Looking to buy cold air-what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 12:58 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy cold air-what should I get?

looking to get one asap!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:47 AM
2nd Gear

Weapon-R. Short and to the point. Upgrading the intake manifold can complicate things more than people think about. When you put too many bends into the air intake you actually make it worse; air gets sucked in but if it keeps hitting walls rather than smooth curves it slows down. Basically your fuel ratio gets thrown way off, you're runnin lean, and now you're wondering why you dumped all that cash and the car is slower. I'm not a HUGE fan of cold air because everyone thinks its the end all be all of performance but most don't think about all the other components ya know? It comes down to this...you force MORE air IN, that air also has to come back OUT. So unless you plan on upgradin the exhaust as well it becomes counter productive. Do the back end first you'll be happier you did. Least that's my opinion...
Old 08-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Jeff

Received 816 Likes on 726 Posts
aem or injen but he's right CAI wont do much
Old 08-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
OP first off, there are plenty of threads on this topic where they all have ask the same question. Read up on them to get a better understanding on which will work best for you. Second, short ram intakes decrease performance if not incase in a icebox; as it will suck up heat. Our TLs come equip with a "CAI" so no point of downgrading. Yes, if you are stock, an CAI won't benefit you at all until you upgrade your IM, TB, and runners (might as well do the heads too). If you do that, like it was stated, upgrading the exhaust should next or rather first before upgrading IM, TB, and runners. Third, an intake manifold will not cause complications. Read the threads. Members have successfully swapped out their 3.2/3.5 IM for 3.5/3.7 IM. The issue came from our TB. Again read the threads that members have gone and done the swap and were kind enough to share their Intel.

Last edited by EvilVirus; 08-15-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
OP first off, there are plenty of threads on this topic where they all have ask the same question. Read up on them to get a better understanding on which will work best for you. Second, short ram intakes decrease performance if not incase in a icebox; as it will suck up heat. Our TLs come equip with a "CAI" so no point of downgrading. Yes, if you are stock, an CAI won't benefit you at all until you upgrade your IM, TB, and runners (might as well do the heads too). If you do that, like it was stated, upgrading the exhaust should next or rather first before upgrading IM, TB, and runners. Third, an intake manifold will not cause complications. Read the threads. Members have successfully swapped out their 3.2/3.5 IM for 3.5/3.7 IM. The issue came from our TB. Again read the threads that members have gone and done the swap and were kind enough to share their Intel.
OK! FIRST OFF...why are you all butthurt about a simple suggestion I made? I was just browsing around, stumbled upon this thread, threw in my opinion. 2nd...are you a Fn CARTOON? Seriously are you? because you dont have a FUCKING CLUE what you're even talking about. You can't UPGRADE the manifold 3.5 to your arbitrary BS numbers because that 3.5 came from calculating BORE x BORE x STROKE x .7584 x #of cylinders; its the METRIC VOLUME of the cylinders and doesn't change cuz some clown READ A THREAD written by some wanna be Paul Walker lmao! Everything I said was right and you're fucking retarded. EVERYTHING IN THE CAR HAS AN EFFECT ON EVERYTHING ELSE and if you change 1 thing you probably need to change 5 other things you didn't even take into account cuz you don't even know those components exist at all. You need to gain at minimum a BASE LEVEL mechanical knowledge of how ALL the systems of the vehicle operate before you start spewing out random shit at some guy who clearly doesn't know anything about auto tech; which is fine cuz he at least admits it whereas you watch Fast and the Furious then act like you could do a full tear down rebuild of a BMW inline 6 in 2 days by urself lmfao! oh that's right, I just did that last week...but you probably know more than me cuz of all the THREADS you read. fuckin clown
Old 08-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Guess you haven't read the 3.7 mani,tb, and runners thread? I'm not going to bother with a noob who claims to no nothing about our j series. Kthxbye
Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
in before the lock
Old 08-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Jeff

Received 816 Likes on 726 Posts
whoa wtf
Old 08-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Unreal...lock out time!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by FENDUR
OK! FIRST OFF...why are you all butthurt about a simple suggestion I made? I was just browsing around, stumbled upon this thread, threw in my opinion. 2nd...are you a Fn CARTOON? Seriously are you? because you dont have a FUCKING CLUE what you're even talking about. You can't UPGRADE the manifold 3.5 to your arbitrary BS numbers because that 3.5 came from calculating BORE x BORE x STROKE x .7584 x #of cylinders; its the METRIC VOLUME of the cylinders and doesn't change cuz some clown READ A THREAD written by some wanna be Paul Walker lmao! Everything I said was right and you're fucking retarded. EVERYTHING IN THE CAR HAS AN EFFECT ON EVERYTHING ELSE and if you change 1 thing you probably need to change 5 other things you didn't even take into account cuz you don't even know those components exist at all. You need to gain at minimum a BASE LEVEL mechanical knowledge of how ALL the systems of the vehicle operate before you start spewing out random shit at some guy who clearly doesn't know anything about auto tech; which is fine cuz he at least admits it whereas you watch Fast and the Furious then act like you could do a full tear down rebuild of a BMW inline 6 in 2 days by urself lmfao! oh that's right, I just did that last week...but you probably know more than me cuz of all the THREADS you read. fuckin clown
I would suggest reading the rules for posting in this forum otherwise you'll be given a forced vacation from this site.
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Majofo (08-16-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Weapon-R. Short and to the point. Upgrading the intake manifold can complicate things more than people think about. When you put too many bends into the air intake you actually make it worse; air gets sucked in but if it keeps hitting walls rather than smooth curves it slows down. Basically your fuel ratio gets thrown way off, you're runnin lean, and now you're wondering why you dumped all that cash and the car is slower. I'm not a HUGE fan of cold air because everyone thinks its the end all be all of performance but most don't think about all the other components ya know? It comes down to this...you force MORE air IN, that air also has to come back OUT. So unless you plan on upgradin the exhaust as well it becomes counter productive. Do the back end first you'll be happier you did. Least that's my opinion...

You're understanding of physics be runnin lean

Don't mess with this guy.. he's a BMF. Does that stand for Big Menstruating Female?

Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
at least we narrowed it down to roid rage
pretty sure there's a caveat in the forum rules that allows for it.