Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

The "official" housing bubble thread

Old 06-01-2005, 06:55 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
COLLECTIVE INSANITY
Betting Against the House
The only thing crazier than buying in a bubble? Gambling on when it's going to pop.
FORTUNE
Tuesday, May 31, 2005
By Justin Fox

As any Londoner with a lick of sense will tell you, house prices in the British capital—up 200% over the past decade—are overdue for a correction. And thanks to the miracle of modern derivatives markets, London's real estate pessimists can, unlike their sadly disadvantaged counterparts in New York City or Los Angeles, put their money where their fears are by hedging their houses with warrants that will pay off if British housing prices drop.

Only ... Londoners aren't buying. Trading in the put warrants on the London Stock Exchange is scant, and prices have dropped steadily since they were issued last year. "People in London are all saying the bubble has peaked and it's going down," says Yale economist Robert Shiller, who plans to introduce similar securities in the U.S. "But they don't do anything about it."

Can you really blame them? Pessimists have been warning for years that house prices can't keep rising at their current torrid pace-15.1% a year in the U.S., according to the National Association of Realtors. Someday they will be proved right. But ever since the Dutch went nuts over tulip bulbs in the 1630s, figuring out when a bubble will burst has proved a task too difficult for even the finest minds (and finest computers). The end may be inevitable, but there's no telling when or how it will occur.

This is the strange reality of financial bubbles. When one really gets going, the people who—correctly—warn that it won't go on can be wrong year after year after year. Meanwhile, the overenthusiastic, ill-informed sorts who cast such worries to the wind can get seriously rich. Conventional economic theory holds that market prices are set by prudent and rational buyers and sellers. When all the profits flow to the imprudent and the irrational, though, they set the prices—and economic laws temporarily cease to apply.

Yale's Shiller, the world's leading expert on asset prices gone wild, argues that this is happening in real estate markets right now. The second edition of his bestseller, Irrational Exuberance, includes a new chapter making the case that we are in a housing bubble. But there's still that pesky question of when it all will end. At least part of Shiller's stellar reputation these days can be attributed to the fortunate coincidence that the first edition of his book hit stores just as stock prices peaked in March 2000. "When I came out with the second edition, I was wondering if I would be as lucky in timing the real estate market," Shiller says. "I don't think I will be. Real estate in the U.S. has enough upward momentum to keep going for a while."

At a conference on behavioral finance put on in May by Yale's School of Management, Shiller delivered a keynote speech on the parallels between the stock bubble of the 1990s and the real estate craziness of today. Tellingly, though, the rest of the day's discussions barely touched on bubbles at all. It's not that the assembled Yale professors, Wall Street traders, and hedge fund managers disagreed with Shiller's arguments. It's just that they have come to despair of finding a reliable way to make money off the periodic insanities of the markets.

In the late 1990s, for example, there was no shortage of smart Wall Streeters who thought the stock market was overvalued. But those who bet against stocks too early were wiped out, or at least lost clients by the boatload. As a result, markets came to be dominated not by smart Wall Streeters but by the nitwits who thought prices would go up forever. Until, as was inevitable, prices stopped rising.

Why was this inevitable? Because an asset derives its true value from the income that it will throw off in the future. With a stock that means, strictly speaking, the dividends it pays. With an owner-occupied house, it's what economists call "imputed rent"—what you would have to pay to rent an equivalent house.

This means that growth in asset prices cannot sustainably outstrip economic growth, because profits and rents tend over time to rise in step with—or often a couple of steps behind—the economy as a whole. Assets can sometimes be revalued upward when investors reassess the riskiness of those income flows, as seems to have happened with stocks during the second half of the 20th century. But that's a one-time jump. Asset prices simply cannot keep growing faster than the economy ad infinitum.

To bring the argument back to houses: In many U.S. markets today, the monthly cost of buying a house is significantly higher than the monthly rent on an equivalent house. So by the "imputed rent" test, it makes no sense to buy. People buy anyway because they assume that house prices will keep rising, meaning they can sell out later for a profit. That of course requires that another buyer will come along who also assumes that prices will keep rising, which will require yet another such optimistic buyer down the road, and so on, and so on. This happens to be the definition of a Ponzi scheme.

In reality, the long-run rate of housing price appreciation in the U.S. and elsewhere dramatically trails economic growth. That's because, over time, the main determinant of house prices has been building costs, and as the productivity of the construction industry has risen, inflation-adjusted costs have dropped. In the most expensive real estate markets today it is land scarcity that is driving prices up. But that can't go on forever: At a certain point the high price of land will drive away the very economic activity that made the land valuable.

In other words, this real estate market craziness cannot continue. But to make a bet about when it's going to end—now that would be really crazy.

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/subs/...066846,00.html
Old 06-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Real Estate Bubble: Investment U's Advice on When to Sell

Press Release Source: Investment U

The Real Estate Bubble: Investment U's Advice on When to Sell
Thursday June 2, 9:17 am ET

BALTIMORE, June 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Last week, the National Association of Realtors reported dramatic gains in home price data for the last year. The data showed the highest number in the last 25 years for metropolitan areas with double-digit price increases.

