The Official 2005 F1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005 | 10:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The Official 2005 F1 Thread

The "F1 Long Season" thread is just that, too long, so lets use this as the thread to talk about the 05 season.

Starting with....

Canadian buys F1 Jordan for $50 million

Associated Press

1/24/2005

LONDON (AP-CP) - Canadian billionaire Alex Shnaider has bought the Jordan Formula One racing team for an estimated $50 million US.

The team will maintain the Jordan name in 2005 with the Toronto-based Midland Group operating it through a subsidiary called Midland F1, Jordan said Monday.

The team name will be changed in 2006, with team owner Eddie Jordan's future unclear. Since winning two races in 1999, Jordan has slipped to the back of the 10-team grid and has been struggling to find financing under Eddie Jordan.

"I am very pleased with this development, as it will immediately provide us with a full season of hands-on learning experience," Shnaider said in a statement released in Toronto.

"We have no illusions regarding the technical demands of Formula 1 - undoubtedly the most stringent in motorsport - so merging with a proven team accelerates our ability to be competitive as quickly as possible.

"Our initial plans to create a team from the ground up will be adjusted to reflect this positive transaction, and the establishment of Midland F1 will continue according to schedule."

Shnaider, 36, was born in St. Petersburg and has both Canadian and Russian citizenship. He has a bachelor's degree in economics from York University.

Jordan acknowledged last year he was spending about one million pounds ($2.29 million Cdn) of his own money each month to keep the team afloat.

"I wholeheartedly believe that Midland joining with Jordan will make the team stronger," Eddie Jordan said. "The sport and the required resources have changed and this deal provides the team with the security and strength it needs."

Shnaider is chairman of the Midland Group, a privately owned international trading and investment-holding organization.

"I'm glad for the time being we keep the Jordan name," Eddie Jordan said. "I am also delighted to confirm that I will remain involved with the team and will be working with Jordan in a variety of commercial and sponsorship capacities as we move forward."

Jordan and Midland declined to confirm the purchase price, although industry officials and news reports estimated it at $50 million.

Jordan, which will use Toyota engines this year, has yet to announce its drivers or a launch date for its new car.

Germans Nick Heidfeld, Timo Glock and Italian Giorgio Pantano drove for the team last season. Heidfeld's best result was a seventh in Monaco while Glock was seventh in Montreal.

The 2005 season opens March 6 in Australia. Canadian Jacques Villeneuve is back on the circuit, driving for the Sauber team.
Old 01-24-2005 | 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Glad Eddie finally found a buyer!

The MP4-20 launched today and Kimi has a new car to drive as long as he can stay sober and keep his pants on!

Vandy
Old 01-30-2005 | 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I am Tifosi but I have had a weak spot for BAR the last couple of years despite the feeling that TS didn't deserve a race seat (an continue to think AD would be better) but I must admit I have nothing but bad vibes for BAR since DR got sacked so with that in mind I had to post this, reliability was a problem (if not the problem with the 006) and it appears it is starting that way for the 007, but there is still time.

"Despite experiencing engine problems on three of the four days spent testing at Valencia this week, BAR hardly mentioned it in their post-test press release."

Full story here:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/story_18535.shtml

Vandy
Old 01-31-2005 | 11:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Heidfeld secures ride with Williams

Canadian Press

1/31/2005

LONDON (AP) - Nick Heidfeld will race for Williams this season, the Formula One team announced Monday.

The German beat out Brazil's Antonio Pizzonia for the team's second driver's spot and will partner Australia's Mark Webber.

"We did a lot of testing to make the choice," Williams team owner Frank Williams said in a statement. "It was a very difficult choice in the very last minute. A very close call."

Heidfeld, 27, has competed in 84 F1 races, driving for Prost, Sauber and Jordan.

"I really wanted this job," Heidfeld said. "I will do everything I can to show that I deserve this place and I'm counting the days to the first Grand Prix."

Pizzonia admitted he was disappointed by the decision but quickly added he will remain with the team as their official test and reserve driver in 2005.

"Obviously I'm quite disappointed but I'm still quite young and there is always the future," he said during the launch of the team's new car in Valencia. "But I have to do my best and I will do what I can to help the team in the Championship."

Pizzonia was considered the front runner for the seat after Jenson Button's move to Williams as blocked. However, Heidfeld put himself in the picture following a late season test with the team, which was made possible after BAR-Honda test driver Anthony Davidson was forced to drop out.

