanks for the info. I am looking forward for the update. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
No Problems, but did the upgrade!

I got the recall notice in the mail on Wednesday. Was going to take the car in Thursday to get the oil changed. Took the letter with me, and had them do the software upgrade. I NEVER experienced anything with mine. 2010, SH-AWD. The software made the transmission shift velvet smooth!! It was always smooth, but felt like they pulled out the 5 speed and put in a six speed trany...
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by Samba
I experienced the same issue. Thanks for the info. I am looking forward for the update. Thanks.
I had the local Acura service people update the software today. Significant improvement, doesn't grind at around 50km/h in 4th gear coasting and touching just a tad the gas pedal... but now it seems to me the threshold has dropped to around 35-40km/h. The damn thing doesn't drop to 3rd, at these low speeds as it should so I think the issue is still software related and not the torque converter. The service manager told me to drive around for a week (regular traffic and highway driving) for the system to re-learn. I am following his advice.

But, folks, I don't think it is the torque converter. It is the software algorithm that still needs work. If you drive the car conservatively like myself and you lift your foot off the gas all the time instead of flooring it all the time then you'll experience it. Again, I don't see the reason why at around 35-40km/h the transmission should stay in 4th gear. It should drop to 3rd the instant you touch the gas pedal after coasting. So, I have made it a habit for now to let it go until perhaps in a few days it learns by itself? I don't know, time will tell.

Edit. I see that torque converter part 26000-RYE-406 is replaced with 26000-RYE-416 in some web sites. That means perhaps that the new software goes with the new converter? Just guessing though.

Last edited by Tonyware; 10-09-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Samba (10-11-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Tonyware,i am scheduled to have mine done tomorrow,i don't fully understand your post above,can you clarify the following for me....

When the car is in 5th gear at 1400 rpm and i try to accelerate very slowly i have a slight vibration/droning sound,when it downshifts to 4th then it is smooth,it is similar to driving a manual in top gear at low rpm's, is that the problem you had and if so is it now resolved.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey did ya guys get the issue fix...while having mods on the car?? J-pipe, testpipe etc...???
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by KarKraze
Tonyware,i am scheduled to have mine done tomorrow,i don't fully understand your post above,can you clarify the following for me....

When the car is in 5th gear at 1400 rpm and i try to accelerate very slowly i have a slight vibration/droning sound,when it downshifts to 4th then it is smooth,it is similar to driving a manual in top gear at low rpm's, is that the problem you had and if so is it now resolved.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a similar issue, but in 4th gear. Try 4th gear around 45 km/h (~27 mph) let it coast without touching the gas and then touch it just enough to get some more RPMs. Thats my "sweet spot" for the grinding.
KarKraze (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Sounds like a similar issue, but in 4th gear. Try 4th gear around 45 km/h (~27 mph) let it coast without touching the gas and then touch it just enough to get some more RPMs. Thats my "sweet spot" for the grinding.

Without the update the car is smooth in 4th at 45km/h,now i am debating if i should do it or not because i thought that the update would have kept the car in 4 th gear longer or downshift to a lower gear quicker to keep the rpm in a higher range than stock.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 07ACURA-RDX
hey did ya guys get the issue fix...while having mods on the car?? J-pipe, testpipe etc...???

If i have mine done i will update you,i have some of the mods you mention.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Subsonic

Without the update the car is smooth in 4th at 45km/h,now i am debating if i should do it or not because i thought that the update would have kept the car in 4 th gear longer or downshift to a lower gear quicker to keep the rpm in a higher range than stock.
Just do it. The issue can develop over time. I booked it for tomorrow. I've always found the shift from 3rd to 4th a really tall shift. It was like that in the 5sp 3rd gen too. I'm guessing the 6sp fixed that.

I just called my Acura dealer, they said it's "not a recall, just a software update". And there's 2 types. One they just update software (my situation), the 2nd type they update the software and do a tranny flush. They said it was just to smooth the shifts from 25-70kph.

I got my 4g in Sept of 2010. I'd have to lookup the manufacture date, but it wasn't too far off if i remember correctly.

