MotoGP: News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 10:34 AM

Received 5,490 Likes on 3,748 Posts

Curious where this late season pace came from, considering where he was the first 1/2 of the season.
FQ just disappeared, after a pretty decent start.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:13 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,139 Likes on 820 Posts
Maybe AM just needed time to learn the bike. He didn't get much track time prior to the first race if I recall. And with MM not available, collecting data was a problem.
On the other hand, based on how this season is going, he could fall back and be a non factor next race.

Quartararo said he had no pace because of a technical issue. The tire pressure wasn't right or something. Not because of his crash injury.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
Maybe AM just needed time to learn the bike. He didn't get much track time prior to the first race if I recall. And with MM not available, collecting data was a problem.
On the other hand, based on how this season is going, he could fall back and be a non factor next race.
A big part of AM's success this weekend was qualifying. He made it directly into Q2. He didn't have much success in Q2, but that still put him on the 4th row between Rins and Espargaro. Typically, he hasn't made it out of Q1 and ended up qualifying on the 6th, 7th or maybe even 8th row. It probably gave him a confidence boost. Qualifying seems to be an issue for AM, but that is expected for the typical rookie. Zarco and Quartararo are the only recent rookies I can think of that achieved good qualifying results in their first season. Pedrosa, Lorenzo and MM before them, but those three were definite outliers.

AM and Nakagami's late race pace has been good on more than one occasion this season, but their qualifying and/or start kept them from fighting for a podium. Something with the way the Honda manages tires maybe?

The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (10-19-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 12:42 PM

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/new...da-motogp-deal

Takaaki Nakagami will remain in MotoGP in 2021 with LCR having signed a multi-year extension with Honda.

Nakagami stepped up to the premier class from Moto2 in 2018 with LCR, though is contracted directly to HRC.

Riding year-old RC213V machinery this year, Nakagami currently sits fifth in the standings and just 29 points off championship leader Joan Mir having managed a best result of fourth in the Andalusian GP in July.

Nakagami and LCR were keen to have the Japanese rider given current-spec works machinery having been HRC's leading rider this season.

Honda's press release makes no mention of what bike Nakagami will have in 2021, nor for how long his contract is actually for.

"I'm very happy to be able to continue racing for LCR Honda IDEMITSU in 2021 and beyond," Nakagami said.

"I'm grateful to Honda for their generous support, allowing me to bring out my full potential this season.

"I will be doing my best to gain solid results for the remaining races, and build on that momentum next year.

"I'm aiming higher with Honda. I look forward to your continued support."

HRC's general manager Tetsuhiro Kuwata added: "I am very pleased that we can continue to battle with Takaaki Nakagami in the MotoGP class next season onwards.

"I am truly grateful to the fans and IDEMITSU who have supported his career to date.

"This season, Nakagami's performance has been solid, finishing within the points in every race, and is currently fifth.

"His presence in the MotoGP class is on the rise, and we look forward to his performance in the remaining races."

Nakagami will be joined by Alex Marquez at LCR next season, who signed a two-year extension with HRC before the current campaign to continue riding factory machinery.

The 2019 Moto2 world champion has scored Honda's only podiums so far this season, taking a second in the wet French Grand Prix before storming to second in the dry at Aragon last weekend.

Current LCR rider Cal Crutchlow's future remains uncertain, though it is understood he has a pre-agreement in place with Aprilia for 2021.

However, Aprilia is continuing to stick by Andrea Iannone while he goes through the appeals process to have his 18-month doping ban overturned - with a final verdict expected by mid-November following the Court of Arbitration for Sport hearing last week.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:34 AM

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94...worry-about-it

Jack Miller's Teruel MotoGP race lasted less than two corners when he was hit from behind by rookie Brad Binder, sending them both tumbling through the gravel.
The pair started 14th (Miller) and 15th (Binder) on the grid, but the KTM rider was caught out by the pack ahead bunching up on entry to Turn 2.Binder, who took full responsibility for the incident and immediately apologised, later received a Long Lap penalty from the FIM Stewards, to be served at the next race in Valencia.

