Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Business Advice

Old 02-11-2008 | 07:18 PM
2002 NBA Champs!!!

Business Advice

I got into something that I think will be EXTREMLY SUCCESSFUL, but I am having a bit of a difficult time starting out. I found a business opportunity on craigslist about a wrinkle cream that gives a lift and eliminates wrinkles in only 3 minutes. I thought it was a scam at first but I watched this video they had and I was sold. So i paid to have the territories of Sacramento, Placer, El Dorado, and Solano counties in California so that I am the only Authorized Distributor for the product in thos areas. After I got the product in I saw that it really works and I was amazed.

So now I have set up a website at http://www.ChemliftMagic.com and on saturday I set up a kiosk inside a nice mall. I have two TVs, one on each side, playing the video so people can see the results happen before their own eyes and I also have an area set up where I do free demonstrations. I have two signs saying "Try a FREE 3 minute wrinkle eliminating face lift today!".

Now to my problem, people think my product is a joke or scam so they wont even try it out. I see very many people walk by and see the sign and say "Yeah right if that was true everyone would have it" and they keep walking and wont let me talk to them. For ALL of the people that actually sit down and try it, they are AMAZED! So I was wondering do any of you have any advice on how to better pull people in for a free trial so I can show them it really works? Should I have a different sign? I would like to have some type of sign stating what it does and that they can try it for free. This is the first business I have ever run and I am kind of winging it. I'd love any advice you guys would be willing to give.
Old 02-11-2008 | 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I see your dilemma and really don't know what to say. All I can think of is marketing it in a more fashionable, upper class way. In short, charge more and people may pay more attention to it. It's ironic, but I think we all know in certain cases it is true. They may give more credibility to a $100 wrinkle cream than a $10 one. The problem you may face is the product your selling may already have a nation wide credibility problem that would be hard to persuade in the eyes of your customers.

And not to rain on your parade, but this should have been addressed in your business plan. But stay positive and it will work out.
Old 02-11-2008 | 08:32 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I think the fact that it does works scares me more then if it didn't, has there been any studies about long term effects? What would happen if an old woman bathed in it? Get lots of insurance! On a serious note....

This is a tough one to market, I'd recommend reading The 4 Hour Work Week, Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss. Unfortunately there is no magical formula for something like this, a lot of trial and error, but if/when you get it right it will operate like a well oiled machine with minimal input on your part.
Old 02-11-2008 | 08:37 PM
2002 NBA Champs!!!

Originally Posted by KCPreki11
I see your dilemma and really don't know what to say. All I can think of is marketing it in a more fashionable, upper class way. In short, charge more and people may pay more attention to it. It's ironic, but I think we all know in certain cases it is true. They may give more credibility to a $100 wrinkle cream than a $10 one. The problem you may face is the product your selling may already have a nation wide credibility problem that would be hard to persuade in the eyes of your customers.

And not to rain on your parade, but this should have been addressed in your business plan. But stay positive and it will work out.
It's already $145. Yeah it sucks because alot of women have bought products that claim they do what we say but they dont actually work. One good thing is March 1st there is suppose to be an announcement that we are being nominated for Invention of the Year by Popular Science magazine, it's the first time they have ever nominated a cosmetic.
Old 02-11-2008 | 08:41 PM
2002 NBA Champs!!!

Originally Posted by iTimmy
I think the fact that it does works scares me more then if it didn't, has there been any studies about long term effects? What would happen if an old woman bathed in it? Get lots of insurance! On a serious note....

This is a tough one to market, I'd recommend reading The 4 Hour Work Week, Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss. Unfortunately there is no magical formula for something like this, a lot of trial and error, but if/when you get it right it will operate like a well oiled machine with minimal input on your part.
They did a year of testing with no problems, they say there will be no long term effects except for better skin. All ingredients are FDA approved. As for the old lady bathing in it, lol, it does not work as well on any areas other than the face. When you apply it, it contracts the skin cells together eliminating wrinkles and giving a lift for a period of 8-12 hours

I will have to check out that book, thanks.
Old 02-11-2008 | 09:14 PM
Unofficial Goat

A book that I would recommend, that was suggested to me by my professor who teachs new venture formation is called "A Good Hard Kick In the Ass" it basically explains all the mistakes people starting new buisness run into, and how the screw themselves over.
Old 02-12-2008 | 07:56 AM
Racer

As far as marketing, how about hiring one or two women to rotate in and out as "customers trying the product"? Set them up on a chair, give them your spiel while applying the cosmetic, and others will stop by to listen since it is now "safe" for them to hear the pitch without feeling committed. Then it's up to you...
Old 02-12-2008 | 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DelawareCLS
As far as marketing, how about hiring one or two women to rotate in and out as "customers trying the product"? Set them up on a chair, give them your spiel while applying the cosmetic, and others will stop by to listen since it is now "safe" for them to hear the pitch without feeling committed. Then it's up to you...

