Adrian Newey: The hottest property in F1 but what is his secret?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,581 Posts
Adrian Newey: The hottest property in F1 but what is his secret?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...t-2287540.html
Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,119 Likes on 803 Posts
Lame article. It didn't reveal any secrets at all.

Don't forget his cars with March. Either incredibly brilliant or fantastically lucky.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,110 Likes on 3,614 Posts
Yes, lame-o
Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Agree, I just like it when the car designers get the lime light instead of the drivers
Old 05-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,110 Likes on 3,614 Posts
One thing I did not know-I thought Newey left Williams because they would not renew Hill's contract
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I need to find a way to get my hands on one of these "plentiful bundle of boodles".
Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 AM
AZ Community Team

I've never seen a statement from Newey on why he left Williams. I've read he wanted to be technical director (Head was at the time), and I also read he was upset on how Frank Williams dumped Hill in 96. The stake in Williams as a company is the first time I read that.

When Williams dumped Hill, it was late in the season and all the decent drives for 1997 had been taken so he went to Arrows. There was some British racing award ceremony for Hill about a decade ago and Frank Williams sent a video congratulating him on the award but more importantly he also apologized in the video for leaving Damon without a decent drive to defend his title by waiting so late in the season.

I've read stories that Hill is a decent guy and was well liked within the Williams team, but kept his feelings about Frank to himself. His last year in F1 with his poor performance at Jordan, was the only time I would say he was indifferent.

Hill's wife Georgie was furious about the salary Hill got when he was at Williams. He made a very small fraction of what his teammates did until he moved up to the lead driver role. I thought for 1993 when he was partnered with Prost, his salary was $400K and Prost got ~30X that.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,119 Likes on 803 Posts
Adrian Newey has revealed he turned down a "ridiculously large" offer from Ferrari to leave Red Bull when it started struggling under new power unit regulations in 2014.

Having won the previous four constructors' and drivers' championship titles, Red Bull's run of success was brought to an end when Mercedes started to dominate under the V6 power unit regulations. Revealing he was approached by Mercedes and an LMP1 team at the time, the Red Bull chief technical officer admits the most tempting offer came from Ferrari.

"I'd been courted by them before, but this time they meant business," Newey wrote in his book 'How to Build a Car.' "I traveled to visit Luca Montezemolo, the president of Ferrari at the time, seeing him at his farmhouse close to Tuscany. We held serious talks and their offer was amazing.

"Luca wanted to give me the whole Ferrari operation, road and racecar. The promise was of an almost film-star lifestyle and the most ridiculously large financial offer, well over double the already generous salary I was receiving at Red Bull.

"I had a very difficult decision to make, and it was one that cost me many nights' sleep as I went over and over the various factors; family, cultural, work differences, the chances of success or failure, the repercussions of either... But in the end I thanked Luca and turned him down."

Explaining the difficulty of the decision to Sky Sports, Newey says his past achievements with Red Bull were a deciding factor despite the lack of competitiveness at the time.

"It became evident that the Renault was a long way behind the Mercedes in particular and to some extent the Ferrari – with no obvious end in sight. Renault didn't seem to be willing to put the funding in to really sort the problem out, which was the depressing and worrying bit.

"I was in a bit of a difficult position. I didn't want to walk out of Red Bull because it feels like home and I'd been heavily involved from the start with Christian [Horner], building the team up from the ashes of Jaguar to where it was today. I didn't want to walk out on that but equally I didn't want to be in a position where we were operating with one hand tied behind our back in the engine department.

"It was a very difficult decision. Ferrari came up with an incredible offer, very attractive, and it caused me a lot of sleepless nights deciding what to do and who to go for. In the end, it would have felt wrong to walk out on Red Bull."
So Ferrari tried to get both Vettel and Newey in 2014. Would have been interesting if they both went to the Ferrari stable. Can you imagine an Adrian Newey designed Ferrari supercar?