"Not much to say really. Really exciting race, lasted all of two corners," Miller said. "I got a decent start, got to the inside, passed about three blokes, was doing nothing really strange but got hit from the rear and the bike sort of half-highsided me and then kept shaking.

"It got worse and worse and I ended up going into the gravel and crashing. Not ideal.

"Thankfully I'm OK for how bad I tumbled. Both shoulder [pads] were destroyed, both knees, every bit of the suit was destroyed. So it definitely did its job. But just happy to walk away from that one."

Binder was seen putting his arm around Miller in the gravel trap as the Pramac Ducati rider tried to work out what had happened.

"I knew I must have got hit because it wasn't a normal highside or anything like that. I just stood up and saw Brad and I was like, 'what the f**k?'" Miller said.

"I got my helmet off and asked him 'what happened' and he said, 'I don't know man, I'm sorry'. So I told him don't worry about it. That's racing sometimes, especially here where it's so tight in the corners as well.

"When I watched it back, it just looked like he misjudged the group's speed and I was just the unlucky one to be in that spot. He needs to come to his senses sometimes, but we've all done it. I've done it, so I'm not going to sit here and curse him out. It is what it is."

Miller has now suffered four DNFs this season, of which only Jerez was his own accident. A tear-off was sucked into his air intake at Misano, followed by an engine failure at Le Mans and now the tangle with Binder at Aragon.

All of which has left the Australian ninth in the world championship, with three rounds to go.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:36 AM

From the helicopter replay, it looked like Miller checked up a bit & Binder had nowhere to go (And may have been coming in a bit hot by comparison).
Nakagami was probably the most unfortunate DNF. Saw something that he was saying the pressure got to him, pole & leading the race.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:23 AM

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/...ortimao/353716

Lorenzo Savadori will debut in MotoGP™ astride the Aprilia RS-GP in the Grand Prix of Europe, scheduled to be held in Valencia from 6-8 November.

Savadori will also sub for Bradley Smith as an Aprilia Racing Team Gresini rider in the following rounds which will close out the 2020 MotoGP™ season, namely the Comunitat Valenciana GP on 15 November and the GP of Portugal in Portimao on 22 November.

Savadori is the newly crowned Italian SBK Champion after dominating the 2020 CIV premier category with six wins and two second-place finishes in the eight races held astride his Aprilia RSV4 managed by Nuova M2 Racing team. This extraordinary performance, achieved in a highly competitive championship against rivals with multiple titles, combined with his efforts as MotoGP tester pursued from the beginning of the year, led to his début in the premier class of worldwide motorcycle racing.

Massimo Rivola, Aprilia Racing CEO: “First and foremost, I wish to thank Bradley for his efforts this season. He took one the unexpected role of factory rider with great dignity and outstanding performance, and his contribution was extremely valuable. Now we are excitedly awaiting Lorenzo’s début. This promotion is certainly a reward for his great season as a CIV rider, dominating the Superbike category. But it is also a step of growth for a rider who will be a tester for our RS-GP in 2021 as well. Riding our fledgling project in the race as well will certainly be a step forward for Lorenzo and, therefore, for all of Aprilia Racing.”

Lorenzo Savadori: “To say I'm happy would be an understatement and I wish to thank Aprilia Racing straight away for this great opportunity. I will be arriving prepared for the event, thanks both to the work done during the tests on the RS-GP and to the CIV season that just ended. It was a challenging Championship that demanded top form and maximum concentration from me. Now I need to reorganise my thoughts, glean from the kilometres I’ve ridden astride the RS-GP and make sure I'm ready and focused for the first practice session.”
Old 10-27-2020, 01:14 PM
Pro

Interesting race. Morbidelli looked impressive and could be a title contender. Pol Espargaro also had a much better race compared to last week. Overall, KTM did a good job with 3 riders finishing in the top 10 compared to none last week.

