New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

New Member Old Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member Old Car

Hi Folks, I inherited a 2003 Acura 3.2 TL for the price of a rebuilt transmission as I was in need of a car after having returned to Hawaii from some 20 years in Japan. I had fond memories of this car which my brother had purchased new from Acura when his Integra was squished between to cars and he had also risen in his career. The car at the time cost over $36K in Hawaii which at the time I heard was intended to compete against BMWs for luxury performance. My first impression was inadvertently burning rubber at the airport drop-off when he asked me to drop him off and I took the wheels for the first time pulling away from the curb. I could not get use to the amount of power and luxuriousness of the car…. I didn’t feel or hear engine rev, squeal or exhaust roar as the the cabin was so well isolated kr the engine had so much torque … I only felt a little shutter as I smoked the tires and layers down rubber. Kind of a big surprise over the small displacement 67 Mustang, BMW and reworked VW Rabbit that I had driven where you needed to rev engine and pop the clutch to exhibit any semblance of acceleration and power. And,… this was an automatic transmission! Aloha