Mid-Atlantic Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC & West Virginia

Tinting Adivce, MD

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tinting Adivce, MD

I live in Bowie, MD. I am interested in getting 35% tint on my 2012 Acura TL. Maybe something lighter than 35%, since the glass is already slightly tinted.

There is a detail shop that comes to the dealership I purchased my car from (Tischer Acura Nissan of Laurel). I asked the representative about the brand. He told me it was GLOBAL brand tint. I tried researching the brand on this forum and others, with no avail.

Does anyone have any experience with a shop in my area? I want something that will last a while and that's good quality. It's my first car, so I don't want to mess this up :/

If you have any other advice, I'd be happy to take it

Thank you,
-timecop

PS: Yes, I'm new. I got my car on July 4th and have been browsing this forum since then. Thought I'd join the community!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
TNT tint in Alexandria. Taken both my cars there, and reasonably priced. Don't forget the moleskin. 35% is md legal...and it looks good without looking ghetto.

Owner, Matt, is a good guy that does great work. He uses madico tint. I chose him over other tint places, for many reasons, he remembered me from my email inquiry when I called, he's a small business owner, reasonably priced, quality materials, and he's had the pleasure of working with a lot of high profile individuals and high end vehicles.

The md guys seem to like driven dynamics or another place in Rockville...the name is slipping my brain at this moment. Search for other threads. Dealer tinters suck. I've seen the work they've done on display cars...it was not very good. Do your homework, call around and research materials. Ceramic tint will be the most expensive, and a bit overkill for our area, since we don't get the super intense sun that tx, fl, az see. But it's your money...pick what is best for you after doing some research.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 09-09-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
The md guys seem to like driven dynamics or another place in Rockville...the name is slipping my brain at this moment. Search for other threads. Dealer tinters suck. I've seen the work they've done on display cars...it was not very good. Do your homework, call around and research materials. Ceramic tint will be the most expensive, and a bit overkill for our area, since we don't get the super intense sun that tx, fl, az see. But it's your money...pick what is best for you after doing some research.
My friend Mike works at Driven Dynamics and can hook u up. Any % u want, all around. 3M film for $135. Let me know if you're interested
Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 PM
The One

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Check fresh designs in ellicott city, md.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Tint shop on contee and rt 1, they are decent for tint, i had 2 vechicles done there and they are good
Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Street Dreamz ftw!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the quick response(s) guys!
@TLtrigirl I'll try to check out TNT Tint b/c I go to school in Fairfax, so it's not out of reach. Madico brand tint? I've never heard of it, but you seem satisfied with it
@Twisdit From what I've read, people really like 3M brand tint. I'll be sure to call and ask for Mike. I like that I can probably ask for any percent I want. I don't want it ending up looking too dark (since I have a dark interior).

I'll probably have my tint done from one of those two shops. I was wondering if I should get SUV style tint on my car? I don't wanna get pulled over just for having tint on my car that looks dark :/
Old 09-12-2011, 04:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by timecop
Thanks for the quick response(s) guys!
@TLtrigirl I'll try to check out TNT Tint b/c I go to school in Fairfax, so it's not out of reach. Madico brand tint? I've never heard of it, but you seem satisfied with it
@Twisdit From what I've read, people really like 3M brand tint. I'll be sure to call and ask for Mike. I like that I can probably ask for any percent I want. I don't want it ending up looking too dark (since I have a dark interior).

I'll probably have my tint done from one of those two shops. I was wondering if I should get SUV style tint on my car? I don't wanna get pulled over just for having tint on my car that looks dark :/
SUV tint is about 20%. like i said 35% is legal in MD, but MD does nto seem as picky as VA about tint. dark interior will make tint look darker.

madico tint has been around a while and its typically charcoal color and matches OEM type tint. look at each manufacturer's website. i did a lot of research on it...there are a lot of brands out there. 3M tint is the "popular" tint brand. i even google searched madico tint and many owner's are very satisfied with its long term use. no fade, bubbles, or purple stuff. also be sure of the warranties on the tint. matt will give you any tint you want. i have VA legal in my TL (50 fr/35 rear). and i have 35 on the front windows of the mdx. both cars have black interior.

3M will have a range of tint types, el cheapo to the more pricey ceramic. so its up to you what you want. madico also has el cheapo (metallic-matt doesn't use this stuff), to their ceramic version as well.

it's not so much materials as it is the tint installer when it comes down to it. matt does great work. and if you're not happy...he'll do it again if need be. he takes a lot of pride in his work.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Woops, I guess I'm bad with details. I meant that what would people think if I only got the rear window and rear seat windows tinted (no tint on front side windows). I've posted pics of the car on this thread so that maybe you all could tell me if it would look good: https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/purchased-new-2012-base-832436/#post13226580
Yeah, I live in MD, but I go to college in Fairfax, VA. VA's nice but their really strict :/
Well you've sold me on TNT Tint. I'll check them out this week. It's my b-day this week, so maybe my parents will buy it for me! How much did it cost, and how long does it take for them to install?

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
SUV tint is about 20%. like i said 35% is legal in MD, but MD does nto seem as picky as VA about tint. dark interior will make tint look darker. ...
Old 09-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
I know of a few good places in PA, a bit of a drive though.