Zarco was the only Ducati rider to make it through to Q2 and qualified on the second row. He had a great race. The rest of Ducati was really struggling.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:25 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I can't believe that Mir hasn't won a race yet. If any rider was to win the championship without winning a race, it would be 2020.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:53 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...rider/4900382/

Andrea Dovizioso could return to the Yamaha fold in 2021 as its official MotoGP test rider in place of Jorge Lorenzo, Motorsport.com has learned.

Dovizioso rode a Yamaha in 2012 in his sole season with the Tech 3 squad after being ousted from Honda, with the Italian scoring six podiums on the M1 and finishing fourth in the standings.

He announced in August he would not be renewing his contract with Ducati beyond this year, bringing an eight-year partnership to an end.

Dovizioso was on Aprilia’s radar to join Aleix Espargaro in 2021, though Motorsport.com understands he never considered the Italian marque an option.

Recently, Dovizioso confirmed he was speaking with several manufacturers about a test rider role for next year having previously stated a sabbatical is an option if he didn’t find the right deal to continue racing.

In recent weeks, Yamaha, Honda and KTM have been in contact with Dovizioso’s manager Simone Battistella regarding a test role.

As well as the economic side, it seems Dovizioso’s desire from any deal would be the freedom to race in other disciplines – most notably motocross, having taken part in a round of the Emilia Romagna championship earlier this year before breaking his collarbone in a crash.

According to Battistella, a final decision will be made this week on his future.

“What Andrea wants is to be able to enrol in races in other disciplines this year,” Battistella told Motorsport.com. “We will make the final decision this week.”

A key element in Dovizioso’s decision will be what manufacturer gives him the best option to return to the MotoGP grid full-time in 2022.

Given the uncertainty surrounding Marc Marquez’s injured shoulder, further layoff would make Dovizioso a perfect substitute for Honda should HRC take him on.

But HRC isn’t keen on the idea of Dovizioso combining development of the RC213V with the risk of injury from racing motocross.

KTM’s work with test rider Dani Pedrosa has yielded two victories this year, and the Austrian marque’s desire to promote in-house talent makes it unlikely Dovizioso would be guaranteed a 2022 seat.

This leaves Yamaha as his best option, given Valentino Rossi’s Petronas SRT deal is at the moment only for one year, while the Japanese marque would greatly benefit from someone with recent race experience to help develop the M1 – not least its engine, which it will be looking to make a significant step forward with for 2022 having regularly been the slowest in the speed traps this year.

Lorenzo has only tested the M1 four times this year since February, and only the 2019 bike, while questions have been raised about his level of commitment and his usefulness to the project given he was four seconds off an Aprilia at the recent Algarve test in Portugal.

Motorsport.com understands Yamaha is in pole position to secure Dovizioso’s services next year.

Under the regulations for non-concession teams, Yamaha could field Dovizioso on the grid on three occasions next season - though this will depend on the easing of current COVID-19 restrictions on wildcards.

Recently, Rossi said he’d welcome having the three-time championship runner-up as a test rider should the opportunity arise.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:57 AM

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94...rossi-valencia

GRT Yamaha WorldSBK rider Garrett Gerloff (and not factory MotoGP test rider Jorge Lorenzo) has been put on standby to replace Valentino Rossi at this weekend's Valencia MotoGP.Gerloff will step in if the Italian, who missed both Aragon rounds due to a positive Covid test, does not receive the required pair of negative PCR test results ahead of the Valencia weekend.
And he could well be needed since Rossi‘s latest PCR test, on Tuesday 3rd November, came back with another positive result for Covid-19.Nevertheless, today (Wednesday 4th November) the Italian will undergo a new test. Should he test negative, Rossi would still have enough time to complete the required second PCR test and fly to Valencia.

But should Rossi be deemed 'unfit' to ride in Valencia, Gerloff will be backed by the #46's usual crew for his very first riding experience aboard a YZR-M1.

Rossi is now the only Yamaha rider no longer in title contention, with team-mate Maverick Vinales third in the world championship, 19 points from Suzuki's Joan Mir and sandwiched between the Petronas Yamahas of Fabio Quartararo (-14 points) and Franco Morbidelli (-25 points).

Valencia is hosting two back-to-back MotoGP rounds, followed by the Portimao finale.

