Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022 | 10:22 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Consumer Reports Take on The New 2023 Integra

https://www.consumerreports.org/smal...utm_nsltr=cars
Old 07-14-2022 | 11:45 AM
Safety Car

But unlike the ILX, which was basically the garden-variety Civic with some leather and soft-touch surfaces, the Integra is based on the spicier Civic Si and designed for those who enjoy driving.
Wasn't the ILX also based on the Civic Si (for most of the trims at least). Other than the peasant-spec base model with the R20, you could initially get it with the K24 and 6MT, just like in the Civic Si but without the LSD, and then later with the K24 and 8DCT. For all the faults with the ILX, I actually thought it was a good driver's car that really was a more grown up Si, even if it falls flat as a premium car.

It’s a sweet engine, no question. Some turbo engines have initial lag and come on with a burst of power, while others start off quickly and then run out of steam. The engine in the Integra (and Si) acts a lot like a naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine rather than a turbocharged one. Drivers will notice an early boost from the turbo. Then, as engine speeds increase, the VTEC system—which is designed to help the engine make more power at high RPMs without fuel economy sacrifices at low speeds—kicks in (read more about VTEC here). It also sounds glorious as engine revs approach 7,000 rpm.
Yeah this is completely off. The 1.5T feels nothing like an NA engine; it's got way more torque down low and in the midrange, and it tapers off. And what is this about 7K RPMs? Redline is at 6500, and power starts tapering as early as 5500 when the little turbo runs out of steam.

Similar to the engine, it’s disappointing that the Integra’s premium price doesn’t get you the same 9-inch infotainment screen that comes standard in the Civic Si. Instead, you’re stuck with the smaller 7-inch screen, unless you pony up the full $35,800 for the Integra with the Technology package. That’s $4K per inch of screen!
They need to go back to math class

Rear seat comfort. It has great legroom, just like the Civic does. But that’s about it. Headroom is very limited, with even shorter passengers noting that their noggin’ came in contact with the headliner.
Finally, someone else mentioned this. The headroom on the outboard seats is perplexingly bad. I'm 5'8 and my head touches the roof unless I lean towards the middle seat.

Interior quietness. So far, the Integra’s cabin seems to be quieter than the Civic (regular and Si), but much louder than the Audi A3 or BMW 2 Series that Acura is targeting as competitors. Tire and wind noise are noticeable, mostly at highway speeds. Our rented Integra had a lot of wind noise from the driver’s front window, as if there was a bad seal or something. The car we bought doesn’t have that noise, but there is wind noise from the rear seat area.
Interesting that they said it was louder than the A3 or 2GC; I actually found it to be as quite as the A3 and quieter than the 2GC. Maybe there are some build quality issues afoot?

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-14-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2022 | 11:48 AM
Safety Car

For anyone who is paywalled from the rest of the article"

What we bought: 2023 Acura Integra A-Spec
Powertrain: 200-hp, 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine; continuously variable transmission; front-wheel drive
MSRP: $32,800
Options: Liquid Carbon Metallic paint ($500)
Destination fee: $1,095
Total cost: $34,395

What we rented: 2023 Acura Integra A-Spec w/Technology package
Powertrain: 200-hp, 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine; 6-speed manual transmission; front-wheel drive
MSRP: $35,800
Options: none
Destination fee: $1,095
Total cost: $36,895

CR's Take

The Integra may be proof that it’s impossible to relive your youth. With most buyers flocking to compact SUVs instead of sedans, external competition from German brands, and an internal challenge from the more raw—and less expensive—Honda Civic Si, we wonder how many of those people who are glad to see the return of the Integra nameplate will actually buy one.

But with its hatchback versatility, Honda’s reputation for reliability, simple controls, and a relatively approachable price point, the Integra may find its niche.

Not only is it an easier vehicle to live with every day than the Si, which has a much stiffer ride and more aggressively bolstered seats, but the standard continuously variable transmission (CVT) means it may appeal to a wider audience of buyers than the manual-only Si, since fewer and fewer people can (or want to!) drive a car equipped with a manual transmission. And while manually shifting gears might boost the car’s image among car enthusiasts, mainstream buyers likely don’t care.

Kudos to Acura for pivoting away from the bland ILX years and offering up a somewhat unique alternative in the increasingly homogenized small luxury car class. Still, it wouldn’t be surprising if this is the swan song for the Integra, as a non-electric, sporty sedan isn’t operating on very firm ground these days.

What We Like So Far

Manual transmission. What we said about the Civic Si we tested rings true here: As we’ve come to expect of Honda models with a manual transmission, the crisp and precise shifter is a delight to operate. Driving the Integra we rented was a lot like driving the Civic Si we tested, which is a good thing. The way the shifter snicks from gear to gear is a reminder of the manual gearboxes in Hondas and Acuras of the past. The six-speed really brings out the character in the car and makes it a blast to drive. Keep in mind that while the Civic Si only offers a manual transmission, the only way to get this gearbox is on the Integra A-Spec with the Technology Package, and even then it’s a no-cost option.

