Mercedes GP

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009 | 07:29 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Mercedes GP

Mercedes-Benz has announced that it has taken over the Brawn Formula 1 team and re-named it Mercedes Grand Prix after buying a 75.1 per cent stake in the squad.

The German car giant will retain its role as McLaren's engine supplier until at least 2015, but will sell its 40 per cent stake in the squad back to the team over the next two years.

"Mercedes will compete in the F1 world championship next year starting with its own factory team," said head of Mercedes cars, Dr Dieter Zetsche.

"This is possible by the agreed acquisition of 75.1 per cent of Brawn GP, 45.1 per cent from Daimler and 30 per cent from our partner Aabar Investments. The rest will be with the current share - Ross Brawn, Nick Fry and other members. The interests of Daimler are aligned therefore it will be a true Mercedes-Benz team.

"Ross Brawn will continue to be the team principal and thereby we are maintaining his strength. Just like the engine team at Mercedes Benz High Performance Engines, the new Mercedes Benz grand prix team will be co-ordinated by Mercedes Benz Motorsport which is as everybody knows headed by Norbert Haug."

The team will be run out of Brawn's current headquarters in Brackley, rather than from a new facility.

Team principal Brawn said that he could not have imagined such a partnership happening 11 months ago when Honda announced it was pulling out of F1, leading to a winter of uncertainty for the squad that was soon to become Brawn.

"Both I and my fellow directors at Brawn GP are incredibly proud of our staff, drivers and everyone associated with our team and thank them for their commitment, outstanding teamwork and their focus on achieving results in sometimes difficult circumstances," he said.

"The senior management group will remain in place to lead our team and on behalf of everyone at Brawn GP, we are honoured to be representing such a prestigious brand as Mercedes-Benz in Formula One next year and will be working together to do our best to reward their faith in our team."

The deal means that Mercedes will compete in Formula 1 as a full factory team for the first time since Juan Manuel Fangio won the world title in 1955.

Neither driver has yet been announced for the new squad. 2009 driver Rubens Barrichello has already joined Williams for next season while Jenson Button has yet to decide on his future.

AUTOSPORT understands that Nico Rosberg will be one of Mercedes' drivers, while the company's motorsport chief Norbert Haug said on Sunday that discussions have taken place with former BMW Sauber driver Nick Heidfeld.

Old 11-16-2009 | 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

I guess that leaves Kimi out in the lurch, with Button most likely heading over to McLaren. Now I'll have no single driver to support, with Kimi also most likely out of F1 for 2010.
Old 11-16-2009 | 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't know uzzman, Kimi may still have a ride. McLaren has always been flush with cash and able to win championships prior to Mercedes arriving.
Old 11-16-2009 | 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

While I really hope Kimi manages to find a ride, I think he said recently that he would only go to a contender, with his first preference being McLaren. Given that it's likely to be Hamilton and Button there, and the Mercedes team with Rosberg and Heidfeld, I don't really see Kimi getting a ride for 2010.
Old 11-16-2009 | 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks like next season is shaping up to be fairly interesting.
Old 11-16-2009 | 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Prediction: Button/Rosberg at Silver Arrows; Raikkonen/Lewis McLaren
Old 11-17-2009 | 02:50 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

photoshopped image
Old 11-19-2009 | 09:20 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Drivers in running for the 2 seats:

Rosberg
Heidfield
Raikkonen
Michael Schumacher
Old 11-19-2009 | 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Schumi? Really? Would he jeopardize his relationship with Ferrari just to come back to work for Ross Brawn?
Old 11-19-2009 | 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by uzzmaan
Schumi? Really? Would he jeopardize his relationship with Ferrari just to come back to work for Ross Brawn?
I dont really think he would.
Old 11-19-2009 | 10:12 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Why not? If he still wants to race, this is the perfect situation. A top car, management that would support him in Brawn, German ownership (he used to be on the Mercedes junior team), and a weak teammate. What's at Ferrari? Totd and Brawn isn't there. Both seats are taken, does he want to wait until 2011? If he wants to race in 2011, he would have to deal with someone just as self centered as he is, Alonso.