Gerloff finished 11th as a rookie in this year's WorldSBK standings, celebrating three podiums.

"I‘m so honoured that Yamaha has considered me for this opportunity," Gerloff said. "This year has already been quite the adventure, and this would be the cherry on top. It‘s been a dream of mine to ride the Yamaha YZR-M1 MotoGP bike since I started racing so many years ago, and to potentially have it happen is really exciting.

"But I am just sorry to get this opportunity under these unfortunate circumstances for Valentino. I feel really bad for him and I hope that he recovers soon, we all miss the number 46 on track! All the best to him.

"If I do end up riding this weekend, it will be an uphill battle not knowing the bike, tyres, brakes, etc. Also, I have never been to the Valencia track before. But I‘m confident in myself and ready for the challenge! Thanks to all at Yamaha. Bring it on!"
Old 11-05-2020, 01:46 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

https://sports.yahoo.com/yamaha-dock...192415266.html

Yamaha penalized for technical infringements at the Spanish GP. However, all the Yamaha riders keep their points from that race, including Quatararo, who dominated that race.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by F-C
https://sports.yahoo.com/yamaha-dock...192415266.html

Yamaha penalized for technical infringements at the Spanish GP. However, all the Yamaha riders keep their points from that race, including Quatararo, who dominated that race.
I think it just got worse for Yamaha. It sounds like Vinales had to use a 6th engine, exceeding his allocation. It was announced that he has to start the race from pit lane on Sunday.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:28 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Non-Yamaha riders question the decision to not dock the Yamaha rider points:

Dovizioso:
https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/11/06/...hing-yamaha-is

Marquez:
https://www.autosport.com/motogp/new...riders-knew-it

I agree with them. It's a team sport. The riders should get their points removed. If this was declared during the race weekend, the riders would surely have received a DNF/DNQ.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:23 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by F-C
I agree with them. It's a team sport. The riders should get their points removed. If this was declared during the race weekend, the riders would surely have received a DNF/DNQ.
Agreed. I recalled someone getting disqualified from a podium spot after a Moto 2 race due to a parts spec violation. It was Nakagami during the 2014 season at the opening round in Qatar. His team mistakenly fitted a non-regulation air intake system. He finished in 2nd, but was subsequently disqualified from the race.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/...ication/163699

Mike Webb, Race Director of the MotoGP™ World Championship, has explained the decision to disqualify Takaaki Nakagami from the Moto2™ race in Qatar.

Nakagami crossed the line in second position at Losail but after the race a technical control of his bike detected the use of a non-regulation air intake system.

As Webb explains, “It’s the same after every race, we have a technical control and the technical director brought a report to Race Direction to say that one of the bikes had failed that technical check. Having received that report we had a hearing and there we confirmed that there was something wrong with the air intake system on Nakagami’s bike so the decision of Race Direction is to disqualify him from the results. In technical issues it’s black and white, it either passes the test or it doesn’t, and it didn’t pass, it’s not within the specification so there is no choice. It’s disqualification.”

Webb also commented that the matter had arisen from an error on behalf of IDEMITSU Honda Team Asia, saying, “It was a simple mistake. They fitted a part onto the bike which was not the same specification as the part that the rule book says you must use. They misunderstood they way it was written and they thought the other part would be allowed. It was a misunderstanding but unfortunately the part they used was against the regulations.”

The Race Director then also detailed the post-control process for decision making and the right to appeal by the team. He concluded, “Regarding the system for the decision, the team appealed against the decision as they didn’t agree with the Race Direction decision of course, so they had the right to appeal to the FIM. Then the FIM separately hears the same case, to see if they agree and whether they uphold the decision or not. They (FIM) announced that they upheld the Race Direction decision, so our decision stands and the race result has been changed.”

Old 11-09-2020, 06:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
For the Yamaha engines with the non-homogeneous intake valves which were deemed illegal, the riders should keep the points but manufacturers lose their points.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:10 AM

What a race.
Barely caught it, as it was under a different name, so the DVR wasn't finding it.

