Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Ultimate Discount broker? Ameritrade's Freetrade.com

Old 02-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Discount broker? Ameritrade's Freetrade.com

Seems like the transaction fees at Freetrade.com are ridiculously low!

$5000 to open, no maintenance fee, no per share charge
-2year experience w/ discount broker required
-20 commission free trades per month, after that:
$3/trade for 21 to 100th trade
$2/trade for 101 to 200th trade
$1/trade for 201 or greater trades
-Includes market, limit, stop, short sells, odd-lot, and OTCBB orders

How can any discount broker make any money when newly established ones set the bar lower and lower these days?

Anyone signed up yet?

How to Qualify for an Account

Freetrade by Ameritrade is a brokerage firm aimed at a particular niche market. Therefore, we can only service a special type of client, a client that will qualify and agree to our type of operation.

We only offer Individual, Joint and Trust accounts. IRA and corporate accounts are not offered. U.S. regulations require that account information be verified. Freetrade verifies your account information against commercial databases in an automated process. U.S. citizens, resident aliens and permanent resident information may be verified. At this time, non-US resident information cannot be verified against these commercial database in an automated process. Consequently, Freetrade is not offered to non-US residents. We only offer margin accounts.* Of course, you do not have to use margin if you stay within your cash funds.

In order for you to become a client of Freetrade, you must be self-sufficient in operating your own account and use of the Internet. Two years experience as a client of a discount broker is required to open a Freetrade account. Not all clients of a discount broker decide that they like the service; they want the full service of a full commission broker. We need to know that you qualify as a satisfied discount broker client.

We also require that you have at least two years of experience as an Internet user. As the Internet is the only way that we service clients, you will probably not be happy with Freetrade unless you are experienced and competent with this method of communication.

To open an account, you must apply online - see links below. You need to agree to the terms of the account, fill out our online application and send it electronically. Account applications for trusts must be returned via fax.

You may open the account at any time. However, in order to activate the account you will need to deposit $5,000 into the account through either a bank wire or brokerage transfer. Electronic Funds Management (ACH) is available after the initial deposit.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am guessing they make money off pushing certain funds to its clients?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Hey,
I have researched heavily, freetrade is great if you have 5k, quick transactions too from what I hear!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm back, biatch.

So is the catch that you must use any "discount" broker for two years?? What does that mean? I need to have had an Ameritrade/Etrade account for 2 years?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering if they prefer you have that experience or if they actually verify it. Basically, it's a bare bones trading platform with NO help whatsoever. It's good if you have your own research tools and know what the hell you are doing.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

They verify it from what I was told when I emailed them
Old 02-11-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm back, biatch.

Originally Posted by Renegade
They verify it from what I was told when I emailed them
crap. :shakehead
Old 02-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz
I am guessing they make money off pushing certain funds to its clients?
Most of the discount brokers couldn't stay in business on what they charge for a trade. They make their money on a few pennies of bid/ask spread on trades. That's why they offer so many "free" trades and just love frequent traders.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jdone
Most of the discount brokers couldn't stay in business on what they charge for a trade. They make their money on a few pennies of bid/ask spread on trades. That's why they offer so many "free" trades and just love frequent traders.
You mean brokers have varying bid/ask ranges? Premium brokers would have a more favorable range than discount brokers?
Old 02-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Best D-Line in the NFL

No! Thats not true, bid/ask range doesnt vary upon the broker! Thats a straight out lie!
Old 02-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Suzuka Master

I may have misinterpreted jdone's statement, I think he really means that the range is still assumed to be fixed, its just that discount brokers are betting on volume trades to collect on the bid/ask range.

More inexpensive transactions-->more volume-->more transaction collection from bid/ask range.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KavexTrax
I may have misinterpreted jdone's statement, I think he really means that the range is still assumed to be fixed, its just that discount brokers are betting on volume trades to collect on the bid/ask range.

More inexpensive transactions-->more volume-->more transaction collection from bid/ask range.
Yes, they live on volume.