Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

minimum visa card purchases at stores

Old 11-03-2006, 12:03 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by kensteele
you will one day. when it is applied inconsistantly and inconveniently to you, you will. trust me.

I guess. I still get carded when I buy beer so I'm used to the whole ID thing.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
and just for you record, YOU showing your id to the merchant doesn't help ME one bit. it doesn't change my personal risk at all. You can argue that reducing overall fraud ultimately benefits the cardholder but honestly, I think the card issuers manages a threshold that won't permit you to see any of the benefit at all.
Well, no offense and don't take this the wrong way, but honestly, I don't give a shit about anyone else. If it protects me and they verify my card with my ID, I don't mind.

It's not like it happens a lot anyway. Around here it seems only the grocery and electronic stores do it. No biggie. I have my DL right on top of my CC anyway (money clip, no wallet), so it takes about 2 seconds to show them. And if they want to verify my expensive purchase by comparing my CC against my DL, I'm more then happy to oblige.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

agreed with everything except this. asking for photo ID at the store will not stop the criminal. there is no proof of this, no evidence whatsoever, if there is show me? even if the merchant says so. criminal just takes his card and go somewhere where he can use it, which is many other places.
I used to work retail many, many years ago (like 13-14 now), and even back then we did it on certain purchases. We nailed dozens of people trying to use stolen credit cards by verifying their ID to the card (or in this case, verifying it didn't match). If it didn't match we called the CC company, and if it came up stolen, kept the card. If the guy or girl bolted we turned over the video tape to the police and mall security, and they'd nail him/her (usually the cops would, not the mall security). So not only did the criminal get busted, but the card was confiscated and the account was frozen, so no more damage could be done to that acccount even if he/she wrote down the info at home and tried to use it online or gave it to someone else to try.

There may be no proof industry wide, but again, not to sound like an ass, but as the assistant manager all I cared about was protecting our customers and protecting our store. So who cares if there are no studies industry wide showing this does anything, as long as it protected our store and we prevented these fraudulent charges, that was all we were concerned about... and I'm sure this is what happens today as well. Managers only care about their store and their liability.

Now, if you're talking about racial and/or ethnic profiling... well, then that's a whole different discussion and I don't agree with that at all.

Last edited by juniorbean; 11-03-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by subinf
I only have one credit card. Anyway, I'm fine with the first phone call - that makes sense to cover their ass. When I tell them that I will always be traveling and to not block any charges and they say ok and then cal three more times it is excessive and annoying and a huge waste of my time to explain it over and over. I'm not ignorant to think that it won't ever happen to me, I am pretty sure it will. Fact of the matter is that they are wasting more of their time calling over and over - if I get a bum charge, call them up, they send me the affidavits, and its taken care of.

I don't have a problem with stores asking for photo ids.
Well that's different. I've never received more then one call when traveling. Once I give the OK on the first call it's been fine. If I received as many calls as you, I'd be frustrated as well.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:53 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and just for you record, YOU showing your id to the merchant doesn't help ME one bit. it doesn't change my personal risk at all. You can argue that reducing overall fraud ultimately benefits the cardholder but honestly, I think the card issuers manages a threshold that won't permit you to see any of the benefit at all.
WTF is the big deal about showing your id? Its not like they are asking for a finger print or urine sample.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Well, no offense and don't take this the wrong way, but honestly, I don't give a shit about anyone else. If it protects me and they verify my card with my ID, I don't mind.
That's exactly what I meant.

By you showing your credit card, that 1) will not help cut out fraud, 2) won't help protect the merchant from fraud, 3) doesn't help stop someone else from using your card and 4) doesn't help stop someone else from using someone else's card.

So what exactly do you think it does? Because I know what it does LOL.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by juniorbean
I used to work retail many, many years ago (like 13-14 now), and even back then we did it on certain purchases. We nailed dozens of people trying to use stolen credit cards by verifying their ID to the card (or in this case, verifying it didn't match). If it didn't match we called the CC company, and if it came up stolen, kept the card. If the guy or girl bolted we turned over the video tape to the police and mall security, and they'd nail him/her (usually the cops would, not the mall security). So not only did the criminal get busted, but the card was confiscated and the account was frozen, so no more damage could be done to that acccount even if he/she wrote down the info at home and tried to use it online or gave it to someone else to try.

There may be no proof industry wide, but again, not to sound like an ass, but as the assistant manager all I cared about was protecting our customers and protecting our store. So who cares if there are no studies industry wide showing this does anything, as long as it protected our store and we prevented these fraudulent charges, that was all we were concerned about... and I'm sure this is what happens today as well. Managers only care about their store and their liability.

Now, if you're talking about racial and/or ethnic profiling... well, then that's a whole different discussion and I don't agree with that at all.

good point. all i can say is if that credit card had been called in stolen like it was supposed to, you never would have received the authorization to complete the purchase. and if the cardholder didn't know the card was stolen yet, neither the cardholder nor the merchant would be liable for fraudulent charges.

it's not up to the merchant to stamp out credit card fraud. you don't want to be negligent but i say this because some merchants go about it the wrong way, using illegal tactics.

i'm not exactly sure how verifying their id works but how's a criminal supposed to present you with a credit card that says "Fred Smith" and then when you ask for ID, he shows a driver's license that says "Bob Jones", is that how it happened?

most criminals will have a "Fred Smith" driver's license anyway, what are you going to do then, be ok with it? are merchants good at spotting fake licenses? what if they don't have a DL but they have a work badge ID?

no offense to merchants but it's not their job to do this when it comes to credit cards. run the card, get the auth, check the sig, complete the purchase. i'm all for combating crime and reducing fraud but i don't see how capturing a crooked credit card theft at the point of sale does ANYTHING to protect the store or protect the customers....maybe its just me but i just don't see it.

and yes profiling has a lot of do with it.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tireguy
WTF is the big deal about showing your id?
i've mentioned it several times in the past few posts.

cliff notes:
1) doesn't work
2) personal information; privacy
3) profiling
4) not approved by card issuer
Old 11-03-2006, 09:54 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've mentioned it several times in the past few posts.

cliff notes:
1) doesn't work
2) personal information; privacy
3) profiling
4) not approved by card issuer

We're all entitled to our opinion, but ID'ing as a whole works. As much as you say prove it to me that it doesn't work. You can't prove that it doesn't work any more then I can prove that it works. In particular number 2 and 3, its sort of irrelevant and number 4 is only a matter of time, if ID were required to use a credit card I am sure across the board it would reduce fraud and bring rates down... time will tell.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tireguy
We're all entitled to our opinion, but ID'ing as a whole works. As much as you say prove it to me that it doesn't work. You can't prove that it doesn't work any more then I can prove that it works. In particular number 2 and 3, its sort of irrelevant and number 4 is only a matter of time, if ID were required to use a credit card I am sure across the board it would reduce fraud and bring rates down... time will tell.
id will never be required. go to target or walmart and you'll see the credit card readers they have right up front for you to stick your card into, sign, and put the card right back into your pocket, no need for the merchant to even see your credit card much less some picture id.

the future is heading towards no card at all, maybe transmit with a cellphone or some other electronic format or rfid. no picture id, not even close to being under consideration. asking for id is going to hold the credit card back like it does the personal check (which most places around here won't even accept anymore).

let's move on to 2007 shall we. i don't have the facts on this but if 95% of the retail business is conducted without picture id, my guess is the other 5% is irrelevant (read: inconvenienced). but you're right, we can differ on our opinions. you can continue to show yours and i won't be showing mine.