9th different winner this season, and if I heard the commentary right, ties with 2016 for most different winners in a single season?
FQ lucky to gain that last position & tie for 2nd [leading on wins] with Rins.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:25 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It might be getting even more serious for Yamaha now. According to this report, Yamaha hasn't been truthful about the replacement valve swap. If this is really what happened, I'm thinking the FIM will have no choice but to take points away from the Yamaha riders.

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/11/10/...-geometry.html
Old 11-12-2020, 07:41 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Rossi tests positive for COVID again!
Old 11-12-2020, 08:51 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...amaha/4907810/

Yamaha MotoGP rider Valentino Rossi has tested positive for COVID-19 again just a week after testing negative following a two-round layoff with the virus last month.

Rossi was forced to miss the Aragon double-header in October when he caught the virus between the French and Aragon Grands Prix.

The Yamaha rider tested positive for the virus last Tuesday at home, but another test on the Thursday cleared him to head to Valencia where he underwent another PCR test.

Passing this on the Friday of the European GP, Rossi was able to take part from Saturday onwards, having been replaced by American World Superbike rider Garrett Gerloff for the first two practice sessions.

Rossi’s race ended after only five laps due to a mechanical issue, meaning he hasn’t seen a chequered flag since the Emilia Romagna GP.

And his participation in this weekend’s Valencia GP is now in doubt after testing positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, Motorsport.com has learned.

Rossi will need to undergo another test to determine wither he will miss this weekend's race.

With the final round of the 2020 season coming up in just over a week’s time in Portugal, Rossi could well miss his final race as a factory Yamaha team rider.

Rossi’s latest positive tests raises questions about the PCR tests he passed last week, particularly on Friday before being allowed to enter the Ricardo Tormo Circuit, and whether he was still positive without knowing it or has been reinfected since Saturday.

While scientists are still discovering how the virus works, cases of reinfection have been reported throughout the world in recent months.

Five members of Yamaha have been forced into quarantine since last weekend when one of Maverick Vinales’ crew tested positive for COVID-19.

This follows on from six Yamaha team members being forced to isolate ahead of the French GP when one member tested positive for the virus.

Yamaha named Gerloff as Rossi's his official standby replacement for the European GP, and the American will remain ready to take over should Rossi test positive once more.

However, if Rossi has tested positive a second time, then more members of Yamaha may be forced into isolation, depleting its track numbers further.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:53 AM

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/new...my-heart-apart

Andrea Iannone says the four-year doping ban handed to him on Tuesday has "ripped my heart apart from my greatest love", as it leaves his MotoGP career in tatters.

On Tuesday, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled Iannone had not presented enough substantial evidence to prove he ingested a banned steroid accidentally through contaminated meat during last year's Malaysian Grand Prix.

Losing his appeal to have his 18-month ban overturned, CAS ruled in the World Anti-Doping Agency's favour to have his suspension extended to the full four years.

Iannone called the ruling the "worst injustice" he has ever faced and slammed it for having "no logical sense".

In a post on Instagram, Iannone wrote: "Today I've received the worst injustice I could ever have imagined.

"They ripped my heart apart from my greatest love. No logical sense [is] on these allegations accompanied by incorrect facts.

"For this there will be an appropriate place and time, because I certainly do not give up.

"I knew I was facing strong powers, but I was hoping for intellectual honestly and affirmation of justice.

"Right now I am suffering at the highest level I could imagine. Whoever has tried to destroy my life will soon understand how much strength I have in my heart.

"The power of innocence and, above all, a clear conscience. A sentence can modify the events, but not the man."

Aprilia has since issued its own statement, accepting the judgement but refusing to agree with it, and has expressed no regrets in sticking by Iannone throughout proceedings.

"Judgements must be observed and accepted, even if many elements of this decision arouse perplexities, even from a purely scientific point of view," Aprilia CEO Massimo Rivola said.

"We do not regret having stood by Andrea and, to the contrary, we continue to stand by him at this time.

"This matter, with its extremely long times, has heavily damaged Aprilia Racing and our strategies for this and upcoming seasons.

