FIA has gone crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,139 Likes on 820 Posts
FIA has gone crazy

A freeze on engine technology, a single tyre supplier and four-race gearboxes are among the major changes to Formula One’s Sporting Regulations for 2008, as revealed by the FIA on Wednesday.

For the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons, teams will only be allowed to use one engine design, which must be submitted to the FIA for homologation no later than June 1 this year. Subsequent changes will only be permitted with agreement of the FIA and all other engine suppliers.

A single tyre supplier will be chosen for the same three-year period. At each race, every team will receive the same tyres - two dry-weather compounds, one wet-weather tyre and one extreme-weather tyre. Tyre warmers will be banned.

The two-event engine requirement will remain, but gearboxes will have to last four Grands Prix. Unscheduled changes of either item will lead to a 15kg weight penalty for the car concerned. This will replace the existing system of ten-place grid penalties. Spare cars will be banned.

Testing outside races will be limited to 30,000 km per year. At races, parc ferme conditions will be extended to run from 18.30 on Friday evening until the start of the race. Currently, cars do not enter parc ferme conditions until after qualifying.

New teams will no longer be required to lodge the US$48 million deposit currently needed to join the series. Instead they must pay a €300,000 entry fee. There will be more scope for the use of customer components between teams, but major car manufacturers will not be able to supply engines to more than two teams without the permission of the FIA.

The maximum permitted length of the Formula One calendar will grow to 20 races. The longest season to date has been 19.

Very Bad:
3 year engine freeze. What are they thinking? Renault is the only manufacturer in favor of this rule. Of course Renault would be in favor of it, as they would monopolize the grid for the next three years.

Bad:
Single tyre supplier.
Replace 10 grid penalty for engine change with 15kg weight penalty.
No spare cars.

Good:
Return to slicks.

Hopefully the teams will be able to change these rules.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Submit the engine design for the 08 season 2 years early? that makes no sense and neither does the rule.

How many km's are currently allowed in testing?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
these moves will kill F1 as we know it.

i think the big teams will form their own series, and get Bernie to market it.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All these crazy cost containment measures point to the same conclusion:

F1 as we know it has effectively priced itself out of existance.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
What the heck is this crap,............what a load of BS!!!!! I hope the teams go and form their own series like astro said, and tell the FIA to go F&$* itself.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:00 PM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by West6MT
What the heck is this crap,............what a load of BS!!!!! I hope the teams go and form their own series like astro said, and tell the FIA to go F&$* itself.
i have said this for the last 2 years....... i htink what FIA is trying to do is complete bullshit. they better make thier own league and let them run what ever they want and do wha tthey want to thier cars.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
This is a load of shit. These arent cost cutting measures. The make things more expensive. Its taking away from what the sport is about. They are on the fast path to becoming like the indy/irl league.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
This is a load of shit. These arent cost cutting measures. The make things more expensive. Its taking away from what the sport is about. They are on the fast path to becoming like the indy/irl league.
Don't get me wrong, I think it would totally suck ass, but how can using the same engine design for three years make things more expensive?
Old 03-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Submit the engine design for the 08 season 2 years early? that makes no sense and neither does the rule.

How many km's are currently allowed in testing?

No current FIA limitation on testing. There has been a gentlemens agreement limiting testing which all but Ferrari agreed to in the past. It seems to have fallen apart recently.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Astroboy
these moves will kill F1 as we know it.

i think the big teams will form their own series, and get Bernie to market it.

First in restriction terms F1 has been dead since 1994.

As for the second statement...step away from the crack pipe! The GPMA has been threatening this for years but it looks like that will all be put to bed sometime this year, sooner than later most likely. But if they did Bernie would NOT market it, the grief between Bernie and the manufacturers is the reason for the proposed manufacturers series! Bernie is F1 and they hate him for it.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F-C
Very Bad:
3 year engine freeze. What are they thinking? Renault is the only manufacturer in favor of this rule. Of course Renault would be in favor of it, as they would monopolize the grid for the next three years.

Bad:
Single tyre supplier.
Replace 10 grid penalty for engine change with 15kg weight penalty.
No spare cars.

Good:
Return to slicks.

Hopefully the teams will be able to change these rules.

The problem is F1 costs have gotten completely out of hand, something does have to be done. However I agree this may not be the way to do it. What most people in the thread seem not to understand is that this are simply another draft of the regs, they will change significantly prior to being put into effect like every other year, compare this to the last draft of these regs and you will see they are quite different.

