Briatore UN-Banned

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009 | 06:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Briatore UN-Banned

Holeeeee Shit!

Briatore and Symonds leave Renault
Wednesday 16th September 2009

Renault managing director Flavio Briatore and executive director of engineering Pat Simonds have left the Formula One team.

Renault have also decided not to dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, the team have announced.

A statement from the team read: "The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

"It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.

"Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment."

Despite this latest twist in the 'crashgate' scandal, the extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council scheduled for Monday at the FIA's headquarters in Paris will still go ahead.

Although Briatore and Symonds have fallen on their sword, and their actions will be taken into account, the WMSC may still impose severe sanctions on the team now they have chosen not to launch a defence.

The FIA charged Renault with "conspiring with its driver, Nelson Piquet Jnr, to cause a deliberate crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix with the aim of causing the deployment of the safety car to the advantage of its other driver, Fernando Alonso''.

Alonso went on to take the chequered flag at Formula One's first night race, his first victory for two years, and at a time when Renault were considering quitting the sport.

The French manufacturer will almost certainly plead for clemency from the FIA as they will claim the actions of two men should not affect the employment of nearly 700 other staff within the team.

The FIA have the power to exclude Renault from the championship, although it is anticipated such a strict penalty will not be administered.
Old 09-16-2009 | 08:29 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Since he's already been fired, Symonds doesn't have much more to lose, so he just might take up on Max's offer to come out clean to avoid a ban. My prediction, Flavio is banned for life, Renault gets a heavy penalty, Symonds ends up with some small team in F3. Who comes out smelling like roses? Piquet Snr comes up with $$$ and places Nelsinho in a seat at Lotus F1.
Old 09-16-2009 | 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Like Flav said, even if you tell someone to rob a bank and they do it, are you responsible? No, the robber is the culpable one therefore, Piquet Jr should get a lifetime ban as well, otherwise Flav/Symonds are in a very unfair situation.
Old 09-16-2009 | 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Like Flav said, even if you tell someone to rob a bank and they do it, are you responsible? No, the robber is the culpable one therefore, Piquet Jr should get a lifetime ban as well, otherwise Flav/Symonds are in a very unfair situation.
I agree.
Old 09-17-2009 | 12:32 AM
Dan
Safety Car

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78668
Old 09-17-2009 | 06:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Good find Dan.
Old 09-17-2009 | 08:15 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Uh, oh, I have money with ING.
Old 09-17-2009 | 08:17 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78680

Briatore: I quit to save Renault

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, September 17th 2009, 10:40 GMT

Flavio Briatore says he left the Renault team in order to save the French squad, ahead of the decisive FIA meeting to face allegations of race-fixing.

The flamboyant Italian, together with director of engineering Pat Symonds, yesterday left the team he had led since Renault returned to Formula 1 in 2000.

The French outfit said in a statement it would not dispute the allegations of fixing the result of last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

Briatore said he felt it was his duty to quit Renault, hoping the FIA will take a more lenient view.

"I was just trying to save the team. It's my duty. That's the reason I've finished," Briatore was quoted as saying by British newspapers.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said it was a shame Briatore, who led Renault to two constructors' titles, had to end his F1 career like that.

"It is a pity that Flavio has ended his Formula 1 career in this way," Ecclestone the Daily Mirror. "You can't defend him at all. What he did was completely unnecessary. It's a pity that its happened."

Ecclestone added: "He told me recently that he didn't want to finish up like me, playing with racing cars at my age. So at least he's been saved that embarrassment.

"It (the sport) has recovered from so many things when people have said it was finished and it will recover from this. It was supposed to be finished when Ayrton Senna died. It was supposed to be finished when Michael Schumacher retired.

"People say its been a torrid year but it always is in F1. There's always something going on. It's never peaceful."
Translation: You can't fire me, I quit!
Old 09-17-2009 | 10:23 AM
n00b

Originally Posted by F-C
Translation: You can't fire me, I quit!
Another translation: Yes, I fixed the race!!!
Old 09-17-2009 | 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Hey F-C don't worry about having money tied up with ING-now they'll have more since they are pulling out of F1 anyways!
Old 09-21-2009 | 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Briatore Banned As Renault Escapes

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...nault-escapes/
Renault has received a penalty of a suspended disqualification from the FIA World Championship that will be in place until 2011, the World Motor Sport Council decided in Paris today.