"However, we must now look to the future, and it is our duty to quickly find a high-level solution that embraces the project we began with Andrea and that allows us to continue our growth, which is there and is clearly evident."
Old 11-12-2020, 09:40 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

That Iannone ban seems excessive.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:24 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/11/13/...r-will-kill-me

What an ugly breakup. This story is almost suggesting that the reason why Ducati didn't push for Quatararo and Vinales to be DQ'd in Spain is so it would reduce the Dovizioso's performance bonus payout.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:48 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I guess I was using an old NBCSN schedule that showed the race being broadcast at 11pm on Sunday. Turned on the tv at 11pm and saw a dog show!
Old 11-16-2020, 02:01 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

1. First Suzuki championship since Rossi's rookie year! The first time I watched 500cc was when Kevin Schwantz won the championship on the Lucky Strike Suzuki. Little did I know that there'd only be two more Suzuki championships for the next 26 years.

2. Quartararo!?!?! He seemed like a sure thing at the beginning of the year. Did Yamaha pick the wrong satellite rider to move to the factory team? Or is the 2020 M1 just that finicky?

Old 11-16-2020, 02:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by F-C
Quartararo!?!?! He seemed like a sure thing at the beginning of the year. Did Yamaha pick the wrong satellite rider to move to the factory team? Or is the 2020 M1 just that finicky?
I've been thinking the same thing the 2nd half of the season. I wonder if anyone at Yamaha is starting to worry that Morbidelli will outshine Quartararo and Vinales next season. It could also be the 2020 Yamaha and a combination of experience. Morbidelli spent five seasons in Moto 2 and won the championship in his last season when he was teammates with Alex Marquez.

Quartararo spent two seasons in Moto 2 before moving up and was only ranked 10th in his 2nd season. He didn't exactly impress during his two prior seasons in Moto 3. His first season in Moto GP was unexpected.

Great race by Miller. I didn't expect him to stay with Morbidelli until the end.

What a terrible season for Repsol and Honda.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:54 AM

Moto3 News

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94...o3-2021-season

Spanish manufacturer GASGAS has announced it will make its circuit racing debut in the 2021 Moto3 World Championship as part of a collaboration with current series leaders Aspar.

The manufacturer has a storied success rate off-road with numerous titles across trials, enduro and rally competition but Moto3 will represent its maiden foray into international race circuit action.

It comes as part of a bold expansion plan for the brand as a whole after it was brought under the wing of KTM last year in a deal that will see it begin selling its first road-focused models next year.

It is the second time in as many years a KTM-owned brand has ventured into Moto3 following the on from Husqvarna, which has competed this season under the Sterilgarda Max Racing Team banner, with GASGAS also set to run rebadged versions of the KTM RC250GP.

Currently leading the standings with Albert Arenas heading into this weekend’s final round in Portimao, Aspar will compete with Sergio Garcia and Izan Guevara for the 2021 Moto3 season

“To carry the GASGAS name into the Moto3™ World Championship is a very important moment, both for myself personally and for this team,” said Aspar boss Jorge Martinez. “As a proud Spanish team, to be the first to work with a brand with such strong Spanish roots, to take it into the highest level of international road racing, is very, very special.

“2021 is looking to be an extremely exciting season for us! Of course, we hope to continue the exceptional run of form we have enjoyed during the 2020 season and together with our two strong riders, Sergio Garcia and Izan Guevara, we are focused on immediately fighting for podiums and taking the GASGAS brand onto the world stage.”
Old 11-20-2020, 07:37 PM
Pro

The 2nd Aprilia factory seat is still unfilled since Iannone's ban. More experienced riders being considered to fill the seat include Chaz Davies, Bradley Smith, and Lorenzo Salvadori. A couple of young Italians from Moto 2, Marco Bezzecchi and Fabio Di Giannantonio, are also being considered. Bezzecchi has stated that he is not interested in the seat and plans to remain in Moto 2 with the VR46 team next season. I wouldn't be surprised if Bezzecchi moves up to the satellite Yamaha team after next season if Rossi retires.