"Real Estate today is where tech was in the year 2000," said Richard Russell of Dow Theory Letters, who predicted that the bubble is about to burst. Russell reported that:

-- Over one out of every three homes bought in the last year was bought
as a second home/investment.
-- In 2004, 40% of all new jobs created in Russell's hometown of San Diego
were related to real estate.

The numbers show that people have forgotten about value -- a classic sign of a bubble.

However, Russell may turn out to be wrong. Possibly, the current situation is more comparable to 1999 - a bit before the tech bubble burst ... when there was still a little life left in the market.

One extremely important thing to remember is that real estate is not like stocks. When you don't want a stock anymore, you can sell immediately. It's not so easy in real estate. When the market goes bad, it can take some time to get out -- and after a long wait you'll probably end up taking the first offer that comes.

Steve Sjuggerud of Investment U http://www.investmentu.com tells his readers, "It's time to start unwinding your slew of properties, particularly if you have a lot of debt. Don't get caught with debt at the top of the market."

As an extremely rough rule of thumb, work your way down to a maximum mortgage load of 50% of the value of your real estate. That way, you can handle any real estate crisis comfortably, whatever it may be.

It's impossible to predict exactly how bad a real estate "crisis" can be. The bubble could deflate politely over many years, where gains in real estate are just plain flat for a decade (after inflation). Or the bubble could just plain bust.

For real estate investing resources and expertise you can use today, go to http://www.investmentu.com . Dr. Steve Sjuggerud, Alex Green, and D.R. Barton are available for interviews. Contact Juan Munoz at 1-410-223-2693 jmunoz@oxfordclub.com.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050602/phth010.html?.v=13
Old 06-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Goldmember

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good article. I invest in real estate for a living and I've done well for the last few years. My personal wealth is probably 95% in real estate which many people will say is not prudent. My view is that there are two types of people who bitch about the real estate market bubble. The type that doesn't own a home yet and is "waiting the the time is right" to buy a home. The second type is... err, there's no second type. If a home owner really thought that their home value was going to go down, they should sell, rent while prices drop, then buy again. But you will rarely see that. I've heard of people doing that but typically, you'll hear horror stories about how they couldn't afford to buy something or had to buy something much smaller than what they had because prices went up.

What people also forget is that when prices go down, it's typically because interest rates have gone up (all other things being equal such as desireability of the area and no massive resession). When interest rates go up, the monthly payments go up. And most real estate professionals know that the bottom half of the real estate buyers out there make their decision to purchase based upon the best home they can find at a certain monthly payment level. While prices may have dropped, the higher financing cost means that you will not be able to afford any bigger or nicer house than when prices were high.

There's 2 main reasons why the US government gives tax incentives to homeowners. It provides forced savings and a stabilizing effect to neighborhoods and lives. People who own don't move around as much, they have savings they build up, and they have piece of mind that comes from owning your own home.

I do agree that the housing "bubble" has kept the economy afloat. I don't understand why that's a bad thing. An economy is nothing more than the collective economic activities. The best economies are the ones that are highly motivated to produce, consume, and R&D, over and over again. That fury of activity is furthered by increasing the "speed" of money. That is how often it trades hands. The goal of the U.S. and the housing industry should be to sustain this as long as it can without making itself off balance by over-producing. The banks and the lenders actually have the most say in all of this and as long as they slow down their lending to developers in the next few years, the demand should more than meet supply.

I actually went to Yale and studied under Shiller. He's a really smart guy obviously but one thing I learned about academics is that it's easy to talk in broad generalizations, but it's hard to make money off of it. I'm 27 and I probably made more money than he did this year. Am I worried about the bottom falling out? I'm keeping an eye out for signs that the market will decline in SD. I suspect it will happen when the economy cools, interest rates go up, and the population growth here slows. But I don't see that happening at all in the next few years. I think I'm in a good position to make some more money here in SD for the forseeable future. While ppl predict a bubble, I will be making money.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Goldmember

Here's the number 1 driver of real estate and people rarely talk about it. Ready??? POPULATION GROWTH. The simple math is that population growth is exponential. Housing starts and growth is linear. You do the math. Population growth will always keep the demand for housing there.

The only difference going forward will be how difficult it will be for the first time home buyer. In pretty much every city, the cost to develop housing is going up. Developers maximize what they can make by building the two types of homes that make the most money, downtown condos and large single family homes. Typically, that leaves dilapidated older condos and crappy little houses for the first time homebuyer. And it's getting harder and harder for the first time home buyer to buy something they like. I think the only thing to worry about is what the distribution of the home prices are and how that correlates to the us population. We are building more and more higher end homes, and the older neighborhoods are getting demoed for high density condos. The separation between home owners and renters will grow alongside income spread between the poor and rich.

