New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

Hello! From NH. Acura lover.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello! From NH. Acura lover.

Hi all!

Been trawling this site since I got my 2004 Acura TSX about a year and a half ago.
Interesting story... I bought it from my best friend. And I was the one who drove it from the sale from PA to NH about 6 years ago when he got it.

I had a 1995 Acura Integra - which is the only car I've ever bought new - for 19.5 years. I put about 140K on it (low miles), but I also drove it cross country 6 times!
I did ever scrap of work on it myself except for two items.

These are the only things it ever needed:
- Replaced alternator at around 100K
- exhaust midpipe fell out. Cheap exhaust shop's replacement fell out 2 years later. I got my own catback stainless system and put it in the right way myself.
- Living majority of it's life in salty NH, and not often washed, the rear brake line rotted out and I had that fixed by a station.

The TSX is a major upgrade for me from the Integra. Get this: due to superb pricing, both selling and buying, I made an EVEN swap. $3000 cash on both ends.
I handed over the cash same day to best friend!
SO I got a 10 year newer loaded car. My 1995 "Teg" was bare basic stripped model no options at all (RS), no sunroof, no Power door locks, no leather etc... Always had a crappy stereo tape deck with horrible speakers.
The car - compared to 2000+ models - was loud and it had a constant slow tire leak that drove me bonkers. And it had a trunk leak I never fixed since about 1997. Water would pool in the trunk / spare tire area.
But I loved that car. I drove it all around this country many times. Hauled snowboard gear everywhere, it moved me cross country twice.
Hauled ass, cornered great, was great fun. I drove it 133 mph twice.
I put on super rare and valuable now circa 1984-86 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z wheels, the "swiss cheese" ones. It made it quite unique. But damn, you should see what the new owner did to it!
I think he's put $15,000 into it - no, I am not kidding. I guess it was the featured car on the cover of a magazine. When I let it go, it had rash, bash, and dents on all four fenders to a degree. They are all gone now, with rolled flared fenders, huge wheels, a full aero kit and lowered and intake, exhaust, headers, suspension all custom...!

Well, hello everyone!!! I am dearly hoping to get some great years with this TSX! The first year was great! The second has started out rocky...
Will be posting...
CEL, ABS, VSA lights off, on, off, on a long time, then off again...
Power steering terrible whine, level fine warm. Now level low, air in PS pump reservoir, and leaks down below... no idea what's going on there.
Attached Thumbnails Hello! From NH. Acura lover.-integra-badlands.jpg   Hello! From NH. Acura lover.-mytsx_dsc_0009.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 09:47 AM
Advanced

The pic is my car in the Badlands of the Dakotas mid cross country move. I blacked out all the windows, except front windshield. Had the car jam packed with all my stuff moving, and the weight in the car with the custom wheels just made it look 'lowered' only, so it kept at bay would be thieves.
I had it blacked out for about 10 years and finally got pulled over back in NH and warned to remove it. Then my State 3rd inspection at 'the friendly guy' told me it had to go, he could not pass it (again).
I used to roll in there in November / December in NH with the windows down to get it inspected. He politely let it slide for several years.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Welcome! That's quite the story.

Here's hoping you have as much fun and good luck with the "new" car!
Old 10-29-2016, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Thanks!
Yeah, I'd love to get 5 years out of this TSX. More would be nice too. My only complaint is the color - grey is my least favorite. But the car is so good, I can see around that.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Advanced

Here's what tossing $15,000 at an older Integra gets ya!:

(I love what new owner did to my old car).
Attached Thumbnails Hello! From NH. Acura lover.-teg-redone-enginebay-img_0235.jpg   Hello! From NH. Acura lover.-teg-redone-fullsizerender.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 06:45 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMM
Here's what tossing $15,000 at an older Integra gets ya!:

(I love what new owner did to my old car).
wow! that's awesome!!!
I also loved your story!!! and I admire you for having the car for almost 20 years!!!!!!!!
that is my goal, to keep my acura for as LONG as possible!!!! Loved how it has moved you cross country and you've taken it on road trips.

super fun reading!! and what a awesome even swap/trade for the TSX!
Old 11-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,985 Likes on 14,495 Posts
Angel, welcome, but I don't think this the place for that post...probably new member introductions and start a thread.

GreenMM!!!! Awesome! I enjoyed your story!
Hmmm...for the PS...check the high pressure switch, I'm not sure where it's located for you...check all the o-rings going into the pump...on the 3G TL there's one notorious for whine and introducing air.

Loved the integra! I came from an RSX before my TL's and really did miss how nimble it was...plus, it was the last car I had new.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Thanks guys!
Yeah that little Integra... It just ran and ran and ran. It also sat once for about 5 years and started right back up on the first key turn (I just wanted to see if the battery was shot and it fired instantly!)
Oddly and greatly too, I only replaced the battery one time. Crazy huh?
After sitting in California for 5 years, the rear calipers were frozen, and, uh, (redfaced) I broke them free revving the motor and slipping the clutch about 10 times (desperately - in hindsight). Ground the rust of the rotors that first drive out and it was back in business. Front pads went 90K and then swapped in new Acura OEM ones because the originals were so good.

I did manage to sort out the TSX power steering. Just a test drive needed. I had a hairline / near invisible fracture on the combo return metal line right at the front plastic frame clip spot.
Lost half the fluid, which made the pump howl and howl. It's quiet now, so hope a test drive confirms it.
Have some CEL and ABS / VSA lights coming on. Actually, they went off after I pulled the drive side wheel, tried to pull the ABS wheel sensor and snapped part of the plastic mount (it's like rust glued in there). I just put the wheel back on and left the sensor a bit of a mess. After that - all those lights are off. Although once the CEL came on for a few minutes and went off again.