Chime in if your dealer says you need a tranny flush, and state when you got your car/when it was made. Might be able to flush out more info as to which ones are affected.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Update, day#2. It seems to me the ECU has learned whatever it is to learn and the grinding has stopped. However, it can get going again if you really really really try to stay in 4th gear at around 25-30km/h. Thats not easy to do! I guess it takes 2 drive cycles (start, go, stop, cool down and repeat) to learn the new algorithm, or for the algorithm to learn. The 3rd time you start and go it shows significant improvement. But still, at around 25-30km/h you can force the grinding to start by touching the gas pedal just a bit. I'll try to stay away from that sweet spot, its not even easy to reproduce now, and see if the TC deteriorates further over time. After all, I got until 108k miles until the warranty for that expires. Long way to go ...

Edit: what I did on purpose I let it coast from about 120km/h (5th) to 0 (1st) on a freeway off-ramp that I can safely do that, and did that twice over a period of time of more than 2 minutes total. I think that is how it learns the gears.

Last edited by Tonyware; 10-10-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Drifting

Just got back from the dealership after having the software update,unfortunately the problem is still there,while the transmission does shift smoother the slight vibration around the 1400 rpm range at about 70/80 kmh is still present and if you press the accelerator slowly from this point car feels sluggish.

I will drive it for a couple of day as the service rep suggested and then notify them,the invoice stated that the problem may return or persist after the update in which case the torque converter will have to be replaced pending furthur diagnosis.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the updates. I did a regular oil change back in late Sept. At that time, I asked the service adviser if there was any recall on mine. He said none. I will ask for the update in my next service visit.

My problem was around 30~45km/h range when the rpm was between 1200~1400 with light gas. It is not a big issue for me as I don't stay in that range much. I noticed that compared with the first year, the strength of vibration became lesser and lesser over the years.

I am wondering if the car would show the version of the updated software in the service menu. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Subsonic

Update, day#2. It seems to me the ECU has learned whatever it is to learn and the grinding has stopped. However, it can get going again if you really really really try to stay in 4th gear at around 25-30km/h. Thats not easy to do! I guess it takes 2 drive cycles (start, go, stop, cool down and repeat) to learn the new algorithm, or for the algorithm to learn. The 3rd time you start and go it shows significant improvement. But still, at around 25-30km/h you can force the grinding to start by touching the gas pedal just a bit. I'll try to stay away from that sweet spot, its not even easy to reproduce now, and see if the TC deteriorates further over time. After all, I got until 108k miles until the warranty for that expires. Long way to go ...

Edit: what I did on purpose I let it coast from about 120km/h (5th) to 0 (1st) on a freeway off-ramp that I can safely do that, and did that twice over a period of time of more than 2 minutes total. I think that is how it learns the gears.
Just got back from the dealership after having the software update,unfortunately the problem is still there,while the transmission does shift smoother the slight vibration around the 1400 rpm range at about 70/80 kmh is still present and if you press the accelerator slowly from this point car feels sluggish.

I will drive it for a couple of day as the service rep suggested and then notify them,the invoice stated that the problem may return or persist after the update in which case the torque converter will have to be replaced pending furthur diagnosis.
Did they just do the update? any tranny flush?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 07ACURA-RDX

No problem with the mods and the dealership doing the update,i have an intake,axle back exhaust and j pipe with 3 rd cat delete.

Originally Posted by Teddybear
Did they just do the update? any tranny flush?

Hi Teddy,the service advisor said that the flush and update is for the MDX only,so only the update was done.

Btw with regards to your question,my car was purchased in Feb 2011 and believe the manu date was Dec 2010.

Last edited by KarKraze; 10-11-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Subsonic

Ahh, guess my service advisor read that part wrong then. Thanks.

I just got it done this morning. Car feels the same overall. Shifts feel slightly smoother when im just going about normally. The update was labeled "clutch lockup" update.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:03 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Yes, drive it for a couple of days. It usually takes 2 drive cycles with J engines for the ECU to learn. Mine was the same, didn't notice any change during 2 drive cycles, but the 3rd one was different. Long deceleration distances where the gears drop automagically from 5 or 4 to 1, help speed up the learning curve.

My invoice didn't state anything like that, instead it said to come back every 6 months for the service to lubricate brake and suspension components... perhaps they detected that my caliper pins need lubrication or something, or they say the same to everyone, I don't know! LOL.