My prediction is that the poor will truly be priced out of the market for any desireable neighborhood in the future much worse than they are now. Instead of worrying about real estate bubbles, we should be freaking out about the lack of housing stock which is driving up home prices so much.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by scl23
... Housing starts and growth is linear. You do the math.
Are you sure about this?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:16 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Here's the number 1 driver of real estate and people rarely talk about it. Ready??? POPULATION GROWTH. The simple math is that population growth is exponential. Housing starts and growth is linear. You do the math. Population growth will always keep the demand for housing there.

I hate it when I hear this bs explanation(no offense). So let me get this straight, was population growth not a factor 10 years ago? How about 5 years ago? How about 2 years ago? It doesnt justify the HUGE jump in prices in certain markets. If a house costs 20% more than it did 2 years ago, how you that be a result of population growth?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Safety Car

scl23, you post is very reminiscent of the things people said when the stock market was a bubble. I still believe this is the middle of the end of this particular cycle, even the third quarter in 4 quarter game.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:57 PM
The Designer

I think perhaps certain areas will cool off but speculators will move to other "hot" areas. Initially California was the big rage but since specs have moved to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Florida, and even Texas.

I think California is the likeliest place for a cool down because right now with average home prices hovering around $500K how much higher can prices realistically go without wages increasing at an equal level to meet the 20%+ gains? It is getting to the point where a couple earning $100K a year (which is pretty good in other areas of the country) can't afford the $4000/month mortgages.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPimp
This is basically the middle of the end. Now, as general public, ie less savvy gold rushers, get into this, pumped up by the media, the prices will keep going up, only to blow up. However, I am yet to figure out the catalyst to bring the prices down. I have a general idea, but it's too long to formalize right now.
I think the catalyst will be interest rates. A lot of the purchases and refinancings are now using non traditional loans. Interest only and adjustible loans are very popular nowdays and are the only way to qualify for a big loan. The problem is that sooner or later the rate will adjust upwards and at that point the monthly payments can become too much. If rates go up in the meantime the owner will not be able to refinance to a lower rate. If appreciation doesn't continue then there won't be appreciated equity to pull out to make the payments. I think that will be the catalyst.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Silver™
Since the Great Depression real estate on a national level has never fallen. That is nearly 80 years of appreciation. I for one don't believe there will be a national bubble that will pop, some regional markets will see a decline, but that happens every year, as a whole real estate is still a safe bet.
That's my opinion as well. We might very well see a platuea soon, but not a catastophic burst in the market. Real Estate is a commidity that will always be in demand and they aren't making more of it.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
Real Estate is a commidity that will always be in demand and they aren't making more of it.

And in many areas here in CA there is less and less land available due in large part to strict environmental regulations and large land conservation.

In San Diego for example they build one new house for every 4 new jobs created.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jlukja
I think the catalyst will be interest rates. A lot of the purchases and refinancings are now using non traditional loans. Interest only and adjustible loans are very popular nowdays and are the only way to qualify for a big loan. The problem is that sooner or later the rate will adjust upwards and at that point the monthly payments can become too much. If rates go up in the meantime the owner will not be able to refinance to a lower rate. If appreciation doesn't continue then there won't be appreciated equity to pull out to make the payments. I think that will be the catalyst.

Yes, because a large majority of people are affording homes using the interest only products and can ONLY afford the house using that method. Prices stop going up, rates continue to raise, people can not afford the payment once the interest only portion ends and are forced to sell. Timeframe is 3-5 years, that is the reason I am calling this the 'middle of the end.'
Old 06-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, because a large majority of people are affording homes using the interest only products
Is that true? I also wonder how many people are using variable rate mortgages?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Is that true? I also wonder how many people are using variable rate mortgages?
Depends on that area. In San Diego 2/3 or 67% of all mortgages are adjustable interest only. I think about 50% of new mortages in Cali are interest only. All the hot markets have a very high concentration of interest only and adjustable products. People just can not afford housing otherwise.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

... In San Diego 2/3 or 67% of all mortgages are adjustable interest only. I think about 50% of new mortages in Cali are interest only. All the hot markets have a very high concentration of interest only and adjustable products. People just can not afford housing otherwise.
That's a lot. If there is a collapse in prices I would expect it to hit hardest in low-end real estate then.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

KENNETH HARNEY: Speculators get ready for real estate plunge

KENNETH HARNEY: Speculators get ready for real estate plunge

June 5, 2005

BY KENNETH HARNEY

WASHINGTON -- Growing expectations of price slowdowns -- or even significant drops in values -- in hot real estate markets are stimulating a new sub-industry: Entrepreneurs preparing investment funds and businesses to snap up bargains after the bubbles burst.

Yale economist Robert Shiller, the person who forecast the stock market decline and the dot-com implosion in his book "Irrational Exuberance," says significant corrections in housing prices in some of the fastest-appreciating markets are virtually inevitable.

