Mid-Atlantic Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington DC & West Virginia

Body Shop Recommendation NOVA/MD

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Shop Recommendation NOVA/MD

Any recommendations guys? Checked some prior threads and the front runners that seem to work on a lot of Acuras are D&V, Quality Autobody, and Wagon Works? Is this still the case? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
stay away from wagon work. they work a lot on audi's and bimmers...i drive by that shop a few times a week...and i dont' see a lot of acura's sitting in their lot. long story with these guys.

D&V are really good and very reputable. they are pricey though. nice guys.

the dealer uses pohanka collision in chantilly off willard rd. i have gone their (not from dealer recommendation, but from a bad experience from wagonwork that landed me over there. pohanka collision owns wagonwork just FYI). depending on who you get over at pohanka collision in chantilly, will dictate how well your car WILL be treated. i know the manager over there now and he took VERY good care of me. the customer rep i worked with was hand picked by the manager to work with me b/c he knew how particular i was with my vehicles. he insured me that everything would meet his approval before even venturing to call me. they even insist that you complain if there is ANYTHING wrong. i've had to go back for a few little things but they happily accomodated me and took care of it no questions asked. if you want the reps name PM me.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Carstar davis avenue in laurel. Jermaine, He has done a lot of the acura guys cars that I sent to him (known him about 12 years now) . He is a new York painter and has been for the past 20 years. He's done all of my work on my Tl which i have posted and the only one I let touch cause once its done its a one time deal. No body's perfect but he can color match like no tomorrow without even blending in some cases and he will work with you on pricing. I've sent also a lot of my customer cars to him and never heard a complaint.
If you have any questions feel free be glad to help
-scott
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
stay away from wagon work. they work a lot on audi's and bimmers...i drive by that shop a few times a week...and i dont' see a lot of acura's sitting in their lot. long story with these guys.

D&V are really good and very reputable. they are pricey though. nice guys.

the dealer uses pohanka collision in chantilly off willard rd. i have gone their (not from dealer recommendation, but from a bad experience from wagonwork that landed me over there. pohanka collision owns wagonwork just FYI). depending on who you get over at pohanka collision in chantilly, will dictate how well your car WILL be treated. i know the manager over there now and he took VERY good care of me. the customer rep i worked with was hand picked by the manager to work with me b/c he knew how particular i was with my vehicles. he insured me that everything would meet his approval before even venturing to call me. they even insist that you complain if there is ANYTHING wrong. i've had to go back for a few little things but they happily accomodated me and took care of it no questions asked. if you want the reps name PM me.
thanks for responding j. i remember you story with the guys over at pohanka and pohanka collision. im wondering if im better off going to D&V. in general if there is any type of mechanical damage who assess that the body shop? or does the dealer now have to get involved? like if they say we notcied your exhaust system got damaged as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Slvrac08
Carstar davis avenue in laurel. Jermaine, He has done a lot of the acura guys cars that I sent to him (known him about 12 years now) . He is a new York painter and has been for the past 20 years. He's done all of my work on my Tl which i have posted and the only one I let touch cause once its done its a one time deal. No body's perfect but he can color match like no tomorrow without even blending in some cases and he will work with you on pricing. I've sent also a lot of my customer cars to him and never heard a complaint.
If you have any questions feel free be glad to help
-scott
thanks for your help man. laurel might be a bit far from me. i was thinking closer to the rockville/gaithersburg area but i appreciate the reccommendation.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

the shop has mechanics that assess that stuff. that particular pohanka collision works on A LOT of Acuras and Lexus'. they paint matched pretty well on both of my cars, BUT they know me and how anal i am when it comes to the cars. no doubt D&V will do a great job. if i didn't get to know the folks at pohanka and know the manager like i do, i would have gone to D&V in a heart beat if pohanka pissed me off. they made up for it and took care of me. i just didn't want to start over with another shop to try and establish MY expectations. my rep and the manager were the ONLY people to drive my car (TL). they wouldn't let any one else touch the car. my MDX, i was little more lenient as to who drove it, but still wanted the job done right the first time. so far so good. up to you stat. i think in either case you'll be well taken care of. if you decide to go with pohanka let me know and i'll give you the name of the person i worked with. she'll take good care of your MDX and make sure things are done right (esp if you tell them i sent you). i think i was/am the most anal owner they had possibly ever worked with.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
the shop has mechanics that assess that stuff. that particular pohanka collision works on A LOT of Acuras and Lexus'. they paint matched pretty well on both of my cars, BUT they know me and how anal i am when it comes to the cars. no doubt D&V will do a great job. if i didn't get to know the folks at pohanka and know the manager like i do, i would have gone to D&V in a heart beat if pohanka pissed me off. they made up for it and took care of me. i just didn't want to start over with another shop to try and establish MY expectations. my rep and the manager were the ONLY people to drive my car (TL). they wouldn't let any one else touch the car. my MDX, i was little more lenient as to who drove it, but still wanted the job done right the first time. so far so good. up to you stat. i think in either case you'll be well taken care of. if you decide to go with pohanka let me know and i'll give you the name of the person i worked with. she'll take good care of your MDX and make sure things are done right (esp if you tell them i sent you). i think i was/am the most anal owner they had possibly ever worked with.
thanks again j. so if the mechanic at the body shop says hey it looks like your exhaust system needs to be worked on would they most likely just do the repair. i ask because if i took it somewhere else or back to the dealer i feel like it may complicate the claim (other guy's fault). i think if it was major work it might be a little different or if the accident was more sever but for things like this i'm not quite sure what to do.