For the people that want to go back to a pre-94 wide open approach, it ain't gonna happen. Unless you want to see the same 4 teams winning WCCs every year with no chance for anyone new to move up the ladder costs have to be gotten in check. The freeze on engine regs for periods of time make great sense (the manufacturers won't accept just building spec engines). If you freeze engine tech then teams don't have to worry about huge R&D costs every winter since they only have to evolve the engines and the chassis can remain the same as you just develop aero around the same engine package.

For those that wish for unlimited tech remember that F1 has never been that, thus the word Formula in the name, and those who understand that but wish for a lot more lattitude you missed your time to scream a decade ago. In the end unless there is some sort of spending cap (with proper enforsement) spending will always be an huge issue. Rest assured no matter what the FIA does with the regs F1 will always allow money and insightful engineers to gain an advantage.

As for slick I always like to say I am a purist and thus don't like slicks!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Toyota spent the most money of all the F1 teams last year according to the F1 magazine I was reading a few weeks ago in a store,.....and I didnt see them on the poduim last year. I would have bought the mag, but is was like 12 dollars Canadian,.....too much.

Total spending for F1 last year was 2.8 something Billion dollars.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Toyota spent the most money of all the F1 teams last year according to the F1 magazine I was reading a few weeks ago in a store,.....and I didnt see them on the poduim last year. I would have bought the mag, but is was like 12 dollars Canadian,.....too much.

Total spending for F1 last year was 2.8 something Billion dollars.

The rumor is they have spent the most for the last 4 years showing it is pretty hard to buy yourself up the ladder even if you try in the current conditions. As long as the top 4 keep spending huge cash even matching or beating them doesn't always help. My guess is if the rules stay the same and the 4 big guns don't curb spending they will win every WCC for the next 20 years or more like they have for the last 20 years.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:58 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ilitig8
The problem is F1 costs have gotten completely out of hand, something does have to be done. However I agree this may not be the way to do it. What most people in the thread seem not to understand is that this are simply another draft of the regs, they will change significantly prior to being put into effect like every other year, compare this to the last draft of these regs and you will see they are quite different.
I believe that these rules were ratified by the World Council, so they are not merely drafts. However, they could still be changed before taking effect.

For the people that want to go back to a pre-94 wide open approach, it ain't gonna happen. Unless you want to see the same 4 teams winning WCCs every year with no chance for anyone new to move up the ladder costs have to be gotten in check. The freeze on engine regs for periods of time make great sense (the manufacturers won't accept just building spec engines). If you freeze engine tech then teams don't have to worry about huge R&D costs every winter since they only have to evolve the engines and the chassis can remain the same as you just develop aero around the same engine package.
The way I understand it is that this isn't a freeze on engine regulations, but a freeze on engine designs. Meaning that you can not evolve the engines. That is a huge difference. You will be stuck with whatever engines you have for 3 years.

Last edited by F-C; 03-24-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Billiam
Don't get me wrong, I think it would totally suck ass, but how can using the same engine design for three years make things more expensive?
I dont mean using the same engine design for 3 years, i mean the cost involved to make a engine reliable but competitive for 2 races, and the same for the gearbox for the 5 races. The amount of R&D and money thats involved is huge. The V8 switch has been estimated at -3 billion euros in R&D for the top teams, which in my book isnt cheap.

Freezing the engine design for that long is taking away what F1 was. It was the best of the best. No other form of racing had its technology.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F-C
I believe that these rules were ratified by the World Council, so they are not merely drafts. However, they could still be changed before taking effect.

The way I understand it is that this isn't a freeze on engine regulations, but a freeze on engine designs. Meaning that you can not evolve the engines. That is a huge difference. You will be stuck with whatever engines you have for 3 years.

They indeed were ratified, but I still consider them drafts, which I agree is semanatically incorrect. The teams can change the rules at any time, they just all have to agree and given the GPWA "rebel teams" haven't even signed on yet I think I am pretty safe in saying there will be major changes prior to the 2008 starting, since there have been major changes after every other set of Sproting regs ratified and this time there a significant period of time before their effects would be felt.

As regarding engines that is an Apendix 6 issue and no way to know how it will play out in actual use BUT from my reading it is an effective cap on regulations. You can modify and evolve the engine but you have to resubmit it for rehomologation and it would have to fairly compete with other homologation engines. My take is you would be able to rectify any reliability issues etc but could not gain significant performance advantage. You would likely not be able to change bore stroke ratios or other significant bits but it would set the basic output of your engines. I think it is a fair compromise, you get to design your own engine and develop it for reliability but you are stuck with the basic performance envelope for three years but at the same time reduce the R&D costs by huge chunks of cash.