Rumors started today that American Moto 2 rider Joe Roberts is now in the running for the Aprilia seat in Moto GP. Roberts is supposed to be moving from the American Racing Team to the Italtrans Racing Team in Moto 2 next season. I am assuming there might an "out" clause in his contract if he is offered a Moto GP seat.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:31 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Dovi doesn't even have a ride and he rejected the Aprilia seat.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:12 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by F-C
Dovi doesn't even have a ride and he rejected the Aprilia seat.
Yes, I can't blame anyone for deciding against taking the Aprilia seat. I doubt Aprilia could afford Dovi anyway.

Dovi may still be on the grid next season. Supposedly, Marquez 93 had a third surgery on his broken arm. It wasn't healing properly and now he is targeting a return at the Sepang test next year. Repsol/Honda were asked whether they would consider Dovi as a temporary replacement if Marquez isn't ready when next season begins. They didn't rule it out.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:22 AM

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94...am-2021-season

Monster Energy will have 'an impactful presence' on the 2021 Suzuki GSX-RRs of new world champion Joan Mir and team-mate Alex Rins.
A 'multi-year agreement' has been reached which will see the energy drink company, already title sponsor of the Factory Yamaha team, also become an 'official sponsor' of Team Suzuki Ecstar.“We started negotiating before the beginning of the year and we are very proud to have Monster Energy branding on our bike for the years to come," said team manager Davide Brivio.

"Monster was already a partner of our two riders so we look forward to working with them much more closely, and we'll try to give our best contribution to their marketing activities. I believe both brands will benefit a lot from this partnership.”

Rodney Sacks, chairman and CEO of Monster Energy Company, said: "Having spent the last two years supporting both Alex and Joan as they raced for the team with great success, it is a very natural progression to come on board as an official partner.

"2020 has been an exceptional year for everyone connected with the team and we’re looking forward to continuing the astonishing journey that Suzuki and their riders have already taken fans on in MotoGP.

"The 2021 MotoGP season can’t come soon enough for any of us.”

Mir won this year's world championship, the first for Suzuki since 2000, by 13 points over Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha) with Rins in third place.

Monster has backed two MotoGP teams before (albeit of the same brand), being title sponsor of Tech 3 Yamaha and also official sponsor of the factory Yamaha team.

When Tech3 then switched to KTM (and Red Bull) in 2019, Monster took over from Movistar as title sponsor of the official M1 team.

While the Monster-Yamaha deal is, like the new Suzuki agreement, of undisclosed length, the team is still titled as 'Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP' on the provisional 2021 entry list.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Marquez has third surgery, faces potential six-month recovery period

Ruh Roh

https://autos.yahoo.com/marquez-thir...214708729.html
Old 12-04-2020, 08:51 AM

Maybe '21 will be another crazy season. Though if Suzuki gets some straight-line speed improvements, it may be their year to lose again.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:20 AM
Pro

93's most recent surgery has been a rumor for the past month. That is three major injuries/problems with surgeries in the past 2 to 3 years. Surgery and lengthy recoveries on both shoulders and now this broken arm. I hope he is able to return healthy.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:41 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

The rumors I read say that Marquez was rushed to return to the track, which resulted in a botched first surgery. The finger blaming is on some of the management on HRC, which is now causing friction between Marquez and Honda.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:02 PM

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/95...upgrade-debate

Czech Republic MotoGP organisers have warned the event will drop off the 2021 MotoGP schedule over a disagreement with Dorna and local authorities regarding upgrade and hosting fees.

The event, held at the Masaryk Circuit in Brno, has been a mainstay of the MotoGP schedule for decades and regularly attracts one of the largest spectator numbers.

Dorna has stipulated it must undergo a major facility overhaul totalling almost €3m for the event to secure its place on the 2021 schedule. However, as the venue is privately owned the bill falls both to private investors and the local government, who say that - coupled with the sizeable hosting fees - is a figure that cannot be reached.

With Dorna rebuffing calls to lower the hosting fee to compensate, Brno Mayor Marketa Vankova counters that it is resisting upgrading the venue because there is no assurance spectators will be permitted to attend the 2021 event anyway and the region has more pressing emergencies.