Double-digit, multiyear run-ups in prices in dozens of markets in California, Florida, Nevada and along the Atlantic Coast are much the same phenomenon as the tech stock market bubble of the late 1990s. Schiller isn't making specific predictions about when or how severe the corrections will be in these areas, but he is convinced the speculative excesses in at least some of them will trigger downturns in real property valuations.

In Deerfield Beach, Fla., Jack McCabe of McCabe Research & Consulting, a project feasibility adviser to large residential developers and apartment owners, shares Shiller's bearish views. But he's getting ready to pick up the pieces after the storm. He is putting together a series of what he calls "opportunity funds" -- pools of investor capital -- to acquire new and converted condominium units that speculators purchased.

Some condo projects in the Miami-Dade County area have sold "70 to 80%" of their units to speculators, "who think they're getting into a gold rush and expect to flip" the units within the year. In reality, McCabe believes, many of these investors will lose their shirts trying to resell at ever-inflating prices.

It's the 2005 real estate version of the greater fool theory, he argues. "At some point there just aren't enough people who will buy" your overpriced condo unit, "and you can't afford to carry it any more."

McCabe says a lot of sophisticated, experienced investors apparently agree with the scenario he sees ahead. He says he has commitments for more than $10 million in capital from investors who expect to acquire individual units and entire projects at deflated prices during 2006 and 2007.

McCabe is putting together limited liability companies for small groups of up to 25 investors to buy new units, some of which are in preconstruction today. The LLCs have varying minimum share requirements -- anywhere from $30,000 to $50,000 at the low end to $1 million at the top. Their acquisition strategies and financing will depend upon the specific opportunities available, but will involve holding and managing properties for extended periods, or owning for short terms followed by profitable resales when the market begins to recover.

"We think there will be very attractive opportunities" beginning in the first quarter of 2006, he says. Even now there are signs that the speculative bubble may be in its final phase. Developers in the Miami area are beginning to limit the number of investors they will sell to in certain projects. Lenders are cutting back on higher-risk loans for speculators, especially low downpayment, interest-only and "payment option" plans that allow substantial negative amortization (rising principal balances).

McCabe believes that speculation-driven price excesses can be found in dozens of other markets.

"The dynamics are similar" in California, the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, the west coast of Florida and other high-fizz areas where speculators are active.

In Denver, Tom DiMercurio, a veteran specialist in REO (real estate owned) or defaulted properties taken back by banks, sees a rising tide of distressed property opportunities ahead. He just launched a new, multicity firm, the Mercury Alliance, to work with lenders "in the 15 hottest markets" around the country to dispose of homes, condos and other properties that go sour.

DiMercurio thinks any significant increase in interest rates will cut short the boom psychology puffing up many markets. That, in turn, "will trigger a substantial increase in REO" available for resale to distressed property buyers or for management on behalf of lenders. Even in cities such as Denver, where recent price gains have been modest, DiMercurio says an oversupply of loft and condominium projects is likely to trigger property devaluations.

DiMercurio attributes a major part of the problem to mortgage lenders themselves. Too many of them have come up with what he calls "hairball programs" that allow unsophisticated borrowers to take out loans larger than even the inflated appraisals on the properties they are financing.

"People think they can only make money and there's no risk" when they invest in real estate. "That is ridiculous," says DiMercurio.
http://www.freep.com/realestate/rene...e_20050605.htm
Old 06-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
How to Avoid Losses in the U.S. Home-Price Bubble: John Wasik
2005-06-06 00:07 (New York)

(Commentary. John F. Wasik, author of ``The Bear-Proof
Investor,'' is a columnist for Bloomberg News. The opinions
expressed are his own.)

By John F. Wasik
June 6 (Bloomberg) -- While it's folly to predict exactly
when local housing bubbles will burst, there are ways to ensure
that your real-estate holdings don't explode.
With U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan finally
weighing in with the observation on May 20 that he's seeing ``an
unsustainable underlying pattern'' and ``froth'' in U.S. housing
markets, it makes sense to monitor local economic signs to guide
when -- and when not to -- buy.
There may be a gradual slowdown as mortgage rates ascend in
line with the Fed's policy to curb inflation by raising short-
term borrowing costs, provided it stays that course. So paying
attention to types of financing used in the most active markets
is critical.
It's unlikely that the housing market will crash soon. Fixed
mortgage rates continue to hover below 6 percent with adjustable
rates about 2 percentage points lower. The 77 million-strong baby
boomer generation is also in the throes of buying, upgrading and
investing in second and third homes.
Single-family, existing-home sales rose 4.5 percent in
April, setting a record, according to the National Association of
Realtors, the industry's trade association.
In the first quarter, U.S. home prices increased by an
average of 12.5 percent compared with a year earlier and by 2.2
percent compared with the previous three months, according to the
Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight in Washington.