Edit: Day #3: Couldn't re-create the problem. I tried but nothing. I'll try again later to see if its a permanent fix or the software gremlins keep coming back

Last edited by Tonyware; 10-11-2012 at 01:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tonyware:
KarKraze (10-11-2012), Samba (10-11-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 PM
3rd Gear

Have 2010 awd tl.similar proble,There is software fix for it.Got it done,problem solved.I is a recall and you can go to dealer and get it done.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the software update about a week ago, and seems like my MPG are a lot less than before. In city driving before the update, I was getting 18-19 MPG, Now after the update, only 15-16 MPG. Any one else experience this? or could something else be wrong? Thanks
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Cruisin'

same issue

Originally Posted by Hogan9166
I had the same issue with my 09. Took it in and had the torque converter replaced, but it seems to be doing it again after several months. Anyone have to have it done twice?
My 09 TL sh-awd also had the torque converter replacement for 3 weeks so far. Now, I starting feeling some lightly growl ( may be judder) at low acceleration but it does not seem like a vibration as before. I don't know if new TC could help fixing the issue. I have to keep an eye on it for now.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:59 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

I put mine in storage for the winter. If the weather is ok in the next couple of weeks I'll swing by the storage, start her up, and do a 3x tranny oil change... as the dealer suggested. I am not paying them $200 for them to do that. Plus, I have doubts they'll do it according to process as stated in the shop manual for the drain and refill. I don't think that will fix anything, (but you never know)... so as long as I own this TL I'll just try to avoid the sweet spot that causes the issue. I am somewhat disappointed by Acura (and also somewhat disappointed by the dealership I am dealing with) for not pushing the envelope in the service area, where at least Acura should be up to par with Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Mercedes etc. I still think that due to the fact it does it only if the car has been driven quite a bit in a day, it has something to do with heat. Maybe the oil gets too hot, or the oil cooler is clogged or, or, or... But sooner or later I am hoping some star-engineer at honda will figure it out... and send out letters again for a re-call.

But what the f*ck. Its a honda and I am into hondas with both feet! Love and hate relationship LOL... the best relationship there is.

Last edited by Tonyware; 12-24-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Drifting

I put mine in storage for the winter. If the weather is ok in the next couple of weeks I'll swing by the storage, start her up, and do a 3x tranny oil change... as the dealer suggested. I am not paying them $200 for them to do that. Plus, I have doubts they'll do it according to process as stated in the shop manual for the drain and refill. I don't think that will fix anything, (but you never know)... so as long as I own this TL I'll just try to avoid the sweet spot that causes the issue. I am somewhat disappointed by Acura (and also somewhat disappointed by the dealership I am dealing with) for not pushing the envelope in the service area, where at least Acura should be up to par with Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Mercedes etc. I still think that due to the fact it does it only if the car has been driven quite a bit in a day, it has something to do with heat. Maybe the oil gets too hot, or the oil cooler is clogged or, or, or... But sooner or later I am hoping some star-engineer at honda will figure it out... and send out letters again for a re-call.

But what the f*ck. Its a honda and I am into hondas with both feet! Love and hate relationship LOL... the best relationship there is.

Are they charging to do the flush/fill? i was under the impression that they would do it at no charge as part of trying to resolve the tranny issue.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Are they charging to do the flush/fill? i was under the impression that they would do it at no charge as part of trying to resolve the tranny issue.
I was told no. There is a cost associated to that. It stinks, I know. Also I was told not to go to another dealership because they have a file open at theirs with Honda-Acura corporate. I think they are pulling my leg (just to be polite). I'll follow up with Honda-Acura customer relations (very nicely) on the phone, when I have some time next month to verify all that... 1. make sure there is a record on file that the engineers at Honda/Acura recommended the tranny oil change procedure, 2. that it won't cost me anything, 3. if they screw up they are liable. If they deny all, I'll go shopping for an Infinity LOL.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hogan9166
I had the same issue with my 09. Took it in and had the torque converter replaced, but it seems to be doing it again after several months. Anyone have to have it done twice?
Mine does exactly the same as it was before and after TC replacement? Have you find any other way to resolve the issue? Thanks.