In the end I persent this:

Most everyone that is a fan (casual or rabid) of F1 claims to be a fan in part due to the technology. Now answer a few questions in your head:

Do you know the bore/stroke ratio of any F1 engine
Do you know what the Hondas gearbox case is made of, is it transverse or longitudal
Do you know who manufactures the brake discs and their maximum width
Do you know the average speed of gearshifts in milli-seconds
What team introduced the first all titanium gear box
Can you draw the simple pictures of zero, single and double keel chassis
What are the benefits of chimneys
Do you know who Giorgio Piola is

My point is even if you know every answer without looking you also know you are in the vast minority of F1 fans. The technology is F1 is still going to be astounding even if the regs go into effect as is. F1 has always had to reign in technology, there has never been an era of unlimited technology, the closest F1 ever got was in the early 90's since that time F1 has reduced the amount of technology in their cars.

Most fans that watch F1, not merely read about it, want extremely fast cars and great racing. Have no fear F1 will still be the fastest cars around F1 tracks and with the proposed changes racing should be even better. The cars will be a little slower to begin with but will be faster after a couple of years and even if they are a little slower consider this, last week when you watched the race in Malaysia at any point did you think "wow these cars are slower than last year".

F1 will still be F1 and will be ultra fast and still high tech but F1 is a formula series after all and it has been constantly changing for over 50 years. I have heard bitching about rule changes for 30 years everytime predictions of doom and gloom for F1, however outside nostalgia I would rather watch current cars then cars of the 70s even with the open engine formula and slicks.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:48 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
The new engine freeze restriction poses the same problem. If one engine manufacturer spends an one-time astronomical sum of money to nail down a exceptationly good engine design relative to the rest of the field, it's cars too are going to win every races for 3 straight years, and there is no chance of other engine manufacturers to catch up due to engine freeze. So what the difference ?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:54 PM
6G TLX-S

The only way to cut cost is to introduce spec engine for all teams, like the Honda spec engine in Indycar, and Cosworth spec engine for CART. But this will completely ruin the F1 series and hinder engine advancement without a doubt. Many of the engine technologies developed for F1 are eventually used in everyday cars.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:18 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

My point is even if you know every answer without looking you also know you are in the vast minority of F1 fans. The technology is F1 is still going to be astounding even if the regs go into effect as is. F1 has always had to reign in technology, there has never been an era of unlimited technology, the closest F1 ever got was in the early 90's since that time F1 has reduced the amount of technology in their cars.
I don't think anyone is disputing that. It is good to have rules stability and the like. My beef is with the FIA trying to curb the competitive nature of F1.
Just think, if the FIA freezes engine designs right now for 3 years, that means Toyota will most likely be stuck at the back for 3 years. Do you think that Toyota will stick around for 3 years as the nominated loser? Do you think the viewers will be interested in sticking around for 3 years with a large degree of certainty at the results?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Instructor

All great points.

I read yesterday however that this is already not going to happen.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/formulaone/auto/22759/

FIA Puts Forward New Proposed F1 Engine Regs
Written by: Cassio CortesParis, France. – 3/27/2006

Ferrari's Jean Todt and Renault's Flavio Briatore were among the attendants of the "informal" meeting on engine rules held by FIA president Max Mosley. (LAT Photo)

The FIA has revealed the proposed new engine regulations for Formula 1 from '08 onwards at the latest, devised in partnership with technicians and directors from Renault, Ferrari and Cosworth during a meeting last week.

Max Mosley's initial "engine freeze" proposition morphed into a prohibition of in-season engine development, with yearly updates allowed in the off-season over a five-year period. According to a statement released today, "the purpose of the [informal] meeting was to formulate proposals to modify and extend the new (2008) rules for engine homologation so as to encourage research into engine efficiency and the more effective use of available energy." Engine rev limiters will also be introduced, perhaps as early as next year as detailed on item #5.

The proposals agreed during the meeting were:

"1) The engine will be homologated for 5 years, being 2008-2012 inclusive.

2) Each year modifications to the engine can be homologated. Details will be delivered to the FIA before January 1st of the year in question, and a complete engine delivered before the first of February of that year.