ill have to think it over and research a bit more. will definitely let you know. thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a problem. D&V is good I completely read it wrong lol. Actually my buddies uncle from the Lexus club owns it. Everyone I know from that side loves their work. Dealerships are no good cause they just don't care and warranty wise.... another story.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^the collision centers and the dealers are not affiliated in any way. they just share the same name. and from my own observations...it really depends. establish how particular you are from the start and they will know to be careful handling your car (you hope). if they don't...the last thing they want is a customer that is mad or upset. same goes for going to the dealer for service.

@stat- the shop has their own mechanics. as far as i know they are certified. if your exhaust system was crushed or bent then all they do is buy new parts and replace. ask for OEM and OEM only. it would be a little unnerving if they had to deal with say the front end of the car where there are a lot more moving parts. the claim actually doesn't get complicated. if they have to send it to the dealer (unlikely in a rear ending from what i'm gathering), it's subletted work. the shop takes care of everything. you just sit tight at home to worry that the car gets put back together the right way. the dealer will do this for their minor work as well (sublet the services-their touch up lot guy, wheel repair (body shop sublets this), PDR (body shop sublets this), windows (body shop sublets this)...so as you can see not eveyrthing is in house. they have outside companies that they call in to do some of the work for them at the dealer and the body shop. the PDR folks that did the work at the body shop on my TL, did an amazing job. my TL looks brand new now.

i know some people hate the dealers and anything associated with them. my experience has been quite good and trouble free at my dealer. as far as their body shop side...just like the dealer, you need to know what you want up front and establish the type of car person you are. most people will just go in hand over the keys and not worry about anything. when they get the car back they glance at the work, hop in and leave. i'm the complete opposite. i actually allocate enough time to throughly inspect not only the work but the ENTIRE car. you may not catch everything, but it will certainly save you a trip back.

i believe you know my warranty story stat...it took a lot of barking while the primary shop blew me off and the parent shop had to bail them out and make good. once these guys know the type of car person you are (ie anal OCD, but really nice and cool), they will do their best to make sure not to piss you off.

in either case whichever shop you decide to go to....establish your expectations first and then handle the details with the shop rep/adjuster. if your car is your baby, then let them know that. you want it done right and right the first time. you know the paint won't be 100% perfect but it can certainly be 99.9% there when all is said and done. if you start saying things like i don't like other people driving my car etc....the shop rep/adjuster will get a pretty good feel of how you are with your car. ok enough of my rambling....go with your gut stat.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Cruisin'

slvrac and tltrigirl - thanks gain for the recommendations. i will definitely set my expectations up front and make sure they know what i expect from the get go. fortunately for me the work is pretty minimal from what i can tell so hopefully it will be a flawless repair. everything i've read about d&v sounds pretty good so far so i may just go with these guys. does anyone know of a specific contact or who i should ask for over there?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by stat
slvrac and tltrigirl - thanks gain for the recommendations. i will definitely set my expectations up front and make sure they know what i expect from the get go. fortunately for me the work is pretty minimal from what i can tell so hopefully it will be a flawless repair. everything i've read about d&v sounds pretty good so far so i may just go with these guys. does anyone know of a specific contact or who i should ask for over there?
PM'd.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM

I have worked at several dealerships in the area and only recommend one bodyshop to my customers. The shop is Autocraft Body and Paint and their phone number is 703-823-1907. They are located in Alexandria, VA close to the Eisenhower Ave. Metro. The owner himself works very hard to keep his shop running smoothly and his team does some phenominal work. Send me a text 703-582-2421 if you want the owner's name, just tell him I sent you and he will be sure to take great care of you.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the recommendation. let me give em a look. ill let you know for sure if i decide to go that way. thanks again.