Mid-Atlantic Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC & West Virginia

Tint on my TL in Delaware

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint on my TL in Delaware

Need some thoughts/ideas for my TL. I really want to get my TL tinted for a lot of common reasons: interior protection, look etc. Problem is in Delaware, I can only tint the windows to 70%. if I am explaining that right, Delaware law says 70% of light must enter the windows in the front. Back windows and rear windows can be any percentage.
Is doing the tint even worth it? I don't like the look of dramatic differences in front and back tints.
How does my factory tint affect my numbers/percentages? Anyone deal with similar problems in their states?
TL is Black on Black.
Thanks so much
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 15% tint (on this car and my previous) all around and i drive through Delaware every other weekend or so. Never had a cop bat an eye. I've never actually been pulled over for tint and i had it on my old car for around a year and a half and on ,the TL for about 3 months. My advice would be to do what you want, cops for the most part couldnt care less what tint you have. Hell, i even go with no front plate (in maryland) and i've never been pulled for that either. Its just a matter of if you want to risk the fix-it
The following users liked this post:
Tech12 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
For personal taste, I don't want different shades of tint on my TL. I tried to get a medical waiver for eye sight and sensitivity to light issues, but couldn't get it signed. The DMV will call the Doctor to confirm medical need.

However, I hear the Walmart in Salisbury will sign the waiver, provided you pay for an eye exam. It's a suggestion for legal tint.
Tech12 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Not worth headache IMO.
Tech12 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I live half in Newark DE, half in Towson MD - got mine tinted in MD, and while the tint is actually "illegal," anytime I've been pulled over, the cops don't even bother checking. Now, my tint isn't limo dark, but it is darker than legal. As long as you aren't speeding around, or running lights, or doing anything to bring attention to yourself, the cops aren't going to bother with you. (at least that's been my experience.)
Tech12 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by The_Tripzter
For personal taste, I don't want different shades of tint on my TL. I tried to get a medical waiver for eye sight and sensitivity to light issues, but couldn't get it signed. The DMV will call the Doctor to confirm medical need.

However, I hear the Walmart in Salisbury will sign the waiver, provided you pay for an eye exam. It's a suggestion for legal tint.
I guess I'm not so worried about the cops as I won't go too dark. But how about Motor Vehicle. i know a few people who have not been able to pass inspection.
I also just got a quote from a Delware tint shop and they will only do my front two window to 85%. They don't even go to the 70% allowable in Delaware. I don't like the different front and shades either except maybe a slight difference. Hmmm....
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tech12
But how about Motor Vehicle. i know a few people who have not been able to pass inspection. mmm....
That's the issue. New car is 5 years. But, do you want to remove tint after 5 years just to pass inspection?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
^ exactly... U wont pass inspection with anything above the legal limit.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
There must be alot of waivers in DE, because I see cars limo'd out on a daily basis...Pick your poison OP...You may have to cross states lines to get the tint you want and just remove before your next inspection.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:23 PM
2008 TL Type-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
There must be alot of waivers in DE, because I see cars limo'd out on a daily basis...Pick your poison OP...You may have to cross states lines to get the tint you want and just remove before your next inspection.
I live in Newark, the DE wavier does not allow for very dark tint... not sure of the exact % but definitely nowhere near limo.

I just sold my TSX and picked up a TL-S, the TSX was 5% dark as hell and I drove around for 18mo without an issue and was even pulled over once and it wasnt mentioned. The main thing is dont just ride alongside a cop with the windows up and if you do get pulled over PUT THEM ALL DOWN before the cop gets out of his car, it shows respect and puts the cop at some ease that your not pointed a gun at his face or something else.

My TL goes in the shop next week for 5%, not really a hassle imo.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TurboGSR96
I live in Newark, the DE wavier does not allow for very dark tint... not sure of the exact % but definitely nowhere near limo.

I just sold my TSX and picked up a TL-S, the TSX was 5% dark as hell and I drove around for 18mo without an issue and was even pulled over once and it wasnt mentioned. The main thing is dont just ride alongside a cop with the windows up and if you do get pulled over PUT THEM ALL DOWN before the cop gets out of his car, it shows respect and puts the cop at some ease that your not pointed a gun at his face or something else.

My TL goes in the shop next week for 5%, not really a hassle imo.
Who is going to do your tint if you don't mind saying? Never put tint on my car before.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
2008 TL Type-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tech12
Who is going to do your tint if you don't mind saying? Never put tint on my car before.

Thanks
I have a friend at Audio Jam in Bear that did my TSX and now this car too, came out good.

They use Viper Tint, its good quality stuff

Name:  2-1_zps4ef5d460.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  63.7 KB