The key outcome of today’s hearing is that Flavio Briatore has been banned indefinitely from any involvement in international motor sport. This will also affect is involvement in the GP2 series, while drivers under his management control – including Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber and Heikki Kovalainen – will not be issued super licenses if he remains in charge of their management.

Meanwhile Pat Symonds has been banned for five years.

The full verdict reads as follows:

At an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council held in Paris on 21 September 2009, the ING Renault F1 team (“Renault F1”) admitted that the team had conspired with its driver Nelson Piquet Jr. to cause a deliberate crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, in breach of the International Sporting Code and F1 Sporting Regulations.

Renault F1 stated at the meeting that it had conducted a detailed internal investigation, which found that: (i) Flavio Briatore, Pat Symonds and Nelson Piquet Jr. had conspired to cause the crash; and (ii) no other team member was involved in the conspiracy.

The FIA has conducted its own detailed investigation and its findings correspond with those of Renault F1.

At the meeting of the World Motor Sport Council, Renault F1 made the following points in mitigation:

- It had accepted, at the earliest practicable opportunity, that it committed the offenses with which it was charged and cooperated fully with the FIA’s investigation;

- It had confirmed that Mr. Briatore and Mr. Symonds were involved in the conspiracy and ensured that they left the team;

- It apologized unreservedly to the FIA and to the sport for the harm caused by its actions;

- It committed to paying the costs incurred by the FIA in its investigation; and

- Renault (the parent company, as opposed to Renault F1) committed to making a significant contribution to FIA safety-related projects.

Nelson Piquet Jr. also apologized unreservedly to the World Motor Sport Council for his part in the conspiracy.

The following decision was taken:

The World Motor Sport Council finds that Renault F1 team members Flavio Briatore, Pat Symonds and Nelson Piquet Jr. conspired to cause a deliberate crash at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. The World Motor Sport Council therefore finds Renault F1, which, under article 123 of the International Sporting Code, is responsible for the actions of its employees, in breach of Articles 151(c) and point 2(c) of Chapter IV of Appendix L of the Code, and Articles 3.2, 30.3 and/or 39.1 of the Formula One Sporting Regulations.

The World Motor Sport Council considers Renault F1’s breaches relating to the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix to be of unparalleled severity. Renault F1’s breaches not only compromised the integrity of the sport but also endangered the lives of spectators, officials, other competitors and Nelson Piquet Jr. himself. The World Motor Sport Council considers that offenses of this severity merit permanent
disqualification from the FIA Formula One World Championship. However, having regard to the points in mitigation mentioned above and in particular the steps taken by Renault F1 to identify and address the failings within its team and condemn the actions of the individuals involved, the WMSC has decided to suspend Renault F1’s disqualification until the end of the 2011 season. The World Motor Sport Council will only activate this disqualification if Renault F1 is found guilty of a comparable breach during that time.

In addition the World Motor Sport Council notes Renault F1’s apology and agrees that the team should pay the costs of the investigation. It also accepts the offer of a significant contribution to the FIA’s safety work.

As regards Mr. Briatore, the World Motor Sport Council declares that, for an unlimited period, the FIA does not intend to sanction any International Event, Championship, Cup, Trophy, Challenge or Series involving Mr. Briatore in any capacity whatsoever, or grant any license to any Team or other entity engaging Mr. Briatore in any capacity whatsoever. It also hereby instructs all officials present at FIA-sanctioned events not to permit Mr. Briatore access to any areas under the FIA’s jurisdiction. Furthermore, it does not intend to renew any Super license granted to any driver who is associated (through a management contract or otherwise) with Mr. Briatore, or any entity or individual associated with Mr. Briatore. In determining that such instructions should be applicable for an unlimited period, the World Motor Sport Council has had regard not only to the severity of the breach in which Mr. Briatore was complicit but also to his actions in continuing to deny his participation in the breach despite all the evidence.