Selling a $100 wrinkle cream, you're going to have to have hot chicks in a nice outfit or a suave guy in a suit selling the crap.

Image is everything.
Old 02-12-2008 | 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

I dunno. I couldn't imagine buying a $100 wrinkle cream from a mall kiosk. What advertising does the parent company give you?
Old 02-12-2008 | 12:53 PM
2002 NBA Champs!!!

Originally Posted by DelawareCLS
Might be a good idea because when someone does stop for a demo I do get others that stop by.

Originally Posted by SakiGT

Selling a $100 wrinkle cream, you're going to have to have hot chicks in a nice outfit or a suave guy in a suit selling the crap.

Image is everything.
Well I am wearing a suit

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
I dunno. I couldn't imagine buying a $100 wrinkle cream from a mall kiosk. What advertising does the parent company give you?
None. We are all on our own. I have done alot of print advertising on my own and I am looking into doing radio ads. If those go well I will have a commercial done.
Old 02-12-2008 | 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KingsFanPaul1
None. We are all on our own. I have done alot of print advertising on my own and I am looking into doing radio ads. If those go well I will have a commercial done.

How much do you have invested so far? Do you have a business plan?
Old 02-12-2008 | 03:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KingsFanPaul1

Well I am wearing a suit

Is there anything else about your appearance that should be considered? I don't mean to be personal, but mall kiosks products have the stereotype of being cheap and hawked by 1) high-school girls earning $5.25 an hour to hang out with their mall friends, or 2) foreigners (or foreign-looking) who, like it or not, most folks aren't going to trust right off the bat.

If your also saddled with overcoming a stereotype, it's going to be that much harder...
Old 02-12-2008 | 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Personally, I would say to get a nice looking, professional looking young lady to work the Kiosk on Saturdays as Saki mentioned. People will generally let their guard down a little more with an attractive female. Why do you think my stores are 85% ladies (well that and at the age I hire, the females are more mature).

You shouldn't be wasting your time there. You should be setting up appointments with any and every health spa/salon/makeup store, etc you have in your area. If you can get them to believe in your product, you can just sell it to them, then they can resell in their store.

You will make a lot more money being a supplier to an established business then you will with a Saturday afternoon kiosk.

But that's just me
Old 02-12-2008 | 07:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Personally, I would say to get a nice looking, professional looking young lady to work the Kiosk on Saturdays as Saki mentioned. People will generally let their guard down a little more with an attractive female. Why do you think my stores are 85% ladies (well that and at the age I hire, the females are more mature).

You shouldn't be wasting your time there. You should be setting up appointments with any and every health spa/salon/makeup store, etc you have in your area. If you can get them to believe in your product, you can just sell it to them, then they can resell in their store.

You will make a lot more money being a supplier to an established business then you will with a Saturday afternoon kiosk.

But that's just me
I'm inclined to agree with juniorbean and sakiGT. You are marketing an APPEARANCE product. You and your staff need to project an appearance that makes potential purchasers WANT to us it, regardless of how unrealistic their expectations may be.

And I would certainly try to have rotating demonstrations in salons and spas. Make an agreement for you to have the ability to demonstrate your product in a salon or spa every week or so. There will be a few doors to knock on convincing these salons to allow you to do this, but the exposure in such a setting will give your product more of a realistic or credible image that many potential customers feel may be lacking. Perhaps these salons and spas would be interesting in taking a percentage of the profits from the sale of your products for allowing you to do this. If the product does all it claims to do, then I see no reason why various salons and spas wouldn't want to market and promote it if they see the results firsthand.

When you claim to have purchased to have the rights to various territories, was this a one time cost? I'm somewhat surprised that they offer you no additional product advertising or assistance in promoting the cream itself. I would think that the more successful you would be, the more advantageous it would be to the parent company when it comes to the promotion and sales of new territories.

In short, have a business plan. Realize your expenditures and returns. Asses the future returns and additional costs to you. If something doesn't work, try to determine why it didn't. And of course if something does work, determine why it did. Any business requires hard work and determination, but not all businesses or ventures are alike. What works for one may not work for another. A business itself is often a learning curve. Don't get discouraged, but also have the realization if it is no longer viable.

Terry
Old 04-28-2008 | 05:36 PM
One on the right for me

what the shit?
Old 04-28-2008 | 06:57 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by subinf
what the shit?
probably