“Dorna insists on a complete overhaul of the track for 100 million crowns. Due to the covid, we are not sure whether next year would go with the audience, or whether people will want to travel from abroad.

“At a time when we are addressing the main needs of the city so that we do not have to increase fees for waste or public transport, it would seem to me highly irresponsible to commit the city to such a commitment.”

While Dorna has so far made no comment, even President of the Czech Republic Auto Club has sided with the local authorities on the matter.

“I am the president of the National Sports Authority and the Vice President of the International Federation, so I am very sorry. I know how hard it is once a race doesn’t go once to get back. I am also sorry because I have repeatedly offered to help from these two positions in negotiations with Dorna, because I know Mr. Ezpeleta personally and we meet at MotoGP.”
Old 12-10-2020, 03:39 PM

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/...iveries/359923

SKY Racing Team VR46 has unveiled their liveries for the 2021 season, including the first-ever VR46 sponsored MotoGP™ machine. Luca Marini, Marco Bezzecchi and Celestino Vietti were all present for the launch from the VR46 Riders Academy headquarters in Tavullia, with it broadcast live on Sky Uno in Italy ahead of the X Factor final.

The new MotoGP™ and Moto2™ liveries for the 2021 season, put together by the VR46 creative department, have the same look for both classes: a touch of satin grey becomes shiny black, with a play of contrasts introduced by the chrome blue, which redesigns the graphics of the two teams in a more racing way.

A blockbuster 2020 saw the Italian outfit secure the Moto2™ Team World title, second in the Moto2™ World Championship thanks to Luca Marini's efforts, plus 17 podiums and 7 victories across the lightweight and intermediate classes. Born in 2014 when VR46 and Sky came together to support the growth of Italian talent throughout MotoGP™, they will make their first leap into the premier class in 2021 with Luca Marini after an agreement was reached between SKY Racing Team VR46, Esponsorma Racing and Ducati.

Meanwhile, Marco Bezzecchi will remain in Moto2™ and look to clinch the squad's second intermediate class crown following Francesco Bagnaia's success in 2018. The curly-haired Italian will be joined there by Celestino Vietti, who makes the jump up from the Moto3™ class after two successful seasons.

In both classes, the SKY Racing Team VR46 will be able to count on the commitment and trust of partners who have embraced the team's philosophy over the past few years. WITH U, Monster Energy and Bardahl will continue to be the main partners of the project. Fassi is also confirmed together with Dainese and AGV, alongside the team since its birth.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:18 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Cool looking front lobby.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:45 AM

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/95...gp-future-2022

Stalwart Italian outfit Gresini Racing will revert to independent status from the 2022 MotoGP World Championship season after agreeing a new five-year deal with IRTA to stay in the series.

One of MotoGP's longest-serving outfits with its roots traced back to 1997, Gresini Racing has in that time established its status as one of the series' foremost satellite teams from the latter years of 500GP to the start of the MotoGP era.

Running Honda machinery from its inaugural year in the premier class, Gresini Racing was in 2015 upgraded to de facto works status courtesy of Aprilia after being chosen as the foundation for the Italian marque's renewed factory MotoGP effort.

After seven seasons though, Aprilia will use the next cycle of team contracts to take its entries in-house at Noale from 2022, with Gresini Racing regaining independent status as a result.

“We’re happy to announce this agreement with IRTA, which will see us in MotoGP for five years starting from 2022. We will not be representing Aprilia as a factory team anymore, so we will continue as an Independent Team, doing so with as much will and commitment. There’s a lot of work to do and many things to define and communicate. Obviously we’re already working on this huge project, and we will reveal the details little by little. Stay tuned!”

Gresini is expected to remain within the Aprilia fold from 2022 as the manufacturer's satellite concern, which in turn increases the MotoGP field to a provisional 24 bikes and, for the first time, four Aprilia entries.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:46 AM

Do MotoGP regs require that a mfg have a factory team, in order to run/supply a satellite team?

Quick Reply: MotoGP: News and Discussion Thread