Coastal Growth

With the exception of Nevada, most of the growth is
concentrated on the coasts. Ventura, California, for example,
rose 24 percent compared with a year earlier. Oakland,
California, increased 21 percent. And advances of more than 15
percent were recorded by Newark, New Jersey; Norwich,
Connecticut; Nassau-Suffolk, New York; and New York City.
As everyone, from neighborhood investment-club members to
newly minted college graduates, increasingly speculates in real
estate, there are ample reasons to be skeptical.
Negative economic forces will certainly slow or prick the
bubbles on a local basis, though there's no clear storm front on
the horizon.
``We have not seen any evidence of economic weakness in the
33 bubble markets that would signal a correction,'' says Michael
Youngblood, managing director of asset-backed securities research
at Friedman, Billings, Ramsey Group Inc. in Washington.
``The flat U.S. Treasury yield curve is keeping mortgage
rates artificially low,'' Youngblood says. ``The curve must
either steepen dramatically, or the entire level of the curve
must rise dramatically to dampen house prices.''

Bubble Markets

Youngblood also has been tracking the ratio of median house
price to per-capita income. Bubble markets are those in the top 5
percent of these ratios -- representing 17.6 percent of the U.S.
population.
In areas such as Boston; New York/Nassau-Suffolk; Los
Angeles and Riverside, California; and Miami, home prices are
outpacing personal-income growth by a large margin.
A more closely watched indicator of how much markets may be
inflated is the extent of speculation.
In Las Vegas, for example, rapid turnover by investors, or
``flipping,'' accounts for 11.5 percent of current home sales,
according to the Realtors association. While that doesn't sound
significant, the flipping rate is up fivefold compared with five
years ago.

Eye Speculation

Grace Wong, an assistant professor of real estate at the
Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, has found a
correlation between speculative investing and above-average
market turnover in a study of Hong Kong residential housing. Such
a link could be applied to any overheated market.
In Hong Kong, home prices increased 50 percent from 1995 to
1997, followed by a decrease of 57 percent from 1997 to 2002. At
the same time, the transaction volume took a parallel course.
``The bubble grows as speculative activities build up,''
Wong says. ``When there is a frenzy of trading, a red flag should
be raised.''
``I would think carefully what you're going to do with a
house,'' she says. ``If you're going to be staying in a home for
seven-plus years, short-term volatility is less important.''

Financing to Avoid

If you are an investor, there are ways to avoid losses when
the bubble pops.
-- Notice the amount of speculation in the market you are
considering. If investor turnover is at least 10 percent -- 20
percent would probably be excessive -- prices may be inflated.
-- Watch short-term interest-rate movements. Those most
vulnerable have interest-only and adjustable loans. Low-
documentation, negative amortization and loans that carry
temporary ``teaser'' rates should also be treated with care.
-- Don't forget income and job growth. Any local market
beset by negative personal-income or job growth will experience a
decline in home prices and sales.
-- Consider slow- or no-growth markets for investment. Be a
contrarian if you can afford to take some risk. More affordable
markets where prices have declined or slowed include Rochester,
New York (down 0.13 percent in the first quarter); Sioux City,
Iowa (off 0.28 percent); Austin, Texas (down 0.12 percent), and
Mobile, Alabama (down 1.31 percent), according to the Office of
Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight.

Many Factors Important

Since homeowners are likely to be overleveraged in the most
torrid markets, due to lower credit standards and easily
available interest-only loans, it makes sense to watch the
foreclosure and bankruptcy rates where you are investing.
And it's unlikely that housing prices will continue to
outpace personal-income growth and consumer-price inflation (by a
factor of four) indefinitely.
Be careful not to overweight any one factor. What may put
the brakes on housing prices is a combination of rate increases
and a prolonged economic slowdown over several quarters.
Whether you believe U.S. housing prices will go down with a
bang or a whimper doesn't matter. An investment strategy based on
cheap financing and guaranteed rapid equity gain will be more
than just unsustainable. It will be irrationally exuberant.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Goldmember

Originally Posted by Mr.Fiddizzle
I hate it when I hear this bs explanation(no offense). So let me get this straight, was population growth not a factor 10 years ago? How about 5 years ago? How about 2 years ago? It doesnt justify the HUGE jump in prices in certain markets. If a house costs 20% more than it did 2 years ago, how you that be a result of population growth?
Good point. I'm not doubting that speculation is adding fuel to the fire nor am I saying that the recent increases in prices aren't abnormal. Interest rates are low, economy is pretty good, demand for housing is high due to stock market and bond market doing crap. Yes, the obvious point is that the real estate market is priced for perfection. What I am refuting is how and when this "bubble burst" will happen.

There's really one of several things that can happen. People calling for a burst bubble are just sourpuss is my point. There is a very small chance that this will build up to a point where a downturn in the economy could spell trouble for real estate. However, there are many good reasons why the economists don't think it'll happen, or at least in the form of a bubble burst like the stock market in 2000-2003. The economy is still growing jobs at a pretty good clip. At least here in San Diego, population growth is faster than housing starts. My point on housing growth being linear vs. pop. growth being exponential is based upon historical data. Look it up. As an area becomes fully developed, the only way to gain housing units is to build higher density through getting rid of single family homes and building condos (2-10) or building big old skyscrapers. This is what is happening in San Diego. The fact that the new builds are pretty much all luxury level and NOT starter houses also add to the increase in home prices.