3) The elements of the engine which can be changed in this way on an annual basis, are:
- ports;
- combustion chamber shape;
- valve size, shape, and angle;
- piston crown (the weight of the piston must remain the same, as must piston ring position and compression height);
- camshaft profiles and valve actuation kinematics;
- intake manifolds;
- injector nozzles (not injector actuator);
- spark plugs;
- changes to the cylinder head consequential upon and limited to those resulting from the above;

4) Changes to the engine on the “fair and equitable” principle will be limited to those that the FIA is satisfied are carried out and necessary for cost reduction or reliability. No modification will be permitted which, in the opinion of the FIA, may result in a performance gain. These changes will be published by the FIA.

5) For 2007, those present will endeavor to secure changes to the 2007 Sporting Regulations to incorporate the 2008 engine homologation regulations (Article 86(e) and Appendix 6) into the 2007 Regulations, including a limitation of engine speed."
Not great but not as bad as they made it seem initially.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:19 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

No modification will be permitted if it results in a performance gain?
Limitation on engine speed? (Whatever that means.)

Seems like the FIA is trying to regulate the performance of the engine manufacturers. The NASCARization of F1?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
No modification will be permitted if it results in a performance gain?
Limitation on engine speed? (Whatever that means.)

Seems like the FIA is trying to regulate the performance of the engine manufacturers. The NASCARization of F1?
Yup. might as well make them run carbs and restrictor plates
Old 03-28-2006, 03:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Wow.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

If you think about it, the real heart of the engine problem is that the manufacturers have effectively become huge sponsors to the teams instead of just component suppliers.

Didn't CART have a system in the 90's that banned exclusive engine deals and required the manufacturers to be capable of supplying half the field? I'd do something like that plus spec external dimensions and a price cap for the engines.

I know...keep dreaming. Fun to think about though.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Last night I typed out a novel about the potential effects significant changes to F1 (like this thread is about) might have on fans from a psychological standpoint,...........but figured it would be a little dry for you guys so I deleted it.

In any event, I think these rules are really stupid and will results in more bad than good. I already look at F1 is a less favourable light now that they are using V8's and are slower around the tracks. To answer ilitig8's question, yes I did think about how the cars were slower around the track many times during the first two GP's this season. As a race fan, I dont like hearing about cars being made slower or halts on deveopment and technological advancement. I will still watch F1, but my satisfaction level ha been diminished. These new rules certainly wont make me want to watch F1 more, and very possibly could make F1 less competitive for the next few years. I feel they are going about trying to fix their "problems" the wrong way.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Last night I typed out a novel about the potential effects significant changes to F1 (like this thread is about) might have on fans from a psychological standpoint,...........but figured it would be a little dry for you guys so I deleted it.

In any event, I think these rules are really stupid and will results in more bad than good. I already look at F1 is a less favourable light now that they are using V8's and are slower around the tracks. To answer ilitig8's question, yes I did think about how the cars were slower around the track many times during the first two GP's this season. As a race fan, I dont like hearing about cars being made slower or halts on deveopment and technological advancement. I will still watch F1, but my satisfaction level ha been diminished. These new rules certainly wont make me want to watch F1 more, and very possibly could make F1 less competitive for the next few years. I feel they are going about trying to fix their "problems" the wrong way.
First you only considered the speed around the track because everyone was talking about it and comparing it to the V10s. I am very confident that if you did not have a stop watch on the laps you wouldn't have noticed a change in speed.
I also find it funny since you thought they were slower:

Fastest lap in the Malasian GP:

2004 1:34.223
2005 1:35.483
2006 1:34.803

So actually the fastest laps were quicker this year with V8s than with no tire changes and V10s and only .6 second faster in 04 with V10s and tire changes. You just can't see 6 tenths in a lap without a stop watch!

No one likes hearing about cars being made slower, however unless you are a fan of the events during IRL practice last week then you must see that curbing the increases in speed have to occur. Further, if speeds increase much more, quite a few of the older tracks will have to be "Tilked" of dropped of the calender.

In the end I look at it like this, if your age is correct in your profile I have been watching F1 for much longer than you have been alive, I have heard the same doom and gloom stated about every regulation change for the last 30 years, some accomplished the desired effect, some didn't, however in the end it was still F1 and interesting as always, if it didn't work then they changed it.

The rules will continue to change just like I said, no regs are set in stone.

F1 will continue to be the fastest cars around any given circuit.

