Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Best Credit Card?

Old 07-11-2005, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Credit Card?

I need to get a new credit card unfortunately, and ive had horrible experiences with several companies ie: capital one ( did a number on my credit score when I had closed my account but due to some credit protection thingy they kept charging me monthly and I didnt even know the account was open until recently... and it had like 7 months of no pay's and over $200 in late charges... ) meanwhile theyre sending my mail to my old address... $#@$#!@@!

I need to know which ones companies to stay away from.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:19 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
my advice is to stay away from credit cards, but I have had a discover for about 5 years and so far so good.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
no problem with discover and amex
Old 07-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I just got an MBNA card. It''s my first real unsucured card.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Too Legit to Quit

Originally Posted by virus7
my advice is to stay away from credit cards, but I have had a discover for about 5 years and so far so good.
but if I HAD to pick a card it would be Chase Visa Platinum. Discover is ok also.

I like Chase because they ALWAYS offer GREAT balance transfer offers, anywhere from 0-3%, but they are not for a set amount of time. They are good till you pay off the balance. They also send out checks all the time where you can just deposit them into your checking account and pay off your other credit cards with. It is basically like a personal loan, but only 3.9% interest. I have had alot of CCs and they always have the best rates and offers for Platinum members.

I use Discover usually for purchases because of the cash back they have, but any big balance I have goes on Chase because of thier great rates. Just don't pay late of your are fooked!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:58 PM
5th Gear

i have the chase platinum card and an amex.

chase has amazing service and the support is very prompt and they send you reminders when u forget about paying the bill, so I would totally recommend it . Also the fact that you get 1% back on everything and that is automatically deducted from your next statement < you don't have to wait a year or call for a check > makes it perfect . there is also a 3% back on gas purchases ( http://creditcardsatchase.com/portal..._card_features )

citibank has a cool card that gives 5% back on specific purchases and 1% back on the rest. that's good too, but there's a $300 cap and u have to call them to get ur check.

i pay my cards off every month . the only way to go if u have cards . the interest rates are not worth it.. unless u need to take the credit or have one of those 0% apr cards.

chase and citibank both offer the 3.9% checks .. citi also gives a 1.9% check if you plan on paying it off soon .
Old 07-11-2005, 02:59 PM
5th Gear

amex is easy to get if ur credit score took a beating :-(
Old 07-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

citibank dividend card.
5% back on purchases from gas stations and supermarkets
other good perks (2,3,4% back on purchases from certain vendors)
1% back on any other purchase (so every purchase gets you atleast 1% back).

Also they have random credit card number generators for use on website (so if u don't trust a website fully, u can create a one use number and with a set purchase limit to supply the website instead of supplying them ur real credit card number). As far as you're concerend its just like using ur real number (ie purchase is charged to ur account), except if they try fishy stuff with it it won't matter cuz its a one use number.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Luke 1:37

Originally Posted by pruma
i have the chase platinum card and an amex.

chase has amazing service and the support is very prompt and they send you reminders when u forget about paying the bill, so I would totally recommend it . Also the fact that you get 1% back on everything and that is automatically deducted from your next statement < you don't have to wait a year or call for a check > makes it perfect . there is also a 3% back on gas purchases ( http://creditcardsatchase.com/portal..._card_features )
I'm really liking the gas rebate offer by Chase. I currently have a Credit Union Gold Card, which has served me well. I enjoy Visa, but it looks like the Chase card is a Mastercard. Is there any difference between Visa and Mastercard?

How does these rebates work? I drive alot so this can really come in handy. If someone can enlighten me, that's be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM

Oh, I wouldn't need to transfer any balances since I payoff everything each month. So, I believe the rates wouldn't really apply to me right? I'm really just interested in the 6% gas rebates for the first 9 months and then 3% afterwards. Oh and the 1% rebate on all purchases. Anything will help. I definitely would get back more than the $19 annual fee, which I think wouldn't really matter because I would make more than 9 purchases in the previous year so they wouldn't charge me, correct?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:16 PM

Thanks Chase was one of my first options, then discover, then amex.

All these predatory lenders out there hard to find which one is legit.

Its amazing how many fees they can throw in there.

WOW.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Another vote for chase's Perfectcard Platinum, I like cash back every month.
Amex's Bluecash was a joke, although their service is good.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anyone's interested in opening a Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Card, send me a pm and I'll email you a referral. 5% gas, drug stores, groceries, and 1% everything else.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 98tlracer
If anyone's interested in opening a Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Card, send me a pm and I'll email you a referral. 5% gas, drug stores, groceries, and 1% everything else.
Just sent you a PM.

Hmmm...I should apply for Chase's Perfectcard Platinum. Does it hurt to apply for credit cards? I thought its bad to apply for a card and get rejected.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:10 AM

The Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Card looks like its the best option. It has no annual fee and 5% on all that stuff is great!

So is there any catch? Who has this card and what do they think?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

It depends on your spending habits and how you pay it off. Of course anyone with any sense will pay off the ENTIRE balance each month. If you carry even $1 on your card, you are an idiot. You shouldn't buy ANYTHING on a CC if you can't pay it off that month.

If you can use it that way, I recommend MBNA World Points, or Chase Perfect Card. Perfect Card is great since there is no annual fee, you get back 1% on stuff, 3% on gas (6% initially I think, then goes down to 3%). World Points gives you 1 point for every $1 and you can get a free flight after 22,000 points. Basically $220 gets you a free round trip with Continential anywhere in the country.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by virtualbong
Just sent you a PM.

Hmmm...I should apply for Chase's Perfectcard Platinum. Does it hurt to apply for credit cards? I thought its bad to apply for a card and get rejected.
There's a pretty complex formula for how your credit score is calculated. There are 3 major credit houses and most credit reports will pull all three and take the middle one, or take an average, etc.

