Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

New home purchase when you already own one?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
New home purchase when you already own one?

My wife and I were just nosing around the other day and saw a beautiful home for sale nearby.

Should we really get serious about this, I'd like to better understand how the finances would work when you already own a home and have a considerable amount of money in the equity of the home we already own and would need to use some of that towards the downpayment on the new home.

I've heard of bridge loans, but don't know much about them and based on what I do know doesn't sound like a good idea. It makes me nervous to even consider something like this given the crappy housing market and the potential that would exist for two mortgage payments. I guess we could make an offer contingent on us selling our home.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-10-2008, 02:07 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its definately possible and there are many different ways you could do it. Hit me up on aim later since I am too lazy to type on iPhone.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
Should we really get serious about this, I'd like to better understand how the finances would work when you already own a home and have a considerable amount of money in the equity of the home we already own and would need to use some of that towards the downpayment on the new home.
In all honesty, (not knowing your local market) - would highly advise against a bridge loan in this environment IF you NEED the equity in your current home.

All homeowners *myself included, place emotional value on their homes because we know how much sweat equity and quality we put into maintaining/upgrading our homes. Guess what, buyers do not give a fuck. They want to rape you and will not hesitate to do so in the current marketplace. Apologies for the strong language, but it speaks to how strongly I would advise you not to fall in love with a new home without selling your current home IF you NEED the equity.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
In all honesty, (not knowing your local market) - would highly advise against a bridge loan in this environment IF you NEED the equity in your current home.

All homeowners *myself included, place emotional value on their homes because we know how much sweat equity and quality we put into maintaining/upgrading our homes. Guess what, buyers do not give a fuck. They want to rape you and will not hesitate to do so in the current marketplace. Apologies for the strong language, but it speaks to how strongly I would advise you not to fall in love with a new home without selling your current home IF you NEED the equity.

Hence my comment around making an offer contingent on selling ours. Lord only knows how long that would take.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,085 Likes on 1,157 Posts
Hence my comment around making an offer contingent on selling ours. Lord only knows how long that would take.
When the market was hot the seller would laugh at this clause and toss your offer in the trash. IMO now that the market is slow there is no way in hell a seller is going to wait around and hope that you can sell yours.

When I bought my current house I took a bridge loan to cover the down payment of the the new house. Doing this is very stressful and may force you to take a lower offer on your current house if you can't afford to pay two mortgages and a bridge loan for very long. It many even be hard to find a lender that is willing to do this now.

I suggest you sell your house first then go house shopping, there is less risk in doing a bridge loan this way. I never had to make the first payment on the bridge since I closed on my old home 3 weeks after I closed on the new one. The bridge was worth it for me since I was able to get my new home, do some painting, and then move without too much stress.

I just remembered something, I didn't actually take a bridge loan. I took a home equity loan and used it like a bridge loan. Save a lot of fees that way.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:38 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by doopstr
When the market was hot the seller would laugh at this clause and toss your offer in the trash. IMO now that the market is slow there is no way in hell a seller is going to wait around and hope that you can sell yours.
I disagree. In a slow market, a seller may consider a contingency with an out clause if they receive another offer, the initial prospective buyer has x number of days to fill or kill.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Well, the house is a foreclosure (hence why it's a decent deal), so a contingent offer won't work.

ack
Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well, the house is a foreclosure (hence why it's a decent deal), so a contingent offer won't work.

ack
Is it a bank or lending institution that is selling the house? If so, you might be able to get them to cut you a killer bridge loan if you'll take it off their hands.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Zippee
Is it a bank or lending institution that is selling the house? If so, you might be able to get them to cut you a killer bridge loan if you'll take it off their hands.
From what I've read a bridge loan is not the way to go these days... Most recommend going with a home equity loan.

The risk is having my current home not sell for a LONG time, which given recent history in my current subdivision, that could very well be true.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I've read a bridge loan is not the way to go these days... Most recommend going with a home equity loan.

The risk is having my current home not sell for a LONG time, which given recent history in my current subdivision, that could very well be true.
What I think might be a good idea is to place your current house on the market. In the event that the house you are going for sells before your current house sells, but there is an offer on the table for your current house, put a contingency on your current home's listing saying that the sale of your house is contingent upon you finding suitable housing. If worse comes to worse and the foreclosure house sells, you can then pull your house off the market. Typically, realtors will try not to show this to potential buyers as it will drive some buyers away but in most cases, if a buyer comes in and loves the house, they will make an offer and you should be good to go. It's a tricky and stressful situation to be in but if you can swing it, I recommend it. Right now is a GREAT time to buy given that you can get a house on foreclosure for a fraction of the real cost. Good luck and be sure to keep us updated!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:06 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sclass88
Right now is an OK time to buy given that you can get a house on foreclosure for a fraction of its peak cost.
Fixed
Old 08-11-2008, 06:16 PM
I feel the need...

My wife and I were just nosing around the other day and saw a beautiful home for sale nearby.
It was prob an important disclosure in the first post to say the home was in foreclosure as opposed to for sale.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Administrator Alumnus

It was prob an important disclosure in the first post to say the home was in foreclosure as opposed to for sale.
Found that out some 7 hours after I started the thread.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:59 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Found that out some 7 hours after I started the thread.
Thanks to me
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I feel the need...

One Third of New Owners Owe More Than House Is Worth

Did you purchase within the last five years?

Almost one-third of U.S. homeowners who bought in the last five years now owe more on their mortgages than their properties are worth, according to Zillow.com, an Internet provider of home valuations.

Second-quarter home prices fell 9.9 percent from a year earlier, giving 29 percent of owners negative equity, said Zillow, the Seattle-based service that offers values for more than 80 million homes. For those who bought at the 2006 peak of the housing market, 45 percent are now underwater, Zillow said.