For Heidfeld, this is a chance to resurrect his F1 career after difficult stints at Prost and Jordan.

"Driving for the BMW Williams F1 team is the greatest opportunity of my career," said the German. "I think it is difficult for me at the moment to explain how happy I am."

"Frank was just waiting around the corner here in this hangar and he told me about half an hour before we had to go on stage (this morning)."

While engine partner BMW insisted the nationality of the driver was not important, they are nonetheless happy with the selection. Ironically, Heidfeld was supported by engine rival Mercedes during his junior racing career and once served as the test driver for McLaren. His stock at Mercedes began to fall following the arrival of Kimi Raikkonen at Sauber.

Webber was also pleased with the decision, saying Heidfeld is "absolutely what the doctor ordered for us." Webber and Pizzonia have an acrimonious past as teammates with Jaguar Racing, a fact the Australian pointed out in December, calling him a liar and a loser for some comments he made and questioning whether he could handle the pressure as a full time driver with Williams.
Old 01-31-2005 | 02:04 PM
boosted is best

The '05 F1 season is now only a little more than 2 months away... can't wait to see how things shake out.
Old 01-31-2005 | 03:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Yay, Got to enjoy F1 now, because soon they will be driving 0.5 litre 1 cyl engined cars with plastic tires.
Old 01-31-2005 | 03:39 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by fdl
Yay, Got to enjoy F1 now, because soon they will be driving 0.5 litre 1 cyl engined cars with plastic tires.
Yeah, the FIA does tend to mess things up.
Old 01-31-2005 | 04:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know that I agree about messing things up. F1 has always had design restrictions therefore the Formula in F1. I think we all could agree that the teams have the ability to build cars that are so fast and produce so much lateral acceleration that humans would be incapable of driving them. There has to be reasonable restrictions on certain elements to prevent it from becoming TOO dangerous. Consider the 2004 cars turned faster lap times than the turbo era cars which ran 50+ pounds of boost and the fuel didn't even remotely resemble gasoline, except if you consider they were both liquid hydrocarbons and the Turbo cars produced 500-600 more HP! The changes force innovation, trial and error and hard work. This is the basis for F1. If there comes a day when they run on .5L 1 pot engines with plastic tires and turn better lap times that today we will all be better for it. In my 30 years of following F1, I have heard this many times but in the end the races are still exciting. BAR for instance made last year exciting, coupled with an off year from Macca and Williams you got lots of exciting racing, its now time for someone to step up and give Ferrari a little competition. 2003 was the best year to watch F1 in several years, with the WCC coming down to the last lap of the last race, lets hope for another barn burner with at least 3 teams in the thick of it come China in October, 33 more days until the longest season in F1 history starts in Albert Park!

Vandy
Old 01-31-2005 | 05:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

ilitig8, ya thats one side of the coin. And the racing enthusiast in me appreciates that. But the other side, the auto enthusiast, wants to see less restrictions. I'd love to see how fast these cars can get. Let the engineers run wild.
Old 01-31-2005 | 05:09 PM
boosted is best

I guess my objections to the FIA restrictions for '05 and '06 are mostly selfish... I love to see how fast these cars can run. Slowing them down doesn't appeal to my watching experience. But you are correct, these newly imposed restrictions will lead to other positive developments in F1 and like.

Last edited by cls6sp03; 01-31-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2005 | 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cls6sp03
The '05 F1 season is now only a little more than 2 months away... can't wait to see how things shake out.

Umm, don't make it any longer than it is! March 6 Melbourne, can't wait. TIres lasting an entire race is going to be strange, engines lasting two races is going to be stranger and probably more difficult. Honda is having problems in this area w/ engines while Sauber is using a set of tires up in fast order as the rears as deteriorating too quickly and w/ no warning.
Old 02-25-2005 | 11:23 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ferrari unveiled what technical director Ross Brawn termed its "best car ever", the F2005 at its Maranello headquarters on Friday.

However, both Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello will have to wait a while before taking the new car out on the track. The F2005 is not expected to make its competitive debut until the Spanish Grand Prix in May.

"I am extremely proud of this car and the work of the teams involved, design, manufacturing, assembly and logistics," said Brawn. "I am not afraid to again say that I think it is the best car we have produced ...so far."