As regards Mr. Symonds, the World Motor Sport Council declares that, for a period of five years, the FIA does not intend to sanction any International Event, Championship, Cup, Trophy, Challenge or Series involving Mr. Symonds in any capacity whatsoever, or grant any license to any Team or other entity engaging Mr. Symonds in any capacity whatsoever. It hereby instructs, for a period of five years, all officials present at FIA-sanctioned events not to permit Mr. Symonds access to any areas under the FIA’s jurisdiction. In determining that such instructions should be effective for a period of five years the World Motor Sport Council has had regard: (i) to Mr. Symonds’ acceptance that he took part in the conspiracy; and (ii) to his communication to the meeting of the World Motor Sport Council that it was to his “eternal regret and shame” that he participated in the conspiracy.

As regards Mr. Piquet Jr., the World Motor Sport Council confirms the immunity from individual sanctions under the International Sporting Code in relation to this incident, which the FIA had granted to him in exchange for volunteering his evidence.

As regards Fernando Alonso, the World Motor Sport Council thanks him for cooperating with the FIA’s enquiries and for attending the meeting, and concludes that Mr. Alonso was not in any way involved in Renault F1’s breach of the regulations.

Renault’s decision not to contest the charges against it, and oust those responsible, was looked upon favorably by the FIA.
Old 09-21-2009 | 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

No massive fine? I thought for sure they were gonna get whacked-HARD!
Old 09-21-2009 | 10:04 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

No massive fine? I thought for sure they were gonna get whacked-HARD!
Hard to believe. I guess the FIA is trying to keep Renault in F1 as hard as possible.

The ruling also doesn't mention the results of Singapore 08. Does that mean Alonso and Renault gets to keep their win? Hard to believe.
Old 09-21-2009 | 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Hard to believe. I guess the FIA is trying to keep Renault in F1 as hard as possible.

The ruling also doesn't mention the results of Singapore 08. Does that mean Alonso and Renault gets to keep their win? Hard to believe.
Sounds like they just wanted a fall guy
Old 09-21-2009 | 11:26 AM
Photography Nerd

I'm amazed that they get to hold on to their win. That's just not right.
Old 09-21-2009 | 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

I can't remember: could Massa have won that race if he didn't tear his fuelhose off in the pits? I don't remember where he was vs. Alonso at the time.
Old 09-21-2009 | 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

I can't remember: could Massa have won that race if he didn't tear his fuelhose off in the pits? I don't remember where he was vs. Alonso at the time.
He would have won that race,...or at the very least picked up some good points. IIRC he was comfortably leading.
Old 09-22-2009 | 08:10 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Yes, Massa would almost certainly have won that race, and probably the world championship.
Old 09-22-2009 | 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 09-22-2009 | 03:24 PM
Drifting

If only they could give the championship to its rightful winner
Old 09-23-2009 | 06:13 AM
Senior Moderator

I thought Massa would've come out in 4th position behind Rosberg/Hamilton and Alonso. He certainly would have more than zero points out of that race if he didn't botch his stop.
Old 09-23-2009 | 09:09 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Renault has confirmed that it has ended its involvement in criminal proceedings against Nelson Piquet Sr and Jr for alleged blackmail, although former team boss Flavio Briatore is expected to push ahead with the case.
Give it a rest Flavio.
Old 09-23-2009 | 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

"Witness X" sealed Flav's fate it's being reported. Supposedly this person was present during the conversation when Flav, Symonds and Piece-a-shit-quet were planning the crash. Witness X said Flav knew all about it and directed it be done. I don't understand why they call him Witness X--there's 4 people present at a brief meeting, it's not like we aren't going to learn who it is (given immunity as well btw)
Old 09-23-2009 | 12:09 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

X will remain a mystery unless Flavio goes ahead with the lawsuit, in which case he will be called out. Curious why Piquet didn't mention X in his letter.