Negative equity and declining prices are making it difficult for homeowners to sell property for a profit. Almost one-quarter of U.S. homes sold in the past year were for a loss, Zillow said. That contributes to the foreclosure rate because some homeowners can't absorb the loss and end up surrendering their homes to the bank that holds the mortgage, said Stan Humphries, Zillow's vice president of data and analytics.

``For homeowners who need to sell, this is a gravely serious situation,'' Humphries said in an interview. ``It can also be harmful to communities where the number of unsold homes adds more to inventory and puts downward pressure on prices.''

The highest percentages of homeowners with negative equity were located in California. In four of the state's metropolitan areas -- Stockton, Modesto, Merced and Vallejo-Fairfield -- the number of homeowners whose mortgage debts exceeded the values of their properties topped 90 percent, Zillow said.

In five more California areas -- the Inland Empire (Riverside-San Bernardino), Bakersfield, Yuba City, El Centro and Madera -- the percentages were more than 80 percent.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a3rsglZgqmTs
Old 08-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I can promise you I have plenty of equity in this home.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 PM
I feel the need...

I can promise you I have plenty of equity in this home.
That's all fine and dandy, but I don't see you stepping out on a limb with a lot of confidence.

IF this forclosure is such a great deal and you have boatloads of equity - whaddya waiting for?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator Alumnus

That's all fine and dandy, but I don't see you stepping out on a limb with a lot of confidence.

IF this forclosure is such a great deal and you have boatloads of equity - whaddya waiting for?
Because in order to make it happen, I would be forced to do a home equity or bridge loan and I don't know if I want to stick my neck out for a "good deal" and possibly carry a temporary loan and two mortgages for an extended period.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
I feel the need...

Because in order to make it happen, I would be forced to do a home equity or bridge loan and I don't know if I want to stick my neck out for a "good deal" and possibly carry a temporary loan and two mortgages for an extended period.
Have you thought about keeping your current place as a rental? Sounds like the foreclosure is a good deal, but not a slam dunk, outstanding, your stupid if you don't do it kinda deal. :wink:
Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Have you thought about keeping your current place as a rental? Sounds like the foreclosure is a good deal, but not a slam dunk, outstanding, your stupid if you don't do it kinda deal. :wink:
Thoughts about it. Not sure if the covenants allow for rentals, however.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I feel the need...

Thoughts about it. Not sure if the covenants allow for rentals, however.
Covenants, schmovenants. Nazi bastards.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I contemplated this very dilemma back in May. My wife and I decided to sell the house first. Well, we got lucky and sold my house for the same price as I bought it in 2000. Virtually no gain, but we just closed on a house for 220K off its original price in 2006.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
you can claim you have all sorts of equity all you want....I have a ton of equity in my place too!!! i think its work 1,000,000 dollars!!! im rich!!!

using what you "think" your home is worth to calculate your equity is a big mistake these days...nothing is certain until the ink dries on the contracts.

you may be very sadly surprised as to what your home would actually sell for in this climate. The greater chicago area hasnt lost a whole lot of value, but northwest indiana is still a shitty area most people wouldnt consider living over the west or north burbs of chicago (or downtown for that matter). And then theres the problem of someone wanting to buy your house who then has to write their offer contingent on selling their own place!! talk about a revolving door nightmare!!

Unless you are TRUELY serious about moving, there is no sence to let any of this occupy your time, your thoughts, OR an internet message board....

if you ARE serious, put your place up for sale at what you think its worth and wait and see what happens. then worry about finding your next dream home. There will be plenty more foreclosures to chose from...trust me...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Originally Posted by BubbaMarkTL
you can claim you have all sorts of equity all you want....I have a ton of equity in my place too!!! i think its work 1,000,000 dollars!!! im rich!!!

using what you "think" your home is worth to calculate your equity is a big mistake these days...nothing is certain until the ink dries on the contracts.

you may be very sadly surprised as to what your home would actually sell for in this climate. The greater chicago area hasnt lost a whole lot of value, but northwest indiana is still a shitty area most people wouldnt consider living over the west or north burbs of chicago (or downtown for that matter). And then theres the problem of someone wanting to buy your house who then has to write their offer contingent on selling their own place!! talk about a revolving door nightmare!!

Unless you are TRUELY serious about moving, there is no sence to let any of this occupy your time, your thoughts, OR an internet message board....

if you ARE serious, put your place up for sale at what you think its worth and wait and see what happens. then worry about finding your next dream home. There will be plenty more foreclosures to chose from...trust me...
Well market expert I would have to disagree with you here. Without knowing his house and his payoff you really have no idea on what your talking about. I do agree with you that there will be a ton of foreclosures to come, but no necessarily in the range that he is looking in. If he is in a position to make the move then I say go for it!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:16 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LotusTracker
Well market expert I would have to disagree with you here. Without knowing his house and his payoff you really have no idea on what your talking about. I do agree with you that there will be a ton of foreclosures to come, but no necessarily in the range that he is looking in. If he is in a position to make the move then I say go for it!
This guy's (Bubba) posts in H&G and M&I have have very little positive effect on the boards and overall have been very negative. He is very good at sharing his arrogance, limited knowledge and narrow-mindedness, though.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn
This guy's (Bubba) posts in H&G and M&I have have very little positive effect on the boards and overall have been very negative. He is very good at sharing his arrogance, limited knowledge and narrow-mindedness, though.

thank you??

speaking the blunt truth around this forum seems to throw people into a tizzy, its quite humorous honestly.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Scrib, anything ever come of this?

I'm considering putting myself into a similar situation.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator Alumnus

naw...

Still on the radar, but not a priority.