Ride comfort with adaptive suspension. The adjustable suspension system that comes on Integra’s with the Technology Package gives the car a softer edge than the Civic Si, which is stiff to the point of being uncomfortable. You can actually drive the car in Sport mode all the time on most roads without feeling beaten up. It’s only on the most pothole-laden roads, or ones that suffer from frost heaves, that you’ll want to switch to the softer Comfort or Normal settings.

Simple controls. Most controls are standard Civic fare, which is a good thing. First off, the Integra is the only Acura model that doesn’t get the infuriating True Touchpad Interface (read about its deficiencies here, here, and here), and instead uses the same touch screens as in the Civic. The system is simple and easy to use (though read below about our big gripe). Unlike the Civic Si, the Integra comes with a fully digital instrument cluster, which is generally easy to use, though it takes a bit of time to get used to scrolling through the various screens with the steering-wheel controls. Fortunately, the Integra gets the same chrome knobs and vents for the climate system, which engage with, as one driver noted, “super-clicky” feedback. We think those physical controls and their tactile feedback help when it comes to making adjustments without taking your eyes off the road.

Engine. It’s a sweet engine, no question. Some turbo engines have initial lag and come on with a burst of power, while others start off quickly and then run out of steam. The engine in the Integra (and Si) acts a lot like a naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine rather than a turbocharged one. Drivers will notice an early boost from the turbo. Then, as engine speeds increase, the VTEC system—which is designed to help the engine make more power at high RPMs without fuel economy sacrifices at low speeds—kicks in (read more about VTEC here). It also sounds glorious as engine revs approach 7,000 rpm.

Power is decent, both off the line and for passing, though it doesn’t have deep wells of torque; you need to downshift a gear, or maybe even two gears, for a “must pass—NOW” situation. In addition, the engine stop/start system restarts quickly and with minimal shudder, and the button to turn it off is handily located on the center console right next to the gear selector.

Standard ADAS. Thankfully, Acura equipped the Integra with forward collision warning (FCW), automatic emergency braking (AEB) with pedestrian detection, blind spot warning (BSW), and rear cross traffic warning (RCTW) as standard equipment, just like the Civic Si.

What We Don't Like

Continuously variable transmission. At best, this CVT is not an ideal companion for the Integra; at worst, it simply ruins the car. As one tester stated, “Unlike the Si where you felt encouraged to access the top of the powerband, it feels more like a punishment here.” Unlike better CVTs from other automakers, it doesn’t simulate shifts (even in Sport mode!) unless you mash the pedal to the floor, and even then it “shifts” at 6,000 rpm, which takes the fun out of the car! In addition, the rubber-band effect—where power feels very limited at first and then surprisingly comes on like gangbusters—is very noticeable.

Unchanged engine. Despite how great this engine is, it’s disappointing that it basically is the same spec as the Si. For goodness sake, couldn’t the Acura engineers finagle a way to give it a bit more power? Especially considering that the Integra’s starting price is $3,300 more than the Si, and the car tops out at $8,000 more. C’mon, give us SOMETHING!

Rear visibility. While the hatchback body style is beneficial in terms of cargo room, it takes a big toll on visibility. It’s particularly bad in the Integra because the third side windows are so tiny as to be useless. Combined with the sharply sloping rear window and thick rear roof pillars, you’ll be happy for the standard backup camera and blind spot warning when reversing or changing lanes.

Dumbed-down infotainment system. Similar to the engine, it’s disappointing that the Integra’s premium price doesn’t get you the same 9-inch infotainment screen that comes standard in the Civic Si. Instead, you’re stuck with the smaller 7-inch screen, unless you pony up the full $35,800 for the Integra with the Technology package. That’s $4K per inch of screen!

Interior letdown. The Integra may stand out when compared with a Civic Sport or even a Touring trim. But to some of us the Integra hardly feels much better than the Civic Si. Sure, the dash design is a bit different, with unique trim and accent pieces; the upper dashboard and upper door panels have soft materials; and the red leather in our rented Integra made the interior pop. But the back door window sills are hard plastic, the center armrest feels economy-car flimsy, there are rough edges on the center bin from the mold used to form the plastic piece, and the headliner feels identical to the cheaper Honda’s—no padding, just a thin layer of nylon. Again, we may sound like a broken record, but for the price . . .

Standard suspension ride comfort. So far we’ve found the standard suspension in our test car to be way too firm for a luxury sport sedan. Bumps come right into the cabin, and on some rough surfaces the car feels as if it’s easily pitched about. It’s not quite as stiff as the Civic Si’s, but it’s noticeably worse than the Integra with the adaptive suspension that we rented.

What We'll Keep Our Eyes On

Fuel economy. Yes, we say it all the time: as part of our more than 50 tests and evaluations we’ll measure the fuel economy of the car in question. In this case, we’ll see if the Integra’s CVT and extra curb weight (3,095 pounds vs 2,950 on our tested Si ) extracts a penalty in our tests.

