TL displaying ABS, VSA warning lights after dealership service on Wednesday.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL displaying ABS, VSA warning lights after dealership service on Wednesday.

Well this is only my 4 or 5 post but it's important one. I live in Columbia, South Carolina and took my TL (AM/Auto/Non-Nav) in to have the third brake light replaced on the back windshield for the falling headliner covering it and to have 4 paint spots touched up (including a very bad scratch on the rear bumper). My wife drove the car to the dealership considering she only works about 3-4 miles away from there and I'm working in the downtown area near USC. She picked it up after work and came home. The paint touch-up man did a awesome job . The brake light dome in the back looks very good as well.

But, as luck with have it, all is not well. After one of my friends, my wife and I decided to go out for a spin it would seem that my 'ABS' and 'VSA' warning lights came on and stayed on! I tried shutting off my car and turning it back on again and still had the 3 warning lights displaying in front of me. They did turn off for about 3-5 minutes but came back and I haven't gone away since. I have an appointment this morning for my wife to take my car back to the dealership for them to check this out. I can only think it had something to do with replacing my third brake light on the back windshield and something with my electrical system was not reset correctly. Has anyone else experienced this problem at all?

PS - I love my TL and every time it goes into the dealership for service I really miss my car any chance I have to drive it instead of 'up on a rack'. :'(
Old 12-26-2004, 07:30 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my ABS, VSA and VSA triangle indicators all come on today...

Anybody know what the combination of these three lights is all about? I cant really afford to take off work right now to take the car in- would rather fix it on my own time. I might try to unplug the battery to reset the ECU if I can't find any info tonight.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
sounds like an issue with the command computer. definitely need a dealer's attention. i would NOT disconnect the battery, as the computer system may dump the code. if there is an underlying issue, the dealership won't be able to detect it. i wonder, if you do disconnect the battery after a warning and engine damage is done if you warranty could be voided?
Old 12-26-2004, 08:40 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

If there is a problem, the code will continue to be thrown after the reset (disconnected battery), which happens to be the case in my situation:

click here for details
Old 12-27-2004, 07:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
When the ECU throws a code sometimes it also lights up the VSA and :!: lights. The last time this happened to me it was a faulty O2 sensor that was replaced under warranty.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 PM
5th Gear

More ABS light problems

Just purchased a 2004 TL from a friend with low mileage (for the year model). He always had maintenance done at dealer until warranty expired. No problems noted.
Next day I had three lights come on ABS and associated lights. Did some reading and found this thread. Looked for likely problems and found brake pads worn and brake fluid low because of that. Replaced pads (front and back) and rechecked fluid and saw it was back to normal. Pulled battery lead and erased light.... well light came back. It has reset itself once and this afternoon, has reset again. I have no lights now but I don't believe in coincidence and believe that a problem exists. Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 AM
8th Gear

i too have this problem as well, all of my lights were on such as the ABS VSA and the triangle light after doing a brembo swap on my AT 2004 tl, i took it it to firestone to get the codes but they told me that only the dealership can work on it, do you know what the problem is??
Old 07-08-2013, 07:07 AM
5th Gear

I read through ITL's earlier post about reading out sensors. I can do that but sounds like a lot of work to me. I'm hoping to hear from someone else about how their problems were solved.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
You guys need to go to autozone and borrow their code reader. Must be certain the code reader can read ABS codes.

ABS and VSA work in tandem.
If there is a problem with ABS, the VSA light will get triggered.

Start diagnosing why the ABS light is on first.
Getting the codes read can help isolate the problem.
It's probably 1 out of the 4 wheel sensors.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dlbbeaplayer23
i too have this problem as well, all of my lights were on such as the ABS VSA and the triangle light after doing a brembo swap on my AT 2004 tl, i took it it to firestone to get the codes but they told me that only the dealership can work on it, do you know what the problem is??

When you performed the brembo swap, did you remove the knuckle and or speed sensors prior to doing this work?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
Anybody know what the combination of these three lights is all about?
It's called 'limp mode', which is a default setting that allows you to hobble around, albeit at a diminished level of performance.

If you unplug the battery for 5 minutes or so, everything will reset to normal, but you can almost assure yourself that you will pop right back in to limp mode within seconds.

What causes this? MANY, MANY different faults. It is simply impossible to diagnose unless you pull the code. So get thee to autozone.

It could be cylinders misfiring, it could be a simple disconnected sensor - so pull the code and go from there.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Phillip864
I read through ITL's earlier post about reading out sensors. I can do that but sounds like a lot of work to me. I'm hoping to hear from someone else about how their problems were solved.
You have to pull the code. You CANNOT diagnose without the code.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
You guys need to go to autozone and borrow their code reader.
I'm just quoting this a third time for emphasis - the answer is RIGHT THERE, gents - let the millions of dollars that go in to diagnostics R&D work in your favor and pull the code(s)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
I don't think those codes can be read by Autozone? They can only check Trouble codes pertaining to the motor and emissions systems. Unless they changed something? Last i worked there a couple of years ago, we could never check anything other than check engine lights?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Project_CLean
I don't think those codes can be read by Autozone? They can only check Trouble codes pertaining to the motor and emissions systems. Unless they changed something? Last i worked there a couple of years ago, we could never check anything other than check engine lights?

I went to Autozone and borrowed their code reader. Maybe the one near me is a special case that has the right reader.

I just left them my license, went into the parking lot, plugged in the reader and got my codes

This is the reader I purchased that DOES WORK.
Amazon.com: Actron CP9580 Auto Scanner with CodeConnect Trilingual OBD II, CAN and ABS Scan Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Actron CP9580 Auto Scanner with CodeConnect Trilingual OBD II, CAN and ABS Scan Tool: Automotive
Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
It's called 'limp mode', which is a default setting that allows you to hobble around, albeit at a diminished level of performance.

If you unplug the battery for 5 minutes or so, everything will reset to normal, but you can almost assure yourself that you will pop right back in to limp mode within seconds.

What causes this? MANY, MANY different faults. It is simply impossible to diagnose unless you pull the code. So get thee to autozone.

It could be cylinders misfiring, it could be a simple disconnected sensor - so pull the code and go from there.

Car doesn't go into limp mode with those lights on.
You lose ABS and VSA but the car drives fine.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathMetal
I'm just quoting this a third time for emphasis - ...
Speaking from personal experience... Have you considered the idea that some individuals in this forum may have added you to their "Ignore list?"
I don't have anyone on "Ignore," but if I did use this function, you'd be number two on the list.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Speaking from personal experience... Have you considered the idea that some individuals in this forum may have added you to their "Ignore list?"
I don't have anyone on "Ignore," but if I did use this function, you'd be number two on the list.
If the day ever comes where my priorities have stooped to such abysmal lows wherein I am personally and emotionally effected by the negative opinions held by others on a car forum, I will promptly put an end to my life.

Thank-you for contributing nothing to this thread other than projecting your own personal negativity and general life frustrations. I hope our future encounters can be far more constructive.

Do you have anything meaningful to add to this thread while you're here?