The 20% increase in "median home prices" is a misleading indicator because of new home builds of luxury condos and expensive homes skewing things. A more telling indicator of real estate would be resale of existing homes. I don't know of anyone keeping this data but I'd guess that it's not as good as people make it out to be.

Yes, when interest rates go up, real estate won't be as attractive. But that will only happen when the stock market becomes the "hot thing" again. With the bond market doing crap and the fed still under control of Greenspan, I would doubt that the interest rate market has any reason to escalate out of control.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Fed Officials Warn on Real Estate Values, Interest-Only Loans

June 8 (Bloomberg) -- Federal Reserve governors and other U.S. banking regulators are growing concerned that easier credit standards and greater use of interest-only loans are fueling home price speculation, increasing risks to the U.S. banking system as interest rates rise.

``Financial institutions may not be fully recognizing the risk embedded in these portfolios,'' the Fed, the Comptroller of the Currency and three other regulators warned in a May 16 letter on home-equity loans to lenders and bank examiners. Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan, who talked the same week of ``froth'' in the housing market, will likely be questioned on the topic during congressional testimony tomorrow.

``The new development is the volume of these interest-only first mortgages we're seeing,'' acting Comptroller Julie Williams said in an interview. ``Banks should be evaluating the risks of these types of loans, not just based on the initial loan terms, but based on the loan terms that may roll into effect over the life of the loan.''

Central bankers and regulators say they are concerned at the prospect of a real-estate bust that would cascade through the banking system, causing even healthy banks to pull back on lending. That would limit the ability of the Fed to influence bank lending and the economy through interest-rate policy.

Real estate busts ``have a long duration and they affect everybody,'' said Harvey Rosenblum, executive vice president of the Dallas Fed. Banks have difficulty raising capital to make new loans, and the capital they have is constrained by loan losses, he said.

Flipping the Switch

``You have this downward spiral effect,'' Rosenblum said. ``When you are going through these kind of economic times, you flip the switch to off,'' even at healthy banks.

For now, officials say, the banking system is healthy and real estate prices are buoyant. U.S. banks' net loan losses totaled $7.2 billion in the first quarter, the lowest total since the third quarter of 2000, according to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.'s quarterly report released in May.

So-called ``guidance letters'' such as the one issued May 16 are aimed at improving lending standards without interfering with markets. Another letter, this one dealing with first mortgages, is under discussion, Kevin Mukri, a spokesman for the Comptroller, said.

Fed chairman Greenspan, who appears before the Joint Economic Committee of Congress on Thursday, told the Economic Club of New York May 20 that there is a ``good deal of speculation'' in real estate markets, and ``we're also seeing it in the mortgage market.''

Fueling home-price speculation are mortgage rates near four- decade lows. Rates on 30-year fixed mortgages have declined even though the Fed has raised short-term rates 2 percentage points since June 2004. At that time, 30-year fixed-rate mortgages averaged 6.29 percent versus 5.72 percent last month.

Signs of speculation include second-home purchases for investment, the ``heavy reliance on interest-only loans'' and the use of adjustable-rate mortgages despite increases in short-term rates, said Patrick Lawler, chief economist at the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight.

Interest-only mortgages accounted for only 6 percent of adjustable-rate mortgages in 2002. By the end of 2004 they accounted for 23 percent nationwide, according to LoanPerformance, a mortgage-data provider based in San Francisco.

Sales of investment properties rose 14.4 percent in 2004 to 1.8 million units, according to the National Association of Realtors. About 80 percent of investment properties are single- family homes, the association says.

Nationally, home prices averaged a 12.5 percent gain from the first quarter of 2004 to the first quarter of 2005, according to an index tracked by the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight. Twenty-four states showed average home-price gains of 10 percent or more in the period.

Over the past four quarters, prices are rising faster than any period since 1979, when the consumer price index rose to 13.3 percent, compared with 3.3 percent last year.

``In some markets -- I won't name individual cities in the Southeast -- the activity in residential real estate looks pretty speculative to me, and that makes me very uncomfortable,'' Atlanta Fed bank president Jack Guynn said. ``There is a very good chance that some lenders, some buyers and some builders will get burned.''

The May 16 regulatory letter cited interest-only loans that lower the initial out-of-pocket costs for homebuyers by letting them omit monthly principal payments for a time. While interest- only loans can extend the reach of buyers in markets where prices are moving up, they also contain several risks. Interest-only home equity loans rarely have locks or caps, unlike adjustable-rate mortgages. And the principal eventually has to be paid back, which can double or triple monthly payments.

Risk of Default

``When I took economics in World War II, and we were studying the Great Depression, one of the reasons given were all the interest-only loans that came due,'' L. William Seidman, who was chairman of the FDIC from 1985 to 1991, said in an interview. ``They were an indication of an economy getting into unsound lending. Ever since then it's been a rule that when you go into interest-only loans, you're very substantially increasing the risk of default.''

