New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

Greetings from The Humungus!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Greetings from The Humungus!

Greetings all!

I live in the Pacific Northwest and own a 2018 TLX SH AWD Advance. I'm here to keep up on Acura news, troubleshooting, giving/receiving vehicle advice, and just to discuss cars. I love my TLX and find that it's the perfect fit of style, adequate power, and comfort as my daily driver. Sure, I could have paid more and got an S4 or 330i X-drive with better performance, but opted for the reliability and familiarity of Honda and paying the extra premium for only the rare occasion of actually taking advantage of the performance thresholds of those competitors just didn’t make sense to me.

That being said, my V6 has been the victim of the dreaded 'Spun Bearing' failure. Luckily, it occurred at 63K miles while still under warranty. 20K miles on the new engine and so far, so good. My TLX also suffers from the well-lamented downshift lag, and an ever-increasingly frequent hard shifting from 4th to 5th gear with an occasional lurch and 'clunk' under light throttle. So, I guess the car hasn't been as reliable as I've previously experienced and expected with a Honda, but it's still nice to drive and still gets the looks and compliments, despite being 5 years old.

The only mods I’ve made to the car are 15% window tint and the requisite installation of a VCM disable device (VCM Tuner II). I like the sound of the ELS stereo and may invest in a Phantom Audio amp to improve the sound a notch. We'll see about that though. But upgrading the stock speakers is definitely in the near future. A color correction and possible ceramic coating are also in the cards. I recently replaced the front rotors and last summer put on the all-season version of Continental Extreme Contact tires. A huge improvement over the OEM Eagles.

My young kids love riding in the TLX and gave it the creative and unique name of "Jon". lol. So whenever I am taking them somewhere, they'll ask, "are we taking Jon?"

The following users liked this post:
Ascension (02-11-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 04:48 PM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Welcome! Jon is quite a name for a vehicle
Old 02-10-2024, 05:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,509 Posts
Welcome to AZ! Did Acura replace the engine with a rebuilt block? I wasn't aware of spun bearings on the J35's for the 1G TLX.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:22 AM
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine. Were you considering any other Acura models prior to purchasing the TLX? What other cars have you had before?
Old 02-13-2024, 11:23 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascension
Welcome to Acurazine. Were you considering any other Acura models prior to purchasing the TLX? What other cars have you had before?
Hi. I wasn't looking at other Acura models when I got my TLX. I had my heart set on an Advance 3.5. I was looking at the G70 3.3 and thought about the S4 briefly, but since I couldn't find a G70 in the vacinity of my hometown and didn't want to pay the price for the S4, I stuck with the TLX.

My previous cars have been fairly bland, except a 2001 Prelude Type SH I bought shortly after I graduated college. Man... A very fun and underrated car for it's time. I wish I had never sold it. Prior to that, I had a used 1986 prelude that got me through college. Also a great car for it's time.
The following users liked this post:
Ascension (02-14-2024)