My guess is that X is Carlos Ghosn, it makes perfect sense.
Old 09-24-2009 | 05:38 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Renault F1 sponsors ING and Mutua Madrilena are both leaving the team with immediate effect. This will create additional costs for the Renault company in the next couple of months. It will also give the French car company clear grounds to take action against former employees Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds, if it chooses to pursue them for damages.
I think Mutua Madrilena is connected to Alonso. Further proof that Alonso is going to Ferrari?
Old 09-24-2009 | 06:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
X will remain a mystery unless Flavio goes ahead with the lawsuit, in which case he will be called out. Curious why Piquet didn't mention X in his letter.

My guess is that X is Carlos Ghosn, it makes perfect sense.
I seriously doubt it was Ghosn, more than likely it was his Piquet's race engineer or assistant race engineer. They go through strategy with their driver before a race typically with the technical director present.
Old 09-25-2009 | 08:50 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I seriously doubt it was Ghosn, more than likely it was his Piquet's race engineer or assistant race engineer. They go through strategy with their driver before a race typically with the technical director present.
The part about Ghosn was a joke. But seriously, I'm very curious why Mister X is a mystery. Piquet never mentions X in his letter and statement to the FIA, so obviously he is trying to protect this guy. Alonso?
Old 01-05-2010 | 09:31 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Former Renault Team Principal Flavio Briatore has won his court case against the FIA in the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris. In the case, Briatore claimed that the life ban from Formula 1 given to him by the FIA was excessive and unfair.
Un
Old 01-05-2010 | 12:41 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Old 01-05-2010 | 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow...
Old 01-05-2010 | 09:06 PM
Unofficial Goat

Not entirely shocking IMO. The FIA is about as useless as they come.
Old 01-06-2010 | 05:44 AM
Senior Moderator

an appeal by the FIA will ensure the ban remains in effect until a higher court either affirms/reverses the most recent decision. I bet it is appealed.
Old 01-06-2010 | 08:56 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

an appeal by the FIA will ensure the ban remains in effect until a higher court either affirms/reverses the most recent decision. I bet it is appealed.
If it is appealed, then it will confirm the feelings that Max is still pulling the strings behind Todt.
Old 02-02-2010 | 01:07 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

F1 has turned to Michael Schumacher for additional motivation in 2010, according to exiled former team boss Flavio Briatore.

Despite overturning his FIA ban in the wake of the crashgate scandal, the 59-year-old Italian has said he is unlikely to ever return to the pitwall.

"Michael will have to work hard," said Briatore on Monday, as huge scrums of reporters and photographers chased the 41-year-old German around the Valencia test circuit.

"His comeback has given Formula One a new motivation," he told Rai Radio 1.

"If Schumacher is not competitive, it will be a disaster," Briatore added.

Briatore, who ran the Benetton team in the mid 90s where Schumacher won his first two titles, said he is not so sure the German will be able to resume where he left his last championship contest in 2006.

"It's not his 41 years, but the three years he was away from Formula One. And you don't race faster if you color your hair," said the Italian, referring to Schumacher's frank admission in a German newspaper this week.

Briatore also seemed to agree with a hostile Italian media contingent that has branded Schumacher's switch from Ferrari to Mercedes as an act of betrayal.

"Schumacher wanted to return with Ferrari but did not have the chance. It then came to this inelegant betrayal.

"He is like any other: he talks, but when it comes to actions it is according to his personal interest."

Briatore predicted Red Bull-Ferrari-McLaren-Mercedes as the likely pecking order in 2010, and slammed the typical Grand Prix as "boring".
Go ahead Flav, burn all of your remaining bridges.
Old 02-02-2010 | 05:50 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Briatore also seemed to agree with a hostile Italian media contingent that has branded Schumacher's switch from Ferrari to Mercedes as an act of betrayal.
I swear, is everyone in Italy just in denial that the Mercedes "Junior Team" ever existed? Do they think it was some impostor that drove these cars?

Last edited by Billiam; 02-02-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2010 | 08:46 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Billiam
I swear, is everyone in Italy just in denial that the Mercedes "Junior Team" ever existed? Do they think it was some impostor that drove these cars?

Nah, just typical Ferrari tifosi arrogance that the only team worth driving for is Ferrari.
Old 02-03-2010 | 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Nah, just typical Ferrari tifosi arrogance that the only team worth driving for is Ferrari.
But its true isnt it