Richard T. Nadolski, senior vice president of mortgage loan administration at North Shore Capital Bank in Brookfield, Wisconsin, said the loans are very popular.

Bandwagon

``We started getting on the interest-only bandwagon about a year ago, and it's gone from nothing to 30 percent'' of North Shore's adjustable-rate mortgages, Nadolski said.

Bank of America, the third-largest U.S. bank, offers some interest-only mortgages, according to spokeswoman Julie Davis.

``Our overall approach with any customer is to sit down with them and try to identify their long and short-term financial needs around purchasing a home,'' Davis said. ``How long are they going to be in the home, what do they anticipate career-wise?''

The vast majority of Bank of America's mortgage loans are regular, 30-year mortgages as opposed to adjustable rate mortgages, Davis said.

``The interest-only loan has added about 10 percent to the value of homes in California and other high-priced areas,'' said David Akre, co-chief executive officer of New York Mortgage Trust Inc., a real estate investment trust.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...JdoTw&refer=us
Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts

Chicken little chicken little.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Homeless

"When I took economics in World War II, and we were studying the Great Depression, one of the reasons given were all the interest-only loans that came due,'' L. William Seidman, who was chairman of the FDIC from 1985 to 1991, said in an interview. "They were an indication of an economy getting into unsound lending. Ever since then it's been a rule that when you go into interest-only loans, you're very substantially increasing the risk of default.''

In the last 10 years of lending, the interest-only deal has just started booming in the last 18 months or so. I agree with the article though...you have to be prudent when you do these types of loans and I just don't see the concern being demonstrated like it should be.

With all the compliance & risk management courses I took, the rule of thumb was interest-only at or under 80% LTV only. So, there was a cushion built in just in case the market took a dive.

Not to mention, these types of loans fuel inflation like a bandit. People get in bidding wars over homes because they can afford more...so houses start selling at a premium instead of what they're worth.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Stay or leave

Burn baby burn! This housing boom has to stop one way or another, prices are increasing at such a rate which buyers can not sustain. There is no way wages and income are increasing on the same level.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Stay or leave

good article by the way Zamo
Old 06-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by Reddly9007
Burn baby burn! This housing boom has to stop one way or another, prices are increasing at such a rate which buyers can not sustain. There is no way wages and income are increasing on the same level.
Agreed. 1979 all over again if this keeps up.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Goldmember

Curious. Of the people who say that the real estate is going to bust, do any of you own homes or real estate?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Homeless

Curious. Of the people who say that the real estate is going to bust, do any of you own homes or real estate?
Yes.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

That is correct, and a neighbor just sold his house at 60% increase compared to what I paid on Feb. 2004. For me, thats not good appreciation, thats a good sign of speculation.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Stay or leave

Your damn right thats speculation, how can you argue otherwise. What in the hell could make something go up 60% without anything major changing. I do not own a home but an looking to get into one soon, regardless of the price I am not looking at it as an investment for the short term. I am looking for a home to live in not flip. I just have a hard time buying something when there is so much speculation going.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by zamo
That is correct, and a neighbor just sold his house at 60% increase compared to what I paid on Feb. 2004. For me, thats not good appreciation, thats a good sign of speculation.
Agreed. Even for new construction, 60% is steep...real steep.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Your damn right thats speculation, how can you argue otherwise. What in the hell could make something go up 60% without anything major changing.
Then explain what would cause it to "bust"? Interest rates are being controlled to prevent this from happening. Rate of growth is slowing (except maybe for zamo's geographic region). The Feds are smart, they're looking at a time bomb that has no clock so they are making sure to slowly bring this fanatic growth down to a modest level.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Stay or leave

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Then explain what would cause it to "bust"? Interest rates are being controlled to prevent this from happening. Rate of growth is slowing (except maybe for zamo's geographic region). The Feds are smart, they're looking at a time bomb that has no clock so they are making sure to slowly bring this fanatic growth down to a modest level.

What do you consider a modest level? Thats the problem. If rates start increasing and people start to default on there loans there will be serious draw backs to the lenders and banks. It will become much harder to borrow money for first time home buyers and other who seek a mortgage.

One possible reason for a "bust" would be the supply and demand issue. Some reports are stating that a majority of buyers are actually second home buyers and people looking for investments. If people can not sustain the payments on these second homes and then try to sell they will fload the market.

I'm not debating that the Fed is smart, but I honestly feel they let this problem get out of hand, and now they are warning about side effects.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Homeless

It's already 'busting' in many cases. The 3% figure is a national average, there are localized bubbles that have way too much appreciation. New homes in my area(New Castle County) are going up at 20-30% over market. Typically, new homes are sold at discounted prices and slowly increase to market...this is the basic trend throughout all of Delaware. Not good. The income isn't anywhere near what it needs to be to justify the home prices/appreciation. Where are the jobs...cause they aren't here.