Front seats. At first glance the seats in the Integra we bought look good, and over the first 20 or 30 miles the seats feel supportive, but spend some time in them and they begin to disappoint. “The more time my passenger and I spent in these seats, the less we liked them,” said one tester. “We had sore rear ends after a little over an hour in the saddle!” There’s no lumbar adjustment and not enough support built in to compensate. That said, the leading edge of the bottom cushion has a wide range of tilt adjustability, and lateral support is good, though not to the level of the Civic Si’s more constrictive seats. We’ll see what the consensus is after we get more people through the car.

Rear seat comfort. It has great legroom, just like the Civic does. But that’s about it. Headroom is very limited, with even shorter passengers noting that their noggin’ came in contact with the headliner. Plus, the bottom cushion doesn’t provide much under-leg support, forcing passengers to shove their feet way forward—under the front seats—just to lower their legs enough to rest them on the cushion. Again, we’ll get more people into the seat during testing.

Hatchback body style. It’s great that Acura gave the Integra a hatchback, rather than using a sedan configuration. Not only is it a nice retro nod to the original Integra, but it’s more useful than a trunk! However, it’s a fairly high lift to get items up and into the cargo area, and then it’s a long drop down to the load floor. So while you can easily fit a bicycle in there with the rear seats folded, it’s awkward to get it in and out. We’ll see if this remains annoying or becomes convenient as we live with our Integra.

Interior quietness. So far, the Integra’s cabin seems to be quieter than the Civic (regular and Si), but much louder than the Audi A3 or BMW 2 Series that Acura is targeting as competitors. Tire and wind noise are noticeable, mostly at highway speeds. Our rented Integra had a lot of wind noise from the driver’s front window, as if there was a bad seal or something. The car we bought doesn’t have that noise, but there is wind noise from the rear seat area.

The engine and exhaust have a pleasant enough sound, but they aren’t particularly sporty sounding or, as some drivers said, as satisfying.

Handling. Whether it can be chalked up to tires, suspension tuning, or both, neither version of the Integra has a particularly sharp turn-in response, and the Acura has more body lean than the Honda. Still, there’s plenty of grip, the car responds well enough to steering input, and lifting off the throttle in the middle of a turn results in a nice, manageable rotation of the rear end.

Safety and Driver Assistance Systems

The Integra comes standard with the AcuraWatch system of active safety and driver assistance features, which includes forward collision warning (FCW), automatic emergency braking (AEB) with pedestrian detection, blind spot warning (BSW), lane departure warning (LDW), and lane keeping assistance (LKA).

Adaptive cruise control with low-speed follow (which lets the driver set a following interval from the car ahead) and traffic jam assist (which allows the car to follow a vehicle ahead at speeds between 0 and 45 mph in heavy traffic) is standard on all versions equipped with the CVT, but is not available with the manual transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Nedmundo (07-30-2022), silverTL6 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-14-2022 | 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

consumer reports is trash. anyone who buys off their recommendations is blind sheep.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022 | 11:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Nexx
consumer reports is trash. anyone who buys off their recommendations is blind sheep.
Blind is a kind word. I would say IDIOT!
Old 07-21-2022 | 05:11 PM
Drifting

I used to put a fair amount of stock in their reviews, but lately they've gotten weird about the stuff they like/don't like. I don't really attach much credibility to their driving assessments any longer. I do think that their reliability database is fairly robust and at least gives you some big picture view of a particular maker's overall reliability or the reliability of a particular model over time. Beyond that, I pay no attention to them any more, and haven't in at least 5 years or so.
Old 07-30-2022 | 08:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I used to put a fair amount of stock in their reviews, but lately they've gotten weird about the stuff they like/don't like. I don't really attach much credibility to their driving assessments any longer. I do think that their reliability database is fairly robust and at least gives you some big picture view of a particular maker's overall reliability or the reliability of a particular model over time. Beyond that, I pay no attention to them any more, and haven't in at least 5 years or so.
I think I know what you mean about CR being weird about their preferences, because sometimes they exaggerate some issues, particularly with infotainment and ride quality, that might not bother many owners. In general, however, I do trust CR's driving assessments, which often mirror Car & Driver and others. Their testers are true enthusiasts, and they do reward and criticize cars based on their driving characteristics. (For example, look at their criticism of the Integra's CVT.) They weren't always like this, and I remember being shocked around 2000 when they picked the Passat over the Accord and Camry simply because the Passat was a better driver's car, and later when they recommended buying some BMWs if you could afford them, mostly because they drove so well.

I also like their reliability ratings, but I only take good ratings seriously when the model has been on the road for a few years. Back in 2001, I bought a Saab 9-5 Aero, which at the time was recommended by CR. It had been on the road for only a couple of years, and so the serious problems that hit around 50,000 miles hadn't cropped up yet. My car was afflicted with two of these problems, both of which required a tow. Lo and behold, within a couple of years, CR's rating changed and these problems had clearly affected the reliability ratings in their respective categories. The more serious problem had also led to a recall.