Ferrari plan to start the new season with an updated version of the F2004, a car which won 15 of 18 races last season. However, winter testing have some believing Ferrari are not the clear cut favourites when the season starts March 6 in Australia, something team chairman Luca du Montezemolo admitted to during the unveiling.

"After six world titles our goal it to stay at the top and make it seven, knowing that it can happen that we won't win."

Barrichello, who is entering his sixth year with Ferrari, says Renault have shown signs of threatening Ferrari's dominance.

"From what we have seen in winter testing Renault are quick over a single lap and also quick over a long distance," said Barrichello. "Only when we get to Melbourne will we see what the new order is among the teams."

Brawn admits that if the team finds itself off the pace after the first two races, the new car could make its debut sooner rather than later.

"We plan to introduce the car in Barcelona but depending how it tests, an earlier introduction could be anticipated," said Brawn. "The logical race to do it is Bahrain, because of the (two race) engine regulations. But it depends on how the interim car is going."

Brawn says the decision to start the season with the modified car - something the team has done in the past with great success - was due to the rule changes implemented for 2005.

"The new regulations, aerodynamics, tires, etc, brought different demands and we decided we needed more time," said Brawn.

"The addition of the extra Grand Prixs, totalling 19 for 2005, meant that mid season updates would be more difficult and it also meant a long season with opportunities to catch up if we made a slow start. We therefore made the decision to start the season with a modified version of the 2004 car and introduce this car after a few races. We believe it is the correct decision, even if the beginning of the year may be a little frustrating."

Schumacher, who starts the season as the oldest driver on the circuit, says Ferrari will be well prepared.

"Of course, I would have liked to have the new car immediately," said the seven time champion. "We have taken a decision that is a compromise, but I think many of the other teams would like to have our compromise!"

Brawn says there are no "radical features" on the new car only "logical progressions".

"It is stiffer, lighter, more stable, and, most importantly with the new tire regulations, it should be less stressful on the tires," he added.

The new car is the first to be designed by engineer Aldo Costa, who takes over from Rory Byrne as chief designer.

The shape of the chassis has been revised, with modifications to the opening of the sidepods to accommodate a new cooling system. The engine cover and sidepod winglets have also been redesigned, with a second wing added to the engine cover. The layout of the exhausts is significantly different from the previous car. For 2005, it is almost entirely integrated within the bodywork.

The back of the car, including the rear suspension, has been revised to maximize the use of a smaller gearbox made from titanium and carbon fibre.

Byrne says when the F2005 does debut later this year, it will look much different than the one unveiled on Friday.

"The areas directly affected by the new regulations, like wings and diffuser, are obviously all new but even radiator, exhaust and gearbox layouts have been fundamentally revised to optimise the aerodynamics. In addition, there are several development items planned to be introduced during testing in the next month so when it first races it will look differently in some areas to the car you see here."

Ferrari is planning to introduce a full, revised power-steering system to improve the driver's control of the car.

The 055 engine is new but much of the internal components came from the last version of the 053, which is currently powering the interim car, the F2004 M.

Ferrari engine chief Paolo Martinelli explains that the 2005 engine has been designed to only fit the F2005 chassis.

"A great deal of work in terms of design and experimentation was and will be focussed as a priority, on meeting and maintaining the necessary reliability for this new mission profile," says Martinelli, who has set a goal of 1,400 km in terms of engine life for the new powerplant.

"One has to take into consideration that for many of the engine's internal parts, especially those that move, the 1400 km range is a severe test that conflicts with maintaining performance."

Martinelli refused to get into any detailed discussion about horsepower, saying the new engine will have "sufficient" horsepower, delivered in "driveable" and "reliable" manner to reach the team's 2005 F1 championship targets.

Ferrari also signalled that it will not join the other nine teams and their self imposed testing ban, confirming that Luca Badoer will test the new car next week. Schumacher and Barrichello won't set foot in the new chassis until after the second race of the season, the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Old 02-25-2005 | 11:34 AM
Photography Nerd

This line gives me a hard-on: "The back of the car, including the rear suspension, has been revised to maximize the use of a smaller gearbox made from titanium and carbon fibre."
Old 02-25-2005 | 11:43 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I love how they play the competition and get their hopes up by suggesing they may have caught up. The seem to do that every year.

Until F1 sets up a spending cap, your going to have more and more of the car made of carbon fibre and titanium. Limiting tire and engine spending results in increased spending everywhere else.