One last thing to consider. I would argue the engine is one of the most expensive subsystems in an F1 car to develop and replace, however of the major subsystems it has the least bearing on results. Let me illustrate, the variation between top teams horsepower is usually about 20-25hp and it tends to be the same manufacturers that produce engines in upper ranks year in and year out spending huge chunks of money just to keep up with the rest BUT those huge chunks of money don't make the difference on who wins, that almost ALWAYS is the aero and susupension/chassis. My point is you can freeze engine tech (performance wise) for a period of time and while adding stability for new teams to be able to enter F1 you have not curtailed the top teams from getting faster. Despite what people think these regs will still result in faster lap times every year and F1 will still be the quickest cars around any given track.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:05 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Billiam
If you think about it, the real heart of the engine problem is that the manufacturers have effectively become huge sponsors to the teams instead of just component suppliers.

Didn't CART have a system in the 90's that banned exclusive engine deals and required the manufacturers to be capable of supplying half the field? I'd do something like that plus spec external dimensions and a price cap for the engines.

I know...keep dreaming. Fun to think about though.
CART in the 1990's was some of the best motorsport ever.

I think your idea has floated around for awhile. Previous stumbling blocks came from Ferrari, who didn't want to supply other teams, since they were both the constructor and the engine manufacturer. However, that is changing, with Ferrari, Honda, and Toyota all having B teams (and maybe McLaren).

A byproduct of this could be the reduction of the number of engine manufacturers involved and the end of manufacturer owned teams.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
CART in the 1990's was some of the best motorsport ever.

I'll never forget everyone wanting a "Chevy" engine. I was a huge Scott Goodyear fan back then. He was estactic about "qualifying" for a Chevy for the follwing season after having a few good runs.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I would argue the engine is one of the most expensive subsystems in an F1 car to develop and replace, however of the major subsystems it has the least bearing on results. Let me illustrate, the variation between top teams horsepower is usually about 20-25hp and it tends to be the same manufacturers that produce engines in upper ranks year in and year out spending huge chunks of money just to keep up with the rest BUT those huge chunks of money don't make the difference on who wins, that almost ALWAYS is the aero and susupension/chassis
You're forgetting one important thing. More horsepower gives you the option of dragging more downforce around the track (pun intended). That's basically how McLaren dominated the '88 and '89 seasons. From everything I've read, the cars themselves were good but not really anything special. Honda's horsepower advantage simply allowed them to run more downforce. That said, Honda probably had a greater HP advantge on the field back then than the top engines do today.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

First you only considered the speed around the track because everyone was talking about it and comparing it to the V10s. I am very confident that if you did not have a stop watch on the laps you wouldn't have noticed a change in speed.
I also find it funny since you thought they were slower:

Fastest lap in the Malasian GP:

2004 1:34.223
2005 1:35.483
2006 1:34.803

So actually the fastest laps were quicker this year with V8s than with no tire changes and V10s and only .6 second faster in 04 with V10s and tire changes. You just can't see 6 tenths in a lap without a stop watch!

No one likes hearing about cars being made slower, however unless you are a fan of the events during IRL practice last week then you must see that curbing the increases in speed have to occur. Further, if speeds increase much more, quite a few of the older tracks will have to be "Tilked" of dropped of the calender.

In the end I look at it like this, if your age is correct in your profile I have been watching F1 for much longer than you have been alive, I have heard the same doom and gloom stated about every regulation change for the last 30 years, some accomplished the desired effect, some didn't, however in the end it was still F1 and interesting as always, if it didn't work then they changed it.

The rules will continue to change just like I said, no regs are set in stone.

F1 will continue to be the fastest cars around any given circuit.

One last thing to consider. I would argue the engine is one of the most expensive subsystems in an F1 car to develop and replace, however of the major subsystems it has the least bearing on results. Let me illustrate, the variation between top teams horsepower is usually about 20-25hp and it tends to be the same manufacturers that produce engines in upper ranks year in and year out spending huge chunks of money just to keep up with the rest BUT those huge chunks of money don't make the difference on who wins, that almost ALWAYS is the aero and susupension/chassis. My point is you can freeze engine tech (performance wise) for a period of time and while adding stability for new teams to be able to enter F1 you have not curtailed the top teams from getting faster. Despite what people think these regs will still result in faster lap times every year and F1 will still be the quickest cars around any given track.
I just sent you a PM because I dont want to burden everyone else with the absolutely HUGE response I wrote up for you. I think you will see we agree on more than you think. Hope you have a bit of free time.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 633 Likes on 281 Posts
lets see the PM dude.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Haha, I pm'ed him, he responded, I responded and agree with what he is saying,..........nothing too exciting astro. I thought you can read PM's anyway?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:14 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Thumbs down

From Speedtv.com:

The FIA has moved to quell an initiative from some of the manufacturer-backed Formula 1 teams to review the three-year freeze on engine development that's part of the governing body's pack of cost-saving regulations set to debut in 2008.

he Sporting Working Group, formed by one senior representative of each team and chaired by an FIA member, took a vote on the current freeze proposal ahead of this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix. FIA president Max Mosley, however, insisted that the freeze spanning from '08 to '10 will go ahead as planned.