There used to be(up until 18 months ago or so) a noticeable property value difference in this state. North DE had the higher prices, lower DE had the best prices, except within 10 miles of the beach areas or shore property. Now, a home in Smyrna(mid-DE with no jobs whatsoever) is going for more money than my home in New Castle County ~ same builder, same lot size, same exact home. My home is worth about $330K with a finished basement and a few extras(.17 acres, small)...they are selling new construction for about $330-340K with no extras and .15 acre lots.

There's only so many people who are dumb enough to come in from philly and commute over an hour each way for a 'deal'. When that market dries up, as it has been(average sale times are increasing) these prices will come down and bring comparable property values with them. Afterall, your home is only worth what someone is willing to pay and what others have paid recently as far as a bank is concerned. This is where all those interest-only mortgages will come into a world of problems.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Homeless

1. One possible reason for a "bust" would be the supply and demand issue. Some reports are stating that a majority of buyers are actually second home buyers and people looking for investments. If people can not sustain the payments on these second homes and then try to sell they will fload the market.

2. I'm not debating that the Fed is smart, but I honestly feel they let this problem get out of hand, and now they are warning about side effects.
1. That is a possibility, albeit not too probable. More like how about the thousands of new homes builders have under contract or are about to build...and where are the buyers? Statistics in DE show over 15K new homes are planned to be built in the next year or two...where are the buyers coming from? Another concern...DE has a ton of soon-to-retirees...and the vast majority of homes being built are 2 story multiple bedrooms, no ranchers being built as far as the eye can see. These people may consider moving to a home they can better move around in/smaller homes out of state.

2. Problem with the FED, on a banking compliance level, is they can only react to trend information they gather from their annual audits/exceptions. So, by the time they gather intel on risk of certain types of loans, demographics, etc...the horse has somewhat already left the barn.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 06-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chef chris
Agreed. 1979 all over again if this keeps up.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that... People actually had negative equity on houses around here...

I was reading an article in Forture magazine about the "bubble" a couple months back, and they cited 5 cites where the properties were over valued. I was amazed to see my homecity listed as an overvalued market (Providence-Fall River, Mass. +25%).
I'm in the suburbs of Fall River, so I've see it in housing prices in the neighborhood.

Forture requires a login, so I can't link, but if you're really interested in the article, google for "Home prices have gone up for so long that people think they'll never come down. But the fundamentals tell a different story—a scary one."
Old 06-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that... People actually had negative equity on houses around here...
Negative equity...people will soon be learning what that's all about. I'm not saying every market is in danger, but there will be plenty of markets affected.

Another thing I noticed in this thread...people have stated that interest rates were so much higher in the 70-80's and that it's better now with the lower rates. But, having a 15% loan isn't a big deal when the homes were so cheap(er). I think my pop paid $17K for our house in 1975, sold it for $30K two years later.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Speculative prices will adjust, that I forsee.

In my country of origin, as I already stated before, we have suffered a real state depreciation of around 20% ~ 30% in the last 10 years. That because the population DOES NOT have/qualify for loans and thus cannot afford buying property. Having that as a factor, property prices declined and unfortunately the market became a buyer's market from a seller's market.

Just think about that.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chef chris
Negative equity...people will soon be learning what that's all about. I'm not saying every market is in danger, but there will be plenty of markets affected.
There seems to have been alot of refinancing going on in my (overvalued) neighbor hood. We the intrerest rate tumbled, it seemed like every other house had major renovations going on (new additions, new garages, etc, etc).

With all the "equity" gains (on paper at least) it appears that alot of people are overleveraging themselves. Lots of money being throw around. I've noticed it in a lot of different markets too (not just housing). The early 911 prices have risen. Where a early 70's T that was worth 10-14K three years ago, is now selling for 20K. Longtime porsche experts (guys that have dealt with 356's) are saving that this has happened before, and that the prices will readjust. They even use the same term. Waiting for the "bubble" to burst.

It might be time to stockpile some cash. When the bubble does burst, and people are struggling to get out of a bad equity situation, deals on luxury cars, and speculative real estate properties (summer homes, etc) might be up for sale at bargain prices
Old 06-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Then explain what would cause it to "bust"? Interest rates are being controlled to prevent this from happening...
The Fed only exerts control over short term interest rates.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Homeless

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
There seems to have been alot of refinancing going on in my (overvalued) neighbor hood. We the intrerest rate tumbled, it seemed like every other house had major renovations going on (new additions, new garages, etc, etc).

With all the "equity" gains (on paper at least) it appears that alot of people are overleveraging themselves. Lots of money being throw around.
Really Greenie...funny you use those terms, "over-leveraging". I've read countless papers on this from the Fed and just about every other financial regulatory agency. You're 100% right...these gains are on paper only...market adjustments that will re-adjust...and yes, alot of those people who went 100% LTV are going to have issues, not to mention the banks that gave them the loans(interest-only can only be 10x worse in that scenario).

Quick Reply: The "official" housing bubble thread