Simple answer is yes, you are hurting your credit score everytime it gets pulled in a report or credit card application. It's sort of fucked up and stupid, but if you are looking into your credit, then you are trying to access it and thus, your scores go down a little bit. But it only goes down so much in a time period and will go back up if you stop looking into your credit for a while. I had a credit score of 780 before I bought my house and now it is 680 because I have such a high loan in my name with 2 maxed out credit cards (I took advantage of the low APR and invested it in something, I don't recommend doing this for everyone).
Old 07-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm really liking the gas rebate offer by Chase. I currently have a Credit Union Gold Card, which has served me well. I enjoy Visa, but it looks like the Chase card is a Mastercard. Is there any difference between Visa and Mastercard?

How does these rebates work? I drive alot so this can really come in handy. If someone can enlighten me, that's be appreciated.
No, there is absolutely no difference between Visa and Mastercard. In fact, they are both owned by Visa and so they are pretty much in every store together. If they accept Visa, they accept MasterCard. I think I remember the rebates come to you on your next annual year end statement.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh, I wouldn't need to transfer any balances since I payoff everything each month. So, I believe the rates wouldn't really apply to me right?
Yes, the high 16-20% rates only apply to balances carried. So if you pay it off, you are basically getting a free loan for a month. That's why credit cards are so great if you are responsible enough to use it correctly. You get convenient free 1 month loans with travel insurance, theft protection, and rewards.

I'm really just interested in the 6% gas rebates for the first 9 months and then 3% afterwards. Oh and the 1% rebate on all purchases. Anything will help. I definitely would get back more than the $19 annual fee, which I think wouldn't really matter because I would make more than 9 purchases in the previous year so they wouldn't charge me, correct?
Yes, if you use it at least 9 times, you don't pay an annual fee.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Yea with citibank, you can receive the rebate whenever. You can only earn up to $300 per calender year though. I dont think I will ever get up to that much. If anyone else is interested in opening one up, send me a pm for a referral.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Both MasterCard and Visa have been trustworthy and consistent, even if interest rates are a little higher. I haven't run into problems with either, and since I don't carry a heavy balance, I'm not worried much about the interest.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by SDCGTSX
If you can use it that way, I recommend MBNA World Points, or Chase Perfect Card. Perfect Card is great since there is no annual fee, you get back 1% on stuff, 3% on gas (6% initially I think, then goes down to 3%). World Points gives you 1 point for every $1 and you can get a free flight after 22,000 points. Basically $220 gets you a free round trip with Continential anywhere in the country.
Wouldn't it be $22,000 would get me a free round trip and not $220 if its 1 point for every $1 and it takes 22,000 points to get a free round trip???

Since Citi Dividends has no annual fee and its 5% all the time for gas, supermarket etc..., I think this would be the better choice than the Chase Perfect Card and the MBNA, correct???

I just applied to my credit union's platinum card a few months ago but they only gave me the gold card because wayyyyy back in the day when my parent's were paying for my credit card (early college days), they were overdue on payments a few times which basically killed my credit. Do you guys think I would be able to get the Citi Dividends or Chase Perfect Card????
Old 07-23-2005, 09:48 PM

Yea with citibank, you can receive the rebate whenever. You can only earn up to $300 per calender year though. I dont think I will ever get up to that much. If anyone else is interested in opening one up, send me a pm for a referral.
Sent you a PM, still no answer. I'm really interested and hoping to know if I could get this card. Seems like a great deal especially since I pay off my credit card every month, so I'm not worried about the rates.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Go Noles!

who cares if you pay it off each month?

i get worldpoints with my wachovia visa. amex has point programs too.

i've heard capital one has some funky policies. chase has a pretty good reputation i think too. maybe try getting a visa or mastercard from a bank you have your check/savings accounts with. i've had great experiences w/ wachovia, and it also serves as a backup in case you ever overdraft your checking by mistake.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:15 AM
Burning Brakes

virtualbong.. check your email. You should've gotten an email from Citibank.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:22 AM

virtualbong.. check your email. You should've gotten an email from Citibank.
Just checked it out. I applied and was accepted

Not a high credit line, but its more than enough for me. This is definitely the best rewards that I've seen. I mean 5% back on gas, supermarket, and drugstores??? That's sweet! That's where all my money goes anyways. And putting in premium for my baby really hurts me so its nice to know that I'll get some back from it.

I should be receiving it in 2 weeks.

I'll still keep my credit union gold card, but there's really no need for it anymore. Some of my bills are going directly to it, but I'll probably change it over to my new card when I receive it.

I love the virtual account number thing for this card. Its great how they use a virtual account number for online transactions. That way no one can really steal your number...unless you have the online place store your info I guess.

Overall, I think it'll be a great card for me.

Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:27 PM
'97 2.5TL Premium

I have the citibank card....but when I do the calculations....it does not look like I'm getting 5% back. It's more like 4% or less. All my purchases on that card are from grocery stores and gas. Can you guys with the citicard check to see if it adds up? Like write the balance and the amount you are getting back for that month. Also, I pay off the card every month.

My other main card is Bank of America's Hawaiian Miles credit card. I use this for all other purchases. There is a $50 annual fee, but they also give you 5000 miles to renew.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We use two - the Discover and Citi Bank Dividend. The Discover is an all around good CC. They often times have promos for 5%-10% back on specific types of purchases. The Citi Card gives 5% back on gas, groceries and drug store purchases, which is a pretty damn good return on just buying basic goods. Its rewards max out at $300/yr, or $6000 in gas/grocery purchases. That's why we have the Discover for all other types of purchases.