"The 2008 Formula 1 World Championship is a competition for cars with homologated engines," Mosley stated in a fax sent to all teams and made public by autosport.com. "The purpose of homologation is to reduce drastically the cost of engine development and prevent an unacceptable escalation of performance.

"By entering the Championship, a team accepts the regulations as published and, equally importantly, is entitled to rely on them when deciding whether or not to enter. A major factor in deciding whether or not to enter is the cost of competing. No responsible governing body could agree to rule changes which increase the cost of competing once entries have been accepted.

"There can therefore be no question of abandoning engine homologation or making any other change to the 2008 regulations which would significantly increase the budgets of the teams which have agreed to compete."

Mosley's stance ends any hopes of the SWG's amendment against the freeze being approved by the FIA's F1 Commission and World Motor Sport Council, which would be mandatory in order to alter the 2008 rules.
I guess it's official now. I believe Ferrari has bribed the FIA just like they bribed Italian football.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,241 Likes on 3,677 Posts
Engine design: 3 years? C'mon Max! On the good side, at least the manfrs won't be developing too many engine designs simultaneously like last year (3 at once)

tire warmers-none! that blows, nothing like racing on cold slicks, which in itself, is a good thing.

I gotta say, I get the overwhelming feeling this series is getting over-regulated to the point of it becoming another Barber-Dodge series.

Parc Ferme from Friday till Sunday? That just plain blows. Why show up on Friday then? Just show up Saturday, qualify and be done with it. Fuck!

One thing is cool though: even though there are two less cylinders and 1.1 liters less in the engines, the cars are very very close to the records set previously w/ V10's due to the high cornering speeds.' I agree w/ the testing ban too, that is just insane some of the amounts of testing being done and at tracks w/ no medical professionals around to boot!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Im confused F-C,....... did Ferrari want the engine freeze???
Old 05-17-2006, 10:54 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Im confused F-C,....... did Ferrari want the engine freeze???
Here is what we know, or at least what we appear to know, gleaned from web stories:

During the last weekend, the constructors voted on several technical issues.

1) Push back the date of the engine design submission to March 2007. I think it is currently scheduled for next month. Only Ferrari, Red Bull, and Toro Rosso were against it.

2) Increase the design freeze from 3 years to 5 years. Only Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, and Prodrive were for it.

3) Abolish the 3 year design freezes completely. 8 out of the 12 teams wanted to abolish the rule. No list of who voted for what was released, but based on 2), we can guess that Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, and Prodrive were against it.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Ahhhhhhh ^^, very interesting.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:06 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by F-C
"By entering the Championship, a team accepts the regulations as published and, equally importantly, is entitled to rely on them when deciding whether or not to enter. A major factor in deciding whether or not to enter is the cost of competing. No responsible governing body could agree to rule changes which increase the cost of competing once entries have been accepted.
If Mosley really want to prevent the increase in the cost of competing once entries have been accepted, he should set out additional rules to freeze the chassis, gearbox, suspension, and aero designs too. Who said it is cheap to run a wind tunnel and perform aero design tests.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F-C
Here is what we know, or at least what we appear to know, gleaned from web stories:

During the last weekend, the constructors voted on several technical issues.

1) Push back the date of the engine design submission to March 2007. I think it is currently scheduled for next month. Only Ferrari, Red Bull, and Toro Rosso were against it.

2) Increase the design freeze from 3 years to 5 years. Only Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, and Prodrive were for it.

3) Abolish the 3 year design freezes completely. 8 out of the 12 teams wanted to abolish the rule. No list of who voted for what was released, but based on 2), we can guess that Ferrari, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, and Prodrive were against it.

Well in the interest of accuracy Flavio and Renault are the ones that originally proposed the idea of an engine freeze last year. Now Ferrari seems to just be saying this was what we signed up for so this is what we should have. Renault proposed it when they had the best engine out there, Ferrari is just riding the wave since they know they have built the best engines in F1 when averaged over the last 8-9 years.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:19 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

There seems to be a small chance that the rules might still be changed. Who knows what kind of politics are being played behind the scenes. Ferrari=Agnelli=Mafia

Quick Reply: FIA has gone crazy