NY/NJ New Jersey & New York

Tinting in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting in NJ

Hey all I had a question about tinting laws in NJ. I just bought a 09 Acura TL and am loving every bit of it. I bought it at home, which is in Texas, and will be here during summer break before I lug it up to NJ where I attend school. The tint laws here are 25% and I know that in NJ you cannot tint the passenger and driver side windows. My question is, if my car is registered and title is Texas will I still get a ticket for having tint on my front two windows? It is high 90s here right now and I am melting in my car without any tint. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:53 PM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
depends on the cop who pulls you over. if hes a dick, yeah, if not, you might go free. is the car registered under you or your mom/dad in texas? might let you go if you say its their car and you didnt know. play dumb.

if you go to Rutgers, be careful of the Highland park area, i got pulled over 3 times in 10 days for tints when i was a student. showed the cop my 2 tickets said i was busy with finals and was gonna take them off after i took them. and he gave me the third ticket, "as a reminder" as the douche put it.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:54 PM
moabizzi

btw, congrats on the new car.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your car is not registered in NJ then they cannot do anything to you. The tint law applies only to the residents of NJ. I live in NY and they don't mess with me at all in NJ even though I'm in jersey so much.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 PM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by NYC_RL
If your car is not registered in NJ then they cannot do anything to you. The tint law applies only to the residents of NJ. I live in NY and they don't mess with me at all in NJ even though I'm in jersey so much.
they could be like, your a student here in NJ, semi permanent resident or whatever, so you have to follow our rules blah blah blah.

since your in NY, they might just think, oh hes here visiting someone, just let him go. plates from texas, they might not bother him, but if they see he's a student here, or figure it out, they might.

the reason i say this is because my friend had his radar detector in virginia, and his plates were from NJ, virginia state trooper took it out and smashed it, and the cop basically told him, your in this state, follow the states rules.

side note for him, i got NJ plates, and im gonna get tints soon on my driver and passenger side, ive noticed a lot of people having them now and cops are driving right behind them not doing anything about it.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
most cops wont bug you for tints, what school you go to? rutgers? montclair? i have 35 in the front, 20 in the back and dont get bothered. if you get pulled over, make sure to roll all the windows down as long as its not raining hard, especially if its dark. cops appreciate it because the reason tints are banned is because you can hide a gun behind tint and shoot a cop.

texas plate could help you play dumb, usually out of staters dont get those kinds of tickets, but do get pulled over more for speeding and shit. legally, you can have it registered in mars, if your car is in NJ, NY, anywhere that you are driving, you have to abide by those laws. just like turning right on red is legal in NJ and illegal in NYC. you can play dumb, but are required to know the laws of any state you are driving in
Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 PM
moabizzi

Went to Rutgers in New Brunswick, i had a 3G TL, black on black, with 20% tints all around and the taillights tinted and the headlights were blacked out aswell. id get pulled over with my windows down, and they would ask me to roll my windows up. i would keep my sunroof open if the weather permitted it and still get pulled over. i have a Polished metal Metallic 4G now, i want to get 20% all around, but trying to figure out how to avoid getting pulled over for it. i know its secondary offense, but they say they pulled you over because of speeding/illegal turn or whatever, then say we'll drop that and just give you a tint ticket instead.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

I go to school at princeton so I won't be driving around the state too much but I just don't want a slew of tickets once I drive off campus. It seems like the general consensus is that I shouldn't get too hard of a time but if I do then it really depends on the cop and whether I can talk my way out of it. I think I'm going to go ahead and tint the front windows since it'll help me with the Texas heat and make the car look better overall. A risk I am willing to take I suppose. Any other advice would be much appreciated!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
you can always take the fronts off if you gonna get to many problems just my
Old 06-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

if and when you get pulled over always show the cop respect and roll down the windows and if its at night put the interior lights on put your hands on the steering wheel and dont reach for anything be polite and itll go a really long way...but out of state they wont rip you for it because they need to know texas law on tints...like in ny if a cop sees a jersey plate they could ticket em if they know but most of the time they wont unless you do something stupid and they catch you
Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I wont pull you for that even though i do motor vehicle stops for tinted front windows