It all comes down to how much he wants to return.
Old 11-19-2009 | 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

I still can't figure out why anyone would want Heidfeld, he's another Fisichella. Raikkenen and Rosberg would be a great pairing. Or Rosberg/Hulkenberg
Old 12-11-2009 | 07:27 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Mercedes is reportedly proposing to pay Michael Schumacher 7 million euros if he agrees to return to F1 as Nico Rosberg's teammate in 2010.

Bild newspaper said the offer, which is the same one offered to Jenson Button prior to the new world champion's switch to McLaren, will be made by the German marquee’s competition boss Norbert Haug.

Schumacher, 40, made much more money at Ferrari until 2006, and still makes 5m a year as an adviser to the Italian team, but Bild said Mercedes cannot afford to offer the German any more.

Niki Lauda told the newspaper he is certain "money will not
play a role" in Schumacher's decision about whether to re-launch his 16-year F1 career.
Like I said before, this is the perfect opportunity for Schumacher to make a comeback.
Old 12-11-2009 | 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, doubt it's about the $$ though it will be a $2M pay increase from his role with Ferrari. I wonder what he's gonna do.
Old 12-15-2009 | 09:42 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Big trouble at Mercedes/Brawn:

Stories have emerged in Germany of an alleged sponsorship scam that could leave a massive hole in the budget of the new Mercedes GP team.

Before the takeover of the team was finalized Brawn GP apparently agreed a mega sponsorship deal with the Henkel consumer products company, whose roster of famous brand names includes Persil, Schwarzkopf, Loctite, Unibond and Pritt.

As the company is headquartered in Germany there was obviously a lot of synergy with both the Mercedes tie-up and the decision to hire Nico Rosberg (and just possibly, Michael Schumacher). Signed at the end of July, the deal is believed to be for as much as €30m, or $43m a year, for three years. The timing may help to explain why Rosberg topped the team’s shopping list in the summer.

It is now apparent that the guy who signed the deal was not authorized to do so, and furthermore was using the company’s name for his own ends.

Only after the Mercedes deal was finalized – and the company announced to the world that it will be spending a lot less in the future compared with being a partner of McLaren – did the truth apparently come out, and only then after the Mercedes CEO contacted his opposite number at Henkel

Henkel now denies that it has any obligations to Brawn/Mercedes, who naturally enough claim the reverese is the case,

If this really was the mega sponsor that the team was planning to rely on, there could be a lot of explaining to do...
Could Mercedes withdraw from Brawn? Seems possible if they claim that Brawn defrauded them.
Old 12-15-2009 | 09:51 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

The question would seem to be whether Mercedes agrees with Brawn's sentiments that they have a binding deal with Henkel. If so, then I don't see why they would part company with Brawn. The problem child here clearly appears to be Henkel.
Old 12-15-2009 | 10:16 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Billiam
The question would seem to be whether Mercedes agrees with Brawn's sentiments that they have a binding deal with Henkel. If so, then I don't see why they would part company with Brawn. The problem child here clearly appears to be Henkel.

All very bizarre. But if Schumacher does sign with Mercedes, I'm sure sponsors will be flocking to the team.
Old 12-18-2009 | 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Schu very very very . . . .

close to signing w/ MBZ according to Luca di Montezemelo:

STORY
Schumacher reveals comeback is close

By Tony Dodgins Friday, December 18th 2009, 17:30 GMT

Michael Schumacher has told Ferrari that there is a "very, very, very strong possibility" that he will race for Mercedes-Benz in Formula 1 next year, team president Luca di Montezemolo has revealed.

Although there has not yet been any official word from the Schumacher or Mercedes-Benz camps about the progress of talks in relation to an amazing comeback for the seven-time world champion, di Montezemolo has given away just how far advanced the situation now is.

Speaking to selected media, including AUTOSPORT, at Ferrari's Christmas lunch in Fiorano on Thursday, di Montezemolo shed fresh light on the Schumacher developments.

"I hadn't spoken to him since Abu Dhabi but I spoke to him yesterday (Wednesday)," said di Montezemolo about Schumacher's Mercedes-Benz situation.

"He phoned me and he told me that there is a very, very, very strong possibility [of racing for Mercedes-Benz]. Having said that, it is not 100 per cent decided. But that is what he said yesterday morning."